Author Topic: Non-lifter crashes plane on FL beach. Kills 1, another in critical condition  (Read 7249 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
 >:(   
This story angers me.  Pilot and passenger were unharmed.  They had no problem just coasting into a beach of people.  Take that plane into the drink and deal with death or injury.  It's what you sign up for.  Don't land on people.  I hope they charge this pilot.  I'm sure he feels bad, but if the plane works well enough to find/coast/safely land on the sand, you better look for people before making that choice.

Plane Crash on Fla. Beach Kills Dad, Injures Daughter

SARASOTA, Fla. — Jul 27, 2014, 9:49 PM ET
 Associated Press
A father was killed and his daughter seriously injured while walking along a Florida beach when a small plane crash landed Sunday on the Gulf Coast only feet from the surf, authorities said.

Wendy Rose, a spokeswoman for the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office, said the pilot and his only passenger weren't hurt when the Piper aircraft lost power and touched down Sunday afternoon near Venice Beach.

"A man and one of his children who were walking on the beach were apparently injured by the plane," said Rose, adding the man was later pronounced dead.

She said events began unfolding about 2:45 p.m. Sunday when the Venice airport received a distress call at 2:45 p.m. that the plane couldn't make it back to the airport.

"They were contacted by a pilot whose small plane was in distress. He knew he couldn't make it back to the airport and was going to try to land on the beach. And he did land at the edge of the water on the beach," Rose said.

She said the girl was airlifted to a children's hospital where she was believed to be in critical condition. The identities of those involved were not immediately released.

Photos and video footage taken at the scene showed the Piper Cherokee, its nose pointed down and nearly touching white sans only feet from a gentle lapping surf. The left wing appeared to extend over the water's edge. A police boat was anchored nearby and a law enforcement officer stood close by. Bystanders gawked from a distance.

Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, told The Associated Press in an email that the FAA was investigating. She said the plane reportedly lost power and landed on the sand near Caspersen Beach in Venice but she had no further details as of Sunday evening.

National Transportation and Safety Board investigators have headed to the site.

"We don't know exactly what caused the crash but the NTSB is en route and will investigate," added Rose, a community affairs manager for the sheriff's office.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
Is that a rule, that they must ditch away from people? I always wondered that, if they were required to minimize loss of life.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
>:(   
This story angers me.  Pilot and passenger were unharmed.  They had no problem just coasting into a beach of people.  Take that plane into the drink and deal with death or injury.  It's what you sign up for.  Don't land on people.  I hope they charge this pilot.  I'm sure he feels bad, but if the plane works well enough to find/coast/safely land on the sand, you better look for people before making that choice.

Plane Crash on Fla. Beach Kills Dad, Injures Daughter

SARASOTA, Fla. — Jul 27, 2014, 9:49 PM ET
 Associated Press
A father was killed and his daughter seriously injured while walking along a Florida beach when a small plane crash landed Sunday on the Gulf Coast only feet from the surf, authorities said.

Wendy Rose, a spokeswoman for the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office, said the pilot and his only passenger weren't hurt when the Piper aircraft lost power and touched down Sunday afternoon near Venice Beach.

"A man and one of his children who were walking on the beach were apparently injured by the plane," said Rose, adding the man was later pronounced dead.

She said events began unfolding about 2:45 p.m. Sunday when the Venice airport received a distress call at 2:45 p.m. that the plane couldn't make it back to the airport.

"They were contacted by a pilot whose small plane was in distress. He knew he couldn't make it back to the airport and was going to try to land on the beach. And he did land at the edge of the water on the beach," Rose said.

She said the girl was airlifted to a children's hospital where she was believed to be in critical condition. The identities of those involved were not immediately released.

Photos and video footage taken at the scene showed the Piper Cherokee, its nose pointed down and nearly touching white sans only feet from a gentle lapping surf. The left wing appeared to extend over the water's edge. A police boat was anchored nearby and a law enforcement officer stood close by. Bystanders gawked from a distance.

Kathleen Bergen, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, told The Associated Press in an email that the FAA was investigating. She said the plane reportedly lost power and landed on the sand near Caspersen Beach in Venice but she had no further details as of Sunday evening.

National Transportation and Safety Board investigators have headed to the site.

"We don't know exactly what caused the crash but the NTSB is en route and will investigate," added Rose, a community affairs manager for the sheriff's office.

I don't understand why the pilot would do this? WTF was he thinking?

I've seen videos of water landings, I thought you could basically stall a small plane and fall right down into the water safely?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Ban small aircraft!! No reason for an individual to fly his own plane. Everyone should depend on airlines for safe and protected travels.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
Presuming he knew those people were there - that is fucked up.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Ban small aircraft!! No reason for an individual to fly his own plane. Everyone should depend on airlines for safe and protected travels.

there's been a few crashes in Fl lately.  Pilots blame the weather, etc.  But there's a certain responsibility that comes with getting a fast piece of metal and flying over people.  People don't keep their planes up to standard, they fly right into shitty weather, they misjudge their fuel, etc.  

In this case, dude had adequate stick to safely coast it to the beach, he wasn't in a dead fall or dive.  Just ran em over :(

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V

x2

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
At least we know the pilot is a non-lifter. His lack of willpower sickens me.

chaos

• Getbig V
there's been a few crashes in Fl lately.  Pilots blame the weather, etc.  But there's a certain responsibility that comes with getting a fast piece of metal and flying over people.  People don't keep their planes up to standard, they fly right into shitty weather, they misjudge their fuel, etc.  

In this case, dude had adequate stick to safely coast it to the beach, he wasn't in a dead fall or dive.  Just ran em over :(
Yes, small planes are dangerous weapons and only government agencies should own/operate them! No need for the general public to have access to these machines!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Yes, small planes are dangerous weapons and only government agencies should own/operate them! No need for the general public to have access to these machines!

I am 100% cool with people flying.  Many of them are veterans that learned in the military and just love to fly.  This is america, baby!  Totally cool.

But we have it on the news all the time here... people up and fly into a storm.  They don't measure their fuel and run out on the way back to airport.  They miss req'd maintenance checkups.  usually older people that just plumb forgot or "miscalculated their gas".

People that get a piece of metal over our heads irresponsibly = totally suck.  If they drop a metal plane into a crowded beach because they didn't double check their fuel math, they shouldn't be flying anymore. 

chaos

• Getbig V
I am 100% cool with people flying.  Many of them are veterans that learned in the military and just love to fly.  This is america, baby!  Totally cool.

But we have it on the news all the time here... people up and fly into a storm.  They don't measure their fuel and run out on the way back to airport.  They miss req'd maintenance checkups.  usually older people that just plumb forgot or "miscalculated their gas".

People that get a piece of metal over our heads irresponsibly = totally suck.  If they drop a metal plane into a crowded beach because they didn't double check their fuel math, they shouldn't be flying anymore. 
Ban airplanes! !
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
Enough excuses from the aviation sympathizers. Ban these death machines ASAP.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
Additionally bodybuilding related because it was on a Venice Beach.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Additionally bodybuilding related because it was on a Venice Beach.

Horrible story.  :(   Make my blood boil.  Dude is so happy, posting pics.  Never saw it coming.

It made national news as the top story on AOL and others.  People are outraged.  Looks from angle like pilot (unharmed with passenger) just made it to the shore.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
So...how do you not see a plane coming in at you?

Ban beaches!

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • bhank is coming….
These flyboys make me sick

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES

Give everyone small aircraft so noone flies them dangerously. Giving everyone a small aircraft would make it safer for the good pilots.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Somewhere there is someone saying "Thank God he and his daughter are safe! it's a miracle!" ...completely overlooking the obvious....  ;)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
VENICE, Fla. - Oceana Irizarry, the 9-year-old critically injured when a plane crash landed onto Caspersen Beach Sunday, has died from injuries sustained in the accident. Her father, United States Army Sgt. Ommy Irizarry, was also hit and died on the scene.

This morning, the family released the following statement:

"Our precious Oceana has joined her daddy in heaven. She was nine years old. Oceana was a beautiful, intelligent and kind-hearted little girl. She was a natural artist who loved to learn. She was looking forward to the 4th grade. Ommy, a Sergeant First Class in the Army, was a beloved husband, father, son, brother, friend and soldier. He lit up the room whenever he entered and was devoted to his family. There are no words to describe the suffering we are experiencing. Their loss is devastating to our family and to everyone who knew them. Thank you to our many loved ones, friends and strangers for your outpouring of love and prayers. Although they are gone, Ommy and Oceana live on through organ donation. Forever, they will be in our hearts. To all of those who helped us on the beach and medical personnel, thank you for your efforts to save them. We will always be grateful to All Children's Hospital for your skilled and loving care of Oceana and our family. In sorrow, the Irizarry and Power families"

Investigators said the pilot made a distress call and may have lost power before landing on the beach, losing a wheel and smashing a propeller.

The pilot and passenger were not hurt.

Irizarry's mother had medical issues unrelated to the crash, and was treated and released from Venice Regional Bayfront Health.

Investigators said it's still unclear if Irizarry and his daughter were hit by the plane or debris.

Irizarry was stationed at Ft. Stewart, Georgia.

The father's final Facebook post said yesterday was his 9-year anniversary with his wife, and said, "I can't wait to see what the next 100 have in store for us."

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
VENICE, Fla. - Oceana Irizarry, the 9-year-old critically injured when a plane crash landed onto Caspersen Beach Sunday, has died from injuries sustained in the accident. Her father, United States Army Sgt. Ommy Irizarry, was also hit and died on the scene.

This morning, the family released the following statement:

"Our precious Oceana has joined her daddy in heaven. She was nine years old. Oceana was a beautiful, intelligent and kind-hearted little girl. She was a natural artist who loved to learn. She was looking forward to the 4th grade. Ommy, a Sergeant First Class in the Army, was a beloved husband, father, son, brother, friend and soldier. He lit up the room whenever he entered and was devoted to his family. There are no words to describe the suffering we are experiencing. Their loss is devastating to our family and to everyone who knew them. Thank you to our many loved ones, friends and strangers for your outpouring of love and prayers. Although they are gone, Ommy and Oceana live on through organ donation. Forever, they will be in our hearts. To all of those who helped us on the beach and medical personnel, thank you for your efforts to save them. We will always be grateful to All Children's Hospital for your skilled and loving care of Oceana and our family. In sorrow, the Irizarry and Power families"

Investigators said the pilot made a distress call and may have lost power before landing on the beach, losing a wheel and smashing a propeller.

The pilot and passenger were not hurt.

Irizarry's mother had medical issues unrelated to the crash, and was treated and released from Venice Regional Bayfront Health.

Investigators said it's still unclear if Irizarry and his daughter were hit by the plane or debris.

Irizarry was stationed at Ft. Stewart, Georgia.

The father's final Facebook post said yesterday was his 9-year anniversary with his wife, and said, "I can't wait to see what the next 100 have in store for us."

Maybe this stupid ass pilot lost control? I don't think so, looks like he landed where he wanted to.  :-X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Maybe this stupid ass pilot lost control? I don't think so, looks like he landed where he wanted to.  :-X

THE PILOT

People on Bayshore Drive in Englewood learned the pilot and passenger that walked away from the crash are their neighbors.

Ed Smith lives next door to pilot Karl Kokomoor. He read about the crash just before we talked to him.

"Just knowing the way that family is, he's going to be upset for a long time. Without even getting into the personality, he's just, like, a real guy, you know?" Smith said.

No one answered the door at the Kokomoor home Monday.

DMK Associates, an engineering firm where Kokomoor is president, issued this statement:

"All of us at DMK Associates are praying for Oceana's recovery and for the comfort of the family in this loss. Karl Kokomoor is assisting the FAA and related agencies with the accident investigation."

Both Kokomoor and the passenger, David Theen, live next to Buchan Airport, a small county airstrip.

No one answered at Theen's home either. Neighbors say the plane that crashed was housed on in a hangar behind Theen's home.

Neighbors say Theen is also a pilot.

"He's a competent pilot. I don't know what he had to do with it except he was along for the ride," said neighbor Dan Harrison

"It could happen to you, [you] could go out and kill someone with your car right now, you know. It happened, it's an accident," Smith said.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
"It could happen to you, [you] could go out and kill someone with your car right now, you know. It happened, it's an accident," Smith said.

:-[

manuelsonn

• Getbig IV
  • Team BAN CREATINE!
THE PILOT

People on Bayshore Drive in Englewood learned the pilot and passenger that walked away from the crash are their neighbors.

Ed Smith lives next door to pilot Karl Kokomoor. He read about the crash just before we talked to him.

"Just knowing the way that family is, he's going to be upset for a long time. Without even getting into the personality, he's just, like, a real guy, you know?" Smith said.

No one answered the door at the Kokomoor home Monday.

DMK Associates, an engineering firm where Kokomoor is president, issued this statement:

"All of us at DMK Associates are praying for Oceana's recovery and for the comfort of the family in this loss. Karl Kokomoor is assisting the FAA and related agencies with the accident investigation."

Both Kokomoor and the passenger, David Theen, live next to Buchan Airport, a small county airstrip.

No one answered at Theen's home either. Neighbors say the plane that crashed was housed on in a hangar behind Theen's home.

Neighbors say Theen is also a pilot.

"He's a competent pilot. I don't know what he had to do with it except he was along for the ride," said neighbor Dan Harrison

Well i think thats better than to be killed with a car right now. you know. Zero empaty piece of shit plane pilot of peace

pluck

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
ALLAH SNACKBAR !!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
I don't understand why the pilot would do this? WTF was he thinking?

I've seen videos of water landings, I thought you could basically stall a small plane and fall right down into the water safely?

http://www.thekathrynreport.com/2014/07/piper-pa-28-181-archer-ii-n8826c.html?showComment=1406568681084

Federal investigators are still trying to figure out why a small plane landed on a Venice beach on Sunday, killing a Georgia father and critically injuring his 9-year-old daughter as they walked along the sand.

But aviation experts contacted by the Tampa Bay Times offered explanations for the puzzling accident. Couldn't the father have gotten himself and his daughter out of the way? Why didn't the pilot try to avoid them?

It was not clear Monday afternoon what forced pilot Karl Kokomoor, 57, to make an emergency landing on Caspersen Beach, a strip of sand popular for shelling. Venice Municipal Airport was about a mile away.

It's possible the pilot didn't see Ommy Irizarry and his daughter Oceana, said Rex Myers, who manages the Pilot Country Airport in Spring Hill. Kokomoor could have been distracted by the dual pressures of keeping the airplane gliding smoothly to the beach and scouting out a landing strip.

"My guess is, he was concentrating so hard on landing the airplane on the beach that he literally didn't see the people," Myers said.

What's more, if the plane's engine failed, it would have been gliding in almost silently, said Stuart Campbell, assistant professor of aeronautical science at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University.

That means the 36-year-old father, on vacation with his family, wouldn't have heard the small Piper Cherokee plane behind them until seconds before they were struck.

"It's like a car passing you," Campbell said. "You don't hear the car until it's right up on you, maybe due to wind or maybe due to noise."

Myers agreed.

"If you're walking on the beach and your back is to the airplane, you would never hear it coming," Myers said.

Ommy died at the scene. Oceana was airlifted to All Children's Hospital Johns Hopkins Medicine, where she remained in critical condition Monday.

Myers, 71, a retired Boeing 767 pilot who also flies small aircraft, said if he had seen the family, he would have steered his plane into the water at the last second. But that sort of landing usually causes the plane to flip, leaving the cabin in the water and the pilot disoriented.

"It's almost always fatal," Myers said.

Pilots are trained to scout a suitable landing strip at all times, Campbell said. When it became clear that the plane wouldn't make it to the airport, Campbell said, the pilot would have had just a split second to find a second option.

"Personally, if I had a choice, I would land on the beach and not the water," Campbell said.

Campbell added that the pilot's thinking may have changed because he was carrying a passenger.

Kokomoor and passenger David Theen, 60, were uninjured.

Venice Municipal Airport does not have a control tower, but pilots use radios to coordinate their takeoffs and landings. Kokomoor made a distress call via radio on Sunday just before the crash.

Callers first from the airport, then from the beach reported the plane going down.

"It hit the water then kind of rolled up on the sand," one caller told a dispatcher.

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=N8826C
Registered Owner
Name    COLE JONATHAN H
Street    2460 BUCKSKIN DR

City    ENGLEWOOD    State    FLORIDA
County    SARASOTA    Zip Code    34223-5205
Country    UNITED STATES
Serial Number    28-7690168    Status    Valid
Manufacturer Name    PIPER    Certificate Issue Date    07/22/1993
Model    PA-28-181    Expiration Date    10/31/2017
Type Aircraft    Fixed Wing Single-Engine    Type Engine    Reciprocating
Pending Number Change    None    Dealer    No