Author Topic: Inquiry about gym equipment  (Read 8029 times)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Inquiry about gym equipment
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 08:07:33 AM »
Buy some steel,design it yourself to what you think is best,then have it made.If you can weld,do it yourself.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 08:16:37 AM »
I am looking at opening up my own private gym facility (personal training exclusively, for now).

So it's a small gym so to speak. I have not looked at or seen any decent equipment since I left US. I know we have a lot of gym owners as well as Coach, Hazbin and Basile who's expertise I value.

Any suggestions? What are the smart choices?

I HATE everything I have seen so far in Romania: local brands, Panatta, techno gym etc .. all insult any bodybuilding/engineering mind/body intelligence

If it weren't for the distance, I would say that some of Vince's customized stuff looks great and probably feels great too. I am also a student of how to build equipment according to the human body mechanics ..

I was a fan of Hammer Strength and Flex, Icarian equipment, but this was in the late nineties, early 2000's

I would look for a gym that's being liquidated or gone bankrupt.  Schools and colleges are also great places to get equipment...never hurts to give a call and ask to purchase their equipment.  However, I honestly would get free weight and "plate loaded" equipment as its more widely available in your country than getting machine weights.  If you do intend on buying from another country, try to rent a truck and driver and bring it back on your own rather than pay a shipping company.  Also buy or obtain all of your equipment from the same place
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 08:19:56 AM »
Great looking gym. Kind of what I am shooting for. Except with rubber as floor. Cathy Le Francoise had a kick ass personal gym

It's in her home in El Monte, Ca. Of all places to live why she chose El Monte I'll never figure out.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:30 AM »
You will fail.

I thought you were already working in a gym, owning it. Why start a new one.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 08:28:13 AM »
You will fail.

I thought you were already working in a gym, owning it. Why start a new one.

Are you referring to me?

Bosch

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
20K tops

locals are just horrid as far as biomechanics are concerned ..

200 sq meters tops so I need the bare minnimum stuff

Since you are so scrupolous about machines, internet advice is not the best thing to ask for, just take a car and visit large fitness centers, they have a lot of machines and maybe even willing to sell something. Spend a day or two in real life, man.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »
lifefitness and york. ;D
F

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 05:38:38 PM »
Why is it that sev can only make people skinny and he cannot make them big.
Question of the month!!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
Buy some steel,design it yourself to what you think is best,then have it made.If you can weld,do it yourself.

Definitely a foolish thing to do even if you have a workshop. Much, much cheaper to buy used equipment.

I can buy Chinese made gym equipment cheaper than I can buy the steel and parts.

I found that designing equipment took a few goes to get it right.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 04:12:14 AM »
Definitely a foolish thing to do even if you have a workshop. Much, much cheaper to buy used equipment.

I can buy Chinese made gym equipment cheaper than I can buy the steel and parts.

I found that designing equipment took a few goes to get it right.

A

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 04:15:26 AM »
You should open a calisthenics gym, with only one scaffolding pole that extends across the whole gym, mirrors on every wall/ceiling/floor and free iphone provided for members to take videos of eachother doing 'pull ups'
:D :D :D :D Not to forget an Area to take Pict. of his prepared food for the day.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
 ;D gold baby gold.... ::)
F

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 12:37:40 PM »
Sev, does your lovely wife work or are you the sole breadwinner in your family?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 05:32:24 PM »
;D gold baby gold.... ::)
tell me bout the gold plates. They r all diff. I have the exact plates w the ruff edges. Those r billiard I think?  I remember weider made gold plates back in the 80s. Thx

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 06:08:27 AM »
tell me bout the gold plates. They r all diff. I have the exact plates w the ruff edges. Those r billiard I think?  I remember weider made gold plates back in the 80s. Thx
the front straight barbell is an old billard set my father gave me when i was 8 years old . the golden billard triumph set . i'm 62 years old now i refurbed the plates but not the barbell itself. here is a pic of the training manual that came wuth it, not mine[mine is actually in better shape].
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 06:10:32 AM »
 ;D first plate is from that early set rest are the updates through the years. watch ebay i'm going to put some ferrigno and saxon plates on soon.
F

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 03:46:48 AM »

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 03:58:08 AM »
honestly the gym equipment u listed from the 90,s is the best ever imo, HAMMER STRENGTH is a must,no doubt,ICARIAN is a must also as well as FLEX, any respectable gym has them, u gotta go with your gut instinct on it.  just think about the peices u enjoyed most n the peices u felt the movement from start to finish,ive always noticed the more hardcore folks go with the icarian n flex and hammer,when they r not at the power rack or on the flat bench,squat racks ect  ;)as long as u have a fair amount of dumbells, flat benches,incline,decline,squat racks,leg press,seated delt ect,u know the basic shit,u will b fine,throw in acouple treadmills n recumbnent bikes n your on your way.then little by little add afew peices here n ther, u been in the game awhile n i think u will b highly successful doing it n more importantly u r doing something u love
R