Author Topic: Something I've observed in the gym  (Read 5011 times)

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Something I've observed in the gym
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »
so fucking true
took me over 2 years to figure out how to properly isolate lats
i think i learned it from standing cable pushdowns with arms extended

i remember when i did dumbbell rows with 90lbs DBs for 20or so reps after like 1 year of working out lol. didnt do shit of course cuz it was all pulling/biceps work

now i use the 30lbs dumbbells for even less reps and just "flex" lats with the weight.
my back is easily twice as wide now

I agree also, training back PROPERLY aint easy, I was lucky cause I had mrs Olympia Carla Dunlop show me how train back in 82
R

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 01:40:01 PM »
I just never understand how a guy can train arms one of the smallest muscle groups in the body all free weight cheating and swinging . But for back no free weights no chins or rows, just all machines and back is the second largest muscle group??!

choice is an illusion

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
This is how most guys work out

Arms - free weight 2 times a week
Chest - free weight  3 times

Shoulders mostly machines

Legs - machines , or quarter squats
Back - machines all the way no chins no dead lifts or barbell rows

Awful thread

Kill yourself now troglodyte style;
Tie yourself to a giant wood dildo then set it
On fire

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 01:56:11 PM »
here is how most girls workout

15 sets of horrid lat pull downs

4 sets of inner and outer thigh machine

do that every workout  

You mean the older bitch who asks to do one set of lats while you're there and she proceeds to do 1000 reps of the top weight.

the trainer

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »
Awful thread

Kill yourself now troglodyte style;
Tie yourself to a giant wood dildo then set it
On fire

Lazy twink lifter checking facebook between light machine sets exposed

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
Lazy twink lifter checking facebook between light machine sets exposed

;D

choice is an illusion

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 02:18:14 PM »
^2 great posts, truly well done.

Great
Posts in a great
Thread

Promptly bite one another's cocks off then after you chew join mouths and spew
Your garbage into
Each other's glory hole  receptacles
And
Spare
Me

You're
Both like forest dump
Cooking and the fire alarm
Goes off due to steam
So you put your shoes on and walk
Outside and wait for the principal
To make
An announcement
But
All you get is pissed on
Retards

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
I just never understand how a guy can train arms one of the smallest muscle groups in the body all free weight cheating and swinging . But for back no free weights no chins or rows, just all machines and back is the second largest muscle group??!

Is it really that difficult to understand? Most guys are interested in looking good in a t-shirt or at the beach, not winning a bodybuilding show or destroying themselves for a decent physique.

I train a lot like your first post, with the exception of a decent free weight/'machine mix for back and I wouldn't change it. I do barbell rows, dumbbell rows and chins and finish up with a fair amount of pulley work. I would not consider adding deadlifts to my routine because I felt they didn't really do much for me .  I feel like they gave mea marginally thicker appearance, but I am more interested in width and I prefer the progress I've made with lat pulldowns and chins. I stick to machines for legs because I don't have to worry about knee pain and I'm not trying to build 36-inch quads. My legs look good and I make good progress with the machines.

Everyone's goals are not the same and you can build a pretty good physique with machines.

Simple Simon

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 02:30:22 PM »
Is it really that difficult to understand? Most guys are interested in looking good in a t-shirt or at the beach, not winning a bodybuilding show or destroying themselves for a decent physique.

I train a lot like your first post, with the exception of a decent free weight/'machine mix for back and I wouldn't change it. I do barbell rows, dumbbell rows and chins and finish up with a fair amount of pulley work. I would not consider adding deadlifts to my routine because I felt they didn't really do much for me .  I feel like they gave mea marginally thicker appearance, but I am more interested in width and I prefer the progress I've made with lat pulldowns and chins. I stick to machines for legs because I don't have to worry about knee pain and I'm not trying to build 36-inch quads. My legs look good and I make good progress with the machines.

Everyone's goals are not the same and you can build a pretty good physique with machines.
Dont squat bench or deadlift EVER

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »

A fatal mistake of weekend warriors is not realising that while arms chest etc stand out a 3d physique has a pop to it that even people with no clue about bodybuilding find attractive. They won't say nice lats or good quad sweep. It is a balanced physique with arms and chest on show, it looks superior to a shoddy imbalanced physique. They don't know why but we do.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »

No one is saying be a bodybuilder at all or have 36 in h quads or whatever the goal should be to work out every body part .... I see so many guy decent arms well decent because the rest them isn't developed bread for female attention until a guy who is all round developed walks past and his woman is like damn !

A great body is a combination of all body parts being developed

Most guys will do a bunch of fuckery on back day simply because to train back properly requires effort and is t easy
choice is an illusion

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »
Walking lunges are de rigueur in my gym, far better way in my opinion, you keep going til you reach end point no matter how dead your legs are.

If you think men's bodybuilding mags are bad, women's ones like Oxygen feature only leg or abs articles (in every issue exact same workouts), women reading are even more ignorant about the usage of PEDs by the models and the advice column... "Jackie how do I get abs?" "blah blah blah and take my overpriced protein and snake oil capsules" is the template answer.

Yeeeees. So women just hate their bodies forever and never figure out why they're inadequate, while men hate their bodies for a little while, and then finally figure out why they're inadequate.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 02:49:07 PM »
A fatal mistake of weekend warriors is not realising that while arms chest etc stand out a 3d physique has a pop to it that even people with no clue about bodybuilding find attractive. They won't say nice lats or good quad sweep. It is a balanced physique with arms and chest on show, it looks superior to a shoddy imbalanced physique. They don't know why but we do.

Not really. There's not a noticeable difference between the physiques of the guys who deadlift at my gym and the guys who don't, in terms of general appeal and even mass. The best physiques aren't the strongest guys or the guys  who do the "hardest" exercises or even the guys who spend the most time there.  I'm actually considered one of the more muscular guys at my gym. Not a pro bodybuilder, but definitely not a weekend warrior. For a pro like Ronnie who does massive poundages on the deadlift, there's a big difference in his thickness compared to someone like Flex, but it's not necessarily even something people who have no clue about bodybuilding would find attractive. For guys pulling less superhuman poundages, there's not that big of a visual difference between two guys with roughly the same muscle mass.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
No one is saying be a bodybuilder at all or have 36 in h quads or whatever the goal should be to work out every body part .... I see so many guy decent arms well decent because the rest them isn't developed bread for female attention until a guy who is all round developed walks past and his woman is like damn !

A great body is a combination of all body parts being developed

Most guys will do a bunch of fuckery on back day simply because to train back properly requires effort and is t easy

Doing half-assed routine with free weights instead of machines isn't going to change that. If you don't do a bunch of fuckery on back day while using machines, you'll develop a decent back.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »
Not really. There's not a noticeable difference between the physiques of the guys who deadlift at my gym and the guys who don't, in terms of general appeal and even mass. The best physiques aren't the strongest guys or the guys  who do the "hardest" exercises or even the guys who spend the most time there.  I'm actually considered one of the more muscular guys at my gym. Not a pro bodybuilder, but definitely not a weekend warrior. For a pro like Ronnie who does massive poundages on the deadlift, there's a big difference in his thickness compared to someone like Flex, but it's not necessarily even something people who have no clue about bodybuilding would find attractive. For guys pulling less superhuman poundages, there's not that big of a visual difference between two guys with roughly the same muscle mass.

I was more referring to meso's post on guys overemphasis on arms and chest while sleepwalking through other bodyparts. I didn't deadlift for over a year til recently and haven't squatted in longer due to knee and lower back issues but focusing on show piece bodyparts leaves physique as  a whole lacking.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »
I was more referring to meso's post on guys overemphasis on arms and chest while sleepwalking through other bodyparts. I didn't deadlift for over a year til recently and haven't squatted in longer due to knee and lower back issues but focusing on show piece bodyparts leaves physique as  a whole lacking.

For me the main muscles are relatively easy to build up so even when injured its good for me to hit the gym and work on the smaller muscles.
A

Simple Simon

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
For me the main muscles are relatively easy to build up so even when injuried its good for me to hit he gym and work on the smaller muscles. 
Yes, Yes of course they are.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
Yes, Yes of course they are.

Not bad for only a couple months of training. Ive since made solid gains. Probably put on 10lbs of muscle and lost 10 of fat.
A

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »
?

Fair enough, but you quoted me  ;)

I think "focusing on showpiece muscles" is different from the machines vs. freeweights debate. Of course a complete, well-developed body is more impressive than some big guns and crappy everything else. Let me ask you, were you able to work out lower body at all? Did you forego lower body training altogether or did you try to substitute machine work or more moderate free weights?

Simple Simon

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
Not bad for only a couple months of training. Ive since made solid gains. Probably put on 10lbs of muscle and lost 10 of fat.

great, lets see the results.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
You gotta remember Simon im talking about natural gains. I cant put on 20lbs of muscle in 2 months like some steroid users.
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2014, 03:06:12 PM »
great, lets see the results.

It would never be good enough for getbig. If you don't believe ive improved on that physique built after only a couple months of training then oh well. 
A

Simple Simon

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 03:06:26 PM »
You gotta remember Simon im talking about natural gains. I cant put on 20lbs of muscle in 2 months like some steroid users.
a steroid user cant put 20lbs of muscle on in two months either.
Natural gains, you have been banging on about gear on here since you came, hell you have even been advising people what to take.

Post a pic or fuck off.

Simple Simon

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »
It would never be good enough for getbig.
Most other peoples are accepted if posted honestly.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »
a steroid user cant put 20lbs of muscle on in two months either.
Natural gains, you have been banging on about gear on here since you came, hell you have even been advising people what to take.

Post a pic or fuck off.

i study PEDs because i plan on taking them in the future.

I don't need to post a pic if i don't want to.
A