Author Topic: Non-lifter crashes plane on FL beach. Kills 1, another in critical condition  (Read 7261 times)

denarii

• Getbig V
that plane would probably stall at under 80mph so they could have cruised it onto the water.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
seriously, another one.   luckily, they didn't land on anyone. 

Kid, fix your damn plane.

Emergency landing in Miami Beach
Posted: Jul 29, 2014 2:12 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 29, 2014 2:22 PM EDT

(AP) - A small plane has made an emergency landing on Miami Beach.

Miami Beach Police Det. Vivian Thayer says no one was injured as the plane touched ground at about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Thayer described the aircraft as a Cessna-type plane and said it landed on the beach due to an engine malfunction.

The incident comes two days after a plane crash-landed on a beach in Venice, striking a 9-year-old girl and her father.

Ommy Irizarry died at the scene. Daughter Oceana Irizarry was airlifted to a St. Petersburg hospital, where she later died.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

7/29/2014 1:01:41 PM (GMT -4:00)

Rudee

• Getbig V
Ban small aircraft!
Ban beaches!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
PILOT: "I NEVER EVEN SAW THEM"

VENICE, Fla.- The pilot responsible for killing a father and daughter when his plane crash landed onto Caspersen Beach on Sunday is speaking out for the first time since the tragedy.

Pilot Karl Kokomoor's family and friends chose to speak on his behalf at the United Methodist Church.

Before a podium filled with microphones, WINK News got a third-person account of what happened that day.

Kokomoor's written account of what happened just before the plane hit the beach was read by a pastor at the church.

The pilot wrote that he could not express how sorry he was for the crash that killed the soldier and his daughter.

Kokomoor's wife was visibly upset as she stood near the pastor reading her husband's words.

"With the plane quickly descending and little ability to make any major turn, I spotted an area on the shore on which I did not see anyone and landed the plane. The plane hit the water to rest with the nose down at the water's edge. It was only after I landed and we exited the plane did I realize that there were people on the beach. I never saw them and am deeply, deeply, sorry."

We still don't know where Karl Kokomoor is today. Charges have not been filed against him. Kokomoor's family says he is too devastated and broken-hearted to see anyone right now, after what happened this past weekend.

38-26-40

• Getbig IV
"They were contacted by a pilot whose small plane was in distress. He knew he couldn't make it back to the airport and was going to try to land on the beach. And he did land at the edge of the water on the beach," Rose said."

If they knew in advance what he was going to do, why wouldn't they notify police or someone to evacuate people in that area? Ugh!!!!! Wtf

manuelsonn

• Getbig IV
  • Team BAN CREATINE!
PILOT: "I NEVER EVEN SAW THEM"

VENICE, Fla.- The pilot responsible for killing a father and daughter when his plane crash landed onto Caspersen Beach on Sunday is speaking out for the first time since the tragedy.

Pilot Karl Kokomoor's family and friends chose to speak on his behalf at the United Methodist Church.

Before a podium filled with microphones, WINK News got a third-person account of what happened that day.

Kokomoor's written account of what happened just before the plane hit the beach was read by a pastor at the church.

The pilot wrote that he could not express how sorry he was for the crash that killed the soldier and his daughter.

Kokomoor's wife was visibly upset as she stood near the pastor reading her husband's words.

"With the plane quickly descending and little ability to make any major turn, I spotted an area on the shore on which I did not see anyone and landed the plane. The plane hit the water to rest with the nose down at the water's edge. It was only after I landed and we exited the plane did I realize that there were people on the beach. I never saw them and am deeply, deeply, sorry."

We still don't know where Karl Kokomoor is today. Charges have not been filed against him. Kokomoor's family says he is too devastated and broken-hearted to see anyone right now, after what happened this past weekend.
well, he didnt see people on a beach, that absolves him of any guilt...

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
A commercial pilot friend of mine has always maintained if given a choice, opt for water even though it will undoubtedly cause more damage to the aircraft .  As a former Coast Guard rescue pilot and aviation instructor for both small and large aircraft, his anecdotal evidence stems from performing more water rescues vs water recoveries whereas land crashes are more often recoveries vs rescues.  Ditching a large aircraft is not part of the pilot training syllabus, however, it is drilled into the heads of small aircraft, especially single engine plane operators. 
:

240 is Back

• Getbig V

smarcusky
Posted on Aug 14, 2014by Scott Marcusky
SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. -- New information has been released on a fatal plane crash that killed a U.S. Army soldier and his daughter on a Venice beach two weeks ago.
According to a report issued by the NTSB, pilot Karl Kokomoor told FAA investigators that his pre-flight checks showed a 300-rpm drop in one of the plane's power systems.
But subsequent checks by investigators revealed both power systems were running within normal limits.  No other mechanical issues have been found with the plane.
The pilot says after 10 or 15 minutes of flying, the engine started running rough and the plane lost power.
Kokomoor told investigators he was worried about the plane flipping over if he landed on the water, and tried to find a spot near the beach, where there were no people. He didn't realize he had hit a man and his daughter until he got out.
Other accounts in the report indicate that victims Ommy Irizarry and his daughter Oceana were not walking on the beach but were actually in the water with his son, who was coming out and ducked to avoid the plane. "The airplane came to a stop about 200 feet beyond the victims, who were in about 4 feet of water and very close to each other."
The report is preliminary, and the investigation is on-going.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
So...how do you not see a plane coming in at you?
I hate to say this but this was my first thought..........and why couldn't the pilot just "ditch" it in the water a few feet out/away from the people?  plane doesn't look damaged 2 badly.....it couldn't have been a free-fall drop