Author Topic: Judge to Conservatives who tried closing abortion clinics  (Read 2143 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Judge to Conservatives who tried closing abortion clinics
« on: August 07, 2014, 05:36:19 AM »
 :D :D :D

What if we did the same thing for gun stores?

Fortunately, Judge Thompson (like his colleague in Mississippi) saw through the gimmick and his 172-page opinion ruling against the law was blistering.

“The evidence compellingly demonstrates that the requirement would have the striking result of closing three of Alabama’s five abortion clinics, clinics which perform only early abortions, long before viability,” Thompson writes.

Taking it further, Thompson presents a thought experiment which may be my new favorite way of countering anti-abortion rhetoric from this day forward. It goes like this:

What if, instead of abortion, the issue were gun sales. Let’s say in an effort to bypass the Constitution and curb gun ownership, the state or federal government passed a law that effectively shut down every gun store in the state but two.

“The defenders of this law would be called upon to do a heck of a lot of explaining — and rightly so in the face of an effect so severe,” Thompson points out. “Similarly, in this case, so long as the Supreme Court continues to recognize a constitutional right to choose to terminate a pregnancy, any regulation that would, in effect, restrict the exercise of that right to only Huntsville and Tuscaloosa should be subject to the same skepticism.”

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/08/05/judge-to-conservatives-who-want-to-close-abortion-clinics-what-if-we-did-the-same-thing-for-gun-stores/

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Judge to Conservatives who tried closing abortion clinics
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 06:36:10 AM »
This judge would appear to be a moron with a pro abortion agenda....

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 06:47:16 AM »
Supreme Court continues to recognize a constitutional right to choose to terminate a pregnancy      so your only good with constitutional rights when you agree with them, wow who would have thought

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:47:03 AM »
I feel like i just read a special-ed child's first book report.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 09:00:49 AM »
I feel like i just read a special-ed child's first book report.

lol.  I'm stealing that.  ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »
:D :D :D

What if we did the same thing for gun stores?

Fortunately, Judge Thompson (like his colleague in Mississippi) saw through the gimmick and his 172-page opinion ruling against the law was blistering.

“The evidence compellingly demonstrates that the requirement would have the striking result of closing three of Alabama’s five abortion clinics, clinics which perform only early abortions, long before viability,” Thompson writes.

Taking it further, Thompson presents a thought experiment which may be my new favorite way of countering anti-abortion rhetoric from this day forward. It goes like this:

What if, instead of abortion, the issue were gun sales. Let’s say in an effort to bypass the Constitution and curb gun ownership, the state or federal government passed a law that effectively shut down every gun store in the state but two.

“The defenders of this law would be called upon to do a heck of a lot of explaining — and rightly so in the face of an effect so severe,” Thompson points out. “Similarly, in this case, so long as the Supreme Court continues to recognize a constitutional right to choose to terminate a pregnancy, any regulation that would, in effect, restrict the exercise of that right to only Huntsville and Tuscaloosa should be subject to the same skepticism.”

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/08/05/judge-to-conservatives-who-want-to-close-abortion-clinics-what-if-we-did-the-same-thing-for-gun-stores/

there are already a ton of places that dont allow gun stores...DOES CHICAGO MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 06:46:55 PM »
there are already a ton of places that dont allow gun stores...DOES CHICAGO MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?

Seriously? Your analogy wouldn't fit the Judge's hypothetical if you stretched it wider than goatse's sphincter.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 06:59:16 PM »
Seriously? Your analogy wouldn't fit the Judge's hypothetical if you stretched it wider than goatse's sphincter.
really? so if all but two municipalities in a state banned gun stores you would be ok with that?

"any regulation that would, in effect, restrict the exercise of that right to only Huntsville and Tuscaloosa should be subject to the same skepticism"

why is restricting gun rights to certain areas ok?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
the chicago law was overturned by the way only to be replaced by one equally as authoritarian and idiotic.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 11:56:16 PM »
really? so if all but two municipalities in a state banned gun stores you would be ok with that?

Of course I wouldn't. Neither would this Judge. In fact, this is exactly the point that he made in his opinion. Can your reading comprehension really be that bad that you missed the entire point?!

"any regulation that would, in effect, restrict the exercise of that right to only Huntsville and Tuscaloosa should be subject to the same skepticism"

why is restricting gun rights to certain areas ok?

Great question. Unfortunately you're asking the wrong person. You may want to consider asking someone who believes the premise that restricting gun rights to certain areas is OK.  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
Of course I wouldn't. Neither would this Judge. In fact, this is exactly the point that he made in his opinion. Can your reading comprehension really be that bad that you missed the entire point?!

Great question. Unfortunately you're asking the wrong person. You may want to consider asking someone who believes the premise that restricting gun rights to certain areas is OK.  

my point is to show blackass that liberals already do try and restrict the constitutional right of gun ownership. if you read his first post he asked the question "what if liberals did this with guns?"

in fact they already have simply on a smaller scale in the chicago example a municipality instead of a state. if the crux of the judges argument is "any regulation that would, in effect, restrict the exercise of that right to only Huntsville and Tuscaloosa should be subject to the same skepticism" it seems his issues is about the distance one would have to travel would place undue burden on the person wanting an abortion.

the same could be said about banning gun sales from a city especially if a person has no personal transportation.

It seems somewhat arbitrary to say banning abortion in all but 2 places in a state is wrong but banning guns in a city is ok and that would be his only defense.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 06:31:43 AM »
my point is to show blackass that liberals already do try and restrict the constitutional right of gun ownership. if you read his first post he asked the question "what if liberals did this with guns?"

in fact they already have simply on a smaller scale in the chicago example a municipality instead of a state. if the crux of the judges argument is "any regulation that would, in effect, restrict the exercise of that right to only Huntsville and Tuscaloosa should be subject to the same skepticism" it seems his issues is about the distance one would have to travel would place undue burden on the person wanting an abortion.

the same could be said about banning gun sales from a city especially if a person has no personal transportation.

It seems somewhat arbitrary to say banning abortion in all but 2 places in a state is wrong but banning guns in a city is ok and that would be his only defense.

What's the point of restricting access?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 06:51:09 AM »
What's the point of restricting access?
in both instances the point is to restrict access

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 07:14:14 AM »
Your missing the judges point,which doesn't surprise me.he's talking about availablty for the state of Alabama,the pro lifers are trying to shut all clinics accept 2 for the entire state.show me a state that only allows guns to be sold at just 2 locations

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 09:21:04 AM »
in both instances the point is to restrict access

I don't understand why people are restricting access to abortions for early term shit though? is there something I am missing?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »
Your missing the judges point,which doesn't surprise me.he's talking about availablty for the state of Alabama,the pro lifers are trying to shut all clinics accept 2 for the entire state.show me a state that only allows guns to be sold at just 2 locations
Lmfao no I get the judges point you just don't get mine which yes it not surprising at all.

You see banning something in a municipality is the same thing only difference is the arbitrary distance that is used

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2014, 09:29:39 AM »
Are you ok with banning gun sales with a municipality blacken?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »
gotta be careful here...  zoning is decided by the people that live there.

most would agree we shouldn't allow liquor store and titty bar across the street from elementary school.

some getbiggers didn't want certain religious institutions located near the twin towers site.

And liquor stores, titty bars, religious institutions,and guns are all protected by the Constitution.

I think they're not banning gun SALES... you can still buy a glock from the trunk of a car anywhere you want.  But as far as what kind of businesses can set up shop there - that's local shit.  

And if I recall correctly, Bundy and the rest of the wild "I don't recognize the federal govt" people - they PREFER letting the local idiots decide everything, right?  Like, if Obama said it, they're ready to riot.  If Sheriff Joe says it, hey, let's roll with it?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
gotta be careful here...  zoning is decided by the people that live there.

most would agree we shouldn't allow liquor store and titty bar across the street from elementary school.

some getbiggers didn't want certain religious institutions located near the twin towers site.

And liquor stores, titty bars, religious institutions,and guns are all protected by the Constitution.

I think they're not banning gun SALES... you can still buy a glock from the trunk of a car anywhere you want.  But as far as what kind of businesses can set up shop there - that's local shit. 

And if I recall correctly, Bundy and the rest of the wild "I don't recognize the federal govt" people - they PREFER letting the local idiots decide everything, right?  Like, if Obama said it, they're ready to riot.  If Sheriff Joe says it, hey, let's roll with it?
LMFAO zoning was not what happend in chicago do you own research fucktard.

The blade also cuts both ways, municipalities could say they wont zone for businesses that perform abortions as well.

quit posting just to fucking post you dumb ass

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2014, 10:36:50 AM »
I don't understand why people are restricting access to abortions for early term shit though? is there something I am missing?
yes you are b/c you cant see anything from another persons point of view.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »
yes you are b/c you cant see anything from another persons point of view.

No I can see many sides, I can understand late term, but what rationally argument is there to not allow woman to abort fetuses at early stages, particularly with health concerns? why restrict access? it's a medical procedure.

You think all life is sacred, yet your definition is arbitrary, is sperm life? a zygote? blastula what? I am more into helping living things first, seems you care about the unborn more then the already living.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »
No I can see many sides, I can understand late term, but what rationally argument is there to not allow woman to abort fetuses at early stages, particularly with health concerns? why restrict access? it's a medical procedure.

You think all life is sacred, yet your definition is arbitrary, is sperm life? a zygote? blastula what? I am more into helping living things first, seems you care about the unborn more then the already living.
hahah thank you for trying to paint me into a box so I can fit your predetermined argument. what are you in upper level classes now luke?

If a person believes that a life begins at conception then why would they be ok with early term abortion and not late? you dont see it from their angle which is why it doesnt make sense to you.

why are you ok with restricting late term but not early term?

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
Supreme Court continues to recognize a constitutional right to choose to terminate a pregnancy      so your only good with constitutional rights when you agree with them, wow who would have thought
if you agree with the judge decision he is constitutionally correct. if you disagree with his decision the judge is an activist judge. go figure?!!
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »
if you agree with the judge decision he is constitutionally correct. if you disagree with his decision the judge is an activist judge. go figure?!!
hahah yup does the hobby lobby ruling mean anything to you?

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »
hahah thank you for trying to paint me into a box so I can fit your predetermined argument. what are you in upper level classes now luke?

If a person believes that a life begins at conception then why would they be ok with early term abortion and not late? you dont see it from their angle which is why it doesnt make sense to you.

why are you ok with restricting late term but not early term?

What the fuck is with you and this Luke thing?

To answer you question, viability.