Author Topic: RIP - Mike Matarazzo - Sad Day in Bodybuilding  (Read 88815 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: RIP - Mike Matarazzo - Sad Day in Bodybuilding
« Reply #150 on: August 17, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
Was always impressed by him and Pau Demayo from that era. Can't believe they are both gone. RIP to the original calfzilla.

Mr Incredible

• Getbig I
Re: Mike Matarazzo - how is he now
« Reply #151 on: August 17, 2014, 10:10:40 PM »
He died

Mr Incredible

• Getbig I
« Reply #152 on: August 17, 2014, 10:19:18 PM »
Thank god his freind was Mel Chancey

That clearly solved everything, or at least gave Chancy some hype for his precious facebook

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: August 17, 2014, 10:20:15 PM »

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: August 17, 2014, 10:23:12 PM »
Thank god his freind was Mel Chancey

That clearly solved everything, or at least gave Chancy some hype for his precious facebook

There are things, aren't there?

Aren't there things?

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2014, 01:07:33 AM »
RIP to an icon from the 90's

being overweight is tough on the heart, steroids or not

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2014, 02:45:55 AM »
Everyone liked him because he was genuine. He didn't bullshit about where he would place, he said the guys better than him were better, he didn't bullshit when he had problems.

Eating too much + staying too heavy + Stress on body from bodyweight and preparing for contests just builds up on some guys.

Europe

• Getbig IV
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2014, 03:15:04 AM »
any pics of him from 2012- up?? I already googled him but only find old pics..

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2014, 03:22:03 AM »
He said that he had low attached lats...thing was he wasn't "built" for bbing. Had big arms, but no split between his and tris, big calves, and that was it. Sticking one's tongue out and doing crab shots can't hide the fact that he was out classes.

He didn't realise that using so much gear would never correct all his flaws. Big arms, and very large but weird shapes calves, but that was about it.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2014, 03:30:19 AM »
i seen mike at afew shows back in the 90,s in jersey n he was cool,i took afew pics with him. i remember him guestposing at the jersey in the mid 90,s n he came out in the audiance n his arms where mindblowing,the audiance always loved mike
R

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2014, 03:31:17 AM »
Man, this is terrible news.  There truly was something special about Mike, and it wasn't even bodybuilding related.  Just seemed like a very genuine guy.  I was hoping to hear more from him after the interviews, but he lead a pretty quiet life after his health problems.  While this news isn't a surprise, his life could very well be a warning post for anyone still naive about the bodybuilding process at the professional level.  He went through it all, had no illusions and from his interviews seemed to have many regrets about his bodybuilding lifestyle.  

He just faded away until he passed away, and maybe that's fitting for a guy who was so brash and extroverted when he was stomping around the IFBB.  Truly a sad day.  RIP and my prayers to his family and friends.

:(

sadly nothing will help,young guys that jump into this lifestyle are too stupid and ignorant to let something like this sink into their brain

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2014, 03:37:29 AM »
He said that he had low attached lats...thing was he wasn't "built" for bbing. Had big arms, but no split between his and tris, big calves, and that was it. Sticking one's tongue out and doing crab shots can't hide the fact that he was out classes.

haha true true....but I've always said that nobody had a better Arms/Calves combination than Mike Matarazzo.

That really doesn't mean much when the whole physique comes into play to win a competition though.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2014, 03:44:15 AM »
sadly nothing will help,young guys that jump into this lifestyle are too stupid and ignorant to let something like this sink into their brain

u hit the nail on the head kreator,couldnt b a truer statement made than that. everyone thinks its always gonna happen to the next guy n sometimes me,u or whoever is that next guy. im not gonna lie,i do TRT n i know there is risks involved, but i try to eat as clean as possibe n minimize them risks n also my dosages r so low that im minimizing the risks that way also, but theres always a chance something can happen n thats alittle nerve racking at times
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2014, 03:52:04 AM »
mike was a good bodybuilder n made it to the olympia stage,how many people can say that? yeah he had his flaws but all n all he was a great bodybuilder imo, i met him afew times n he was a down to earth guy and got along with everybody at the show in jersey where he guest posed
R

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
  • Revenge is a dish best served ice cold
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2014, 03:52:46 AM »
he probably still has bigger biceps & calves than 99% of getbiggers
more like 99.98% and still being generous.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2014, 03:58:19 AM »
Ok, it seems that GH + slin isn't as innocent as regular steroids (most guys from the "golden era" are still going strong). I expect many more guys from the slin era dieing in comming 10 years or so...

U also gotta factor in the dosages too

Back then it was only steroids but they ran as much as they can for back then

Nowadays the dosages are much higher plus all sorts of exotics

Not to mention u have guys eating 10k calorie diets which no one did back then

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2014, 04:06:44 AM »
i remember at a jersey show one yr a guy said to mike that he must be on some good quality juice to b that big, mike said (bro,if all it was was taking tons of juice how come most of these guys here in the audiance dont look like me n they r prolly on steroids also? he said lets b real, if i tested every dude that walked thru these doors tonight for steroids id say a very high amount would come up dirty, so why aint they in the olympia or up here guest posing instead of me. dude scratched his head n walked away,mike said hard work,genetics and lifestyle is just as important 
R

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2014, 04:12:05 AM »
i remember at a jersey show one yr a guy said to mike that he must be on some good quality juice to b that big, mike said (bro,if all it was was taking tons of juice how come most of these guys here in the audiance dont look like me n they r prolly on steroids also? he said lets b real, if i tested every dude that walked thru these doors tonight for steroids id say a very high amount would come up dirty, so why aint they in the olympia or up here guest posing instead of me. dude scratched his head n walked away,mike said hard work,genetics and lifestyle is just as important 

U can say gym rat dosages is a lot different than nationals/pro level usage

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #169 on: August 18, 2014, 04:17:25 AM »
U also gotta factor in the dosages too

Back then it was only steroids but they ran as much as they can for back then

Nowadays the dosages are much higher plus all sorts of exotics

Not to mention u have guys eating 10k calorie diets which no one did back then

very true, i remember bill grant telling me what they did back in the pumping iron era n i was like (no way)he said they used steroids 3 months out before a show to maintain a positive nitrogen balance n to fight off catabolism while they where cutting calories n dieting down, no matter how u slice weight loss,even at 2lbs a week is still putting your body in a catabolic state. bill said back then they tried not to put on much weight in off season,this way they didnt have to go crazy dieting down n doing all them chemicals like cytomel/clen ect to lose the weight. bill said since there wasnt that much MONEY in bodybuilding to b made they tried to stay looking pretty hard cause they never knew when weider would call for a photo shoot,weider would throw them some coin for that.bill said that no one,and i mean NO ONE EVER used the type of DOSAGES the guys from today n even the 90,s use,bill said the dosage game started going up really heavy in the earlier to mid 80,s when the prize money got larger
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2014, 04:36:38 AM »
U can say gym rat dosages is a lot different than nationals/pro level usage

i always used to think that but to b honest id see guys that werent even competing back in my old gym in jersey using dosages that where insane,to me they where anyway. i seen a guy inject 15 amps of sustanon in the locker room,he did 7 amps in one thigh n the other 8 in the other. then went thru (5)five 10cc bottles of propianate after that,used his delts,buttocks and triceps,WTF. they just wanted to look good for the clubs n beach,n ive seen more than that one guy  using them dosages,imsorry i shouldnt have said seen on the other guys but id hear them talking at the juice bar n i was like,HOLY SHIT,to myself ofcoarse. right now i use 1 amp of sust every 10 to 14 days for my TRT, im waiting for my CYP to get here than im switching to that cause my doc told me its better for TRT, i had alittle deca laying around n i was using that to but mostly for my joints,im 49 yrs old n my old joint been hurting bad,really bad. i get my bloodwork done every 6 months n have my prostate checked every 6 months also,i believe side effects r DOSE related,i believe its like anything else,drink a beer with dinner n im pretty sure u will have no liver problems later in life,drink some jack daniels or a case of beer every night n theres a good chance u  might have some problems later in life, take 1 pain pill at night(percocet) n u aint gonna have no problems down the line,take 12-15 every day n see what happens to your internals,also u will b an addict. be smart n respect the stuff n it will treat u OK for the most part i believe,ANYTHING can happen tho so who knows, we try to live life the best we can while minimizing the risks,but life is a risk,just getting up everymorning n getting in the car n driving is a risk when it comes down to it
R

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #171 on: August 18, 2014, 07:27:32 AM »
Mike was worth the price of admission to see him pose. Put on a show, made Bodybuilding fun and entertaining. RIP.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2014, 07:56:14 AM »
RIP Big Mike

biff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »
Everyone liked him because he was genuine. He didn't bullshit about where he would place, he said the guys better than him were better, he didn't bullshit when he had problems.

Eating too much + staying too heavy + Stress on body from bodyweight and preparing for contests just builds up on some guys.
i remember an article about the guy many years ago, they followed him around for a day. author commented on how he worked out no where near the 'strict form' that was always purported by the mags to be needed. ' i do what i need to feel the muscle' was mikes answer. how he talked about eating pounds of pasta and bread while trying to mass up, again a far cry from the chicken and brown rice the mags pontificated about.  an 'everyman' bb, if there ever was one.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #174 on: August 18, 2014, 09:32:21 AM »
RIP.

Mike was one of the coolest and nicest bodybuilders. Always took time to talk to you.  At some Muscle Camps Shawn Ray set up, and I was taking pics, Mike was gracious, happy and truly enjoyed talking to fans and people who trained about everything.  

Here is an interview and notes with Mike I did on December 21, 2004.  Once again, great guy.  

http://www.getbig.com/iview/matarazzo041221.htm

well put Ronald.