Author Topic: Islam and modern science  (Read 11629 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Islam and modern science
« on: July 27, 2014, 08:21:05 PM »
No comments needed.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Islam and modern science
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
I'd like to review the sources of the quotes......that's worth a definite view/read.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
haha

The debate of Islam vs science aside, what interests me more is your approach to the subject and the assumptions behind it.
follow the arrows

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:56:45 AM »
haha

The debate of Islam vs science aside, what interests me more is your approach to the subject and the assumptions behind it.

My approach is simple: unambigiously define your terms and rationally support your positions.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »
Don't ask me to spoon feed you with arguments.

You made certain assumptions when you made this thread. They are faulty.
follow the arrows

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
Don't ask me to spoon feed you with arguments.

I asked you nothing.

You made certain assumptions when you made this thread. They are faulty.

I posted a picture with quotes of prominent Muslim religious leaders showcasing a fundamentally flawed understanding of the world, caused by religious blinders. The only assumption I made is that the quotes in question are accurate.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
I asked you nothing.

I posted a picture with quotes of prominent Muslim religious leaders showcasing a fundamentally flawed understanding of the world, caused by religious blinders. The only assumption I made is that the quotes in question are accurate.
There is no reason to say that what so and so says is Islam, my friend. There is no universally agreed upon interpretation of Islam.

As an example, suppose if I quote a scientist who makes a ridiculous statement, shall i take that to represent the official view representing 'science'?

So when you call it 'Islam' vs modern science, you are inserting your own bias into it. It's what you think Islam is.

If you are looking for idiotic views among the religious, I am fully aware of this and get more annoyed about it than you do. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
follow the arrows

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 05:33:57 PM »
There is no reason to say that what so and so says is Islam, my friend. There is no universally agreed upon interpretation of Islam.

That's true. Man, you'd imagine a deity that wanted people to follow him would make himself understood plainly and unambigiously...

As an example, suppose if I quote a scientist who makes a ridiculous statement, shall i take that to represent the official view representing 'science'?

Seeing how such view would represent a term divorced from any meaningful context you could say it, but I'm not sure what meaning the statement could possibly convey.

So when you call it 'Islam' vs modern science, you are inserting your own bias into it. It's what you think Islam is.

I guess the title was a little abrasive, but can you blame me? After all, this isn't what I say or think about Islam. It's what these prominent Muslims, some of whom are respected scholars and religious leaders, say.

If you are looking for idiotic views among the religious, I am fully aware of this and get more annoyed about it than you do. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't think one should reject Islam on the basis of what any one person says. I think one should reject Islam on the basis that it's fundamentally irrational and based on no objective and observable facts. Christianity is no different. The moment you jump outside of the realm of logic and enter the realm of the supernatural, your ideas ought to be rejected.