Author Topic: Today's Veterans wear it like a badge whereas our forefathers kept quiet  (Read 6215 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Wow...remember that Steppenwolf clip from years ago...still classic.  The Pusher was one of their other great songs ..Magic Carpet Ride, etc..

The Doors "The End", background tract , from Apocalypse Now...another war related classic.  Get the uncut version of Apocalypse Now, well worth it. Brando, Sheen...outstanding.
yes great film. Infact i was stoned when i watched it many years ago... ;D i think i remember the Scene where Sheen is in a Hotel room and out his mind.. then they come get him throw him under the shower to straighten him out.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast

That vid comp is from Tour of Duty, the TV show from the late 80s.  Healthy outlet for a hot blooded young man.  If it doesn't make you want to rattle your dog tags and go waste gooks, nothing will.  Stone's Paint It Black was the original theme music. 

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
Both of my grandfathers fought in the Korean war and one of them was a Marine drill instructor.

Neither one talked about it. Not to the grandkids anyways.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
Both of my grandfathers fought in the Korean war and one of them was a Marine drill instructor.

Neither one talked about it. Not to the grandkids anyways.

SHIZZO welcome back brosef

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
What's a sniperator?

Combat ninja, basically.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
Re: Today's Veterans wear it like a badge whereas our forefathers kept quiet
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2014, 04:17:03 AM »
but our success, and our particularly aggressive style wound up putting us as the go-to assault force for modern US warfare doctrine.

Marines played a pivotal role in dethroning the Taliban and have since performed famously well in the GWOT. Their crème de la crème -- MARSOC -- has typified the sort of competence we're talking about here. Most impressive though is Marines' humble attitudes despite all this success.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2014, 06:59:22 AM »
Marines played a pivotal role in dethroning the Taliban and have since performed famously well in the GWOT. Their crème de la crème -- MARSOC -- has typified the sort of competence we're talking about here. Most impressive though is Marines' humble attitudes despite all this success.
Haha, one thing Marines are not, is humble.

And MARSOC from what I understand is having a really hard time defining a role... also the Marines never wanted the unit to exist. Recon (Battalion and Force) were our version of operators... BUT they existed under the direct command of the Marine Corps..

Marine brass didn't want to lose some of their best troops to JSOC, as they operate as a complete independent combined arms unit with air, land, and sea support.

Apparently they had a reason for that, as MARSOC has become the red headed stepchild of the Marines and the SF community. Although I've heard theyre finding their stride.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2014, 07:10:52 AM »

And MARSOC from what I understand is having a really hard time defining a role... also the Marines never wanted the unit to exist. Recon (Battalion and Force) were our version of operators... BUT they existed under the direct command of the Marine Corps..

Marine brass didn't want to lose some of their best troops to JSOC, as they operate as a complete independent combined arms unit with air, land, and sea support.

Apparently they had a reason for that, as MARSOC has become the red headed stepchild of the Marines and the SF community. Although I've heard theyre finding their stride.
i´ve heard through the grapevine that the UK government wants to get rid off the British Marines and Paras. the logic they bring is they are infantry and just the same as any other UK Infantry Unit. true..(to a point) the modern day role is infantry and i remember being told from a Guy who was a Guardsman in the 60´s that they also were airborne trained. I think it´s more tradition and pride.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »
you can have as much technology as you will ..but on the ground you still need foot soldiers.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2014, 07:28:10 AM »
i´ve heard through the grapevine that the UK government wants to get rid off the British Marines and Paras. the logic they bring is they are infantry and just the same as any other UK Infantry Unit. true..(to a point) the modern day role is infantry and i remember being told from a Guy who was a Guardsman in the 60´s that they also were airborne trained. I think it´s more tradition and pride.
I can't comment on your guys stuff... but there is a significant difference between US Marine infantry and US Army infantry. (Regular Army infantry, the Army Airborne guys I've met were much more gung-ho than the regular straight legged grunts)

I think, as you alluded to, that it has to do with the way their training has evolved over the years, and tradition, pride, and a large part probably has to do with the way the Marines indoctrinate their recruits, the Marine Corps really try to make us mean, (like someone who trains a fighting dog.)

I think it also has to do with the type of individual Marine infantry tends to attract.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2014, 07:42:01 AM »
I can't comment on your guys stuff... but there is a significant difference between US Marine infantry and US Army infantry. (Regular Army infantry, the Army Airborne guys I've met were much more gung-ho than the regular straight legged grunts)

I think, as you alluded to, that it has to do with the way their training has evolved over the years, and tradition, pride, and a large part probably has to do with the way the Marines indoctrinate their recruits, the Marine Corps really try to make us mean, (like someone who trains a fighting dog.)

I think it also has to do with the type of individual Marine infantry tends to attract.
yes  true. I do remember our regiment got mainly ex 29 Commando Gunners( marine commando gunners) and i worked with one on a Gun Detachment. Not putting them down but their skills were not any better than ours. The Commando course and para Course is of course Harder. however when it comes down to the role on the Ground..not any better. I worked with Infantry too and they were just as sharp as the marines or paras. The typical Para in the UK is cocky and mouthy.. i could write a chapter here on how often i saw them getting slapped from "normal" Infantry.

Leatherneck

• Getbig IV
  • Still as lean, just as mean, former US Marine
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2014, 10:21:16 AM »

I was in country when TF Violence got kicked out of country in 07. At that point in time, they had done a good job at making themselves outsiders.