Author Topic: What of the Universal Credit?  (Read 2869 times)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
What of the Universal Credit?
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »
Properly formulated welfare policy is an important issue for Western societies, especially in the context of budget austerity: welfare budgets represent a large and ever-increasing expenditure for cash-strapped governments. My country struggles with this issue because many lazy American Negros disadvantaged victims of capitalism are content to forced to suckle upon the government teat till death; my question, however, is about the UK situation.

I understand that the UK launched a 'universal credit' (UC) to replace previous welfare benefits in 2013. The UC, designed by  Iain Duncan Smith, was supposed to: make the welfare system simpler by reducing an in-kind benefit and several cash benefits to a single cash transfer, control costs by paying the benefit directly to the sponger victim of capitalism and thus incentivize them to control their own costs (the previous housing benefit was payed to the land lord), and increase incentives to labor by tapering benefits more slowly -- thus allowing someone to work and still claim -- and increasing requirements to seek work in order to claim.

This sounds good on paper. How has it all worked out? Are spongers responding to the increased incentives to labor? Are they controlling their costs a bit more? Does the system have a chance?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: What of the Universal Credit?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
My suggestion, transfer the funds to their account in the Middle East or Africa before they immigrate with the condition that they stay there.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »
Limeys showing their intellectual chops and concern for important societal issues in this thread.

Simple Simon

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 11:20:10 AM »
Limeys showing their intellectual chops and concern for important societal issues in this thread. total lack of interest in highbrow subjects that belong on a political forum.

fixed

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »
The welfare state in the UK is a big black hole

All the Tories have done is tinker at the edges

In the UK all a woman has to do is get pregnant

The state will then support her for the next 16 years
T

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
Is actually anything changing except the name?
Unless our tax actually comes down by reducing numbers of benefit claimants then I dont care how or if they tackle it.

Omega

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 12:11:21 PM »
UC has been put on the back burner

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
fixed

I reject this, and part of the fun of the board is seeing discussions of the Israel/Gaza conflict sprinkled in with tbombz' latest diseased adventure and threads on optimal rep schemes, etc.

Simple Simon

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 12:21:05 PM »
I reject this, and part of the fun of the board is seeing discussions of the Israel/Gaza conflict sprinkled in with tbombz' latest diseased adventure and threads on optimal rep schemes, etc.

lets just get the lad home where he belongs, hes no right being over there.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 02:55:06 AM »
Universal Credit will never get fully rolled out for the following reasons:

1. The I.T. to support such a complex 'real time' system, where the Inland Revenue work out your entitlement based on your current earnings doesn't exist, let alone work.

2. They are currently working out claims in the 'pilot areas' on paper lol. All is going 'smoothly'  ;D

3. It doesn't actually save the money the headlines promise, because all Central Government will do is take x million from one pot, and then give the same amount back to Council's in things like 'hardship payments' and 'discretionary housing payments'.

4. Once the Tories are out, it will be shut down trust me.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 02:57:36 AM »
Universal Credit will never get fully rolled out for the following reasons:

1. The I.T. to support such a complex 'real time' system, where the Inland Revenue work out your entitlement based on your current earnings doesn't exist, let alone work.

2. They are currently working out claims in the 'pilot areas' on paper lol. All is going 'smoothly'  ;D

3. It doesn't actually save the money the headlines promise, because all Central Government will do is take x million from one pot, and then give the same amount back to Council's in things like 'hardship payments' and 'discretionary housing payments'.

4. Once the Tories are out, it will be shut down trust me.

if ed the duck milliband gets in

we are all in the shit

new labour -  labour new

T

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 02:59:06 AM »
if ed the duck milliband gets in

we are all in the shit

new labour -  labour new

If Ed Milliband gets in, I will personally assasinate him by headstamping