Author Topic: Eddie Bravo schools another Gracie  (Read 3404 times)

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Eddie Bravo schools another Gracie
« on: July 22, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
A

Europe

• Getbig IV
Re: Eddie Bravo schools another Gracie
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:14:35 PM »
Rickson is truly a living legend.. listening to the podcast now.. thanks for the vid!

What I really liked about this video was that in spite that Rickson is much more experienced than Bravo he was like a student listening to Bravo.

DPump

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
Awesome post.   I watched Rickson Gracie  "Choke" before my first fight and it blew my mind.    He was my idol and the master among masters and had hundreds of challenges that made believers out of people that dismissed BJJ during the early years.   He was the baddest brother and Besides Helio, I believe the driving force of the growth and curiosity of the art.

That being said, Eddie Bravo keeps evolving things but still must have been nervous explaining his modifications to the Gracie Art directly to Rickson.   He seemed Ampd!!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:00:46 PM »
I can appreciate the Gracies for their expertise in BJJ but give me that fat hillybilly guy who took on the 4 or 5 bouncers outside the club in that video a few weeks ago over any of those overhyped Gracies.

BJJ is good for one on one. Anything more than that an it just seems so useless.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »
I can appreciate the Gracies for their expertise in BJJ but give me that fat hillybilly guy who took on the 4 or 5 bouncers outside the club in that video a few weeks ago over any of those overhyped Gracies.

BJJ is good for one on one. Anything more than that an it just seems so useless.

I used to feel the same way but I noticed that even against multiple opponents fights tend to go to the ground - especially if youre fucking them up standing. First thing they do is tackle you. I don't give a fuck how strong you are or how good your take down defense is - if three guys want to get you down you're going down. An aggressive leg lock game could come in handy in those situations quickly putting one of them out of the fight and giving you better odds. Catch wrestling and sambo style of grappling would be best.

Not every situation will be ideal where you have wall to put your back against and you're dropping everyone. It's very possible that the fight will be taken to the ground.  BJJ and other grappling arts have their place even on the streets against multiple opponents.

Of course the best art would be the art of running fast as fuck.  ;D
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »
Rickson is truly a living legend.. listening to the podcast now.. thanks for the vid!

What I really liked about this video was that in spite that Rickson is much more experienced than Bravo he was like a student listening to Bravo.

Rickson is probably the only Gracie who I like and respect.
A

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 03:30:02 AM »
He's a craftsman he will evolve from this and both masters will get better. Rickson is awesome.  Eddie bravo did seel to talk his ear off though but I guess that's the excitement.

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
  • Revenge is a dish best served ice cold
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 03:36:26 AM »
That's the werewolf from American Werewolf in London next to his desk. Way cool. I need to have that.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 03:49:32 AM »
All fighting should just be done standing up.
Once a fight "goes to the ground", it just ends up looking like two guys trying to butt fuck and 69 one another.
MMA/UFC always ends up looking queer as hell to me the moment the ground game occurs. 

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »
Eddie seems so respectful to Rickson and so eager to impress him. Rickson seems to return that respect in kind and looks eager to learn something new for probably the first time in years.

However i think hes still looking at Eddie and has his competitive voice saying to himself, "i would have whooped your arse no matter what"

Great video. BTW Rickson is THE Gracie, not simply "another"  ;D

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »
That's the werewolf from American Werewolf in London next to his desk. Way cool. I need to have that.

Yeah, I noticed that, as well. And it's beyond creepy that just earlier in the day (I viewed this clip on Tuesday) I finished watching that very movie.

Weird.

the trainer

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
I am not a fan of eddie rubber guard if you have bad knees or you are not very flexible it wont work for you, I would rather use a butter fly guard create space and get back to my feet or go for a reversal and get top position, locking up the guy on the ground with rubber guard wont win you the fight.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:14:12 PM »
Yes you will, I don't train at all  anymore but I was pretty good at grappling.  First time I went to an mma class no one could tap me out with my decent grappling background for weeks. Then one day I was rolling with some skinny little kid about 20 years old, the class stopped rolling and watched as he totally shut me down and tapped me out with a gogoplata.  I was stubborn as Fuck and wouldn't tap for ages, by the time I had to tap I didn't have a clue what was being done to me.  First time I came across the rubber guard.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »
I am not a fan of eddie rubber guard if you have bad knees or you are not very flexible it wont work for you, I would rather use a butter fly guard create space and get back to my feet or go for a reversal and get top position, locking up the guy on the ground with rubber guard wont win you the fight.

Thats sorta like saying if you're not strong then weightlifting wont work for you.

You can improve your flexibility by stretching daily.

A