Author Topic: RIP - Robin Williams  (Read 53622 times)

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: RIP - Robin Williams
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2014, 01:24:08 PM »
Robin's early mentor was Jonathan Winters. They practiced improv together by sitting in a room for an hour doing stich over one hand held object while they had each other laughing in stitches.

Winters lived a long 87 years and kept his body clean unlike Robin. Winters was also A Political while Robin was a leftie loonie out of the Whoopie Goldberg School of the Inept. Its a shame Robin did not follow his mentor closer.

I was a movie fan not a stand up fan.....

None the less a great body of work.

Jonathan Winters was awesome loved him, you could see the similarity in their humor. He played Mork's son in Mork and Mindy.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #201 on: August 12, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »
I can't even imagine his mental state and level of suffering in order to go through with it, taking a belt hanging himself leaving his wife and daughter behind. This guy was carrying a heavy burden obviously.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
In this case though, it was from seeing the mental damage it did to the daughter left behind. I don't know how you can say you love someone then kill yourself knowing it will mess them up. Having said that, I'm sure he felt it was the right path for him at the moment.. and it was his choice. I support his choice, I just think it's a pretty crappy thing to do to your loved ones. 

I agree it sucks to have his loved ones having to now pick up the pieces. Whenever I listened to Robin Williams and his demeanor, I wondered if he was a schitzophrenic or sorts along with manic... And if so, once you start hearing voices and seeing shit, all bets are off...

Simple Simon

« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2014, 01:28:17 PM »
I can't even imagine his mental state and level of suffering in order to go through with it, taking a belt hanging himself leaving his wife and daughter behind. This guy was carrying a heavy burden obviously.
May have been watching a re-run of his films.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: August 12, 2014, 01:30:32 PM »
the privilege of killing oneself should be for everyone, even parents.

If this happened in North Korea, how many generations of Williams would be put in prison for what Robin just did?

Simple Simon

« Reply #205 on: August 12, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »
It may be that he finally got on his own nerves after all these years of getting on everyone else's.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
  • King of Cybex Glute Machine
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »
he got to be 63, thats not a bad age in his profession

patrice o neal 41
john candy 43
chris farley 33
john belushi 33
bernie mac 50
bill hicks 32
greg giraldo 44
andy kaufman 35

comedians are dropping like flies, even more so than professional bodybuilders
imagine if they did steroids too, they wouldnt even get to be 20

MikMaq

« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »
At my lowest I considered suicide, but that circumstance was a spiritual one.  It's a cowardly, unnecessary act especially if you're living in a country with all the pomp, circumstance and affluence of the US.  

Now depression is no joke and I've had family members that have suffered with it for years.  So has my wife's family.  It claims people everyday, but a lot of depression can be treated with medication.  Your brain is literally sick.  I've also seen depression who's source is spiritual in nature (experienced it personally).  Often times the media makes comments about celebrity suicide stating such things as "their demons got the best of them".  They're more right than they even realize.
Oh please shut the fuck up. Im tired of this depression talk bullshit.

Life is fucking meaningless, even if your delightfully happy one has to be intelligent enough to respect that fact. Some people just loose their reasons for living its just as much an intellectual progress as emotional,  Depression is one of these fucking over talked about things. Depression isnt a thing, its a marketing term. Theres so much more to the human mind than feeling crappy.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
It may be that he finally got on his own nerves after all these years of getting on everyone else's.

lolz. A lot of truth to this post.

Simple Simon

« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »

Life is fucking meaningless, even if your delightfully happy one has to be intelligent enough to respect that fact. Some people just loose their reasons for living its just as much an intellectual progress as emotional,  Depression is one of these fucking over talked about things. Depression isnt a thing, its a marketing term. Theres so much more to the human mind than feeling crappy.

You sound depressed.

MikMaq

« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
he got to be 63, thats not a bad age in his profession

patrice o neal 41
john candy 43
chris farley 33
john belushi 33
bernie mac 50
bill hicks 32
greg giraldo 44
andy kaufman 35

comedians are dropping like flies, even more so than professional bodybuilders
imagine if they did steroids too, they wouldnt even get to be 20
Patrice  doesnt count he had diabetes which was bloody sad. If you listen to  him talk months before he died it was fucking sad.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »
Robin Williams is a funny guy.  I look forward to seeing him in Mrs. Doubtfire 2.    ;D

Simple Simon

« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2014, 01:39:59 PM »
lolz. A lot of truth to this post.
I have a picture of him sat on the sofa ranting away to himself and finally shouting "Oh for fucks sake shut your fucking mouth you one trick pony boring twat"

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2014, 01:40:37 PM »

No offense, but you're wrong.  Depression is not simply "the blues" or a choice to "have a pity party".  It can't be fixed with oreos, ice cream and a puppet show.

Do some folks that are just feeling sorry for themselves need to just get up and get over it?  Yes.  This is what folks like you think depression is.....it's not.

Simple Simon

« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
No offense, but you're wrong.  Depression is not simply "the blues" or a choice to "have a pity party".  It can't be fixed with oreos, ice cream and a puppet show.

When, when.........

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2014, 01:41:59 PM »
we got quite a few comedians on getbig, should we be worried?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2014, 01:43:20 PM »
we got quite a few comedians on getbig, should we be worried?
I`m not going to care if you off yourself if thats what you mean.

Look up the suicide hotline your own damn self.

MikMaq

« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »
You sound depressed.
Lol I always will be to some degree.

But their is three seperate types I deal with..

The environmental depression which is by far the worst, just feeling miserable because there is too much noise, my back hurts, insert random shit here.

The intellectual depression I face when I dont have something to focus my energy on. Basically I run down a train of thought I.e. start believing in god, which is great for a while, but than starts leaning into some dark ideas. This is the kind I have to keep out a watch for, as it comes out of personal beliefs.  

The defeated feelings I have from having few options socially. Im isolated from people it puts an extreme mental toll on ones mind. Its not unusual for me to go 4-5 days without talking to anyone. Without evening realizing it fucks my head up bad.

But I dont like calling it depression, the sources of the three are all completely different.

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2014, 01:45:33 PM »
I`m not going to care if you off yourself if thats what you mean.

Look up the suicide hotline your own damn self.

Are you saying im funny?

Simple Simon

« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »
Lol I always will be to some degree.

But their is three seperate types I deal with..

The environmental depression which is by far the worst, just feeling miserable because there is too much noise, my back hurts, insert random shit here.

The intellectual depression I face when I dont have something to focus my energy on. Basically I run down a train of thought I.e. start believing in god, which is great for a while, but than starts leaning into some dark ideas. This is the kind I have to keep out a watch for, as it comes out of personal beliefs.  

The defeated feelings I have from having few options socially. Im isolated from people it puts an extreme mental toll on ones mind. Its not unusual for me to go 4-5 days without talking to anyone. Without evening realizing it fucks my head up bad.
The term "depression" doesn't mean you necessarily feel down and miserable.
I know a guy who just lost interest in things he normally like doing and gained other interests, he started travelling on buses for hours on end on his days off from work, never did before.

Depression can be various things.

MikMaq

« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
The term "depression" doesn't mean you necessarily feel down and miserable.
I know a guy who just lost interest in things he normally like doing and gained other interests, he started travelling on buses for hours on end on his days off from work, never did before.

Depression can be various things.
Well if you can appreciate the diversity of depression I think its fucking pointless to call it under the same name.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »
Are you saying im funny?
I`m saying you are probably better off dead and nobody wants to stop you from that goal.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
Melancholia/Melancholy
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the historical concept of melancholia as one of the "four temperaments". For other uses, see Melancholia (disambiguation).

Melencolia I by Albrecht Dürer.
Melancholia (from Greek μελαγχολία melancholia "sadness", literally black bile),[1] also lugubriousness, from the Latin lugere, to mourn; moroseness, from the Latin morosus, self-willed, fastidious habit; wistfulness, from old English wist: intent, or saturnine, was a concept in ancient and pre-modern medicine. Melancholy was one of the four temperaments matching the four humours.[2] In the 19th century, "melancholia" could be physical as well as mental, and melancholic conditions were classified as such by their common cause rather than by their properties.[3]

Hippocrates is considered the first physician to describe melancholia or depression, clinically.[4][5]
The name "melancholia" comes from the old medical belief of the four humors: disease or ailment being caused by an imbalance in one or other of the four basic bodily liquids, or humors. Personality types were similarly determined by the dominant humor in a particular person. According to Hippocrates and subsequent tradition, melancholia was caused by an excess of black bile,[6] hence the name, which means 'black bile', from Ancient Greek μέλας (melas), "dark, black",[7] and χολή (kholé), "bile";[8] a person whose constitution tended to have a preponderance of black bile had a melancholic disposition. In the complex elaboration of humorist theory, it was associated with the earth from the Four Elements, the season of autumn, the spleen as the originating organ and cold & dry as related qualities.
Melancholia was described as a distinct disease with particular mental and physical symptoms in the 5th and 4th centuries BC. Hippocrates, in his Aphorisms, characterized all "fears and despondencies, if they last a long time" as being symptomatic of melancholia.[9] When a patient could not be cured of the disease it was thought that the melancholia was a result of demonic possession. [10] [11]
In his study of French and Burgundian courtly culture, Johan Huizinga[12] noted that "at the close of the Middle Ages, a sombre melancholy weighs on people's souls." In chronicles, poems, sermons, even in legal documents, an immense sadness, a note of despair and a fashionable sense of suffering and deliquescence at the approaching end of times, suffuses court poets and chroniclers alike: Huizinga quotes instances in the ballads of Eustache Deschamps, "monotonous and gloomy variations of the same dismal theme", and in Georges Chastellain's prologue to his Burgundian chronicle,[13] and in the late fifteenth-century poetry of Jean Meschinot. Ideas of reflection and the workings of imagination are blended in the term merencolie, embodying for contemporaries "a tendency", observes Huizinga, "to identify all serious occupation of the mind with sadness".[14]
The most extended treatment of melancholia comes from Robert Burton, whose The Anatomy of Melancholy (1621) treats the subject from both a literary and a medical perspective. Burton wrote in the 16th century that music and dance were critical in treating mental illness, especially melancholia.[15]
But to leave all declamatory speeches in praise [3481] of divine music, I will confine myself to my proper subject: besides that excellent power it hath to expel many other diseases, it is a sovereign remedy against [3482] despair and melancholy, and will drive away the devil himself. Canus, a Rhodian fiddler, in [3483] Philostratus, when Apollonius was inquisitive to know what he could do with his pipe, told him, "That he would make a melancholy man merry, and him that was merry much merrier than before, a lover more enamoured, a religious man more devout." Ismenias the Theban, [3484] Chiron the centaur, is said to have cured this and many other diseases by music alone: as now they do those, saith [3485] Bodine, that are troubled with St. Vitus's Bedlam dance.[16][17][18]
A famous allegorical engraving by Albrecht Dürer is entitled Melencolia I. This engraving portrays melancholia as the state of waiting for inspiration to strike, and not necessarily as a depressive affliction. Amongst other allegorical symbols, the picture includes a magic square, and a truncated rhombohedron.[19] The image in turn inspired a passage in The City of Dreadful Night by James Thomson (B.V.), and, a few years later, a sonnet by Edward Dowden.
Cult[edit]

A Wistful Look, by James Carroll Beckwith
During the early 17th century, a curious cultural and literary cult of melancholia arose in England. It was believed that religious uncertainties caused by the English Reformation and a greater attention being paid to issues of sin, damnation, and salvation, led to this effect.
In music, the post-Elizabethan cult of melancholia is associated with John Dowland, whose motto was Semper Dowland, semper dolens. ("Always Dowland, always mourning.") The melancholy man, known to contemporaries as a "malcontent," is epitomized by Shakespeare's Prince Hamlet, the "Melancholy Dane." Other major melancholic authors include Sir Thomas Browne, and Jeremy Taylor, whose Hydriotaphia, Urn Burial and Holy Living and Holy Dying, respectively, contain extensive meditations on death.
A similar phenomenon, though not under the same name, occurred during the German Sturm und Drang movement, with such works as The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe or in Romanticism with works such as Ode on Melancholy by John Keats or in Symbolism with works such as Isle of the Dead by Arnold Böcklin. In the 20th century, much of the counterculture of modernism was fueled by comparable alienation and a sense of purposelessness called "anomie"; earlier artistic preoccupation with death has gone under the rubric of memento mori.
Related concepts In Islam[edit]
The Arabic word found as ḥuzn and ḥazan[citation needed] in the Qur'an and hüzün in modern Turkish refers to the pain and sorrow over a loss, death of relatives in the case of the Qur'an. Two schools further interpreted this feeling. The first sees it as a sign that one is too attached to the material world, while Sufism took it to represent a feeling of personal insufficiency, that one was not getting close enough to God and did not or could not do enough for God in this world.[20] The Turkish writer Orhan Pamuk, in the book Istanbul: Memories and the City,[20] further elaborates on the added meaning hüzün has acquired in modern Turkish. It has come to denote a sense of failure in life, lack of initiative and tendency to retreat into oneself, symptoms quite similar to melancholia.[citation needed] According to Pamuk it was a defining character of cultural works from Istanbul after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.[21] One may see similarities with how melancholic romantic paintings in the west sometimes used ruins from the age of the Roman Empire as a backdrop.
As a parallel with physicians of classical Greece, ancient Arabic physicians and psychologists also categorized ḥuzn as a disease.[citation needed] Al-Kindi (c. 801–873 CE) links it with disease-like mental states like anger, passion, hatred and depression, while the Persian physician Avicenna (980–1037 CE) diagnosed ḥuzn in a lovesick man if his pulse increased drastically when the name of the girl he loved was spoken.[22] Avicenna suggests, in remarkable similarity with Robert Burton, many causes for melancholy, including the fear of death, intrigues surrounding one's life, and lost love.[citation needed] As remedies, he recommends treatments addressing both the medical and philosophical sources of the melancholy, including rational thought, morale, discipline, fasting and coming to terms with the catastrophe.
The various uses of ḥuzn and hüzün thus describe melancholy from a certain vantage point,[citation needed] show similarities with female hysteria in the case of Avicenna's patient and in a religious context it is not unlike sloth, which by Dante was defined as "failure to love God with all one's heart, all one's mind and all one's soul". Thomas Aquinas described sloth as "an oppressive sorrow, which, to wit, so weighs upon man's mind, that he wants to do nothing."[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melancholia

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »
I`m saying you are probably better off dead and nobody wants to stop you from that goal.

Good i dont want people to stand in my way of going where im supposed to go

thegamechanger

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »
i thought melancholia was a movie  ???