Author Topic: James Foley, Missing American Photojournalist, Executed By ISIS  (Read 33056 times)

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
Re: James Foley, Missing American Photojournalist, Executed By ISIS
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2014, 07:17:52 PM »
the americans go around the world poking their noses is business that is absolutely no concern of theirs, piss off some very angry people who have lived thru millenniums of violence, and then everyone is crying when somebody gets their head lopped off.

'blast that sandbox off the map'? how about stay the fuck out of places like that and mind your own fucking business?

as a nation the USA has a sense of entitlement that they feel allows them to globe trot and do as they please, to whoever they please. dont cry when it comes back to bite you in the ass. cause it will. and hard.

You're right. The West should stop meddling in Middle Eastern affairs and just hope that when all those oil and gas reserves fall into Caliphate/psychotic dictator hands, the world isn't held hostage.

And then the ills of the world will cease once we end our interventionist stance, since they're all our fault to begin with: peace will reign supreme, the Middle East will no longer be a cauldron of barbaric violence, everyone's farts will smell like cinnamon buns, shizzo will stop posting, etc.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
re·but·tal  (r-btl)
n.
1. The act of rebutting.
2. A statement made in rebutting.

Sorry to be a dick but it can't  :D

9/11 was not out of nowhere though, it was just unforeseen. USA was soft on internal flights and now rest of world is suffering everytime they take a flight.

no need to thank me

rebuttal, the verb
Heard from a guy in the restaurant Gordon Biersch on 3/24/12:

Then I rebuttaled with …

This is the verbing rebuttal, instead of the verb rebut. The question is, how/why did it arise?

First observation: there are a respectable number of occurrences of the verb (though it isn’t in the OED or other standard dictionaries). A few examples with rebuttaled apparently quite close in meaning to rebutted:

Former New York Times developer who worked there for seven years, Michael Donohoe, rebuttaled the assumptions in Rutledge’s redesign through a post on Hacker News. (link)

These are questions addressed by psychological egoism, the view that humans are always motivated by self-interest. Arguments in support of this view are powerful and not easily rebuttaled. (link)

You are dishonest, Cmike, and you have lost this debate. You have been repeatedly and convincingly rebuttaled with current, object, honest evidence that completely gutted whatever you posted. (link)

No doubt most of the occurrences of this type came from people who simply picked up the usage from others. And the innovators? Quite likely they were much more familiar with the noun rebuttal ‘refutation’ than with the verb rebut and created a verb on the basis of the noun, carrying over the semantics of the noun.

Second observation: there are a fair number of instances of rebuttaled that look less specific than rebutted, for instance:

… stop obsessing over things. You stated your opinion, perhaps someone disagreed, you rebuttaled, end of discussion. (link)

Hey, I rebuttaled to your post, please take a look! (link)

This  morning she told me it was one of the best concerts she has ever been to, to which I rebuttaled “Coldplay are the most boring band on earth who exsist soley to keep boring nerdy univesity students company” (link)

Here, rebuttaled seems to convey something like ‘replied negatively, disagreed’ — and in fact some of these uses have the syntax of replied (notably, “I rebuttaled to your post”) rather than that of rebutted. Where could that come from?

Well, the noun rebuttal has extended its meaning from a core meaning closely tied to the verb rebut — ‘a refutation, a counter-argument or contradiction’ (OED3, June 2009) — to uses close to the noun reply, but with negative affect. Meanwhile, the verb rebut has stuck closer to ‘refute, disprove’, with the result that even if you know and sometimes use rebut, you might find the need for a verb that carries over the looser sense of the noun rebuttal — something like ‘provide a rebuttal, that is, a negative reply, to’ — and for this a verbing of the noun rebuttal will fill the bill.

So you can come to the verb rebuttal for semantic reasons.

b

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2014, 07:24:34 PM »
Why don't we just send our _____s over there.  Problem solved.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »

no need to thank me

rebuttal, the verb
Heard from a guy in the restaurant Gordon Biersch on 3/24/12:

Then I rebuttaled with …

This is the verbing rebuttal, instead of the verb rebut. The question is, how/why did it arise?

First observation: there are a respectable number of occurrences of the verb (though it isn’t in the OED or other standard dictionaries). A few examples with rebuttaled apparently quite close in meaning to rebutted:

Former New York Times developer who worked there for seven years, Michael Donohoe, rebuttaled the assumptions in Rutledge’s redesign through a post on Hacker News. (link)

These are questions addressed by psychological egoism, the view that humans are always motivated by self-interest. Arguments in support of this view are powerful and not easily rebuttaled. (link)

You are dishonest, Cmike, and you have lost this debate. You have been repeatedly and convincingly rebuttaled with current, object, honest evidence that completely gutted whatever you posted. (link)

No doubt most of the occurrences of this type came from people who simply picked up the usage from others. And the innovators? Quite likely they were much more familiar with the noun rebuttal ‘refutation’ than with the verb rebut and created a verb on the basis of the noun, carrying over the semantics of the noun.

Second observation: there are a fair number of instances of rebuttaled that look less specific than rebutted, for instance:

… stop obsessing over things. You stated your opinion, perhaps someone disagreed, you rebuttaled, end of discussion. (link)

Hey, I rebuttaled to your post, please take a look! (link)

This  morning she told me it was one of the best concerts she has ever been to, to which I rebuttaled “Coldplay are the most boring band on earth who exsist soley to keep boring nerdy univesity students company” (link)

Here, rebuttaled seems to convey something like ‘replied negatively, disagreed’ — and in fact some of these uses have the syntax of replied (notably, “I rebuttaled to your post”) rather than that of rebutted. Where could that come from?

Well, the noun rebuttal has extended its meaning from a core meaning closely tied to the verb rebut — ‘a refutation, a counter-argument or contradiction’ (OED3, June 2009) — to uses close to the noun reply, but with negative affect. Meanwhile, the verb rebut has stuck closer to ‘refute, disprove’, with the result that even if you know and sometimes use rebut, you might find the need for a verb that carries over the looser sense of the noun rebuttal — something like ‘provide a rebuttal, that is, a negative reply, to’ — and for this a verbing of the noun rebuttal will fill the bill.

So you can come to the verb rebuttal for semantic reasons.

I will rebuttal you when I find a similarly incorrect article.

Hint: It isn't a verb, let it go.

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
You're right. The West should stop meddling in Middle Eastern affairs and just hope that when all those oil and gas reserves fall into Caliphate/psychotic dictator hands, the world isn't held hostage.

And then the ills of the world will cease once we end our interventionist stance, since they're all our fault to begin with: peace will reign supreme, the Middle East will no longer be a cauldron of barbaric violence, everyone's farts will smell like cinnamon buns, shizzo will stop posting, etc.

hey smart guy if you took the time to read the posts you'd see that I stated they have been fighting amongst eachother for thousands of years. nothing will ever change that. that's what they do. it was going on 5000 years before you even had a constitution.

the only difference is if you would have minded your own business you wouldnt have to worry about it being you they were fighting with. if anything your atrocious behaviour globally has cause enemies to unite in a common cause of hating America.

well done, stupid.
b

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
I will rebuttal you when I find a similarly incorrect article.

Hint: It isn't a verb, let it go.

tell you what bro. don't let it ruin your night. it's ok to be wrong sometimes. 
b

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2014, 07:28:06 PM »
tell you what bro. don't let it ruin your night. it's ok to be wrong sometimes. 

Good to see you've forgiven yourself. Off to bed goodnight.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »
ISIS is the Frankenstein monster armed and supported by the United States, first sent into Syria in a proxy war to try topple Assad.  Their incursion into Iraq will likely be used as a slight of hand to have an excuse bomb Syria.  Never mind that they sent them in there in the first place.  

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »

hey smart guy if you took the time to read the posts you'd see that I stated they have been fighting amongst eachother for thousands of years. nothing will ever change that. that's what they do. it was going on 5000 years before you even had a constitution.

the only difference is if you would have minded your own business you wouldnt have to worry about it being you they were fighting with. if anything your atrocious behaviour globally has cause enemies to unite in a common cause of hating America.

well done, stupid.
Only self hating Libtards hate America, the Muslim scourge has only strengthened the nationalism of Westerners to those loyal to their Country,  which will only result in far more Muslim casualties.  Well done, stupid.
V

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
Only self hating Libtards hate America, the Muslim scourge has only strengthened the nationalism of those loyal to their Country. well done, stupid.

hahaha the 'muslim scourge' has only strengthened the nationalism of a bunch of uneducated hillbillies who watch duck dynasty, stupid.

i dont hate america. i feel sorry for you. broke as a joke, hated by the rest of the world, and living in a police state. good job, sparky.

people like you are the reason your country is spiraling down the drain. ignorant, and blinded by patriotism. meanwhile your govt continues to make enemies globally, and takes away your rights and freedoms under the guise of 'protecting you'.

like i said. fuck you are DUMB.

carry on, dummy.
b

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »
hahaha the 'muslim scourge' has only strengthened the nationalism of a bunch of uneducated hillbillies who watch duck dynasty, stupid.

i dont hate america. i feel sorry for you. broke as a joke, hated by the rest of the world, and living in a police state. good job, sparky.

people like you are the reason your country is spiraling down the drain. ignorant, and blinded by patriotism. meanwhile your govt continues to make enemies globally, and takes away your rights and freedoms under the guise of 'protecting you'.

carry on, dummy.

Nobody said the West was perfect, but I sure beats living under a sick twisted Caliphate run by deluded maniacs.  I hope you don't live in a democracy, because it is wasted on the likes of you.
V

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2014, 07:54:02 PM »

carry on, dummy.

Honestly you surprise me with your endless insults toward Americans and America. I won't respond to your rhetoric even with many of your insults directed at a me, a vet that loves his country and has experienced tremendous success as a first generation American.  With 313M Americans I would ask that you don't lump us all together.

Oh and with all your vitriol it sure sounds like you hate America and Americans.

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »

the only difference is if you would have minded your own business you would have to sorry about it being you they were fighting with. if anything your atrocious behaviour globally has cause enemies to unite in a common cause of hating America.

well done, stupid.

What's so strange about the West working to secure the most important geostrategic assets on the planet? Should we just leave them to the locals and hope that their behavior is conducive to the interests of the global economy? Does their behavior these last 5000+ years (as you say) suggest that this is likely?

It seems that ensuring the proper function of the global economy -- and that is what all those oil/gas reserves provide -- is worth making enemies with Caliphate types. What's the alternative?

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2014, 07:57:32 PM »
^ this.  fucking obliterate this shit once and for all. 

Absolutely correct. Marcinko explains the domino theory very plainly for civilians. There is only one chance for survival and it's the total annihilation of the Arab world. There must be complete ethnic cleansing - as leaving one alive is like leaving one weed in the garden - it will certainly grow and in time be worse than before.
We do not have the stomach for it unfortunately. It's horrible to see men dead - and even tougher to see "innocents" but we must look for the greater good. Through the scope never see a "human" - to do so is to hesitate and in the moment of reckoning hesitation is failure. It's the same on the large scale. Remove religion - has no place here. What we have is a culture that is no longer able to function in the world. Before technology made the world so small - it was easy to say "hey it's not in my backyard so it's none of my business" but no more. Isolationists are WRONG. If a man is pathetic and too weak to fight - kill - and possibly die for his country then fine. Just don't try to weaken others with ignorant arguments. I will correct the weak on here and even come across cruel - but I would fight for their right to choose to be weak.
Time for the rack PT early in the morn -

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2014, 07:58:59 PM »
Nobody said the West was perfect, but I sure beats living under a sick twisted Caliphate run by deluded maniacs.  I hope you don't live in a democracy, because it is wasted on the likes of you.

im Canadian. and proud to be. the best nation in the world.

you see, we have a standard of living better than you. less national debt. less crime. more natural resources. and we manage our natural resources, unlike you who just use them up with no thought to tomorrow, but then nobody has ever accused you of being smart have they?

on top of that, we arent hated like you. when we go into a county we are there to better those people, unlike you who go to plunder and strip them of their natural resources. then you wonder when your hated. lol no wonder. fuck are you surprised?

now you want 'more war'. big surprise there.

i wonder when americans as a whole are going to get fed up with it. probably never since the typical american has greater worries like whos going to advance on 'americas got talent' and wondering what they are going to order in for food tonite. a nation of fat, lazy stupid cattle all being led down the line to slaughter and not one of you smart enough to see it.

b

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2014, 08:00:39 PM »
What's so strange about the West working to secure the most important geostrategic assets on the planet? Should we just leave them to the locals and hope that their behavior is conducive to the interests of the global economy? Does their behavior these last 5000+ years (as you say) suggest that this is likely?

It seems that ensuring the proper function of the global economy -- and that is what all those oil/gas reserves provide -- is worth making enemies with Caliphate types. What's the alternative?

You're the expert, syntax. Any thoughts on the "verb" rebuttal?

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2014, 08:04:29 PM »
Honestly you surprise me with your endless insults toward Americans and America. I won't respond to your rhetoric even with many of your insults directed at a me, a vet that loves his country and has experienced tremendous success as a first generation American.  With 313M Americans I would ask that you don't lump us all together.

Oh and with all your vitriol it sure sounds like you hate America and Americans.

you want me to apologise for telling you the truth? you dont think the rest of the world sees it like this? the only people who dont are you.

b

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: August 19, 2014, 08:10:32 PM »
you want me to apologise for telling you the truth? you dont think the rest of the world sees it like this? the only people who dont are you.

No, the rest of the world doesn't agree with your Libtard Terrorist sympathising ways.  Your constant use of logical fallacies belies you extreme bias, naivety and prejudice.  If this thread was anything to go by, you are obviously outnumbered and the only one supporting Islamic terrorism.
V

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »
No, the rest of the world doesn't agree with your Libtard Terrorist sympathising ways.  Your constant use of logical fallacies belies you extreme bias, naivety and prejudice.  If this thread was anything to go by, you are obviously outnumbered and the only one supporting Islamic terrorism.

You're an Aussie, right? Why's he think you're American?

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2014, 08:16:31 PM »
im Canadian. and proud to be. the best nation in the world.

you see, we have a standard of living better than you. less national debt. less crime. more natural resources. and we manage our natural resources, unlike you who just use them up with no thought to tomorrow, but then nobody has ever accused you of being smart have they?

on top of that, we arent hated like you. when we go into a county we are there to better those people, unlike you who go to plunder and strip them of their natural resources. then you wonder when your hated. lol no wonder. fuck are you surprised?

now you want 'more war'. big surprise there.

i wonder when americans as a whole are going to get fed up with it. probably never since the typical american has greater worries like whos going to advance on 'americas got talent' and wondering what they are going to order in for food tonite. a nation of fat, lazy stupid cattle all being led down the line to slaughter and not one of you smart enough to see it.

Well, I'm Australian, ranked second on the 'Where-to-be-born Index" (previously called the quality-of-life index), whereas Canada rates 9th.  It now comes as no surprise that you are a libtard as you are surrounded by a bunch of naive do-gooders who constantly force feed you their left wing extremism.  The power of the propaganda you have been fed will ensure you remain unaware of the ridiculous ideologies you support and that you are in fact a supporter of the very EVIL you claim to rally against.  Such is the life of a libtard.
V

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2014, 08:16:44 PM »
watched the james foloey execution video in full on live leaks now

it doesn't show the whole thing.

this one is actually VERY mild compared to the shit ISIS has been releasing

but here is my point; here is what i know,and  i have a serious opinion on these ISIS extremist type of death videos

I feel we SHOULD watch them

to realize what kind of fucking scum we have out there

to get a literal grip on what is TRULY going on.

because it is not easy to watch

but man you come off a hell of a lot more humble and knowledgable

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »

you think i give a fuck about being 'outnumbered'? im not a bitch like you who needs to have people agree with me.

fuck you love to cry 'terrorism'.

meanwhile you own nation has been guilty of it for decades.

start with the genocide of native peoples and branch out into global terrorism.

then cry when someone gets tired of your bullshit and lops the head of some american somewhere he shouldnt have been because his country is so hated.

well done, speedbag.

b

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »
You're an Aussie, right? Why's he think you're American?
He thinks only Americans support America.
V

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »
He thinks only Americans support America.

I was under the impression you hated us, too. Or is it you just hate guns?

no one

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2014, 08:21:19 PM »
Well, I'm Australian, ranked second on the 'Where-to-be-born Index" (previously called the quality-of-life index), whereas Canada rates 9th.  It now comes as no surprise that you are a libtard as you are surrounded by a bunch of naive do-gooders who constantly force feed you their left wing extremism.  The power of the propaganda you have been fed will ensure you remain unaware of the ridiculous ideologies you support and that you are in fact a supporter of the very EVIL you claim to rally against.  Such is the life of a libtard.

i apologise to americans everywhere for unfairly associating them with a weak cry baby pansy like you.
b