Author Topic: Running , good for losing fat?  (Read 5403 times)

Simple Simon

Running , good for losing fat?
« on: July 27, 2014, 02:37:18 PM »
Eddie Izzard ran 43 marathons in 51 days
Marathon 1

after marathon 43

booty

• Getbig V
Re: Running , good for losing fat?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:15:54 PM »
It's great for losing fat but in a fasted state you can lose muscle as well.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »
sprinting is better
Y

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:48:05 PM »
brutal carbing up of peace

Once he had started the marathons, Izzard had daily heart checks but didn't monitor his weight, which may have actually increased due to the replacement of fat by muscle. But the change in his body shape is astonishing. His face is now slender and his legs muscular but he is still without the six-pack he craves: "I thought I would be totally skinny but the body holds onto fat. You need to lift logs for a six-pack."

One advantage of doing so much exercise was that Izzard, who normally watches what he eats, could consume up to 6,000 calories a day: he relied on energy bars during the day and in the evenings loaded up on carbs.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »
Running is for runners.

I`ve seen a lot of soft skinnyfat runners.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 05:14:45 PM »
Running is for runners.

I`ve seen a lot of soft skinnyfat runners.
I like brisk walking. I can walk for an hour and a half fast and burn more calories than running for 20 mins. Only tried running for one comp ( before breast implants) and I was smoother.  For the next comp I did brisk walking up to 3 hours per day split up into one and a half sessions morning and night and I was ripped and very pleased. Mentally brisk walking is relaxing as well. I can focus and think and I just enjoy it.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »
I like brisk walking. I can walk for an hour and a half fast and burn more calories than running for 20 mins. Only tried running for one comp ( before breast implants) and I was smoother.  For the next comp I did brisk walking up to 3 hours per day split up into one and a half sessions morning and night and I was ripped and very pleased. Mentally brisk walking is relaxing as well. I can focus and think and I just enjoy it.
Same here......a brisk walk or walking on an inclined treadmill,coupled with a good diet gets me ripped.

You should be able to hold a conversation while doing cardio as far as burning fat goals are concerned.

Running is great cardio,but not if you want to look remotely like a bodybuilder.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 06:19:24 PM »
Same here......a brisk walk or walking on an inclined treadmill,coupled with a good diet gets me ripped.

You should be able to hold a conversation while doing cardio as far as burning fat goals are concerned.

Running is great cardio,but not if you want to look remotely like a bodybuilder.
Exactly...on a good diet brisk walking and weights is all you need to achieve your goals. Bodybuilders are going for a desired look. What do you think about the body getting used to certain kinds of cardio? Do you believe in shocking it? My thoughts are if the heart rate is at the rate for fat burning then it burns fat.

Fakechestguy

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »
the stairmaster is great for losing weight and toning.

Running is good, if not the best.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 07:38:58 PM »
Running is always great if your joints can handle it.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 02:53:05 AM »
brutal carbing up of peace

This is the problem with running.  It makes you real hungry after the initial post-run appetite suppression dies down.  Beyond a certain moderate mileage I don't think it's the best for weightloss.

Simple Simon

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 02:57:10 AM »
I used to play rugby and did sprints and distance. I always had abs and was very lean everywhere else.
I miss the challenge of contact sports (no homo)

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 03:02:31 AM »
The quickest I ever dropped fat, was when I used to cycle to work (22 miles each way) and I didn't actually eat any extra food to make up for it  8)

Brutal was not the word, I would actually eat my lunch as soon as I got to work (9am ish) and then eat something for dinner at about 4pm just before I left so I could have the energy to get home.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 04:44:41 AM »
I used to play rugby and did sprints and distance. I always had abs and was very lean everywhere else.

What position did you play?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 04:56:24 AM »
When I did triathlon training regularly, I found the muscle got burned a lot quicker than fat. I also found that the body for these events needs fast carbs, breaking down fat and using it as a form of energy doesn't work when the body is under immediate strain and pushed to the limit.

I guess if you're walking a long time without food, the body will be able to use fat breakdown for energy, if you run, a different type of fuel is needed to sustain the energy output. There's a science behind this reasoning which I can remember or be bothered to find.
S

Simple Simon

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 06:20:15 AM »
What position did you play?
Wing and centre, although I was always taking the ball first tackle and getting bollocked for it.  ;D

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 06:26:35 AM »
Wing and centre, although I was always taking the ball first tackle and getting bollocked for it.  ;D

I played as a flanker for my school and college team. Good times. :D

Simple Simon

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 08:57:14 AM »
I played as a flanker for my school and college team. Good times. :D
I played Rigby league, real rugby, not that kick and run shite.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 10:28:33 AM »
I played Rigby league, real rugby, not that kick and run shite.

I would have preferred league but we didn't get that option in school.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 10:44:27 AM »

Ditto. While we would take 2 mile run for cardio and increased lung capacity the sprinting and tackle drills seem to really cut you up while keeping size. Pre season lots of us would run to cut fat and get our lungs back but you would lose some muscle with that.

Simple Simon

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 10:49:49 AM »
Ditto. While we would take 2 mile run for cardio and increased lung capacity the sprinting and tackle drills seem to really cut you up while keeping size. Pre season lots of us would run to cut fat and get our lungs back but you would lose some muscle with that.
We used to run down to the training ground (about 2 miles) I was always fucked, couldnt get my second wind, after training sprints and a game of tick and pass we used to have to run back, (all uphill) I was first back every time.
I never understood it, I think my body just got in a groove where I was using oxygen at optimum level.
I always did a few circuits of the pitch before we played a match, everyone thought I was nuts.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »
I like to run about 45 mins at a good pace but now i mix it up with cardio in the gym. Running twice a week won't waste your bodybuilding gains.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 08:39:02 PM »
As an occasional runner - it's hard to say.

In the evenings, I do either a 5k run or a 30k bike ride.

A good pace run for me is 24:15 for the 5k - but that's in 32c/90f temperatures with usually around 55-60% humidity. If I'm elsewhere - like a recent trip top Chicago with 10c/50f  and 6% humidity, it takes me about 22 mins pushing it a bit.

I don't run long distances. Friends will tell me "you just did 22 mins exercise, what's the point in that?". I sweat like a blind lesbian in a fish market for about 40 mins after the run. It's just a short, hard run that leaves you feeling better afterwards.

I don't see this type of exercise as a big fat burner.  It's about 370 cals burnt according to my iPhone app. I guess if I was on a diet it might be but as it is, my weight stays fairly constant and only a change in what I eat seems to impact my weight. If I do restrict my calories, it drops off pretty quickly.

On the downside - my legs have definitely changed doing this. Not the twiggy marathon runner legs - but definitely smaller. I still squat twice a week but the running has pretty much dictated how my legs look now.

And Calves sure ain't grown either...