Author Topic: Would you stay in the uk if you won the lottery  (Read 5349 times)

bigmc

• Getbig V
Would you stay in the uk if you won the lottery
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:33:59 AM »
if you won euromillions

on a big rollover

so you could live as you please for the rest of your life

would you stay in the uk and if so

would you stay where you are now or move?
T

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
Re: Would you stay in the uk if you won the lottery
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:39:02 AM »
I'd probably still reside in the UK as I'm used to it here. I'd move to a better area of the UK though and frequently go on holiday so I'll be spending much of the year abroad.

Simple Simon

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:41:01 AM »
I dont mind the change of seasons here, i would spend a lot of time on holidays though but i like the countryside here.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »
I would split my time between the UK and abroad, likely a nicer more affluent spot in the Mediterranean as I love the atmosphere and the culture...etc nice boat nice villa in the sun sort of set up and a country house in the UK.

S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
id have a big pad in the country somewhere but within an hour of somewhere decent like notts or leeds

id have a holiday home somewhere on the med i reckon
T

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 10:00:08 AM »
Great question.

I am with Skorpio.  Not literally so Bigmc don't get jealous.

But I've already left the UK and I don't think we'd choose to ever move back.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »
Great question.

I am with Skorpio.  Not literally so Bigmc don't get jealous.

But I've already left the UK and I don't think we'd choose to ever move back.

Only thing keeping me here is my career, the line of work I'm in is very UK law and reg specific hence not transferable to other places. Plus in investment banking London is the place to be.

However, I'd still come to the UK if I had lots of money, this will allow me to be selective about where to go and when. But I'd say 70% of my time would be somewhere in the Mediterranean, not Marbella, as that's a re-branded Essex, but some where in the south of France or even better Italy, near the sea.
S

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »
yes, i'd fuck off down south though. build a house in the country grand designs stylee.

its an alright country with decent folk for thye most part. we do it down to much.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »
Ha id be out of here like a shot! This countrys fucked and its only gonna get worse! I don't blame those with the means and ways to leave.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 10:39:29 AM »
Yes but id move to darras hall and like simon says enjoy the changing seasons, I quite like winter anyways.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 02:25:15 PM »
I would keep a home here for visits in the spring & summer.
A lot of beautiful places in the uk
Would also have homes in canary islands, southern California,
for the long dark damp winter months.
Have always struggled with them. :'(

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 02:14:05 AM »
Im Irish -
I would keep a house here but also one in Cali and Spain
I wouldn't mind a nice house in the UK too.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 02:17:18 AM »
In the past 14 years, I've spent 3 weeks in the UK.

But if I won the lottery, I'd absolutely spend more time there.

I just don't right now 'cause who in their right mind goes on holiday TO the UK????

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 02:50:24 AM »
I have often pondered this subject.

If I won the lotto, the lotto here in California gets over 300mil regularly... I would likely move 80 miles south to San Diego for my full time residence. I would also have a loft in Los Angeles, and maybe a place somewhere in Europe. Never been so cant decide where. I would assume somewhere in France.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 02:58:38 AM »
UK is not that bad, I think if you have money and this allows you to be more selective on where to be and also gives you freedom to get out when the shitty weather kicks in....etc. I always miss it's little quirks, I did work abroad here and there for months at a time and found it refreshing getting back.

This weekend I took my girl to a country hotel in Sussex country side to have a break from central London, enjoyed every minute of it.Would I live there if I had the money? definetly, it's right near Gatwick airport, a nice 5 bed country house with plenty of land and that would be my UK dream home.

S

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 02:10:24 AM »
UK is all right but I doubt I'll ever live there again. Not that it's a shit place,  but it'll be a bit like going back on myself. I've lived through everything the place has to offer. I see no reason reliving the exact same thing again. Even in a different part. It's still 'Tesco, Waitrose, WH Smith,  Tories, Immigration,  EU, Cameron,  shit football or small crowded houses' It'll feel like a big waste of time and life. I'll happily and gladly visit the place again but this time view it through tourist eyes. It's not my reality anymore.

I'll be in NZ for the foreseeable but still have a few places I want to live in. In the end I have no doubt I'll end up retiring in Europe. I want to die at home.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 02:32:34 AM »
I would be tempted to stay somewhere along the Jurassic Coast, or even St Ives way.

Simple Simon

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 02:56:11 AM »
I would be tempted to stay somewhere along the Jurassic Coast, or even St Ives way.
Me too, to see all those dinosaurs everyday would be great.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 03:42:08 AM »

st ives it miles out, but the stretch from poole to falmouth will have been gorgeous in the last month of warm weather. i want to get a weekend place somewhere near weymouth at some point.

noc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
"To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life."

We've already won.

nufc0101

• Getbig II
  • Part timer
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »
Id buy getbig.com then close it down just to be a girl

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
i'd be happy to never go through the canary wharf rotunda again; the early morning plights of arriving and heading up that fucking escalator, and the 6pm exit down to that jubilee line again where i spend two hours of my day, every day.

i should bring some iron to pump for the commute. nothing to see here phaggots

thank god i am moving to canada water at teh end of the month.

and to answer your question, yes i would leave to the country side. like connecticut. murican girls have an exponentially higher whore potential than ukTang, and that comes down to exchange rate more than a bit .

not that i would really touch any native of england anyway. the irish, yes; polish, yes. you get my point.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 06:17:38 AM »
i'd be happy to never go through the canary wharf rotunda again; the early morning plights of arriving and heading up that fucking escalator, and the 6pm exit down to that jubilee line again where i spend two hours of my day, every day.

i should bring some iron to pump for the commute. nothing to see here phaggots

thank god i am moving to canada water at teh end of the month.

and to answer your question, yes i would leave to the country side. like connecticut. murican girls have an exponentially higher whore potential than ukTang, and that comes down to exchange rate more than a bit .

not that i would really touch any native of england anyway. the irish, yes; polish, yes. you get my point.

I used to have to be in the City for 7am every morning in my first properly paying job.  I hated it, especially because I had to train late at night so I'd be still wrecked the next day.  The days of tupperware, three pairs of reinforced trousers for my suit, and ephedrine.

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 12:06:08 PM »
I used to have to be in the City for 7am every morning in my first properly paying job.  I hated it, especially because I had to train late at night so I'd be still wrecked the next day.  The days of tupperware, three pairs of reinforced trousers for my suit, and ephedrine.

tell me about it. have we all had a borderline clen based panic attack on a 5pm-6pm jubilee line that's tokyo style packed, smells like shit, and is just filled with the oddest mix of suits and chodes (once you get up to green park and catch the later)? y'eah, i've fled many a trains. especially the northern. that shit packs with the most random bag of smashed assholes the uk has ever produced at rush hour.

and i am an american who fell into london @ canary w due to a very specific UK purview, per se (in the financial purview rather, but something that is uncommon in both american finance and law).

i have to be honest, i love the country side. i love "living the dream". but i am currently on vacation back in the states right now, and i kind of want to return. no offense whatsoever, i just find london to be a bit robotic.

the rest of the UK (whales excluded, didn't love that) is so gorgeous . would love to eventually have a country place up north when my investment portfolio matures drastically (: