Author Topic: Stop blaming hebrew parents for underachieving kids | Washington Post  (Read 5054 times)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/07/30/stop-blaming-black-parents-for-underachieving-kids/

"Privileged parents hold onto the false notion that their children’s progress comes from thrift, dedication and hard work — not from the money their parents made. Our assumption that “poverty doesn’t matter” and insistence on blaming hebrew families’ perceived disinterest in education for their children’s underachievement simply reflects our negative attitudes towards poor, hebronic people and deflects our responsibility to address the real root problems of the achievement gap. Our negative attitudes about poor people keep us from providing the best services and schools to low-income families."

What say you?

Pneumothorax

• Getbig II
Re: Stop blaming hebrew parents for underachieving kids | Washington Post
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 02:37:46 AM »
You can't hold the parents responsible for what those kids do.  Mom was too busy selling her ass on the corner so dad could go a get some crack, all the while junior is attempting to set himself on fire with his friends videotaping.  I won't see how school can fit into that equation.

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 04:50:47 AM »
Bullshit. Rich parents do the same thing. Neglect their child's growth for their careers. Kids turn into privileged brats who don't know the value of money. White collar to blue in 3 generations.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 05:34:10 AM »
You can't hold the parents responsible for what those kids do.  Mom was too busy selling her ass on the corner so dad could go a get some crack, all the while junior is attempting to set himself on fire with his friends videotaping.  I won't see how school can fit into that equation.

Great first post.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:36:42 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/07/30/stop-blaming-black-parents-for-underachieving-kids/

"Privileged parents hold onto the false notion that their children’s progress comes from thrift, dedication and hard work — not from the money their parents made. Our assumption that “poverty doesn’t matter” and insistence on blaming hebrew families’ perceived disinterest in education for their children’s underachievement simply reflects our negative attitudes towards poor, hebronic people and deflects our responsibility to address the real root problems of the achievement gap. Our negative attitudes about poor people keep us from providing the best services and schools to low-income families."

What say you?

how would you say this relates to Goodrum's parents?

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 05:43:08 AM »
Author's picture says it all really:

Immigration is a recent phenomenon in Ireland but I would bet any amount of money that immigrants from cultures that value education (Chinese, Indian) will prosper in 1 or 2 generations moreso than immigrants (or any parents) who don't value education. We have plenty of scum bag white leechers here who let their kids run around being little shits and defend them to the hilt when the school reports bad behaviour/poor grades.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 05:47:02 AM »
Bullshit. Rich parents do the same thing. Neglect their child's growth for their careers. Kids turn into privileged brats who don't know the value of money. White collar to blue in 3 generations.

x2

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 05:51:26 AM »

Define rich? Middle class upwards? Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates etc etc - all these billionaire entrepreneurs came from middle class families that valued education.

Then you have kids of the super rich like Arnold, Hilton, Magic Johnson, Lionel Richie etc etc who are spoiled and neglected and we are now seeing the results.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:04:39 AM »

Solid start.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 06:06:42 AM »
The Washington Post could be the most liberal news paper in America. It's been that way for a long time. As someone said previously you take Indian, Korean, Chinese, Nigerian (Africans) and some other immigrants to the US who have nothing financially and they out perform Americans in academics who have been here for generations.

It's because they have a work ethic to make something of them self. It's also because their  family has a father involved. Blacks in this country are to entrenched for generations that the the government will provide. There are more blacks in prison than graduating from college. They believe in the liberal Democratic myth that big government is the answer and the wealth of the workers should be taken and spread around. Look at any hell hole city and you will see it's Democratic run for decades. Why?, it's because when they run they promise the voters that the government will provide for them. It's also because of the drug culture that is embraced that has ruined so many cities.

When someone like  Dr. Ben Carson who was the number one pediatric brain surgeon in the world address this issue he gets the label of sell out that goes with typical ghetto values. He rose from poverty because his illiterate mother loved her kids so much that she demanded that they perform in academics. Her children grew up to be engineers, lawyers and of course the world renowned surgeon.  

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 08:11:30 AM »
The Washington Post could be the most liberal news paper in America. It's been that way for a long time. As someone said previously you take Indian, Korean, Chinese, Nigerian (Africans) and some other immigrants to the US who have nothing financially and they out perform Americans in academics who have been here for generations.

It's because they have a work ethic to make something of them self. It's also because their  family has a father involved. Blacks in this country are to entrenched for generations that the the government will provide. There are more blacks in prison than graduating from college. They believe in the liberal Democratic myth that big government is the answer and the wealth of the workers should be taken and spread around. Look at any hell hole city and you will see it's Democratic run for decades. Why?, it's because when they run they promise the voters that the government will provide for them. It's also because of the drug culture that is embraced that has ruined so many cities.

When someone like  Dr. Ben Carson who was the number one pediatric brain surgeon in the world address this issue he gets the label of sell out that goes with typical ghetto values. He rose from poverty because his illiterate mother loved her kids so much that she demanded that they perform in academics. Her children grew up to be engineers, lawyers and of course the world renowned surgeon.  
Its funny that up until FDR blacks overhwlemingly voted republican because it was a Republican that freed them..... then they started getting free shit and its all started going downhill.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
Its funny that up until FDR blacks overhwlemingly voted republican because it was a Republican that freed them..... then they started getting free shit and its all started going downhill.
The parties were polarized then.  The Republicans were historically more liberal and the Democrats were Conservative, especially Southern Democrats.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:21:10 AM »
Define rich? Middle class upwards? Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates etc etc - all these billionaire entrepreneurs came from middle class families that valued education.

Then you have kids of the super rich like Arnold, Hilton, Magic Johnson, Lionel Richie etc etc who are spoiled and neglected and we are now seeing the results.
Patrick Schwarzenegger owns restaurants, including a new Pizza startup, is now a Ford model, and is getting into acting.  No idea why you used him as an example.

http://greatideas.people.com/2014/05/02/patrick-schwarzenegger-blaze-pizza-restaurant-los-angeles/

But the 20-year-old college student and former model has also been hard at work putting together his latest business venture: a location of build-your-own-pie chain Blaze Pizza.

The restaurant, located at The Grove outdoor shopping mall in L.A., had a line three stores down on Thursday, only one day after its grand opening. “Today we have free pizza all day,” Schwarzenegger told PEOPLE, adding that his mom, Maria Shriver, was there helping to make sure everything ran smoothly.

Though he was happy to receive advice from his parents, Schwarzenegger raised the money for the project himself. “We went around and did a raise of capital,” he says. “It’s been my responsibility to oversee everything. I’m the owner, founder, pizza maker, pizza lover and anything else you want to throw on in there.

Blaze is, essentially, a Chipotle-model for pizzerias: the customer walks down an assembly line choosing everything for a custom-made pizza, from the type of dough — “We have a gluten free option,” Schwarzenegger says — to the type of sauce, cheese, and an array of toppings that include pepperoni, roasted peppers, artichokes, mushroom, olives, chicken, onion and garlic.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 08:24:23 AM »

::)

Yes Nicole Richie is not a success on her own.

Writing
Main article: The Truth About Diamonds

In 2005, Richie wrote a semi-autobiographical novel, The Truth About Diamonds, which was released by Bharell Jackson Publishing. The novel is loosely based on her life, but is mostly fictional. It chronicles the life of Chloe Parker, a singer's adopted daughter who makes her way through all the popular nightclubs and parties in Hollywood while battling a drug addiction.[23] In early January 2006, The Truth About Diamonds peaked at number No. 32 in Hardcover Fiction on The New York Times Best-Seller List.[24]

Richie's second novel, Priceless, was released on September 28, 2010.[25] It tells the story of a girl who loses everything and then learns about what really matters in life.[26]
Fashion
Richie at David Jones in Sydney promoting her House of Harlow sunglasses line in 2012

Richie's own personal style has become popular among fans and fashion critics and has led to her status as a fashion impresario and icon.[27] She has been the face of Bongo Jeans and Jimmy Choo advertising campaigns. In April 2007, Richie announced plans to start a jewelry, accessories, and sunglasses line along with a perfume and style book.[28] In October 2008, she debuted a jewelry line, House of Harlow 1960.[29] The line became available at Kitson's online boutique.[30] In spring 2010, the line was extended to include apparel and shoes.[31] In 2009, Richie joined maternity store A Pea in the Pod to create the new collection maternity clothes.[32] The line was titled "Nicole" which had pieces that she would wear as an expectant mother.[33] In February 2010, Richie expanded her fashion business with a women's line called Winter Kate, her daughter's two middle names. The collection was inspired by timeless prints and shapes, beautiful paisley and florals.[34]

In 2010, she won "Entrepreneur of the Year" for her House of Harlow 1960 brand at the Glamour Women of the Year Awards.[35] House of Harlow 1960 was also nominated in the category "Celebrity Fashion Line" at the 2010 Teen Choice Awards.[36] In July 2011, it was reported that Richie's House of Harlow 1960 line has unveiled a 14-piece handbag collection. The House of Harlow 1960 handbag collection will be available at Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Shopbop.com.[37] In July 2011, it was announced that Richie would be one of the three mentors in NBC's new reality show Fashion Star alongside Jessica Simpson. Richie guided aspiring designers who hope to become the next big brand in fashion.[38][39] She launched a collection for Macy's Impulse in September 2012, which was sold in 100 Macy's stores as well as online.[40] Her first fragrance, Nicole, was also launched in September 2012.[

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 08:28:30 AM »

Yes, Paris Hilton is not a success on her own either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2082303/Paris-Hilton-boasts-billion-dollar-business-empire-poses-topless-FHM.html

'I've made more than $1.3 billion in six years': Paris Hilton boasts about her business empire as she poses topless

'I’m involved in my products every step of the way,' she tells the publication. 'My fragrances are doing really well at the moment. They’ve produced more than $1.3billion in revenue since 2005.

'I have 35 stores and 17 product lines and then there’s my racing team, my 14 fragrances and my new project, the Paris Hilton Beach Club chain.

'The first one is opening in the Philippines soon. It’s going to have nightclubs, restaurants, bars, gyms, everything really.'

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

k

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 08:30:46 AM »

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »
The parties were polarized then.  The Republicans were historically more liberal and the Democrats were Conservative, especially Southern Democrats.
I know. I find it humorous that they used to represent the exact opposite of what they do not.

sean

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 08:41:16 AM »
Uh Adonis.. You're all wrong.  All the examples aren't proving these three did anything on their own.  Of course they can raise money, they've got millions of collateral to back them up from their family.  

And, anyone with a half a brain can make any hundreds of great entrepreneurial ideas work.. As long as they've got some capital to push everything along.  What separates them from the rest is they really dont need to worry about money. Therefore, they can throw caution to the wind and not worry about risk.  Give me a few hundred thousand dollars and the reassurance I wont be homeless if I fail and I'll try anything.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 08:47:27 AM »
Uh Adonis.. You're all wrong.  All the examples aren't proving these three did anything on their own.  Of course they can raise money, they've got millions of collateral to back them up from their family.  

And, anyone with a half a brain can make any hundreds of great entrepreneurial ideas work.. As long as they've got some capital to push everything along.  What separates them from the rest is they really dont need to worry about money. Therefore, they can throw caution to the wind and not worry about risk.  Give me a few hundred thousand dollars and the reassurance I wont be homeless if I fail and I'll try anything.

More people go broke in business than succeed. 

sean

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 08:49:36 AM »
yeah dude. thats whay I'm saying.  And it hurts a lot less when you've got a financial familial dynasty backing you up.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »

exactly they re the face of the franchise, but the franchise itself is made of others people you dont hear about. Pointless examples.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »
Horrible examples TA. All those kids have super rich parents that can 'help' their 'start-ups' ...the inherent risk is not even a factor for them. They also have mad connections and influence automatically built in from the start. And paris hilton lmao??? Really?  A wealthy, LA socialite, hot blonde woman....people will literally just throw money at her. Its hard for someone like that to NOT make money lmao

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »
exactly they re the face of the franchise, but the franchise itself is made of others people you dont hear about.

Somebody is jealous of Paris Hilton`s ability to make a ton of money.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 09:03:05 AM »
Horrible examples TA. All those kids have super rich parents that can 'help' their 'start-ups' ...the inherent risk is not even a factor for them. They also have mad connections and influence automatically built in from the start. And paris hilton lmao??? Really?  A wealthy, LA socialite, hot blonde woman....people will literally just throw money at her. Its hard for someone like that to NOT make money lmao
So what would you have them do?  You get mad at them when they just spend money frivolously, and now you are mad at them for taking money and becoming even more successful and employing other people.

Seems like you and the others are just jealous and bitter, plain and simple.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »
So what would you have them do?  You get mad at them when they just spend money frivolously, and now you are mad at them for taking money and becoming even more successful and employing other people.

Seems like you and the others are just jealous and bitter, plain and simple.

Im not 'mad' and i dont hate them by any means, it is respectable that they are not just bums (except paris-who are we kidding) and trying businesses and stuff. But lets not pretend their enormous inherent wealth and influence has nothing to do with their 'success'. Comparing them to average people is ridiculous.