Author Topic: Armed Dr saves coworkers after psych patient kills caseworker  (Read 2804 times)

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
The quiet of a hospital in the Philadelphia-area suburbs was broken yesterday when an armed mental patient killed a caseworker and got into a gunfight with his armed psychiatrist.

Authorities say the afternoon incident at Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital's wellness center might have been worse, if not for quick action on the part of the pistol-packing doctor and several of his unarmed colleagues:

Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan said a mentally troubled Richard Plotts walked into the Psychiatric Unit on the third floor of the building with his caseworker, 53-year-old Theresa Hunt of Philadelphia.

Plotts and Hunt went into Dr. Lee Silverman's office, and an argument erupted.

Hunt shut the door and called police. Seconds later there was gunfire. When it was over, Hunt was dead and Plotts and Silverman wounded.

Investigators believe Plotts shot Silverman in the head, inflicting a graze wound.

They believe the doctor then pulled out his own gun, firing several times. Plotts was critically injured, hit twice in the torso and once in the arm.

After the shooting, another doctor and caseworker reportedly burst into the office to find "Silverman holding his bloody face and Plotts still holding his weapon." They proceeded to wrestle Plotts down and take his weapon. He is currently in critical condition; Dr. Silverman was treated and released.

If he pulls through, Plotts will be charged with first degree murder for Hunt's death, authorities say. Silverman faces no charges and was praised for his action in the shootout, in which one of Plotts' bullets narrowly missed him. It was unclear how long Silverman had been armed at work or whether he'd begun carrying as a result of his experience with Potts, though the district attorney said he "did receive information that there were incidents involving Mr. Plotts and hospital personnel including the doctor's staff in the past."

Also unclear was why Plotts had the means to fatally shoot his caseworker in the first place. Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood told a local paper that Plotts had been committed for psychiatric evaluation in that town "on at least three occasions" and had been banned from at least one facility for his aggression.

"He's got a long history of guns and mental illness," Chitwood said.

http://gawker.com/doctor-patient-exchange-gunfire-in-deadly-penn-hospit-1610790918

bet the national news doesn't hype this story like all the other mass shootings...

unfortunately the Dr will probably get in trouble for being armed at work even though it prevented a mass tragedy

That_Dude

• Getbig III
Re: Armed Dr saves coworkers after psych patient kills caseworker
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
This unfortunate event proves something that every anti gun individual will never realize until they are in a life or death situation. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, this story proves that the good guys don't all have to be government employees because when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
http://gawker.com/doctor-patient-exchange-gunfire-in-deadly-penn-hospit-1610790918

bet the national news doesn't hype this story like all the other mass shootings...

unfortunately the Dr will probably get in trouble for being armed at work even though it prevented a mass tragedy

The national news covered this story as aggressively as they do other stories.  I saw this on several sites like AOL and Yahoo.  There are shootings every single day around the country that do not get any coverage.  The media covers the really awful ones like the kindergarten kids in Connecticut because they're tragic and newsworthy, but it doesn't mean the media has an anti-gun agenda.  That's just NRA propaganda that has been repeated so many times that some people think it's true.  But it isn't.

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »
This unfortunate event proves something that every anti gun individual will never realize until they are in a life or death situation. The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun, this story proves that the good guys don't all have to be government employees because when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
If more guns meant more safety America would already be the safest country in the world.  And we are not.  We have far far far more gun violence and senseless killings than any other country.  And yet people -- amazingly -- think that arming more citizens is the answer.  Just so sad that people are that naive.

That_Dude

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 12:11:04 PM »
If more guns meant more safety America would already be the safest country in the world.  And we are not.  We have far far far more gun violence and senseless killings than any other country.  And yet people -- amazingly -- think that arming more citizens is the answer.  Just so sad that people are that naive.

More guns do not equal more safety, however more responsible gun ownership does.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 03:58:51 PM »
I'd argue about gun control etc but it will never happen in the States. You can't undo 240 years of indoctrination that you need a gun, nor can you suddenly remove the 300 million guns in circulation. Not to mention the money involved. I just find it strange you would allow a doctor in a psychiatric hospital to carry a gun.

I often see here that guns will protect you against the government blah blah blah. I remember seeing pics from when that guy in Texas I think it was killed 7 of his family - hte vehicles the police used were clearly military vehicles that no civilian gun would endanger.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »

I dont't want a fucking doctor acting as a cop, firearms and that shit should be left to professionals, ie security. If you think giving civilians guns to use at the workplace is smart you're stupid.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 04:14:14 PM »
If more guns meant more safety America would already be the safest country in the world.  And we are not.  We have far far far more gun violence and senseless killings than any other country.  And yet people -- amazingly -- think that arming more citizens is the answer.  Just so sad that people are that naive.
bullshits, in europe there is more violence commited with lighter weapons in the hands of immigrants. People and their mindsets are the problems, not weapons. You dont know what you re talking about, providing only old cliches.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 04:18:50 PM »
bullshits, in europe there is more violence commited with lighter weapons in the hands of immigrants. People and their mindsets are the problems, not weapons. You dont know what you re talking about, providing only old cliches.

How come murder rate in usa is multiples of what it is here? More than 5 times higher from guns alone than toal homicides by all means here? Also, Europe is a nebulous term, EU alone has 27 member countries.

per capita of course

I acknowledged earlier though you can't change a culture especially one so indoctrinated.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
In europe police dont report most of crimes. Mostly gratuitous beatdowns, rapes and roberies.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »
Compare the overall crime rate in Europe where there's no guns

Burglary, assault, robbery, etcetera.

Guarantee it's lower in USA. BOOM!

Sorry for making sense.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 04:49:58 PM »
I dont't want a fucking doctor acting as a cop, firearms and that shit should be left to professionals, ie security. If you think giving civilians guns to use at the workplace is smart you're stupid.

Would you have preferred that the "doctor" in this particular situation been unarmed?

What do you suspect the consequences would have been in that instance?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »

Would you have preferred that the "doctor" in this particular situation been unarmed?

What do you suspect the consequences would have been in that instance?

why are you quoting doctor?

Would I have preferred? it's not my preference for doctors to be armed no. it is not my preference for doctors to use discretion of force in these situations, most of which no doctor will ever see. This is a blight, a rare occurrence, in this situation it was ideal.

I wouldn't be mad at the doctor but this is just another fucking issue is more guns right? if everyone had a gun this stuff wouldn't happen right? I bet you accidents with handguns are more common then mass murders, if so, how can you logically conclude that more untrained professionals handling guns would reduce overall death?

security is needed, not the wild west.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 11:01:10 PM »
if u think you need a gun because its dangerous out there, then there's the problem.

crime will always be, and guns will always be had.

just because you have a gun, so you can shoot it out or point it back at someone else doesnt mean you are safe.

its a non debate... countries with tough gun laws are safer. are they victimless?, no.. are there no guns?, of course not.

is there less crime?- yes. are there less deaths?, absolutely. are there less mass killings?, yep.

make it not so easy to get a deadly weapon and you reduce those with them...its not rocket science.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 12:08:17 AM »
The national news covered this story as aggressively as they do other stories.  I saw this on several sites like AOL and Yahoo.  There are shootings every single day around the country that do not get any coverage.  The media covers the really awful ones like the kindergarten kids in Connecticut because they're tragic and newsworthy, but it doesn't mean the media has an anti-gun agenda.  That's just NRA propaganda that has been repeated so many times that some people think it's true.  But it isn't.

With all due respect, you are out of your fucking mind.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 04:46:10 AM »
Compare the overall crime rate in Europe where there's no guns

Burglary, assault, robbery, etcetera.

Guarantee it's lower in USA. BOOM!

Sorry for making sense.

Once again, Europe is not a country. Western Europe and Northern Europe are richer than Eastern Europe and Southern Europe. Each of these regions has different countries with different rules.

Secondly, murder rate, robberies etc are far lower in Ireland than in USA. Google it, try to find any stat to fit your agenda, you won't.

BOOM  ::) ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 04:50:55 AM »
just because you have a gun, so you can shoot it out or point it back at someone else doesnt mean you are safe.

But, it does give you "a" chance that you would not otherwise have - not a guarantee, but a chance.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 04:58:32 AM »
Would I have preferred? it's not my preference for doctors to be armed no. it is not my preference for doctors to use discretion of force in these situations, most of which no doctor will ever see. This is a blight, a rare occurrence, in this situation it was ideal.

So, you concede that this particular situation was ideal, but I'm still uncertain if you would have preferred the doctor not been armed.

I'm not seeking a blanket statement/response, but unfortunately, that is all we tend to get from both hardcore gun-nutters and anti-gun libs. You can only examine these kinds of situations on an individual basis. There is no ONE universal answer.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 05:20:48 AM »
It's all theoretical until someone sticks a gun in the face of someone you love.

It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.  "A Democrat is a Republican who hasn't been mugged yet"

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 07:07:43 AM »

So, you concede that this particular situation was ideal, but I'm still uncertain if you would have preferred the doctor not been armed.

I'm not seeking a blanket statement/response, but unfortunately, that is all we tend to get from both hardcore gun-nutters and anti-gun libs. You can only examine these kinds of situations on an individual basis. There is no ONE universal answer.

I would agree there is no universal answer, however, there isn't one for anything, thus logical due dilligence to prevent MOST issues is the best approximation. Chaos is out there,is out there. It can't be bargained with! It can't be reasoned with! It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 07:11:31 AM »
Once again, Europe is not a country. Western Europe and Northern Europe are richer than Eastern Europe and Southern Europe. Each of these regions has different countries with different rules.

Secondly, murder rate, robberies etc are far lower in Ireland than in USA. Google it, try to find any stat to fit your agenda, you won't.

BOOM  ::) ::)

Europe isn't a country? Omg! Since when?

Hahahah you're delusional to think that EUROPEAN crime rates are lower than USA. In reference to robbery, burglary, assault, etc. Also to the anti gun libtards...it's not about the Wild West or being a badass. I like guns and shooting because it's fun, a hobby, and I hunt.

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 07:14:44 AM »

LOL @ thinking cops are professesionals with guns.

Dude. Great majority of cops shoot once a year to qualify with their duty weapon. I know 6 cops as acquaintances and friends. They don't shoot recreationally.

On the other hand, myself included, I shoot every 2-3 weeks at a range with a few dozen people 150-200 rounds each time. Who's more proficient with a weapon?

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 07:23:33 AM »
Europe isn't a country? Omg! Since when?

Hahahah you're delusional to think that EUROPEAN crime rates are lower than USA. In reference to robbery, burglary, assault, etc. Also to the anti gun libtards...it's not about the Wild West or being a badass. I like guns and shooting because it's fun, a hobby, and I hunt.

ok post stats saying us has lower crime than ireland.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 07:27:03 AM »

LOL @ thinking cops are professesionals with guns.

Dude. Great majority of cops shoot once a year to qualify with their duty weapon. I know 6 cops as acquaintances and friends. They don't shoot recreationally.

On the other hand, myself included, I shoot every 2-3 weeks at a range with a few dozen people 150-200 rounds each time. Who's more proficient with a weapon?

They are required to regulalry train with firearms. Europe is a continent by the way. Like Africa or North America which includes other countries.

How many people do what you do? less then 1% I would say. Still doesn't make a sane argument. A doctor is in a position of stress already, surgeons etc. " Doc theres a scramble outside, grab your glock", "be a hero". If a stray bullet killed a sick child we wouldn't be having this conversation. The idea that if everyone is armed shit like this wouldn't happen is also absurd. The exact opposite is in fact true.

I can understand hunting rifles, or using them at the range for fun, but carrying one around? shooting another human with it? I am sure this guy is messed up from this situation, killing someone, namely someone who maybe has lost control of their actions must be tough. The guy was sick obviously, carrying a gun and executing patients is the second line of the hippocratic oath.

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 07:34:05 AM »
Brother, if you think European nations have more problems with violence than the United States you're smoking fucking crack.  I agree that violence exists everywhere, but when you give everyone a gun it escalates that violence to the point of people being killed.  I do know what I'm talking about.  Read the fucking newspapers man, it happens here every single day.  We average MORE than one school shooting a week in America right now.  That's fucking horrible.