Author Topic: Building massive quads without squats  (Read 9845 times)

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
Re: Building massive quads without squats
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
Yes I actually think working one leg at a time is better for specific "leg" development.

You can use a lot more weight with two legs (much more than 2x the weight of one leg) but I suspect most of that extra load is on low back / trunk / etc. not the leg muscles.

These are my philosophies.

No, it just means that the dominant leg allows you to push a lot more and your neuromuscular coordination is used to you pushing with two legs.  Plus stability counts, even on a leg press.  A leg press with a bilateral plate is a weird thing to use until you get used to it.

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »
exactly how these are built

Referring small size, aren't you? According the study, squats increase testosterone levels as much as 200%, so your thighs would be bigger with squats  ;D  

the trainer

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:30 PM »
exactly how these are built

Well this picture proves that you need to squat.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 12:09:23 PM »
There is no excuse not to squat but if you have a bad back or knees you get a pass, follow the trainer principles to blow up your quads.

On the leg press go all the way down and back up without locking out until you feel the burn then pause for 2 sec without locking out and crunch out an extra two reps. 20-25 reps dont go below 15 reps.

On the hack squats go all the way down and back up to slightly above parallel no lockout and feel the burn 15 to 20 reps.

Your quads should be fried like chicken.

If you have a bad back, why would you do leg press?

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »
And going all the way down on the leg press probably does more harm than good

the trainer

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
If you have a bad back, why would you do leg press?

Keeping your back straight on the leg press pad and your back is protected, use only your legs to move the weight.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »
Coach is right: I have a bad back and cannot legpress

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 12:36:37 PM »
Of course you don't need squats for legs. Platz built these solely with leg extensions: ::)

the trainer

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 12:42:21 PM »
Coach is right: I have a bad back and cannot legpress
That is because you dont know how to do it properly, first use an heating  ointment to relax the back muscles and dont go heavy do 30 reps, I have a client with a bad back and he leg presses every leg day.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
That is because you dont know how to do it properly, first use an heating  ointment to relax the back muscles and dont go heavy do 30 reps, I have a client with a bad back and he leg presses every leg day.

huh?

Have you heard of lumbar flexion?

If you are prone to back issues then the repeated effort of high rep sets won't offset the risk by not going "heavy".  Leg presses are not bad per se, although a guy like Stuart McGill would disagree, but any PT client outside of pure bodybuilding would usually be best advised to do unilateral non machine based work.

I do hope you are not really a trainer and just helping a friend.

Primary Captain

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 12:49:58 PM »
Speaking of boring and plain Eric, how long are you going to keep up this tired old shtick?

You are clearly trying to punch above your weight and are incapable of getting me to stop posting so maybe a new tactic is needed.

Although since you were "educated" at a bible "school" I doubt you have the mental flexibility for much else.
You're making a fool of yourself. Again.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »

Quit trolling.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:20 PM »
Quit trolling.

I don't think he is.

Just another useless trainer.

the trainer

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:27 PM »
huh?

Have you heard of lumbar flexion?

If you are prone to back issues then the repeated effort of high rep sets won't offset the risk by not going "heavy".  Leg presses are not bad per se, although a guy like Stuart McGill would disagree, but any PT client outside of pure bodybuilding would usually be best advised to do unilateral non machine based work.

I do hope you are not really a trainer and just helping a friend.

His back would freeze up when he did squats and lunges and since doing legs press and hack squats with his back straight on the pad he has not had any problems with his back, maybe you dont know as much as you think you do.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:30 PM »
You're making a fool of yourself. Again.

How so?

You are the one following me around on an Internet forum like a scorned teenage girl (your intelligence level btw).

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 12:57:06 PM »
"RawHeadFromBob" rolling out the heavy artillery with "neuromuscular coordination" and "lumbar flexion" haha he must have a masters degree watch out folks :o

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2014, 01:01:42 PM »
His back would freeze up when he did squats and lunges and since doing legs press and hack squats with his back straight on the pad he has not had any problems with his back, maybe you dont know as much as you think you do.

Why would his back freeze up?  Rather than just working around it you should be trying to fix it whilst also giving him a proper workout.

Lets say it is the usual, glutes not firing / tight hip flexors / tight rec fem - do you think limited ROM leg presses (have to be very limited in a guy with a bad back who se hips stay tight down on the leg press pad) are a better long term option than a simple front foot elevated split squat?

For a regular PT client who wants fat loss, strength and mobility more than he really cares about overloading his quads for that extra half inch of leg muscle.

Just my two cents worth meant with no agenda or malice.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »
"RawHeadFromBob" rolling out the heavy artillery with "neuromuscular coordination" and "lumbar flexion" haha he must have a masters degree what out folks :o

If those words seem grand to you then you should have worked harder at school so that you weren't left with the shit jobs for dummies.  Remember, it's never too late to better yourself so don't despair.

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »
How so?

You are the one following me around on an Internet forum like a scorned teenage girl (your intelligence level btw).

X2. The biggest joke on this forum telling you you're making a fool of yourself? The same guy who's passing along messages from Uncle Joon, like sneaking notes to classmates in elementary school. Oh there's a joke around here alright.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
If those words seem grand to you then you should have worked harder at school so that you weren't left with the shit jobs for dummies.  Remember, it's never too late to better yourself so don't despair.

Let me clue you in on a tip here before you cross anyone who actually cares: this is not a meathead forum.  There are lots of posters who are professionals making their living training people, MDs, PhDs, experienced competitive bodybuilders and strength athletes, various other just really smart/articulate/etc. folks.  It's nice that you took Intro to Biomechanics but rolling in here like you own the place will not go well for you.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »
If those words seem grand to you then you should have worked harder at school so that you weren't left with the shit jobs for dummies.  Remember, it's never too late to better yourself so don't despair.

They tend to shun science and reality in his religious community. Shaira law and all.
A

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
Let me clue you in a tip here: this is not a meathead forum.  There are lots of posters who are professionals making their living training people, MDs, PhDs, experienced competitive bodybuilders and strength athletes, various other just really smart/articulate/etc. folks.  It's nice that you took Intro to Biomechanics but rolling in here like you own the place will not go well for you.

You assumed all this because I dared to write "lumbar flexion"?

If what I wrote was either incorrect or overly verbose then someone can come along and school me.  I'll gladly listen.

As for my own background in the world of training, maybe I am an upstart who shouldn't even post in the G&O section of Getbig.  I guess we will never know.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
You assumed all this because I dared to write "lumbar flexion"?

If what I wrote was either incorrect or overly verbose then someone can come along and school me.  I'll gladly listen.

As for my own background in the world of training, maybe I am an upstart who shouldn't even post in the G&O section of Getbig.  I guess we will never know.

Big words scare poor Suckathon. Dat westernization = teh evil.
A

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2014, 01:27:09 PM »
Big words scare poor Suckathon. Dat westernization = teh evil.

Shizzo where are you getting this "Hulkotron is a Mooslim" gimmick from?  Are these the sort of things discussed on the TO board?