Author Topic: Jim Carrey: "Why You Shouldn't Fear Failure"  (Read 7721 times)

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
Re: Jim Carrey: "Why You Shouldn't Fear Failure"
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 01:47:27 PM »
The flip side is people who are envious of those in privileged positions like to think that the objects of their disdain just got lucky. It soothes their ego and excuses their relative lack of accomplishment.

Or as they say, luck equals preparation plus opportunity.

this x2.

people succeed because they're willing to take risks others won't/don't.

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 01:55:44 PM »
People in privileged positions always believe they did something special to earn such good fortune. It makes them feel better to think they are smarter, harder working, better looking etc etc. It would be way too much of a blow to their ego to acknowledge in the Universal lottery of organised chaos they just got lucky.

A lot of people who were born on third base actually believe they hit a triple....

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »
Of course he is claiming to be successful, if he was a failure, he sure as hell wouldn't be advocating risking failure.  Many people do what they love to do and don't make millions,but you don't see these people giving lectures about how to achieve such a status.  Only someone with a massive ego would do such a thing.  For someone who is doing what he loves, he sure has suffered his fair share of depression, battling it his whole life.

Carrey was invited to speak at a college graduation. It's safe to say the folk who invited him view him as a success. Who do you expect them to stick up there, the local wino?

From the looks of it. Carrey hardly came from a "privileged" background.

And there are a number of people, not necessarily millionaires, who speak to young people about success in life.

But, if it makes YOU feel better that nearly everyone with more money/fame/prestige/whatever-you-value-most-in-life just got lucky, knock yourself out. But, you may find yourself looking a bit green after while.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 08:58:27 AM »
I see life a bit like sitting at stations with random trains passing you by.

Your 'risk' is taking those trains or not. Not taking a train is the safe option. Or maybe being content where you are is actually success. Who knows?

Taking the trains is necessary to go places in life but no guarantee that those places will give you what you consider to be success.

Jim Carrey is really talking about getting on the trains. I think people are delusional to think this was the cause of their success. One opportunity was taken, it lead to another and another - some taken, some not. The end result is an almost random walk to success. So really as much as you can pat yourself on the back for taling the bull by the horns, the sort of situation Carrey is in now is simply not available to all that have the talent and determination.

Survivorship bias. Dont read too much into it.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 09:02:58 AM »
Carrey was invited to speak at a college graduation. It's safe to say the folk who invited him view him as a success. Who do you expect them to stick up there, the local wino?

From the looks of it. Carrey hardly came from a "privileged" background.

And there are a number of people, not necessarily millionaires, who speak to young people about success in life.

But, if it makes YOU feel better that nearly everyone with more money/fame/prestige/whatever-you-value-most-in-life just got lucky, knock yourself out. But, you may find yourself looking a bit green after while.
One, I don't think Jim Carrey is a success, I prefer my life to his any day.  Second, I don't envy any human being and thirdly, yes I believe life is a roll of the dice, there is no rhyme or reason to it, no recognisable logic, just randomness resulting in good and bad fortune. You are free to think what you like, I just call it as I see it.
V

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »
I would have liked to see him punch the value sticktoitiveness a bit more.  IME, letting the universe know what I want hasn't yielded much without a good measure of effort as well.

Anyway, it was a good take on the old find your passion thing.  The painting was a little odd.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 10:49:15 AM »
Jim Carrey is great.

Great comedian. But not only that his most rewarding roles is for dramas.

Whoever dislikes him doesnt a) have a sense of humour b) doesnt like movies.

MikMaq

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
Im sure banging this girl helped him with his depression somewhat.

Actually judging by the way she's made life a living hell for the autism movement I'd guess she's hell on earth to live with.

It should be no surprise any girl dating jim carey is likely to have an autistic son.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »
Im sorry but im not familiar with the autism movement,but i will look into it

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »
I see life a bit like sitting at stations with random trains passing you by.

Your 'risk' is taking those trains or not. Not taking a train is the safe option. Or maybe being content where you are is actually success. Who knows?

Taking the trains is necessary to go places in life but no guarantee that those places will give you what you consider to be success.

Jim Carrey is really talking about getting on the trains. I think people are delusional to think this was the cause of their success. One opportunity was taken, it lead to another and another - some taken, some not. The end result is an almost random walk to success. So really as much as you can pat yourself on the back for taling the bull by the horns, the sort of situation Carrey is in now is simply not available to all that have the talent and determination.

Survivorship bias. Dont read too much into it.

Ding ding ding

But of course the commoners' definition is money, fame and the mapped out family life that coincidentally hollywood movies project as ideal.

MikMaq

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2014, 12:31:13 PM »
Im sorry but im not familiar with the autism movement,but i will look into it
Bitch was getting on with this anti vaccine nonsense, she ended up pissing away millions of dollars of other peoples research money on the supposed link between autism and vaccine usage. It was total hysteria a waste of money, and more than a few babies got needlessly sick because of this dumb Khunts, blabbering.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2014, 01:15:36 PM »
he cleaned toilets in his teens.
I'd say he's done alright

Especially if it was a toilet Tom Prince had visited

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:23 PM »
People in privileged positions always believe they did something special to earn such good fortune. It makes them feel better to think they are smarter, harder working, better looking etc etc. It would be way too much of a blow to their ego to acknowledge in the Universal lottery of organised chaos they just got lucky.

Hard work makes luck. You are negative, and thus the universe punishes you for it. Sorry your life sucks and you are bitter.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »
I think his Ace Ventura series and his Mask movie were very overrated.  He was brilliant on In Living Color, and he has had many good movies though.

His career has slowed a bit though. Maybe that is by his choice.

Ace Ventura and the Mask are cringeworthy to watch these days.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2014, 05:18:25 PM »
Hard work makes luck. You are negative, and thus the universe punishes you for it. Sorry your life sucks and you are bitter.

lol.

You actually believe luck has nothing to do with it? I am not saying its all luck, but there is definitely a lottery, in which we are all part of. Watch the movie, "The Lottery of Birth."

Anyone can easily be born in a third world country living in a mud hut. Some people are born lucky and have parents who are filthy rich. Are you saying that the child born in the 3rd world country, broke poor, living in a mud hut can as easily as the kid born to rich parents, create the same exact life? This implies that the environment has absolutely no influence on people, which is 100% inaccurate. The kid born to wealthier parents will have access to better food, better education, better community and social resources, better peers, probably less exposure to violence, compared to the kid who lives in a 3rd world country. All drastically affect the individual. To believe that its all about individual merit and that the environment has NO impact on the individual is clearly ridiculous.

Now, let me make it clear: I am not saying that people in poverty can't make a better life for themselves. They obviously can. What I am saying is that its important to recognize how environmental factors are constantly shaping and re-shaping people throughout their lives. Its not as easy as, "Hard work makes luck."  ::) ::) ::)

My life does not suck and I am bitter. My stance is more of an open-mindedness to the complexity of life, which is the dynamic interaction between the person and the environment.
X

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
lol.

You actually believe luck has nothing to do with it? I am not saying its all luck, but there is definitely a lottery, in which we are all part of. Watch the movie, "The Lottery of Birth."

Anyone can easily be born in a third world country living in a mud hut. Some people are born lucky and have parents who are filthy rich. Are you saying that the child born in the 3rd world country, broke poor, living in a mud hut can as easily as the kid born to rich parents, create the same exact life? This implies that the environment has absolutely no influence on people, which is 100% inaccurate. The kid born to wealthier parents will have access to better food, better education, better community and social resources, better peers, probably less exposure to violence, compared to the kid who lives in a 3rd world country. All drastically affect the individual. To believe that its all about individual merit and that the environment has NO impact on the individual is clearly ridiculous.

Now, let me make it clear: I am not saying that people in poverty can't make a better life for themselves. They obviously can. What I am saying is that its important to recognize how environmental factors are constantly shaping and re-shaping people throughout their lives. Its not as easy as, "Hard work makes luck."  ::) ::) ::)

My life does not suck and I am bitter. My stance is more of an open-mindedness to the complexity of life, which is the dynamic interaction between the person and the environment.

Don't "lol" me you pick. ; D

Anyways, if you are born in the "West" then there is no reason you can't make it. I'm on a phone, so I won't go into it, but neither me nor my wife were born into wealth, and I'm on my way there now because of the relentless pursuit of being better. All you have to have is drive and confidence. People that dont, won't be successful.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »

Anyways, if you are born in the "West" then there is no reason you can't make it. I'm on a phone, so I won't go into it, but neither me nor my wife were born into wealth, and I'm on my way there now because of the relentless pursuit of being better. All you have to have is drive and confidence. People that dont, won't be successful.

No, you weren't born into wealth, but I am assuming you also did not grow up in a household with violence and trauma. And there are many places in the Western world where children spend the first 17 years of their life experiencing horrific abuse and trauma. This has an effect on brain development and subsequent emotional, physical, and behavioral health.

You don't have to be born into wealth to be wealthy. But it DEFINITELY helps when you're born into a household with loving parents who support you, provide you with healthy food, good schools, access to community and social resources. Middle class parents can provide this to their children.

But your belief that its all individual hard work and the environment has absolutely no bearing on the individual is absolutely ridiculous. In fact, it contradicts just about everything we know about the impact that the environment has on the individual. Research has actually shown that environmental factors influence the manifestation of one's genetics, even when the baby is in the womb. The fact that you do not take into consideration environmental factors influencing the individual is absolutely wrong. Its not even debatable that the environment has NO influence on us.

Also, your story about YOUR own life is not really evidence to show that its all about hard work. Just relying on yourself is an extremely small data set (N = 1).  :D :D
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »

The ACE study is probably one of the most important research articles.

The Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) Study is one of the largest investigations ever conducted to assess associations between childhood maltreatment and later-life health and well-being. The study is a collaboration between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Kaiser Permanente's Health Appraisal Clinic in San Diego.

More than 17,000 Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) members undergoing a comprehensive physical examination chose to provide detailed information about their childhood experience of abuse, neglect, and family dysfunction. To date, more than 50 scientific articles have been published and more than100 conference and workshop presentations have been made.

The ACE Study findings suggest that certain childhood experiences are major risk factors for the leading causes of illness and death as well as poor quality of life in the United States. It is critical to understand how some of the worst health and social problems in our nation can arise as a consequence of adverse childhood experiences. Realizing these connections is likely to improve efforts towards prevention and recovery.

X

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 06:04:24 PM »
No, you weren't born into wealth, but I am assuming you also did not grow up in a household with violence and trauma. And there are many places in the Western world where children spend the first 17 years of their life experiencing horrific abuse and trauma. This has an effect on brain development and subsequent emotional, physical, and behavioral health.

You don't have to be born into wealth to be wealthy. But it DEFINITELY helps when you're born into a household with loving parents who support you, provide you with healthy food, good schools, access to community and social resources. Middle class parents can provide this to their children.

But your belief that its all individual hard work and the environment has absolutely no bearing on the individual is absolutely ridiculous. In fact, it contradicts just about everything we know about the impact that the environment has on the individual. Research has actually shown that environmental factors influence the manifestation of one's genetics, even when the baby is in the womb. The fact that you do not take into consideration environmental factors influencing the individual is absolutely wrong. Its not even debatable that the environment has NO influence on us.

Also, your story about YOUR own life is not really evidence to show that its all about hard work. Just relying on yourself is an extremely small data set (N = 1).  :D :D
Deja vu, I have read this before. Almost word for word. Have you written this before?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2014, 06:17:25 PM »
Deja vu, I have read this before. Almost word for word. Have you written this before?

No, dick head. But its how I view the world in all its complexity.
X

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2014, 07:02:15 PM »
1. Hard work doesn't make luck (Your boss really sucked you in with that one)  Some of the worst luck I ever encountered is when I was working my arse off.  2. The Universe can't and doesn't punish (Some new age writer really sucked you in with that one) 3. I love my life and wouldn't trade it for anybodies (definitely nor for Jim carrey's life who is someone I feel sorry for) 4) You're so deluded you have grasped onto ridiculous cliche type thinking to help you manage your shitty lot in life.  (Here's a tip, start thinking for yourself.)

Hope this helps  ;D
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2014, 07:05:38 PM »

His career has slowed a bit though. Maybe that is by his choice.

You don't think the anti-gun video he made called "Cold Dead Hand" had something to do with it.  

V

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2014, 08:24:22 PM »

Your life is one of relentless pursuit?

Sounds tiring.