Author Topic: Why do old people get fat?  (Read 7601 times)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Why do old people get fat?
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »
You sure about that?
It didn't happen to my dad until about 55. Then his test levels dropped, all his muscle started to disappear, and he naturally eats a LOT less. He was one of those 5'10" Scandinavian muscular genetic freaks who never lifted weights.. he had massive, vascular forearms, biceps, and shoulders with super wide clavicles (even at about 18% Bf, think a non-BB version of young cutler) from bucking bales as a kid that stayed with him his whole life... then, it all vanished over the course of 5 years. He also lost a bunch of height at the same time.

I was jealous and always wondered if he secretly lifted and juiced in his youth.. but his friends all said he built it from farm work after he graduated high school.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »
Actually, the preferred term amongst us seasoned citizens is "fluffy".

Simple Simon

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 02:10:22 PM »
It didn't happen to my dad until about 55. Then his test levels dropped, all his muscle started to disappear, and he naturally eats a LOT less. He was one of those 5'10" Scandinavian muscular genetic freaks who never lifted weights.. he had massive, vascular forearms, biceps, and shoulders with super wide clavicles (even at about 18% Bf, think a non-BB version of young cutler) from bucking bales as a kid that stayed with him his whole life... then, it all vanished over the course of 5 years. He also lost a bunch of height at the same time.

I was jealous and always wondered if he secretly lifted and juiced in his youth.. but his friends all said he built it from farm work after he graduated high school.
So he became sedentary after years of outside labour and ate less?
Whats that got to do with slowing metabolism?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »
So he became sedentary after years of outside labour and ate less?
Whats that got to do with slowing metabolism?
No where did I say his lifestyle changed; hes had the exact same lifestyle for the last 30 years. When he hit 55, his body started going downhill, testosterone went down and metabolism slowed down with it (couldnt eat as much, started gaining fat, losing muscle). He still keeps the exact same work and life schedule for 30 years. Now, he has to add in 30min of walking a day as per doctors orders to keep his weight in line even eating way less.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
It was discovered a long time ago, shortly after you turned 80, that low testosterone is as bad or worse for heart health then normal or high testosterone.

I guess you haven't seen all the law suits flying over hormone replacement therapy? Statistics have shown that guys with low T using RX testosterone are at a higher risk of heart attack and stroke. This is just from super low dose hormone replacement. I can only imagine the risk with some 50 something guy taking bodybuilding dose steroids.

One fact no one can dispute. Everyone gets old and deteriorates. If you are in your 20's, 30's and 40's you might not understand this fact.

Simple Simon

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »
No where did I say his lifestyle changed; hes had the exact same lifestyle for the last 30 years. When he hit 55, his body started going downhill, testosterone went down and metabolism slowed down with it (couldnt eat as much, started gaining fat, losing muscle). He still keeps the exact same work and life schedule for 30 years. Now, he has to add in 30min of walking a day as per doctors orders to keep his weight in line even eating way less.

Im not arguing at all, Im 49 now and have to watch what I eat or I put weight on easier than when I was 20-30, then again I was doing way more aerobically back then.
If I did what I was doing back then I would be able to eat more, so no, I don't think my metabolism had changed in the last 35 years.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
Im not arguing at all, Im 49 now and have to watch what I eat or I put weight on easier than when I was 20-30, then again I was doing way more aerobically back then.
If I did what I was doing back then I would be able to eat more, so no, I don't think my metabolism had changed in the last 35 years.
Ah. No, hes a perfect case study, same habits since I was born, same diet, same routine... 55 hit him and *wham* body startinf deteriorating. Luckily hes doesnt give a shit, its just interesting to see from an outside perspective.

Simple Simon

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »
Ah. No, hes a perfect case study, same habits since I was born, same diet, same routine... 55 hit him and *wham* body startinf deteriorating. Luckily hes doesnt give a shit, its just interesting to see from an outside perspective.

Thanks, looking forward to 55 with trepidation.   ;D

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 02:39:30 PM »
Thanks, looking forward to 55 with trepidation.   ;D
He also didnt juice or stay physically fit/lift. :)

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 02:41:03 PM »
Here's a basic breakdown for an average person on what they should do to stay lean. Do this and you don't have to do any cardio to stay lean.

age 20-30---eat 2500 cals a day
age 30-40---eat 2200 cals a day
age 40-50---eat 2000 cals a day
age 50-55---eat 1800 cals a day
age 55-60---eat 1500 cals a day
age 60-65---eat 1200 cals a day
age 65-75---eat 1000 cals a day
age 75-100--eat  800 cals a day

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 04:22:07 PM »
Problem easy solwed. U need cardio and edurance training as a lifestyle. Ten u never get fat like these piggs! They are lazy and just eat, eat is all they got like most of the prople. Lazyness kill them! And if u start eat candy sweet shit snacks...u will get addicted! Problem is simple. Eath healty and do cardio!

the trainer

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »
When you get old that is when you really need to workout  and watch your diet, I am glad that I am addicted to the lifting lifestyle that means I will be in shape all my life.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »
I guess you haven't seen all the law suits flying over hormone replacement therapy? Statistics have shown that guys with low T using RX testosterone are at a higher risk of heart attack and stroke. This is just from super low dose hormone replacement. I can only imagine the risk with some 50 something guy taking bodybuilding dose steroids.

One fact no one can dispute. Everyone gets old and deteriorates. If you are in your 20's, 30's and 40's you might not understand this fact.

My experience with HRT has been very positive. In my opinion, people should not go on HRT unless it is prescribed and monitored by their doctor. My urologist requires I do complete lab work twice a year. Although I have atrial flutter (irregular heart beat), which comes and goes, my heart is apparently in good condition. I just spent some time with my cardiologist, having an EKG and an ECHO done to make sure everything was good and it was.

I feel fortunate in that I currently weigh 192 lbs. which is what I weighed 26 years ago. At 18 I weighed 185 lbs. My weight is pretty stable. Although I've not been great a hauling myself off to the gym for a workout, I've maintained what muscle I have. My waist is 34" which is 2" bigger than it was at 18. I suspect this is partly due to genetics and partly due to the fact that I have always maintained a healthy diet with few bad habits.

So I don't believe it is a given that once one turns 50 years old, everything goes to pot. What little hair I have on my head did lose color and is predominately white these days. My skin being somewhat oily has not wrinkled much. I do have a few moles which are probably age spots and not moles at all. My teeth are in great shape, all thirty of them (two were removed when I was a kid and wore braces).  

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »
It's all the damn GMO refined wheat and other "fillers" in our so-called "foods". Plus, sugar on top of sugar and all this artificial crap to make non-food taste and look like food.

Look at pics of people up to the 70's; mostly slim to moderate chubbiness, seeing grossly overweight folks was rare. Now look at a crowd of people today. Fat, fat, and fat. Everyone is getting thicker because of all the bread and sugar we consume, compounded by sedation, apathy, and a daily handful of pills just to function and get through the goddamned day.
great post.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
Wes and I are old but we're both still ripped and buff. True story.
a

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 05:04:38 PM »
It's all the damn GMO refined wheat and other "fillers" in our so-called "foods". Plus, sugar on top of sugar and all this artificial crap to make non-food taste and look like food.

Look at pics of people up to the 70's; mostly slim to moderate chubbiness, seeing grossly overweight folks was rare. Now look at a crowd of people today. Fat, fat, and fat. Everyone is getting thicker because of all the bread and sugar we consume, compounded by sedation, apathy, and a daily handful of pills just to function and get through the goddamned day.

I was at the hospital today with my wife. There were a lot of 60 and 70 year old women there waiting for lab work and they were all very round. Not what you'd call morbidly obese, but definitely chubby with big round tummies. I think the processed crap many folks eat has had a very negative effect on most people.  

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »
great post.
Moron.

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2013/10/08/with-2000-global-studies-confirming-safety-gm-foods-among-most-analyzed-subject-in-science/

With 2000+ global studies affirming safety, GM foods among most analyzed subjects in science
JoAnna Wendel | October 8, 2013 | Genetic Literacy Project

A popular weapon used by those critical of agricultural biotechnology is to claim that there has been little to no evaluation of the safety of GM crops and there is no scientific consensus on this issue.

Those claims are simply not true. Every major international science body in the world has reviewed multiple independent studies—in some cases numbering in the hundreds—in coming to the consensus conclusion that GMO crops are as safe or safer than conventional or organic foods, but the magnitude of the research has never been evaluated or documented.

Still the claim that GMOs are ‘understudied’—the meme represented in the quotes highlighted at the beginning of this article—has become a staple of anti-GMO critics, especially activist journalists. In response to what they believed was an information gap, a team of Italian scientists cataloged and analyzed 1783 studies about the safety and environmental impacts of GMO foods—a staggering number.

The researchers couldn’t find a single credible example demonstrating that GM foods pose any harm to humans or animals. “The scientific research conducted so far has not detected any significant hazards directly connected with the use of genetically engineered crops,” the scientists concluded.

The research review, published in Critical Reviews in Biotechnology in September, spanned only the last decade—from 2002 to 2012—which represents only about a third of the lifetime of GM technology.

“Our goal was to create a single document where interested people of all levels of expertise can get an overview on what has been done by scientists regarding GE crop safety,” lead researcher Alessandro Nicolia, applied biologist at the University of Perugia, told Real Clear Science. “We tried to give a balanced view informing about what has been debated, the conclusions reached so far, and emerging issues.”

The conclusions are also striking because European governments, Italy in particular, have not been as embracing of genetically modified crops as has North and South America, although the consensus of European scientists has been generally positive.

The Italian review not only compiled independent research on GMOs over the last ten years but also summarizes findings in the different categories of GM research: general literature, environmental impact, safety of consumption and traceability.

The “general literature” category of studies largely reveals the differences between the US, EU and other countries when it comes to regulating GM crops. Due to lack of uniform regulatory practices and the rise of non-scientific rhetoric, Nicolia and his colleagues report, concern about GMOs has been greatly exaggerated.

Environmental impact studies are predominant in the body of GM research, making up 68% of the 1,783 studies. These studies investigated environmental impact on the crop-level, farm-level and landscape-level. Nicolia and his team found “little to no evidence” that GM crops have a negative environmental impact on their surroundings.

One of the fastest growing areas of research is in gene flow, the potential for genes from GM crops to be found—“contaminate” in the parlance of activists—in non-GM crops in neighboring fields. Nicolia and his colleagues report that this has been observed, and scientists have been studying ways to reduce this risk with different strategies such as isolation distances and post-harvest practices. The review notes that gene flow is not unique to GM technology and is commonly seen in wild plants and non-GM crops. While gene flow could certainly benefit from more research, Nicolia and his colleagues suggest, the public’s aversion to field trials discourages many scientists, especially in the EU.

In the food and feeding category, the team found no evidence that approved GMOs introduce any unique allergens or toxins into the food supply. All GM crops are tested against a database of all known allergens before commercialization and any crop found containing new allergens is not approved or marketed.

The researchers also address the safety of transcribed RNA from transgenic DNA. Are scientists fiddling with the ‘natural order’ of life? In fact, humans consume between 0.1 and 1 gram of DNA per day, from both GM and non-GM ingredients. This DNA is generally degraded by food processing, and any surviving DNA is then subsequently degraded in the digestive system. No evidence was found that DNA absorbed through the GI tract could be integrated into human cells—a popular anti-GMO criticism.

These 1783 studies are expected to be merged into the public database known as GENERA (Genetic Engineering Risk Atlas) being built by Biofortified, an independent non-profit website. Officially launched in 2012, GENERA includes peer-reviewed journal articles from different aspects of GM research, including basic genetics, feeding studies, environmental impact and nutritional impact. GENERA has more than 650 studies listed so far, many of which also show up in the new database. When merged, there should be well over 2000 GMO related studies, a sizable percentage—as many as 1000—that have been independently executed by independent scientists.

In short, genetically modified foods are among the most extensively studied scientific subjects in history. This year celebrates the 30th anniversary of GM technology, and the paper’s conclusion is unequivocal: there is no credible evidence that GMOs pose any unique threat to the environment or the public’s health. The reason for the public’s distrust of GMOs lies in psychology, politics and false debates.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »
I was at the hospital today with my wife. There were a lot of 60 and 70 year old women there waiting for lab work and they were all very round. Not what you'd call morbidly obese, but definitely chubby with big round tummies. I think the processed crap many folks eat has had a very negative effect on most people.  
It has no effect genius.  No different than excess calories from any other place.

You and the other morons always want an excuse or a scapegoat.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
It has no effect genius.  No different than excess calories from any other place.

You seem to like to argue. If you can prove you have a degree in nutrition, I might pay attention to what you think.

Nutritionist and dieticians disagree with you. Processed foods are not as healthy to eat and non-processed foods, plain and simple. Do they cause people to get fat? Of course they do. But the main reason people are overweight is because they overindulge and lead sedentary lives.

I am not overweight, I don't need an excuse or a scapegoat.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »

Yes people seem to always want to blame something other than their own behavior on their fitness level.

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2014, 05:33:25 PM »
Here's a basic breakdown for an average person on what they should do to stay lean. Do this and you don't have to do any cardio to stay lean.

age 20-30---eat 2500 cals a day
age 30-40---eat 2200 cals a day
age 40-50---eat 2000 cals a day
age 50-55---eat 1800 cals a day
age 55-60---eat 1500 cals a day
age 60-65---eat 1200 cals a day
age 65-75---eat 1000 cals a day
age 75-100--eat  800 cals a day

So you're saying I should just go fuck myself when I turn 60 then.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »

Sheesh!  And people think I'm an asshole lately?  Look little boy, back off Prime and if you really think you're up to it, insult me for awhile. I'm old enough to be your father but thankfully your mom was never so desperate for attention.  ;D

See?  That's how its done. In fun.  With a sense of humor. 

In closing I'll add that is some ways you are definitely correct.  To me (and I admit I could be wrong) a calorie is a calorie but only if it is not properly put to good use and is in excess of that which is required by the body.   Prime trains, loves his wife and the life they have made together.  He gave you no good reason to insult him so.

As to his suppostions?  My older brother is a total vegetarian that grows his own food and does not eat any processed foods.  He too is a bit of a physical culturist and is nowhere near a porkie.  He asserts that crap in makes for not only crap out but crap accumulating within his body.  Who am I to argue with his success?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2014, 05:36:27 PM »
You seem to like to argue. If you can prove you have a degree in nutrition, I might pay attention to what you think.

Nutritionist and dieticians disagree with you. Processed foods are not as healthy to eat and non-processed foods, plain and simple. Do they cause people to get fat? Of course they do. But the main reason people are overweight is because they overindulge and lead sedentary lives.

What do I have to do with the entire Scientific Consensus moron?

So if I had a degree in nutrition you would then believe the entire Scientific Consensus on this issue?   ???

I am failing to see the logic behind your willful ignorance and perpetual stupidity.  Please explain.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2014, 05:38:40 PM »

Bullshit.  No they don`t.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »
What do I have to do with the entire Scientific Consensus moron?

So if I had a degree in nutrition you would then believe the entire Scientific Consensus on this issue?   ???

I am failing to see the logic behind your willful ignorance and perpetual stupidity.  Please explain.

"Entire scientific consensus"......LOL!

No need for me to explain. You are entitled to your own uninformed opinion. I'll give you that, because I really could care less what you think.