Author Topic: Any vegan or vegetarian lifters here?  (Read 3861 times)

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Any vegan or vegetarian lifters here?
« on: July 25, 2014, 04:11:21 PM »
?
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Re: Any vegan or vegetarian lifters here?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »
Ricky Williams, Martina Navratilova, Robert Parish, Carl Lewis, and Jon Fitch are some famous vegan and vegetarian athletes.
A

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »
great thread.

the trainer

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
I eat meat but only organic grass fed meat.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 04:24:35 PM »
"I've found that a person does not need protein from meat to be a successful athlete. In fact, my best year of track competition was the first year I ate a vegan diet. Moreover, by continuing to eat a vegan diet, my weight is under control, I like the way I look. (I know that sounds vain, but all of us want to like the way we look.) I enjoy eating more, and I feel great." - Carl Lewis

A

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:25:57 PM »
I was a veggie besides a bit of fish occasionally for 8 years.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
A

Costanza

• Getbig IV
  • ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Team 5 plates a side on uprights
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »
I think Marty Champions is vegetarian.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 04:38:58 PM »
I was a veggie besides a bit of fish occasionally for 8 years.

Really?  What are the main differences you have noticed between eating and not eating meat regarding your general health?  

I can honestly say that for my wife,  becoming a vegetarian has helped her with her energy,  her skin, just her overall well being.  

I think about cutting my meat consumption quite a bit, for animal welfare reasons and cleaning out my system,  so to speak.  

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »
Really?  What are the main differences you have noticed between eating and not eating meat regarding your general health?  

I can honestly say that for my wife,  becoming a vegetarian has helped her with her energy,  her skin, just her overall well being.  

I think about cutting my meat consumption quite a bit, for animal welfare reasons and cleaning out my system,  so to speak.  

I've been thinking of doing the same. Starting off with just cutting back - then maybe go into vegetarianism. For me it's also about respecting life and being endowed with the intelligence and ability to live without unnecessary killing.  
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
I see absolutely no problem with 3rd world hunters. Killing animals is absolutely necessary for their survival.

But I think if you have the ability to make that change - and many in the 1st world do - you should consider it.
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
Imagine if aliens came to earth and saw how we treat what we deem "lesser life forms".
A

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »
GET THE "BEYOND MEAT VEGAN SPICY BUFFALO STRIPS" FROM WHOLE FOODS PREPARED FOODS COUNTER!!! HOLYSHEEEEYYYT IT'S AMAZING. I had some today, just because I wanted something spicy, and it tasted like a cross between a dumpling and chicken.

Stan Diego

• Getbig III
  • A whales vagina
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 05:36:41 PM »
Imagine if aliens came to earth and saw how we treat what we deem "lesser life forms".

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 05:50:21 PM »

Ive seen this guys art somewhere, maybe here... cool stuff

There are several good reasons that dogs and cats make good pets (not good food) though.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »
A

luckyone

• Getbig II
  • 64 years young
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 10:24:35 PM »
WolfOx your friends song was incredible. Does she have a CD out?

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 10:58:10 PM »
WolfOx your friends song was incredible. Does she have a CD out?

your brother in Christ,

Lucky

Thats not my vid luckyone. It is a nice a song tho.

here is a download link for the song.

http://www.youtube-mp3.org/#v=8R0w5xVVW8g

Just right click download and save as.

Your fellow brother in Christ,

Wolfox
A

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 11:22:07 PM »
I've been thinking of doing the same. Starting off with just cutting back - then maybe go into vegetarianism. For me it's also about respecting life and being endowed with the intelligence and ability to live without unnecessary killing.  

The older I get the more I think about your last sentence. Im not against killing an animal to eat, I just get more disgusted with the way life is treated.

I remember one time driving along the highway and it was like February or March and it was friggin cold. There was a truck transporting these pigs to what I assume was the slaughter house. Anyway the sides of the cargo area were basically just wide open to the little bit of snow that was coming down but the wind was sharp cold man and it just ripped through the whole rear box.

The pigs were all huddled to the center of the pen but the unlucky ones that were on the outside of the pile were getting a good whipping of freezing air. Theres no way any animal wouldn't be literally freezing to death on there.

I don't why, (because at some point earlier in my life  I wouldn't even given the pigs a second thought),  but it really bugged me seeing them like that, knowing what a shitty existence they have to endure until a, no doubt, shitty end in some meat grinder.

I havent eaten much pork since. Huge drop. I don't eat any veal, or lamb at all either.  Ill try beef soon, but chicken and seafood will be tough one. Dont know if I can do without seafood.  :-\

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 01:52:25 AM »
Would consider going vegetarian but not sure about vegan.

I went vegetarian for about a week once and noticed my sense of smell improved.  ???

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 02:00:14 AM »

I did not have health problems when turning vegetarian so could not site anything dramatic but for well-being yes, lighter feeling in the body, less turbulent thoughts, however less grounded in the common sense of the word meaning though I felt more connected with life in general I didn't want to socialize with my meat eating brethren and looked down my nose at them.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 06:04:23 AM »
I've considered going vegetarian but I doubt I'd be able to stick with it and will end up having meat cravings.
I might give it a go for a month just to see how I feel.
Too be honest, I've almost been a Pescatarian for the past year. Literally, the only meat I eat now is fish and will only indulge in chicken/beef/lamb around 3 times a month.

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 11:10:15 AM »
I was a lacto-vegetarian for 10 years (eggs and fish) but had to go back to eating meat for protein source after huge financial collapse in my life where I couldn't spend the extra money to sustain working out and training on such a diet. It was (is) like a $500-600 a month difference between how I was living for those 10+ years til how I am (financially) forced to eat now.

I started around 2002-2003 by first eliminating pork, few weeks later beef & any red meat, and then a months I finally, took a lot of will power, gave up chicken/turkey.  Only eggs I'd eat (and still do regardless of extra price) is organic, free range eggs. Fish I only ate wild caught, never "farm raised." But after a year or so, I really had to bump up the supplements and add expensive meat substitutes (tofu, etc.) because I was losing a lot of muscle and strength. I started taking with every meal, a handful of BCAA's, and synthetic beef liver tabs (for the iron my diet lacked). Added glutamine for recovery, glucosamine/shark cartilage/fish oil supplement for my joints, went through tubs of whey protein powder a month (made sure to get 150-200 grams of protein a day in shakes), meal replacement powders (Lean Body, Met rx), Animal Pak multi vitamins (to completely cover any gaps), a muti mineral supement, and of course had to add pre workouts, NO boosters, etc. I was spending like $400-500 a month easy at Vitamin Shoppe or ordering online. Add to that the insane price of getting decent tasting vege meals at places like Whole Foods, and your like $800 a month extra, every month.

However, I did after an adjustment period of several months, feel 10x better, trained harder, recovered faster, and lost all the bloated, swollen stomach feelings I would get eating a lot of meat. I figured just that, let alone decreasing my risk of stomach or intestinal cancer, colon disease, etc. was more than worth the extra money and giving up meat (hard cause I love steaks and chicken, etc). I was more ripped at 30 than I was at 20 and just felt better.

If you can take the extra food prep time to make your meals edible, and buy the extra nutritional support you may be missing as a vegetarian, I would emphatically recommend it.  Bill Pearl to this day, swears his best gains were when he gave up meat, and he felt much better because of it. Mike Tyson also credited his loss of weight and recent physique transformation to going Vegan. It's hard, for me it was an ethical choice, but stick with it and you will feel great.

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2014, 09:17:15 PM »
Gave up veganism after 2 1/2 years beginning of this year. Started after seeing "Earthlings" because of ethics. I did study veganism in great detail, got all the important books, checked out the right websites etc ... However, after 2 1/2 years joint pain/inflammation increased and I was bloated as if I was 6 months pregnant. Also, slowly accumulated quite a bit of fat over the 2 1/2 years.

Giving up was a difficult step because I still don't like how the animals are being treated. I still feel guilty seeing trucks full of animals on the motorway going on their last ride.

I switched to the eating primal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz38ddhh7mQ.

Best decision. I have never looked or felt better. I source my meat and eggs from local producers who treat the animals well. Costs me more but is well worth it. Still eat a good amount of plant food as well.

It seems there are people who thrive on a vegan/vegetarian diet, are strong and lean. Some certainly accumulated their mass and strength before switching. Others were able to achieve great performances afterwards. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me. I was doing well for sometime but then suddenly things fell apart. Guess we all react differently to certain foods.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 10:10:22 PM »
Very interesting topic. I don't eat any red meat. I do eat fish/ seafoods and occasionally chicken. I could give up chicken without a second thought but I do enjoy seafoods.