Author Topic: I hate "rest days"  (Read 8833 times)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
I hate "rest days"
« on: August 15, 2014, 07:23:17 AM »
Even though I need them more than ever. Between the high(er) volume workouts and the various parts breaking down, one rest day for every three of training is a requirement for me.

I know it's a good thing, but I just want to train, train, train. It's an illness.

Maybe I will do some "active recovery" like conditioning stuff! Yeah!

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: I hate "rest days"
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 07:24:21 AM »
You sound like a warrior!!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:25:36 AM »
Even though I need them more than ever. Between the high(er) volume workouts and the various parts breaking down, one rest day for every three of training is a requirement for me.

I know it's a good thing, but I just want to train, train, train. It's an illness.

Spend those days searching the web for new attachments, weights, bars, racks, benches

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:27:23 AM »
Spend those days searching the web for new attachments, weights, bars, racks, benches

I like the way you think!

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:28:08 AM »
You sound like a warrior!!

Meh, I doubt that. I do enjoy my time under the weight pile, though. Meditative.

Uncle Junior

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:28:57 AM »

Do cardio instead bro.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 07:29:33 AM »
Didn't you own a Specialized Stumpjumper? ???

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 07:31:52 AM »
Didn't you own a Specialized Stumpjumper? ???

I do! I don't ride it as much as I used to.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:32:40 AM »
Meh, I doubt that. I do enjoy my time under the weight pile, though. Meditative.

Don't sell yourself short.  Go to war with the weights everyday.  I walk into the gym carrying a sword and a battle axe because I know combat is coming.   

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:33:29 AM »
MOS typical gym attire:

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 07:33:49 AM »
I do! I don't ride it as much as I used to.

C'mon mayne, get out and ride. I put around 100 km each week on my full susser, it's damn addictive.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 07:35:24 AM »
Do cardio instead bro.

Joon, cardio is the tool of the devil. :D

Maybe some HIIT drills.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 07:37:38 AM »
C'mon mayne, get out and ride. I put around 100 km each week on my full susser, it's damn addictive.

I may see if the missus wants to do some circuit HIIT in the driveway. It frequently leads to hot sex. Not in the driveway, though. Although nobody can see us from there....

Nah, too many rocks and shit.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2014, 07:38:31 AM »
Do cardio instead bro.

AHAHAAH!!! "cardio".   If I wanted to be healthy I'd eat a carrot.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 07:46:10 AM »

here, try this:
- reduce the intensity of your work outs such that you are able to work out more days.
- Ice baths/soak after each work out
- Quit your job and sleep all day to recover from you work out.
- "Supplements"
- One or two grapefruit each day to increase Test production, it worked for Kai.

I

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 07:49:15 AM »
Inline

here, try this:
- reduce the intensity of your work outs such that you are able to work out more days. Crazy talk
- Ice baths/soak after each work out Will consider
- Quit your job and sleep all day to recover from you work out. A tad extreme, but will consider
- "Supplements" Way ahead of you
- One or two grapefruit each day to increase Test production, it worked for Kai. Will get on this ASAP

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »
Don't rest=problem solved. :)

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 07:51:49 AM »
Don't rest=problem solved. :)

Finally, some sensible advice.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 08:09:01 AM »
Inline

why is quitting your job to focus on your bodybuilding/weight lifting such a difficult decision? your lack of dedication sickens me  ::)
I

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 08:11:39 AM »
Finally, some sensible advice.

We train similarly.  Rest days are only not enjoyable when you feel you haven't earned them.
Y

Uncle Junior

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 08:18:37 AM »
AHAHAAH!!! "cardio".   If I wanted to be healthy I'd eat a carrot.

Whats wrong with cardio?  ???

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 08:21:01 AM »
We train similarly.  Rest days are only not enjoyable when you feel you haven't earned them.

The thing is that I *do* feel like I earned them. I busted my ass in the gym for the last three days. I just want to be able to bust my ass everyday and still grow and not get injured. A little juice helps, but it isn't a perfect shield. Also, carb cycling down is a downer too.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 08:23:45 AM »
Whats wrong with cardio?  ???

Steady-state cardio increases cortisol which can depress test and increase fat stores. Somewhat counter-intuitive, I know. "Studies show" that HIIT type training doesn't have the same deleterious effects. Cardio for extended periods of time "in the zone" can pretty much make you fat.

Uncle Junior

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 08:51:16 AM »
Steady-state cardio increases cortisol which can depress test and increase fat stores. Somewhat counter-intuitive, I know. "Studies show" that HIIT type training doesn't have the same deleterious effects. Cardio for extended periods of time "in the zone" can pretty much make you fat.

lmao...no disrepect intended to you at all my friend but that is single handily the most stupid thing I ever heard.

When injecting exogenous testosterone (often times 100 times more than what your body is capable of producing) the last fucking thing on earth you need to worry about is anything effecting your test levels and certainly not cardio  ::)

You also don't need to remotely worry about cortisol guys like Big J in my gym and Arnold used to train for 5-6 hours a day on crazy splits hitting each body part 3 times a week 6 days a week.

Over training and CNS exhaustion will only generally affect elite athletes like marathon runners, MMA athletes who would trains like 30 + hours a week.

99% of gym rats don't even need to worry about it.

Of course if you are severely dieting on very low calorie or carb diet (like the gal diet) they yeah not crazy amounts of cardio.

But running hard for one hour at a time is not gonna make you fat or make you lose muscle or be detrimental to your progress.

If anything it will improve everything so long as you take in proper nutrition and rest and make you lose fat.

You don't need to do cardio but if you get sick of weights nothing wrong with doing a bit of cardio, steady state of HIIT....unless you just don't like it and are lazy.  :D

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 09:09:12 AM »

lmao...no disrepect intended to you at all my friend but that is single handily the most stupid thing I ever heard.

When injecting exogenous testosterone (often times 100 times more than what your body is capable of producing) the last fucking thing on earth you need to worry about is anything effecting your test levels and certainly not cardio  ::)

You also don't need to remotely worry about cortisol guys like Big J in my gym and Arnold used to train for 5-6 hours a day on crazy splits hitting each body part 3 times a week 6 days a week.

Over training and CNS exhaustion will only generally affect elite athletes like marathon runners, MMA athletes who would trains like 30 + hours a week.

99% of gym rats don't even need to worry about it.

Of course if you are severely dieting on very low calorie or carb diet (like the gal diet) they yeah not crazy amounts of cardio.

But running hard for one hour at a time is not gonna make you fat or make you lose muscle or be detrimental to your progress.

If anything it will improve everything so long as you take in proper nutrition and rest and make you lose fat.

You don't need to do cardio but if you get sick of weights nothing wrong with doing a bit of cardio, steady state of HIIT....unless you just don't like it and are lazy.  :D

Fair enough.

I just don't get a lot of value out of cardio for the time invested. I would rather do 20-30 minutes of HIIT than an hour on the stair master (God help me). When I ruptured my achilles, I was not able to do a lick of cardio for 3 months. Total weight gained: zero pounds. Kept it in check with diet and upper body weight lifting.

Of course, some of that may have been due to the catastrophic atrophy in my legs during that period  :-X