Cholo4Life

• Getbig II
  • Team Myostatin Deficient
+
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
+

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Rick Perry Indicted
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 04:30:59 PM »
Well he might be kissing his already slim-to-none 2016 chance goodbye.  

Texas Gov. Perry indicted for coercion for veto threat
Published August 15, 2014
Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas –  Texas Gov. Rick Perry has been indicted for abuse of power after carrying out a threat to veto funding for state public corruption prosecutors.

The Republican governor is accused of abusing his official powers by publicly promising to veto $7.5 million for the state public integrity unit at the Travis County District Attorney's office. He was indicted by an Austin grand jury Friday.

Perry said he'd veto the funding if the district attorney, Rosemary Lehmberg, didn't resign. Lehmberg had recently been convicted of drunken driving. The state's Public Integrity Unit operates out of her office.

When Lehmberg refused, Perry carried out his veto, drawing an ethics complaint.

Perry is the first Texas governor indicted in nearly a century. He's leaving office in January, but he's a possible 2016 presidential run.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/15/texas-gov-perry-indicted-for-coercion-for-veto-threat/

AD2100

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »
HAHA!
Adios to that dumb bastard! :D

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »
 :o

A grand jury was called to determine whether or not Perry broke the law when he threatened to veto the funding. As a result they issued indictments on two felony charges: abuse of official capacity and coercion of public servant. If found guilty on the charges, Perry could be sentenced to a maximum 109 years in prison.

http://kxan.com/2014/08/15/texas-governor-rick-perry-indicted-by-grand-jury/

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
This is red meat for proggies for sure, but fucking weak nonetheless. It's going no where.

Perry said Lehmberg, who is based in Austin, should resign after she was arrested and pleaded guilty to drunken driving in April 2013. A video recording made at the jail showed Lehmberg shouting at staffers to call the sheriff, kicking the door of her cell and sticking her tongue out.

Lehmberg faced pressure from other high-profile Republicans in addition to Perry to give up her post. Her blood-alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit for driving.

Lehmberg served about half of her 45-day jail sentence but stayed in office, despite Perry's assertions that her behavior was inappropriate.

The jail video led to an investigation of Lehmberg by a separate grand jury, which decided she should not be removed for official misconduct.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 06:28:24 PM »
Well if he get found guilty and the maximum is 109 years then Obama should be facing the death penalty.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
Just as I suspected ....a left wing pussy hit job. How predictable is this?

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/168367-breaking-news-governor-rick-perry-indicted-grand-jury-abusing-veto-power/

SCRUBS

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 06:46:06 PM »

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/168367-breaking-news-governor-rick-perry-indicted-grand-jury-abusing-veto-power/

I like some of the comments, " it`s payback for trying to cut off the supply of democrat voters"  LOL.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
You heard it here first: This idiotic case will go nowhere.

As to the indictment hampering Rick Perry's presidential bid, the guy never had a snowballs chance in hell to begin with. I wouldn't vote for him if my life depended on it. I would wager that most voters on the right feel the same way.

That said,the underlying allegations of the indictment against Perry are nothing short of comical. More banana republic, third world, left wing buffoonery in action.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 10:12:22 PM »

it was 100% led by left-wing nutjobs.  however, despite his pure intentions here, he did break the law, I dont think anyone can deny it.  We can say it's okay that he did it, but I'm not sure anyone can look at his actions and say it's legal.  It's really not.

That being said, I'm still betting on Perry to win the nomination in 2016, by golly.   Without jeb, he's the wise veteran on that stage and he's from TX and he has great hair.   So yes, he's guilty, yes it was led by dems, yes he will beat it.  that's my 2 cents.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 10:21:59 PM »
it was 100% led by left-wing nutjobs.  however, despite his pure intentions here, he did break the law, I dont think anyone can deny it.  We can say it's okay that he did it, but I'm not sure anyone can look at his actions and say it's legal.  It's really not.

That being said, I'm still betting on Perry to win the nomination in 2016, by golly.   Without jeb, he's the wise veteran on that stage and he's from TX and he has great hair.   So yes, he's guilty, yes it was led by dems, yes he will beat it.  that's my 2 cents.

This is what usually outs you as a leftist. You reek of sarcasm in almost all of your posts. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 06:39:24 AM »
This is what usually outs you as a leftist. You reek of sarcasm in almost all of your posts. 

you can read it this way.  And while I have used some sarcasm in some posts, I'm not using it here, and there's no need to think the worst of me. The article itself, and FOX news that I listened to tonight , and news site all over- they made it very clear that one political group (I forget the name), FORCED the courts to pursue this with countless requests.  The state prosecutor had no choice but to indict, even tho the "crime" was a violation of rules but was so small and isolated with barely any effect upon the state of TX.  This one group made this happen, they're a left-wing group.  it's a fact, it is not me using sarcasm.

Really, I have disgust for most extremist groups on both sides.  I see what Perry did here.  I see their actions as petty, whiny, and so very unnecessary in the bigger scheme of things. There are MUCH bigger issues to worry about.  For the democrats, this is like busting Capone on tax evasion.  They want to stop Perry's politcal agenda - so they use this act to go after him.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 07:07:17 AM »
You heard it here first: This idiotic case will go nowhere.

As to the indictment hampering Rick Perry's presidential bid, the guy never had a snowballs chance in hell to begin with. I wouldn't vote for him if my life depended on it. I would wager that most voters on the right feel the same way.

That said,the underlying allegations of the indictment against Perry are nothing short of comical. More banana republic, third world, left wing buffoonery in action.  
agreed on all accounts

I don't necessarily disagree with you but it is Texas after all.

and where are you from numb nut?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 07:12:53 AM »
perry can win because he has "just enough" credibility with all groups.

He's juuuust credible enough with the base - he's been smart enough not to step in shit with them, although he's no tea partier.

He's just credible enough with the Bush fans - his hair, look, gov of texas.

He's credible enough with the beer swilling simpleton voters - he did that one speech buzzed lol.

He's a good looking dude, for all those who vote on attractiveness - Almost a male palin, although way more experience.

He's the elder statesman on that stage, given no Jeb.  He's confident, has gravitas, and at times, gives no fcks.  People elect the one that seems the most confident, that doesn't need the job.  

I like cruz best for 2016, but if I had to bet, my money's on Perry to win the GOP nomination.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 07:25:22 AM »
Ban Austin.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 06:54:45 PM »
Lefty Law Professor: That Indictment Against Rick Perry is "Un-American"
Daniel Doherty | Aug 18, 2014

Friday night there was some major breaking news: Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) was slapped with a lawsuit for supposedly “abusing his power” when he unilaterally stripped funding to the Travis County Public Integrity Unit, an ethics office that investigates government employees for criminal wrongdoing.

The long and short of it is that Perry wanted to strong-arm liberal District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg into resigning after her infamous and deeply embarrassing DUI arrest hit the papers. “Perry made it clear in public statements and through emissaries that he didn’t believe the state should fund an office headed by someone who had lost the public’s trust,” The Dallas Morning News reported.

The special prosecutor in this case, however, believes he has more than enough evidence to make both charges stick.

Either way, Republicans in the state, and Perry’s backers, have stuck by him, arguing that his decision to veto the legislation, however one wants to interpret what he did, was legal. And Alan Dershowitz, of all people, a liberal scholar at Harvard Law School, wholeheartedly agrees (via Newsweek):

The charges are politically motivated and an example of a "dangerous" trend of courts being used to affect the ballot box and politics, he told Newsmax on Saturday.

"Everybody, liberal or conservative, should stand against this indictment," Dershowitz said. "If you don't like how Rick Perry uses his office, don't vote for him."

He went further:

"This is another example of the criminalization of party differences," said Dershowitz, a prominent scholar on United States constitutional law and criminal law who writes the "Legally Speaking" column for Newsmax. "This idea of an indictment is an extremely dangerous trend in America, whether directed at [former House Majority Leader] Tom DeLay or [former President] Bill Clinton."

Further, Dershowitz said, such indictments are something that's done in totalitarian countries and should not be done in the United States.

In such countries, "if you don't like them, you indict," Dershowitz said. "In America, you vote against them...this should be up to the voters. There is no room in America for abuse of office charges, and this has to stop once and for all. This is a serious problem."

And indicting a politician, rather than fighting back through a ballot box, "is so un-American."

Not surprisingly, Perry is also letting it be known that liberals are not shying away from defending him in an effort to bolster his case (via Business Insider):

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R), nobody's idea of a liberal politician, wants everyone to know about the left-leaning observers who have rushed to his defense after he was indicted last Friday.

On "Fox News Sunday," Perry was asked whether he takes the indictment against him seriously. Perry insisted he did but quickly pointed to the arguments made by former Obama campaign strategist David Axelrod and Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz as a good reason for why the public should dismiss the allegations.

"I certainly take everything I do seriously — the rule of law in particular, I take seriously. Let me just share with you: David Axelrod said this was a very 'sketchy' indictment. Professor Dershowitz who is not exactly my cheerleader, said that it was outrageous," Perry said, according to video posted by Mediaite. "So I think across the board you're seeing people weigh in and reflecting that this is way outside of the norm."

Perry, meanwhile, staunchly defended the veto himself in a press conference last weekend:

“This indictment amounts to nothing more than abuse of power.” he said. "And I cannot and will not allow that to happen. I intend to fight against those who would erode our state’s constitution and laws purely for political purposes."

"And I intend to win," he added.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/danieldoherty/2014/08/18/lefty-law-professor-that-lawsuit-against-rick-perry-is-unamerican-n1879826

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 07:01:07 PM »
The long and short of it is that Perry wanted to strong-arm liberal District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg into resigning after her infamous and deeply embarrassing DUI arrest hit the papers. “Perry made it clear in public statements and through emissaries that he didn’t believe the state should fund an office headed by someone who had lost the public’s trust,” The Dallas Morning News reported.

Why did he single her out?   Or does Perry law off all govt employees that get DUIs.

And just the arrest, not the conviction?

Look, I'm all for punishing the shit out of drunk drivers - but let's punish them ALL, not just the ones that are local that you dislike.  Selective enforcement.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 07:15:31 PM »
Why did he single her out?   Or does Perry law off all govt employees that get DUIs.

And just the arrest, not the conviction?

Look, I'm all for punishing the shit out of drunk drivers - but let's punish them ALL, not just the ones that are local that you dislike.  Selective enforcement.

What??  He wasn't enforcing the law.   ::)  He was vetoing bills. 

Based on what I have heard and seen, I have no problem with him doing whatever he could to try and get that woman out of office.  I do not think this will end well for her. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 07:19:06 PM »
What??  He wasn't enforcing the law.   ::)  He was vetoing bills. 

Based on what I have heard and seen, I have no problem with him doing whatever he could to try and get that woman out of office.  I do not think this will end well for her. 

I would personally like to lock up any drunk driver for a year.  every time.  They disgust me.

But you can't just do it to one of them, that really upsets you.  You have to lock them ALL up or fire them ALL.

You cannot just fire those who happen to be your political adversaries. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 08:38:08 PM »
I would personally like to lock up any drunk driver for a year.  every time.  They disgust me.

But you can't just do it to one of them, that really upsets you.  You have to lock them ALL up or fire them ALL.

Good thing that isn't what happened.  What are you a Daily Kos contributor?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »

From what I've been able to gather thus far, this appears to have gone well beyond simply firing someone.
This appears to have been abuse of political power and the unethical undermining & compromise of an entity tasked with ensuring ethics. He's punishing an entire organization because of his beef with one individual. It doesn't sound very right to me. It looks like he did indeed exercise coercion, and abuse of his authority in making good on his threat. Is this any different from Christie Gate? Oh well, enjoy your distractions?
w

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 11:05:05 PM »
From what I've been able to gather thus far, this appears to have gone well beyond simply firing someone.
This appears to have been abuse of political power and the unethical undermining & compromise of an entity tasked with ensuring ethics. He's punishing an entire organization because of his beef with one individual. It doesn't sound very right to me. It looks like he did indeed exercise coercion, and abuse of his authority in making good on his threat. Is this any different from Christie Gate? Oh well, enjoy your distractions?

From what you gather it's the polar opposite from the facts. Surprise.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »
From what you gather it's the polar opposite from the facts. Surprise.

He/She/It hates facts.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 01:50:49 PM »
this case is 100% bullshit. Waste of time. Every damn politician in the US should be indicted

::)

Moving on....