Author Topic: Are you frugal or wasteful  (Read 8588 times)

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Are you frugal or wasteful
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:40:47 AM »
It's a dilemma I keep battling within myself. I can never be one of those guys who has a couple of million of assets yet drive a 7 year old Vauxhall Zafira and buy clothes from Primark and work suits and shoes from George in Asda. (This example is based on one person I know very well)

I think I have an ok balance right now, but sometimes I wonder if one holiday instead of 4 would be better for my investment portfolio, cut down on nights out in restaurants...etc and as I live in Zone 1 I don't really need a car yet a have a new Merc parked up that I drive twice a month if I'm lucky.

I tried cutting down, but then I found myself questioning the reason behind me working 60+ hours a week and felt like I was doing it for nothing. Other times I come back from a two week holiday and find that my savings account from the moment I bought the flights to the taxi ride home is down by £££k's or so and think was it that necessary.....

Anyone else battling similar deamons? or do I just have a tight little git with a voice within me trying to get out which everyone has now and then?
S

bigmc

• Getbig V
Re: Are you frugal or wasteful
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:17:50 AM »
ive never understood the mentality of saving for your old age

wtf are you going to do with your money when you 80 buy cardigans

enjoy your life - you could die tomorrow

T

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:21:12 AM »
I dont save for old age, I am frugal with money though and do not keep up with trends in fashion and technology.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 02:25:11 AM »
It's a tough balance.

Their is a part of our brain, which is in the reward area and when we have saved up for something it triggers a response that you wouldn't get if you got it on credit etc. If you're pulling in big bucks then this would mean saving for something bigger I suppose, but as bigmc said, save to buy something/do something don't just save for the sake lol.

My grandad died at age 78 with millions of pounds in assets and savings. He wore polo shirts with holes in and drove a H reg land rover lol case in point. Now his children are renting out a couple of properties each, and spunking the income on thing that he should have! Tight greek bastard  ;D

Uncle Junior

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:37:17 AM »
Historically speaking I would be considered most definitely wasteful by most people, however what they consider wasteful may not be so to me.

However I can totally appreciate and respect other peoples point of view. I try to put myself in their shoes looking in on me. So much of this comes down to individuals circumstances, for example are they married? Do they have kids or other responsibilities and most importantly what is important to them in life, their value systems and fundamentally their personality.

In my experience you really don't need to have much money to live a happy, healthy and content life. So long as you have a roof over your head, can pay the bills, provide for your family that is all that is required, the rest is a bonus so long as you have a healthy and balanced mindset.

Of course many including myself don't have a balanced or healthy mindset because for a lack of a better term I grew up wrong. Hung out with the wrong crowd, got involved in things I shouldn't have got involved with, developed bad habits and addictions from an early age and if you do those things for long enough they form part of your character and personality and if the "crazy" life doesn't kill you  the depression caused by trying to go back to "normal" one (either by choice or circumstance) most definitely will because now you cant be "who you are" anymore.

You see the unhealthy mindset is fundamentally based on greed, false comparisons, envy and your desires and expectations in an unhealthy mindset are never ending. If it's not the next car, the next house, the next night out, the next whore, the next bet...whatever it is you ALWAYS have your eyes set on SOMETHING which means you can never be truly happy.

As you get older and more mature you realize and feel the above more and more so you try and have a more healthier mindset, one based on trying to be as successful as you can but also as balanced as you can.

For some this happens quicker than most, for others it takes a long time to realize, for some it never does.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 02:42:30 AM »
Historically speaking I would be considered most definitely wasteful by most people, however what they consider wasteful may not be so to me.

However I can totally appreciate and respect other peoples point of view. I try to put myself in their shoes looking in on me. So much of this comes down to individuals circumstances, for example are they married? Do they have kids or other responsibilities and most importantly what is important to them in life, their value systems and fundamentally their personality.

In my experience you really don't need to have much money to live a happy, healthy and content life. So long as you have a roof over your head, can pay the bills, provide for your family that is all that is required, the rest is a bonus so long as you have a healthy and balanced mindset.

Of course many including myself don't have a balanced or healthy mindset because for a lack of a better term I grew up wrong. Hung out with the wrong crowd, got involved in things I shouldn't have got involved with, developed bad habits and addictions from an early age and if you do those things for long enough they form part of your character and personality and if the "crazy" life doesn't kill you  the depression caused by trying to go back to "normal" one (either by choice or circumstance) most definitely will because now you cant be "who you are" anymore.

You see the unhealthy mindset is fundamentally based on greed, false comparisons, envy and your desires and expectations in an unhealthy mindset are never ending. If it's not the next car, the next house, the next night out, the next whore, the next bet...whatever it is you ALWAYS have your eyes set on SOMETHING which means you can never be truly happy.

As you get older and more mature you realize and feel the above more and more so you try and have a more healthier mindset, one based on trying to be as successful as you can but also as balanced as you can.

For some this happens quicker the most, for others it takes a long time to realize, some never do.

The best thing about living in a loft, is that the roof is literally over your head  ;D

Uncle Junior

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 02:48:38 AM »
The best thing about living in a loft, is that the roof is literally over your head  ;D

Indeed BigCyp, and mostly covered with pigeon pooh.  ;D

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 02:50:50 AM »
Indeed BigCyp, and mostly covered with pigeon pooh.  ;D

;D

Simple Simon

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 03:01:16 AM »
If I was a millionaire I still wouldn't pay more than £40 for a pair of jeans.
What does that make me?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 03:04:06 AM »
If I was a millionaire I still wouldn't pay more than £40 for a pair of jeans.
What does that make me?

someone who doesn't like jeans
T

Simple Simon

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 03:07:24 AM »
someone who doesn't like jeans
Fact remains that they are jeans (fucking work pants), I wear jeans all the time and have some pretty smart casuals, but when I hear people spending over a ton for a pair.
Really?

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 03:14:09 AM »
Fact remains that they are jeans (fucking work pants), I wear jeans all the time and have some pretty smart casuals, but when I hear people spending over a ton for a pair.
Really?

ive got a pair of levis that have lasted me 18 years
T

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:22 AM »
I buy those slim fit low rise ones from Hugo Boss that set me at 120 a pop more or less. The fit dead snug on my bum.
S

Simple Simon

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 03:20:18 AM »
I buy those slim fit low rise ones from Hugo Boss that set me at 120 a pop more or less. The fit dead snug on my bum.
I cant wear slim fit, I dont have big legs but I look like Max Wall in them.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 03:21:04 AM »

you are a ripped  twink though tailor made for designer clothes

us permabulking fat boys struggle to get stuff

I cant get slim fit jeans over my ankles  >:(
T

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 03:21:49 AM »
I buy jeans from TK Max for no more than £40, but it's great because their actual RRP used to £5m

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 04:09:55 AM »

For some this happens quicker than most, for others it takes a long time to realize, for some it never does.

Well said.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 04:16:09 AM »
I buy jeans from TK Max for no more than £40, but it's great because their actual RRP used to £5m

haha yes cyp

I actually got a 500 pound leather jacket for 40 quid

it was last season of course and that season was the industrial age

but great deals to be had none the less

sports direct is another one where you can buy enough gym kit for a year for about 50 pence
T

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »
haha yes cyp

sports direct is another one where you can buy enough gym kit for a year for about 50 pence

Haha yes mate, all about the nike airs with really awful shape/colours that are only ever sold in Sports Direct  ;D

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 04:26:08 AM »
haha yes cyp

My girl who likes running was trying to convince me to buy a pair of running shoes for my triathlon between 90 and 120 quid, she said as I have bad knees and I'm quite heavy for a runner with poor running form I need the best support I can get....spoke to a regular ultra marathon runner who told me all these fancy trainers are just marketing bro-science shit, never spend more than 40 quid on a pair. He recommended Air Pegasus which I got for 45 or something....best running pair I ever had.
S

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 04:35:45 AM »
I can never be one of those guys who has a couple of million of assets yet drive a 7 year old Vauxhall Zafira and buy clothes from Primark and work suits and shoes from George in Asda.

I'm not sure, if I could either man.

But the reason I'm not sure is because I have have no fucking idea what zafira, Primark or George in Asda is.  Epic foreign conversation of peace.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:32 AM »
I actually got a 500 pound leather jacket

I think chaos has one of these too.
Y

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 04:57:03 AM »
I'm not sure, if I could either man.

But the reason I'm not sure is because I have have no fucking idea what a station wagon, tj max or walmart is.  Epic foreign conversation of peace.

translated it for you
T

Uncle Junior

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 05:30:02 AM »
My girl who likes running was trying to convince me to buy a pair of running shoes for my triathlon between 90 and 120 quid, she said as I have bad knees and I'm quite heavy for a runner with poor running form I need the best support I can get....spoke to a regular ultra marathon runner who told me all these fancy trainers are just marketing bro-science shit, never spend more than 40 quid on a pair. He recommended Air Pegasus which I got for 45 or something....best running pair I ever had.

I wear the same pair of trainers I have worn for the last 9 years.

They've been through thick and thin with me and that's never gonna change.  8)

Simple Simon

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 05:41:50 AM »

I wear the same pair of trainers I have worn for the last 9 years.

They've been through thick and thin with me and that's never gonna change.  8)

Same underpants as well, why is that?
Surely you could afford something better than those 50p boxers.