Author Topic: British "sketch style" comedy - what have I missed?  (Read 20047 times)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
British "sketch style" comedy - what have I missed?
« on: August 11, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »
I'm sitting here watching Fast show re-runs and I've got Little Britain on DVD...

But I reckon in 16+ years away, there's probably a bunch of other good stuff I have totally missed out on.

I prefer the sketch style stuff. Off the wall British humor. The office, Fools & Horses and shows like that aren't bad but I do like the sketches.

So - what have I missed? Obviously, I'm going straight to BitTorrent with this info but at a push may buy a pirate DVD set from Sukhumvit...

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Re: British "sketch style" comedy - what have I missed?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »
"An Idiot Abroad" is concentrated British humour and funny as hell.

karl Pilkington from the idiot aboard, went to do his own show "The Moaning of Life" and it was a great documentary and hilarious at the same time especially if British humour is your thing.

S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:01:11 AM »
look up big train on your tube

its surreal but some of it will genuinely make you laugh till it hurts
T

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:30:10 AM »
Watching British comedy... is like making love to a beautiful women. First you've got to find the right one. Then you turn her on. And then you finish in twentyfive minutes and light your pipe.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »

karl Pilkington from the idiot aboard, went to do his own show "The Moaning of Life" and it was a great documentary and hilarious at the same time especially if British humour is your thing.

Funniest thing on the telly in years.

Simple Simon

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:52:06 AM »
Absolutely

noc

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 04:42:32 PM »
Little Britain is a pile of shite.

Can't think of any decent ones off top of my head...was a fan of Harry Enfield and Chums during my youth - not sure if I'd like it now. Although I saw a clip of the scousers on youtube and it was still amusing  8)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »

Sounds good - I heard a few of their podcasts way back.

What's the skinny on Karl? Is it scripted or is he just really off the wall?

In a way I'd be disappointed if it was scripted but if it is - he deserves an Oscar...

Anyway - ordered both from Amazon seeing as could only find the Russian version on Torrent and I doubt it'll be round at Somchai's local pirate DVD store

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »

Did & ordered the first 2 series...

Thanks

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
Little Britain is a pile of shite.

Can't think of any decent ones off top of my head...was a fan of Harry Enfield and Chums during my youth - not sure if I'd like it now. Although I saw a clip of the scousers on youtube and it was still amusing  8)

I loves Harry Enfield, mind you I thought Porridge was great too. British comedy is always evolving and some of the stuff that was good at the time now seems very dated - Jasper Carrot, Bernard Manning, Stan Boardman etc - the ones on "The Comedians" show at the time - what was that - late 70's early 80's?

The 'alternative' stuff always appealed more - Vic Reeves, even the old Python stuff. I liked Little Britain but think they packed it in at the right time. Even my Thai wife liked Little Britain.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »
How about Rab. C. Nesbitt?

Ich bin... ein sheep shagger! ;D

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 03:31:42 AM »

Another similar sketch series that was 'out there' bit time, but stupidly funny was a late night channel 4 one called 'The Jam' or 'Jam', bound to be on youtube

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 03:37:21 AM »
Sounds good - I heard a few of their podcasts way back.

What's the skinny on Karl? Is it scripted or is he just really off the wall?

In a way I'd be disappointed if it was scripted but if it is - he deserves an Oscar...

Anyway - ordered both from Amazon seeing as could only find the Russian version on Torrent and I doubt it'll be round at Somchai's local pirate DVD store

No, I can't see how it could be scripted. The dude is a narrow minded grumpy geezer and he's taken to places and situations that pretty much push him beyond his comfort zone and that's where the comedy is created.

If you like it, you should get the Moaning of Life.
S

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 05:39:19 AM »
Always made me laugh on the ricky,steve and Karl podcasts and karl talked about his auntie nora,said she wore kaftans without any knickers on,and when he was a kid he was laid on the floor and looked up.Ricky asked him what it looked like and he said "a split tennis ball". ;D

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 05:41:48 AM »

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 06:27:23 AM »
Always made me laugh on the ricky,steve and Karl podcasts and karl talked about his auntie nora,said she wore kaftans without any knickers on,and when he was a kid he was laid on the floor and looked up.Ricky asked him what it looked like and he said "a split tennis ball". ;D

When I was about 8/9, there was this big amazon bird in my school called Lola. She invited me round hers for tea one school night, and she was wearing her grey school skirt. I invented a game, whereby we took turns in sliding on a plastic skateboard underneath the other persons open legs (genius now I look back). Anyway, after about 3 goes, I was doing a slow pass on the board and she wet herself and it went all over my t shirt  :-X :'( :-[

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 06:32:49 AM »
When I was about 8/9, there was this big amazon bird in my school called Lola. She invited me round hers for tea one school night, and she was wearing her grey school skirt. I invented a game, whereby we took turns in sliding on a plastic skateboard underneath the other persons open legs (genius now I look back). Anyway, after about 3 goes, I was doing a slow pass on the board and she wet herself and it went all over my t shirt  :-X :'( :-[

....and that's how BigCyp's golden showers fetish started.
S

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 06:48:48 AM »
No, I can't see how it could be scripted. The dude is a narrow minded grumpy geezer and he's taken to places and situations that pretty much push him beyond his comfort zone and that's where the comedy is created.

If you like it, you should get the Moaning of Life.

He's not narrow minded, nor grumpy.

Karl full well knows what he is saying and the fact he's getting paid to provide material.

I think the man is a comedy genius.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 08:07:12 AM »

Haha classic,and you just know that a young  21st century littleCyp is doing the same thing but recording it on his iphone.

deviant

• Getbig IV
  • C.U.N.T
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 08:10:29 AM »

Yep, it was massively underated at the time.
C.U.N.T

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »
Haha classic,and you just know that a young  21st century littleCyp is doing the same thing but recording it on his iphone.

Hahaha you know that

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »
Done series 1 of an idiot abroad - got 2 & 3 to go.

My 12 year old lad is loving it too - although I do have to keep stopping and explaining stuff - like the word "bollocks" and "cock up". It's proving to be very educational.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 11:02:01 AM »

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 04:24:51 PM »
1st place: Are U being served - Mrs. Slocombe & "her" pussy  ;D
2nd : Keeping up appearances - Hyacinth Bucket
3r : Little Britain - Andy

;D No U.S. TV comedy can match those characters