Author Topic: RIP - Mike Matarazzo - Sad Day in Bodybuilding  (Read 88796 times)

Alpine

• Getbig III
  • That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
Re: RIP - Mike Matarazzo - Sad Day in Bodybuilding
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2014, 09:35:09 AM »
Heart disease is referenced but you don't normally die from heart disease that young unless its a specific heart defect itself.

Heart disease describes a range of conditions that affect your heart. Diseases under the heart disease umbrella include blood vessel diseases, such as coronary artery disease; heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias); and heart defects you're born with (congenital heart defects), among others.

The term "heart disease" is often used interchangeably with the term "cardiovascular disease." Cardiovascular disease generally refers to conditions that involve narrowed or blocked blood vessels that can lead to a heart attack, chest pain (angina) or stroke. Other heart conditions, such as those that affect your heart's muscle, valves or rhythm, also are considered forms of heart disease.

So my question is did he have "cardiovascular disease" from horrible long-term lipid profile (bad cholesterol) from all the red meat and AAS or did he have an enlarged heart (cardiomegaly) from the synergy of the AAS/GH which makes hearts grow along with the prolonged high blood pressure. It seems to me the enlarged heart would cause heart failure and the need for a pace maker and/or transplant much quicker than just cardiovascular disease (which wouldnt kill you so fast). He had to have something causing his heart NOT to pump correctly for this to end his life so young. I wish we knew more out the precise diagnosis he had. Anyone?

Wiki
He was forced to retire due to having open heart surgery on December 8, 2004 as a result of clogged arteries. At the time of his death he was residing in Modesto, California,[2] and was last reported to be working as a bail bondsman for AJ's Bail Bonds.[3] He was forced to stop working as a bail bondsman due to limitations on physical activity related to his 20% heart function.[4] On November 8, 2007, Matarazzo suffered a heart attack, his second cardiac-related problem since his surgery in December 2004.[5] On August 3rd, 2014, Matarazzo was in the intensive care unit of Stanford hospital in Palo Alto due to heart complications. The information was transmitted by his wife, Lacey Matarazzo (nee Porter), via longtime friend Mel Chancey's Facebook page, and reposted on various bodybuilding websites.[6][7] On August 17, 2014, Mel Chancey, a longtime family friend, announced via Facebook that Matarazzo had died in the ICU at Sanford hospital while awaiting a heart transplant. The information was confirmed by Peter McGough, editor at Muscular Development magazine[8][9].

It honestly sounds like he may have had advanced cardiovascular disease (blockage) along with enlarged heart and reduced ejection fraction by the reference that his heart was only 20% functional. So essentially, he probably had it ALL due to the diet and AAS/GH. Id still like to know more about his precise diagnosis.

Bodybuilder Lex Reeves

« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2014, 10:21:24 AM »
Heart disease is referenced but you don't normally die from heart disease that young unless its a specific heart defect itself.

Heart disease describes a range of conditions that affect your heart. Diseases under the heart disease umbrella include blood vessel diseases, such as coronary artery disease; heart rhythm problems (arrhythmias); and heart defects you're born with (congenital heart defects), among others.

The term "heart disease" is often used interchangeably with the term "cardiovascular disease." Cardiovascular disease generally refers to conditions that involve narrowed or blocked blood vessels that can lead to a heart attack, chest pain (angina) or stroke. Other heart conditions, such as those that affect your heart's muscle, valves or rhythm, also are considered forms of heart disease.

So my question is did he have "cardiovascular disease" from horrible long-term lipid profile (bad cholesterol) from all the red meat and AAS or did he have an enlarged heart (cardiomegaly) from the synergy of the AAS/GH which makes hearts grow along with the prolonged high blood pressure. It seems to me the enlarged heart would cause heart failure and the need for a pace maker and/or transplant much quicker than just cardiovascular disease (which wouldnt kill you so fast). He had to have something causing his heart NOT to pump correctly for this to end his life so young. I wish we knew more out the precise diagnosis he had. Anyone?

Wiki
It honestly sounds like he may have had advanced cardiovascular disease (blockage) along with enlarged heart and reduced ejection fraction by the reference that his heart was only 20% functional. So essentially, he probably had it ALL due to the diet and AAS/GH. Id still like to know more about his precise diagnosis.
Diagnosis: Anabolic Steroids

Case closed

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »

Case closed
People are just showing respect.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2014, 10:36:35 AM »

Case closed

Yeah, let's treat all AAS the same. Man, you're clueless.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: MIKE MATTARRAZO PASSED AWAY
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2014, 10:41:27 AM »
I fixed it.

Mike Matarazzo
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Michael Richard Matarazzo (born November 8, 1966, died for us bitches 17th August 2014) is a former American IFBB professional bodybuilder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Matarazzo
like what this idiot did. young boys with no respect.

Alpine

• Getbig III
  • That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2014, 10:57:48 AM »

I dont think its disrespectful to identify what killed him. He obviously made choices that shortened his life. Many of us have made these choices and I think people can learn from his story and perhaps avoid going down the same road. I did not intend my inquiry into his precise diagnosis to  be disrespectful.  He said himself it was the diet and lifestyle. I also do not think his family would be upset if one young bodybuilder changed his ways due to learning of Mike's cause of death and associated risk factors.  

We know it was AAS related. I'm just curious if it was primarily heart failure due to cardiomyopathy (enlarged, ridged heart muscle) that killed him or something else. Namely a specific genetic abnormality or defect worsened by the use of AAS. I don't think he died suddenly from mere cardiovascular disease and/or blockage.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »

Much Respect RIP
X

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »
i remember when i started training and saw that weider tape where he was in a grocery store, fuck he was wide, two Heaths at least

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
Re: MATTARRAZO PASSED AWAY
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2014, 02:40:17 PM »
i hear u but its hard not to keep taking huge amount of drugs when u r a pro trying to make money off the sport, its hard to tell a guy whos 20 that he may have health problems when hes 50,they aint thinking that far ahead,then bam,your 50 n u say oh shit when the doc says u have organ trouble

Good point.....but, to what point do we blame those bodybuilders or the culture of this sport.....I love bodybuilding, but it's sad when these guys are dropping dead with so much life to live.......we Hope Ronnie coleman and Jay Cutler have a long life ahead of the....We Hope So.....I remember way back 10yrs ago, at the Arnold, there was a group outside the Veterans memorial building where the men's final was held, they were holding signs that says: Say no to Drugs.....I think that was hilarious...lol

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2014, 03:11:29 PM »
GB is a clear indicator that bodybuilding is a devil cult.

Some characteristics of GB that prove this are:

Narcissism
Gluttony
Pride
Lust
Selfishness
Greed
Psychoticism
Self-harm (via drugs)
Low self-esteem due to lack of a spiritual soul
Inhibited personalities

all very true
all BB's /gym junkies- same characteristics

insecure narcissists addicted to steroids and whats worse these days is that are claiming natural
BB is a mental illness - a form of body dysmorphism- and some will go to more extreme lengths than others

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »
high doses steroids for years will lower your HDL cholesterol, raise your LDL cholesterol, start to clog your arteries
that along with high blood pressure
why do you think Mike had triple bypass surgery @ 39 years old?

many of theese  guys are also prob diabetics casued by xs GH use and too much exogenous insulin so their own pancreas shuts down

diabetes is another risk factor for heart attacks

dont tell me its "genetic"

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2014, 04:29:36 PM »
all very true
all BB's /gym junkies- same characteristics

insecure narcissists addicted to steroids and whats worse these days is that are claiming natural
BB is a mental illness - a form of body dysmorphism- and some will go to more extreme lengths than others

Well put

U should read the comments off flex online , all these nobody "bbers" defending their steroid use ::)

I'm not against steroid use but in this "sport" it's abuse to get yourself looking the way u do, it's not moderate, it's not low dosages....

No matter how u put it injecting yourself with copious amounts of drugs day in and day out will get you health problems, maybe not when u are young but the grim reaper will come to collect

Some people need to stop comparing the 70's usage to modern day everything goes GH/slin/diuretics/igf....

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2014, 05:51:57 PM »

Wiki
u

In summary
cholesterol elevation due to PED's plus diet, red meat etc... Will lead to CAD which will cause an MI, heart attack.
An MI causes cardiac muscle death, big heart attack kills due to massive muscle death, small MI, may not even cause tissue damage but can be detected via blood tests that are enzyme specific
He had CABG, coronary artery bypass grafting, years ago due to CAD
He likely died due to that perhaps because those grafts failed and he hasn't many collaterals to feed his heart
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is one of several cardiomyopathies and he no doubt had that as well due to heavy weight training, intense breathing/holding breath, such as squatting etc...
All in all he died due to heart failure, sad, not uncommon, just a very popular BB so more people notice
Perhaps this will be of some help to our BB community to monitor health and well being closer.

Not quite a nut shell, sorry ;)

Eric2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
Too bad Mike is gone. He was fun to watch lift weights, guy was a bull and moved weight in the gym like a hydraulic machine. His was a personality unlike many pros today, Mike could have been a decent back up character actor if he slimmed down I always thought. It's a shame but an eye opener for those who think they are not prone to the dangers of steroids. Mike's death was a direct result from the bodybuilding lifestyle hands down.
h

nder98

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Getlaid!
« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2014, 06:34:46 PM »
Mike was one of my fav BBs in the 90s as well as Levrone, Yates, etc..You will never see the same symmetry and structure of these guys in the 90s again.. RIP 90s BB....

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2014, 06:52:26 AM »
RIP  :-[ :'(

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2014, 06:55:01 AM »
Seemed like a nice guy from all I have read about him. We can speculate anything concerning his health and the reasons.  Did bodybuilding drugs contribute. Of course they did. I hope his family finds peace.

Sometimes I think about all the insecure young men who flock to this "sport" and think about the sad path they will go down to be seen as a man. When you weigh 180 and go to 230 in three months it can't be good for your heart. It's extra weight no matter if it's fat or muscle. The heart muscle is working that much harder. Steroids increase blood pressure, often changes the ratio's of cholesterol lipids. One heart doctor addressing on tv the massive law suits filed against testosterone replacement drug manufactures. He speculated the statistical increase in heart attack and strokes with HRT that it could be thickening your blood.

These pro bodybuilders take anabolic steroids, straight testosterone, anti estrogen, growth hormone, insulin, amphetamines, thyroid, LH hormone, EPO, diuretics, and who knows what else. Unfortunately this sport is based on drug use. No drug equals no shows.

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2014, 09:09:52 AM »

the thing i liked about mike was his attitude towards bbing.

he knew he never was going to be mr. olympia, but he still trained as hard as he could and had fun with it.  the fans could see his passion as well and that's why he was 1 of the most popular bbers.

mike was one of the few guys in the 90's who did the high fat diet.

i remember reading about his diet - all the meat and he would also say he would eat like 2 jars a day of peanut butter

i wonder if his diet were different would he still have wound up the heart troubles...was it more diet, drugs?  i think it was a combo of both plus his genetics.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2014, 09:17:21 AM »

respect for the dead surly calls for an awareness of how they got in to that situation
c

chimera

• Getbig II
Mike Matarazzo - Tribute To him
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2014, 09:23:46 AM »

Originally Posted on Iron Affinity

"Sometime early this morning another member of our dear and close-knit subculture ascended onward to Iron Valhalla, at the young age of 48 years old. One of the awe-inspiring behemoths from the 1990’s, Mike Matarazzo spent his final moments waiting for a heart transplant at Stanford University according to Muscular Development’s Peter McGough. Another well-respected bodybuilding writer: John Romano penned a very insightful piece a few years back titled: ‘The Curse of the 90’s’, documenting the health problems/deaths seeming to plague this particular era in competitive bodybuilding. Remembering correctly, Matarazzo, even at that time, was mentioned in the article for his heart-attacks and ever-diminishing cardiovascular health. The general consensus of the article was that the 90’s brought a whole new era of freaky physiques, but also untold health problems and suffering at unheard of percentages. Most rational people would make this connection without much hesitation. Hopefully a serious discussion starts taking place on how we can preserve our health and longevity (even simply career wise) in a professional industry that is one of the most taxing and detrimental on the human body. The IFBB offers paltry contest winnings and no health insurance policy for the men and women engaging in what could be termed a ‘most dangerous game’. I believe that top level entertainers and retired professionals deserve much more; Mike deserved much more.

Over the next few weeks the message boards will be on fire with speculation in regards to Mike’s death, his drug usage, etc. I’m sure the topic will be thoroughly hashed, re-hashed, and then everyone will agree that we still don’t know anything at all. It is to be noted that Matarazzo himself associated all of his heart problems with competitive bodybuilding (Note—I didn’t just say ‘steroid use’). Under this umbrella he included the over-consumption of red-meat daily (apparently 6-7lbs at times), Anabolic Steroid use, HGH use and diuretic use. Mike was known as a very earnest and hard-working person, a name in the industry I haven’t heard a whisper of negativity; when in general so much gossip encompasses our little village of a subculture. He was not only an exemplary bodybuilder, but an exemplary man as well, touching the lives of friends, fans and the loving wife he left behind.

Like many accomplished bodybuilders, Mike didn’t start his journey in the weight room. Hailing from Boston, he was a very accomplished amateur boxer before eventually being bitten by the ‘iron bug’. Thankfully, Mike pursued bodybuilding instead of the sweet science, fans becoming the true winners later by witnessing his insanely thick 23” arms and impossibly large calves. He was an incredible professional bodybuilder in possibly the hardest competitive era in history. It seems at times the 90’s were even more incredible (at least genetic wise) than anything currently around now. The competitors (Wheeler, Demayo, Prince, Coleman, Yates, Levrone, Cormier, Hernon, etc.) looked like they were simply born to train heavy, eat protein, juice up and become muscle behemoths. Mike Matarazzo was equally as gifted as any of them and proudly displayed ungodly levels of striated, dense lean muscle.
"

I recall seeing absolutely freaky pictures of Mike Matarazzo in older bodybuilding magazines that my brother had lying around. This was the era of neon spandex, work boots (or otomix), racer-back tank tops and mass-monsters. I recall a particular stand out shot of Mike Matarazzo on a standing calf machine, as his 22” cows displayed a nasty dense gastrocnemius muscle and equally impressive soleus. This really set him apart in competitive bodybuilding; with good calves appearing to be as rare as a wolf sighting in Long Beach. We are unlikely to see another Matarazzo anytime soon, with that certain combination of genetics, shape, structure and work-ethic. Let’s take the following days and weeks to reflect on and celebrate the man’s life, accomplishments and bodybuilding accolades. Let’s start taking care of the guys we have now too, whether retired or currently competing. None of us want to keep reading obituaries of our physique super-stars perishing far before their time. The reality is that it could happen to any of us. We can all safely step outside our comfortable boxes of delusion for just a few moments and admit our own mortality.

RIP Mike

-Danny Manslaughter: http://www.ironaffinity.com/passing-mike-matarazzo/

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: "Tribute To Mike Matarazzo"
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2014, 09:45:14 AM »
 8)...VERY NICE TOUCH..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2014, 10:19:17 AM »
respect for the dead surly calls for an awareness of how they got in to that situation

Who is this girl "surly" that calls for awareness? It's actually spelled Shirley.

There is also speculation and conjecture that inflammation plays a bit role in attacks. There are a big number of people with clogged arteries that have low cholesterol numbers so that isn't the holy grail of prediction.

DanielPaul

• Getbig IV
Re: Mike Matarazzo - Tribute To him
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »
Any recent pic of him

Mazda323

• Getbig III
  • Guardian Angel
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
Nice. Well done!!!

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2014, 11:26:15 AM »
Mike was amazing!!

his calves, arms, and shoulder width were unsurpassed. 

the first pic I ever saw of him was on the cover of Muscle Mag Int.   his shoulders were ridiculous.