Author Topic: How much is "a drink"?  (Read 3288 times)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
How much is "a drink"?
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:47:52 AM »
So I've been away a while.

And to be honest, I've neglected the trips back.

So I was pretty regular going back to the UK till 2000 and then thought "fuck it" and didn't go back to the UK again till 2008.

Christmas morning I woke up on a mate's sofa and had to think about the trip home where undoubtedly my parents, wife, sister, son would all be waiting for me - probably to give me a bollocking for making them all wait for breakfast. The guy next door to my mates is a taxi driver and my mate gave him a buzz. He wasn't working - but considering it was just a 5 mile trip - no problem.

So anyway, we get to my house and I asked how much and he said "no, it's fine -have a good Christmas". I insisted and then he said "Ok - just get us a drink".

Now - for a second, I did actually consider going into the house and bringing him out a drink but even in my hung over state I figured he didn't mean that. I bunged him 20 quid and hoped that would cover it.

Then later in the trip, another friend was talking and he said "I'd give him a drink for that and a good drink too".

So "a drink" apparently is a unit of currency in the UK now and I still have no fucking idea how much "a drink" is or how much a "good drink" is or what other measurements drink comes in. Does it vary by county?

Can someone enlighten me? There's a drink in it for you.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
Re: How much is "a drink"?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:25:29 AM »
A scores about right, if someone says they re gonna give a drink it usually means twenty notes.

Unless you re killing someone, then for doing that id expect at least 10K.

Simple Simon

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:43:34 AM »
I never say "get me a drink" because that would mean me having to go to a pub with them.
Fuck that, I just do favours for nothing , its way easier.

Some daft twat crashed a jet ski on holiday when we were away once, the dumb shit paid for it, I would have just fucked the guy off.
Anyway, at the airport coming home everyone was eating and he wasnt, he had no money left, I gave him £20 , he asked for my phone number so he could return the money, I said "forget it".
Guy must have thought it was a nice gesture on my part, it wasnt, I just didnt want the idiot ringing me up when I got home.

wolfrittner

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 10:29:54 PM »
I never say "get me a drink" because that would mean me having to go to a pub with them.
Fuck that, I just do favours for nothing , its way easier.

Some daft twat crashed a jet ski on holiday when we were away once, the dumb shit paid for it, I would have just fucked the guy off.
Anyway, at the airport coming home everyone was eating and he wasnt, he had no money left, I gave him £20 , he asked for my phone number so he could return the money, I said "forget it".
Guy must have thought it was a nice gesture on my part, it wasnt, I just didnt want the idiot ringing me up when I got home.
Hahahahaha! But you are still a nice guy for doing that. When you are in a situation without cash and you don't want ask anyone because you are to proud, it really can suck. It happened to me. But when a person you really don't know just gives you 20$ it will help tremendously ! Ive been on both ends so I know the feeling. The guy will never forget that. Maybe next time he will help someone else.

BIG AL MCKECHNIE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 07:39:01 AM »
To be honest a drink could be anything from a pony to a monkey depending on the circumstances, anything above a Lady Godiva.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »
depends on the favor how much a 'drink' is.
I never ask for owt when doing a favour, the decent ones always try and give you something, the shitbags who offer nowt I jyst avoid doing anything for them again, not that I wanted paying just that I dont like people who just expect, especially if the favour costs you in petrol money or what not.

Simple Simon

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »
depends on the favor how much a 'drink' is.
I never ask for owt when doing a favour, the decent ones always try and give you something, the shitbags who offer nowt I jyst avoid doing anything for them again, not that I wanted paying just that I dont like people who just expect, especially if the favour costs you in petrol money or what not.
Good fer thee, thas a reet good un me owd mucker.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »
To be honest a drink could be anything from a pony to a monkey depending on the circumstances, anything above a Lady Godiva.

OK - so a definitive answer!

I'm thinking this is a regional thing too.

Based on Simple Simons answer - he took it more literally. So Simon, am I right in presuming that in your neck of the woods, then don't refer to money as "a drink"?

Simple Simon

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »
OK - so a definitive answer!

I'm thinking this is a regional thing too.

Based on Simple Simons answer - he took it more literally. So Simon, am I right in presuming that in your neck of the woods, then don't refer to money as "a drink"?
If someone here says 'get me a drink' it means just that, a drink or most likely nothing.
Just a favour done in return.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:15:06 PM »
Good fer thee, thas a reet good un me owd mucker.

A little local dialogue is acceptable on the uk forum marra

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 02:51:58 AM »
A scores about right, if someone says they re gonna give a drink it usually means twenty notes.

Unless you re killing someone, then for doing that id expect at least 10K.

Hahaha

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:57:10 AM »
Yesterday I was out with the Mrs and we passed a hairdressers that we hadn't notice before. We were waiting 45 mins for a turbo pipe to be replaced on the motor, so we popped in for my son to get a quick trim (he's four). There was only 1 girl in the shop and we were the only customers.

Once she'd cut his hair, we paid her a fiver and then she takes a pot of lollies and goes to my son, did you want a lolly sweetheart? Naturally he takes one and says thanks. My daughter Rose looks up (18 months old) and puts her hand up and the girl says "Look at her, she wants one too" and then just puts the pot on the side.

So I pick my daughter up, walk out the shop and go and buy her a lolly over the road.

The most wierd situation ever. Seriously who would do that?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:49 AM »
Yesterday I was out with the Mrs and we passed a hairdressers that we hadn't notice before. We were waiting 45 mins for a turbo pipe to be replaced on the motor, so we popped in for my son to get a quick trim (he's four). There was only 1 girl in the shop and we were the only customers.

Once she'd cut his hair, we paid her a fiver and then she takes a pot of lollies and goes to my son, did you want a lolly sweetheart? Naturally he takes one and says thanks. My daughter Rose looks up (18 months old) and puts her hand up and the girl says "Look at her, she wants one too" and then just puts the pot on the side.

So I pick my daughter up, walk out the shop and go and buy her a lolly over the road.

The most wierd situation ever. Seriously who would do that?

PMSL - those lollies are for customers ONLY. UK Jobsworthiness at it's finest...

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 03:06:48 AM »
PMSL - those lollies are for customers ONLY. UK Jobsworthiness at it's finest...

I know right?

Fucking hell it was weird though.

I felt so bad for my daughter, I actually bought her more lollies last night, it's haunting me

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 03:10:07 AM »
I know right?

Fucking hell it was weird though.

I felt so bad for my daughter, I actually bought her more lollies last night, it's haunting me

Thing is - if you weren't so conditioned with the stiff upper lip, you'd have asked the gal for a lolly...

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 03:12:23 AM »
Thing is - if you weren't so conditioned with the stiff upper lip, you'd have asked the gal for a lolly...

;D Exactly

Something inside me was screaming "No this is not done!!!" "These lollies are at the discretion of the proprietor at all times!!!!!!"  ;D