Author Topic: Insuring mail?  (Read 1156 times)

Mclovin

• Getbig III
Insuring mail?
« on: August 15, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »
I don't send much stuff through the mail so this is probably a dumb question. But I have to mail someone two sets of football season tickets worth about $1500. What's the best way to insure this to avoid the risk of it getting lost in the mail?

Oh and this is bodybuilding related bc football players lift weights.

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
Re: Insuring mail?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
Insure it at the post office.  Only a few bucks extra as I recall

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
Insure it at the post office.  Only a few bucks extra as I recall
Exactly. Anyone that has done any business through the mail will tell you this.

Mclovin

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:59:18 PM »
Sweet. Thanks.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 03:26:20 AM »
Put the zip code at the very bottom of the address on a line by itself with the numeral font 3 times bigger than the rest of the address.  You should do this with all US Mail.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 06:50:29 AM »
Four options -

1) Envelope with Certified Mail tag and Insurance tag. The Certified Mail tag will make sure someone it is addressed to will have to sign for it.

2) Registered Mail with Insurance -  You'll have to seal everything up in front of the mail person, but your mail is kept locked up and has to be signed for every time it moves from point to point.

3) Express Mail Flat Rate with Insurance, it will be delivered in one day and will have to be signed for.

4) Priority Mail with Insurance - 1 -3 days in transit, insurance value will cause them to make it signature required.

Options 2 or 3 are the most secure, but may cost $30 - 40 to mail.

The insurance cost is about a buck per $100 of value.

the trainer

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 01:14:40 PM »
I don't send much stuff through the mail so this is probably a dumb question. But I have to mail someone two sets of football season tickets worth about $1500. What's the best way to insure this to avoid the risk of it getting lost in the mail?

Oh and this is bodybuilding related bc football players lift weights.

Are you still getting ripped off by bitches on skype.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 02:59:25 PM »
Four options -

1) Envelope with Certified Mail tag and Insurance tag. The Certified Mail tag will make sure someone it is addressed to will have to sign for it.

2) Registered Mail with Insurance -  You'll have to seal everything up in front of the mail person, but your mail is kept locked up and has to be signed for every time it moves from point to point.

3) Express Mail Flat Rate with Insurance, it will be delivered in one day and will have to be signed for.

4) Priority Mail with Insurance - 1 -3 days in transit, insurance value will cause them to make it signature required.

Options 2 or 3 are the most secure, but may cost $30 - 40 to mail.

The insurance cost is about a buck per $100 of value.

Except when weight is a factor... that will increase the cost.   I've shipped $5-10K of silver/gold through USPS.  I always sweat while it's in route, but it's always reached it's final destination without any issues.