Author Topic: I'm an Olympian and I will never do CrossFit  (Read 1759 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Re: I'm an Olympian and I will never do CrossFit
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »
I do not like crossfit, however the guy sounds like an idiot.

Or maybe it’s popular for the same reason yoga class or spin class is popular.

Does the idiot realize that in order to truly understand and grasp yoga, its good to go to a professional? There is nothing wrong with going to a yoga class to learn from a skilled, master at yoga.
X

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »
I do not like crossfit, however the guy sounds like an idiot.

Or maybe it’s popular for the same reason yoga class or spin class is popular.

Does the idiot realize that in order to truly understand and grasp yoga, its good to go to a professional? There is nothing wrong with going to a yoga class to learn from a skilled, master at yoga.

Let's assume what you say is true. Do you believe that whether he understands yoga or not has any bearing on the popularity of yoga? Or that the people "teaching" yoga are all – or even mostly – skilled masters? Or that the ladies prancing around in PINK yoga pants really "understand" yoga?

If so, I'm sorry to be the one to have to burst your bubble.

Yoga is popular for the same reason Aerobics with Jane Fonda and Tae-Bo with Billy Blanks was popular. It was adopted by some celebrities and then a bunch of sheep decided that if it's good for a celebrity it must be good enough for them.

Is yoga great exercise? Maybe. Does it help one relax, find their center or whathaveyou? Quite possibly. But that has nothing to do with popularity.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »
Let's assume what you say is true. Do you believe that whether he understands yoga or not has any bearing on the popularity of yoga? Or that the people "teaching" yoga are all – or even mostly – skilled masters? Or that the ladies prancing around in PINK yoga pants really "understand" yoga?

If so, I'm sorry to be the one to have to burst your bubble.

Yoga is popular for the same reason Aerobics with Jane Fonda and Tae-Bo with Billy Blanks was popular. It was adopted by some celebrities and then a bunch of sheep decided that if it's good for a celebrity it must be good enough for them.

Is yoga great exercise? Maybe. Does it help one relax, find their center or whathaveyou? Quite possibly. But that has nothing to do with popularity.

No, of course not.

Mainstream has killed everything, even old traditions that were once cherished for what they were.

I am not referring to mainstream "experts" in yoga, but those who practice its discipline for many reasons that have nothing to do with popularity. For the same reason many people used to practice martial arts. Now its just about rough housing around someone else.
X

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:08:23 PM »
someone is mad crossfit is driving them out of business

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 11:18:53 PM »
Yes it's rocket science teaching people to lift things, you definitely need a paper on the wall first.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 11:19:52 PM »
someone is mad crossfit is driving them out of business

I'm in the middle of two CrossFit's both within 100yards of me and having the best summer since I opened. I get they're injury overflow and a couple of weeks ago had a bit of a friendly challenge. Since I know what CrossFit is all about but they knew very little about me. I invited them to our strongman training we do on the weekends. We had 8 cross fitters and 8 of my guys. I'm not being a dick when I say this but 3 threw up, two quit and 2 couldn't finish. Our athletes did an extra round just because. Needless to say, we picked up 4 new clients.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 11:24:27 PM »
Yes it's rocket science teaching people to lift things, you definitely need a paper on the wall first.

You do to keep from getting sued ... Or at least help with your defense  :-\

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 04:42:05 AM »
I'm in the middle of two CrossFit's both within 100yards of me and having the best summer since I opened. I get they're injury overflow and a couple of weeks ago had a bit of a friendly challenge. Since I know what CrossFit is all about but they knew very little about me. I invited them to our strongman training we do on the weekends. We had 8 cross fitters and 8 of my guys. I'm not being a dick when I say this but 3 threw up, two quit and 2 couldn't finish. Our athletes did an extra round just because. Needless to say, we picked up 4 new clients.

Sounds like you did your version of a crossfit circuit that your guys train with. I have no problem with crossfit except for their arrogance in saying it's the best way to train.  Most crossfit guys featured in amusing youtube videos are beginners and not the elite. If you filmed people in Planet Fitness and told uninformed people that this is what bodybuilding is about they would say lifting weights is foolish way to get into shape.

I said it before because it's true. If you took the typical juiced up bodybuilder and had him train with dedicated crossfit guys he would leave with his tail between his legs with his ego crushed. He would then realize his cosmetic muscles that are good for nothing athletic. The mantra of Cross Fit is that they train to be good at nothing but train in everything.

I do think that cross fit isn't for the masses. The injury rate of doing athletic exercises that the public never did in their life has a high injury potential. That article made a good argument against crossfit. Yes, their kipping pull ups are nonsense but so is the pull up that 98% of bodybuilders do of never going all the way down and not going up until their elbows are all the way down.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 06:32:21 AM »

Hmmm yes ::)

the trainer

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 06:45:50 AM »
I hate fucking crossfit nothing pisses me off more than when I am trying to workout and some twink is using 3 different machines at the sametime doing crossfit,I just ignore the fucker and use the machine.

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 06:47:45 AM »
Yoga is popular because the women are all bendy...

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 07:11:02 AM »
I could rant about cross fit for fucking days.

I hate how mainstream it has become. There are gyms popping up around me all the time.
Then at my "traditional" Lifetime Fitness these fag crosshiters take up half the free weight floor space to do their lame ass WOD !! OMG WOD! OMG

I wanna strangle these retards.

Then there's a female personal trainer who as I call it, is the queen of the kipping pull up. It's one thing to really see one on youtube, and quite another to see it in real life. It looks completely ridiculous, a parody of a normal pull-up. If SNL did a skit of pull-ups, kipping pull-ups would be that skit. This bitch does dozens of them over a few sets and while resting sort of looks around if anyone is watching her shit show.

The main problem I have with cross fit is that the fags who do it think they're "elite" level athletes and then must do the opposite of the rules of Fight Club by not shutting the fuck up about their amazing and challenging workout they did.

Why is cross fit mainstream now? They adopted olympic style lifts and made them mainstream...I don't get it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 08:00:24 AM »

This is one of the sessions from a few years ago. We've since modified it adding in farmers walks handles, prowler sprints running back to back with truck push. At the end of the circuit which is done for three rounds, is followed up with a one mile run. It's done once per week.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 08:09:46 AM »

THIS.   It seems like many crossfit instructors just want to be crazier and wilder than the last one.   Hey, let's heave around a barbell with no rhyme or reason.  the other day at my gym... two customers throwing a plate back and forth while balancing on those upside down half-balls... WTF?  And there were ten gym employees watching and learning lol.

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »
This is one of the sessions from a few years ago. We've since modified it adding in farmers walks handles, prowler sprints running back to back with truck push. At the end of the circuit which is done for three rounds, is followed up with a one mile run. It's done once per week.

pretty sweet workouts. 

Anyone can get KO'd doing an extreme workout they have never done before.  I'm sure you would get floored too if you went and did some Crossfit Hero WODs.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 01:02:33 PM »
pretty sweet workouts. 

Anyone can get KO'd doing an extreme workout they have never done before.  I'm sure you would get floored too if you went and did some Crossfit Hero WODs.

Back then no, now yes. Those training sessions were designed for fighters and football players coming up on their season. On that note we have had CF'ers run intervals on hill sprints against our football guys who did the same thing and our guys were waring vests ranging from 20-40lbs. Hill sprints consisted of 110 yards at about 45 degrees, :20 to the top :60-:90 recovery to the bottom. In week one they started with 12 sprints. The CF'ers couldn't finish. One of them was the Owner of Box they other trained at the REEBOK CF In Hollywood.

Conditioning isn't the same, with the loads that we use (mostly strongman) are significantly greater than what CF uses but with greater intensity. The key's to not having injury is RECOVERY. 

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »
Crossfiters attempt to perform snatch and clean and jerk movements is laughable to say the least. 0 technique.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »
so many ruined backs and bodies in decades from now...

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 02:07:02 PM »
I am more impressed with very slow pull ups, human flag etc that kind of thing.

Why cant they do that?