Author Topic: Anyone ever seen anyone ever bring up their calves  (Read 6830 times)

denarii

• Getbig V
Re: Anyone ever seen anyone ever bring up their calves
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »
how did wolf improve his?

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Of course calves grow if you're patient and train them properly.  I'm lazy with mine but a month of proper training and they probably add an inch and don't look too stork like - 

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 10:32:55 PM »
Of course calves grow if you're patient and train them properly.  I'm lazy with mine but a month of proper training and they probably add an inch and don't look too stork like - 

::)

This is exactly the kind of advice from someone like you i'm talking about.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »
I think fat people have the answer.

Many fatties end up with huge calves.

Not going to go full bro science and speculate why though...

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 10:53:19 PM »

bro science is simple.. expose them to regular stress and they grow. thats why fat people have decent calves.

most people dont focus on them enough. if you make them a priority, and hit them regularly and hard, they will grow..period..

they arent like other bodyparts.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 01:22:32 AM »
How important is bringing your calves up? So important that you will become fat? Only you can decide

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 05:47:22 AM »
::)

This is exactly the kind of advice from someone like you i'm talking about.

because I can get my calves to grow a little bit my advice is invalid?  I'm a 6ft 3inch etiolated bean sprout who has to work for any muscle that he has.

Uncle Junior

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 06:22:03 AM »
I personally don't think calves are a muscle group that are suited to bodybuilding type exercises and need to be stressed in an entirely different way than most bodybuilders train them.

The typical orthodox bodybuilding exercises like donkey calf raise, calf raises for 10-12 reps etc I don't feel works very well in my opinion because it doesn't repeatedly stress calves in a way required for long enough.

Think about it you stand on your feet all day, the calves are used to stress and your body weight  already as it is making it harder to stimulate them further even with heavy weight training so much can be achieved in terms of volume and blood flow and time under tension of the muscle in that area.

What I always found is that my calves muscles seem to respond entirely differently and will come out more through exercises such as uphill interval sprints, skipping on your toes for extended periods, toe jumps and stuff like that basically.

Key is in my opinion repeated and long blow flow to that area.

3-4 sets of donkey calf raises only makes the muscle become under tension for what whole of like 3 for minutes.

Go running uphill for an hour and that's literally one hour of stimulation in that area etc.

Not about the weight but about the constant blood flow and tension in that area etc

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 06:27:25 AM »

That's because they are carrying all that extra weight around all day.  Maybe the answer is to wear a fifty lb weight vest 24/7

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 06:34:32 AM »
I personally don't think calves are a muscle group that are suited to bodybuilding type exercises and need to be stressed in an entirely different way than most bodybuilders train them.

The typical orthodox bodybuilding exercises like donkey calf raise, calf raises for 10-12 reps etc I don't feel works very well in my opinion because it doesn't repeatedly stress calves in a way required for long enough.

Think about it you stand on your feet all day, the calves are used to stress and your body weight  already as it is making it harder to stimulate them further even with heavy weight training so much can be achieved in terms of volume and blood flow and time under tension of the muscle in that area.

What I always found is that my calves muscles seem to respond entirely differently and will come out more through exercises such as uphill interval sprints, skipping on your toes for extended periods, toe jumps and stuff like that basically.

3-4 sets of donkey calf raises only makes the muscle become under tension for what whole of like 3 for minutes.

Go running uphill for an hour and that's literally one hour of stimulation in that area etc.

Not about the weight but about the constant blood flow and tension in that area etc

Great post

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
  • Revenge is a dish best served ice cold
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 06:41:38 AM »

So your buddy Uncle Junior should have big Calves too?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 09:41:09 AM »
That's because they are carrying all that extra weight around all day.  Maybe the answer is to wear a fifty lb weight vest 24/7

Agreed to a point.

Trouble is why does it work for fatties & not for huge BBers weighing in at 300lbs

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
i thought the whole body carried onces weight not the calves alone.
if the calves did all the work, as you keep saying they would need to become bigger/stronger to adept for example weight gain but they stay the same even if you put on 20 or 30 pounds

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »

Fawk , good post.

Great insight on calve training.

However it still depends on genetics. Reg Park doing 1000lb+ calve raises with Arnold i'm sure helped them get their calves well over 20 inches , but did their bull genetics play a part in that? Yup!

You have to try every possible training method and variation before you can just completely throw your hands up.