Author Topic: Obama promised to not go on vacation if elected POTUS in 2008 - Video  (Read 12687 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Obama promised to not go on vacation if elected POTUS in 2008 - Video
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
SC lied about the title of the thread?

He must be a radical muslim then

Islam Permits Lying to Deceive Unbelievers and Bring World Domination!

http://www.muslimfact.com/bm/terror-in-the-name-of-islam/islam-permits-lying-to-deceive-unbelievers-and-bri.shtml

al-Taqiyya:
deception; the islamic word for concealing or disguising one’s beliefs, convictions, ideas, feelings, opinions, and/or strategies.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »

where is the quote of Obama promising not to take a vacation.
he seems to be talking about how being POTUS is not just a job but that "you give your life to it".
he seems to be talking in general terms about how the job becomes your life 24/7
He obviously was well aware that prior POTUS's took vacations, spent time with family, had leisure time, etc..

This is from 2008 but for some reason it's presently making the rounds of right wing media which is why our resident mental patient posted it today

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »
where is the quote of Obama promising not to take a vacation.
he seems to be talking about how being POTUS is not just a job but that "you give your life to it".
he seems to be talking in general terms about how the job becomes your life 24/7
He obviously was well aware that prior POTUS's took vacations, spent time with family, had leisure time, etc..

This is from 2008 but for some reason it's presently making the rounds of right wing media which is why our resident mental patient posted it today

Lol so wait if it's old it doesn't matter?

Shit that's news to me, where were you when they were asking for to nets tax returns or bringing up Bain, or his garbage man?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »
Lol so wait if it's old it doesn't matter?

Shit that's news to me, where were you when they were asking for to nets tax returns or bringing up Bain, or his garbage man?

No, it doesn't matter because he doesn't promise to never take a vacation.

I'm just wondering why this clip is just making the rounds of right wing media in the last few days when it is 6 years old.

I would file this in the "who gives a shit" category but I just find it odd that it's suddenly making the rounds

FYI - you can google almost any story posted by certain people on this board and see that they do nothing more than regurgitate the latest right wing crap and never even bother to check if it's accurate, complete or true.

That's how very likely Joe Loco owned himself into oblivion with that Joe Barton thread a few days ago

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »

No.  You can interpret Obama's comment as saying he isn't going to take vacations.  I don't really interpret them that way, but I think he was saying he would not be doing things like coming to Hawaii on separate jets with his wife and staying in a beachside home in December, something he never did before being elected president. 

"You have to understand that if you seek that office, then you have to be prepared to give your life to it. "Essentially, the bargain that I think every President strikes with the American people is, ‘you give me this office, then in turn my fears, doubts, insecurities, foibles, need for sleep, family life, vacations, leisure, is gone. I am giving myself to you.’ "

-Senator Obama, running for President in 2008

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
No.  You can interpret Obama's comment as saying he isn't going to take vacations.  I don't really interpret them that way, but I think he was saying he would not be doing things like coming to Hawaii on separate jets with his wife and staying in a beachside home in December, something he never did before being elected president. 

"You have to understand that if you seek that office, then you have to be prepared to give your life to it. "Essentially, the bargain that I think every President strikes with the American people is, ‘you give me this office, then in turn my fears, doubts, insecurities, foibles, need for sleep, family life, vacations, leisure, is gone. I am giving myself to you.’ "

-Senator Obama, running for President in 2008

yeah, apparently he thinks that this is the "bargain" that every POTUS strike with the American people.

does that sentence makes sense to you.

do you think he's unaware of the former POTUS going on vacation, spending time with their family or even sleeping

Given that this is a 2 minute clip and we have no clue what the context was or what he said before or after, and given his statement about all other POTUS's making this bargain, I'm going to assume he was just talking prosaically about the 24/7 aspect of the job and giving your life over to it.

that's the only thing that makes sense given the limited info and the obvious assumption that he was aware of the lives and activities of prior POTUS's

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 04:04:52 PM »

I'm just wondering why this clip is just making the rounds of right wing media in the last few days when it is 6 years old.

I would file this in the "who gives a shit" category but I just find it odd that it's suddenly making the rounds

FYI - you can google almost any story posted by certain people on this board and see that they do nothing more than regurgitate the latest right wing crap and never even bother to check if it's accurate, complete or true.

That's how very likely Joe Loco owned himself into oblivion with that Joe Barton thread a few days ago

probably b/c its just now coming to light, again I didnt hear you saying the same thing when they were asking for romneys tax returns or his bain experience or his garbage man...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 04:07:51 PM »

‘you give me this office, then in turn my fears, doubts, insecurities, foibles, need for sleep, family life, vacations, leisure, is gone.'

its plain and simple to see what he means here straw, anyone that says it isnt is a fucking idiot or simply dishonest.

Now I think we can also say that he is obviously exagerating to some extent in his statement as well

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 04:28:36 PM »
Does he say: "as president I will not take vacations" ?   No. 

Does he suggest as president he will not take vacations?   Yes. 

By that logic he also.suggests he won't sleep or see his family lol

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »
Does he say: "as president I will not take vacations" ?   No. 

Does he suggest as president he will not take vacations?   Yes. 

Does he suggest that all POTUS strike a deal to never take a vacation, spend time with their family, engage in leisure activities?....... apparently if we follow your line of thinking then the answer is yes

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »
Does he say: "as president I will not take vacations" ?   No.  

Does he suggest as president he will not take vacations?   Yes.  

agreed, i think its obvious to anyone honest that he implied he would limit the amount of personal time he takes.

I think its obvious to anyone honest that he has not...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »
‘you give me this office, then in turn my fears, doubts, insecurities, foibles, need for sleep, family life, vacations, leisure, is gone.'

its plain and simple to see what he means here straw, anyone that says it isnt is a fucking idiot or simply dishonest.

Now I think we can also say that he is obviously exagerating to some extent in his statement as well

that's because you're plain and most definitely simple

he starts about by saying if you seek that office you have to be prepared to give your life to it

that sets the framework to understand his comments that follow where he makes the claim about the bargain that all POTUS's make

If you want to believe he is promising to never take a vacation that's your business.  As usual, don't expect me to join in your stupidity or best case, utter confusion

Here is the full interview:

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Free-Audio-Video/Politics/Political-Figures/A-Conversation-with-Barack-Obama/22223#

When you go to the link you see there are comments starting from Feb 2008 so it's not like this was some secretly leaked tape but for some reason the right wing echo chamber recently decided to make it another phony issue to fire up their base of lemmings

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »
that's because you're plain and most definitely simple

he starts about by saying if you seek that office you have to be prepared to give your life to it

that sets the framework to understand his comments that follow where he makes the claim about the bargain that all POTUS's make

If you want to believe he is promising to never take a vacation that's your business.  As usual, don't expect me to join in your stupidity or best case, utter confusion

Here is the full interview:

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Free-Audio-Video/Politics/Political-Figures/A-Conversation-with-Barack-Obama/22223#
agreed, i think its obvious to anyone honest that he implied he would limit the amount of personal time he takes.

I think its obvious to anyone honest that he has not...
if you want to believe that he isnt implying that a president should severly limit his personal time dont expect me to join in your stupidity.

Its obvious he was exagerating as I have already said, its also obvious his point is that a president should limit his personal time in leu of his duties....

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2014, 04:58:43 PM »
if you want to believe that he is implying that a president should severly limit his personal time dont expect me to join in your stupidity.

Its obvious he was exagerating as I have already said, its also obvious his point is that a president should limit his personal time in leu of his duties....

can you please learn to spell or at least use spell check

are you aware he was not even a candidate when he made the statement

he was talking in very broad terms about dedicating your life to the job and everything else that normal people might prioritize (family, leisure, etc..) takes a back seat.

It's no more complicated than that

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2014, 05:03:13 PM »

he was talking in very broad terms about dedicating your life to the job and everything else that normal people might prioritize (family, leisure, etc..) takes a back seat.

again so b/c it was a long time ago it doesnt matter? you said a few posts ago that its not b.c of that, make up your fucking mind....

its obvious he was saying that a president should severly limit his personal time, its obvious he doesnt....its that fucking simple

and no, if the spell check didnt require a pop up i would probably use it but the spelling doesnt bother me nearly as much as it does you i guess lol

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2014, 05:06:04 PM »
again so b/c it was a long time ago it doesnt matter? you said a few posts ago that its not b.c of that, make up your fucking mind....

its obvious he was saying that a president should severly limit his personal time, its obvious he doesnt....its that fucking simple

and no, if the spell check didnt require a pop up i would probably use it but the spelling doesnt bother me nearly as much as it does you i guess lol

stop asking me the same questions over and over again

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2014, 05:08:18 PM »
Obama's original statement was silly. Nobody can work without some downtime, especially in jobs where there is high pressure and mental acuity is important. In fact, counterintuitive as it may seem, mentally taxing work requires a lot of downtime because the brain doesn't "spin down" instantly and a good night's sleep won't necessarily help someone who has been doing taxing mental work as much as it would help someone doing taxing physical work.

I find the notion that a President shouldn't be able to go play a round of golf or a game of basketball, to run or ride his bicycle, and to take some time to unwind to be stupid. The President is a human being, like the rest of us. He's not invested with superpowers making him immune to stress and fatigue.

Add to that that the President is never really on vacation anyways, since the office basically travels with and surrounds him at all times, and I don't think much about whether Obama is in the Oval Office, on Air Force 1, in Chicago, Hawaii, or Martha's Vineyard. Same with Bush II before him, and Clinton before that, etc.

But it can certainly look bad, and Obama (like Bush) is looking bad because he does these things at inopportune times and without regard for appearances. I find that weird from an otherwise talented and polished politician.

Beyond that, I see little to outrage me here, except the expense to taxpayers.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
Obama's original statement was silly. Nobody can work without some downtime, especially in jobs where there is high pressure and mental acuity is important. In fact, counterintuitive as it may seem, mentally taxing work requires a lot of downtime because the brain doesn't "spin down" instantly and a good night's sleep won't necessarily help someone who has been doing taxing mental work as much as it would help someone doing taxing physical work.

I find the notion that a President shouldn't be able to go play a round of golf or a game of basketball, to run or ride his bicycle, and to take some time to unwind to be stupid. The President is a human being, like the rest of us. He's not invested with superpowers making him immune to stress and fatigue.

Add to that that the President is never really on vacation anyways, since the office basically travels with and surrounds him at all times, and I don't think much about whether Obama is in the Oval Office, on Air Force 1, in Chicago, Hawaii, or Martha's Vineyard. Same with Bush II before him, and Clinton before that, etc.

But it can certainly look bad, and Obama (like Bush) is looking bad because he does these things at inopportune times and without regard for appearances. I find that weird from an otherwise talented and polished politician.

keep in mind that he was on a book tour and had not even announced his candidacy.
when you watch the full video (and fast forward to this part) you will see the interviewer ask him if he is running and he won't even answer the question.   It's not worded very elegantly but he's just saying that this is not merely a job but a 24/7 commitment and normal priorities take a back seat.

I totally agree that vacations (and time with your family and leisure) are all necessary and have no doubt citizen Obama was well aware of the past activities of POTUS's

BTW - no one would even be talking about this if the right wing echo chamber didn't all decide to make this little clip a talking point (no doubt because Obama is about to head off on vacation)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »

agreed on all accounts, i think 3's point was to point out yet another example in the long line of examples of obamas hypocrisey.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
keep in mind that he was on a book tour and had not even announced his candidacy.
when you watch the full video (and fast forward to this part) you will see the interviewer ask him if he is running and he won't even answer the question.   It's not worded very elegantly but he's just saying that this is not merely a job but a 24/7 commitment and normal priorities take a back seat.

I totally agree that vacations (and time with your family and leisure) are all necessary and have no doubt citizen Obama was well aware of the past activities of POTUS's

BTW - no one would even be talking about this if the right wing echo chamber didn't all decide to make this little clip a talking point (no doubt because Obama is about to head off on vacation)
what does it matter if he wasnt an candidate?

no one would have ever brought up romneys tax returns or his garbage man either if it wasnt for the libtard left, so what?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »

I agree. But how many vacations does it take considering this guy has the lightest schedule I've ever seen for someone who is supposed to be the "leader" of the free world?

Here is last weeks schedule, one week before his vacation....again. Feel free to scroll back through some months..

http://www.whitehouse.gov/schedule/president/2014-W32

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 05:17:38 PM »

no one would have ever brought up romneys tax returns or his garbage man either if it wasnt for the libtard left, so what?

Didn't he announce his candidacy in 2007?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »

the reason I brought that up

you can keep asking me dumb question but you've run out of my goodwill on this thread

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »
the reason I brought that up
you can keep asking me dumb question but you've run out of my goodwill on this thread
that doesnt explain why it matters if he was a candidate or not then....maybe in your mind it does but in the real world...NOPE

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2014, 05:24:36 PM »
Didn't he announce his candidacy in 2007?

yep

the original video appears to be a book tour interview for The Audacity of Hope published in 2006

Full interview video -

43:14 mark the interviewer asks him if he can imagine making the choice to run