Author Topic: I wanna learn a manly martial art - but not MMA -- advice please  (Read 5978 times)

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
Re: I wanna learn a manly martial art - but not MMA -- advice please
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 04:07:10 AM »
Sambo

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 04:23:11 AM »
SHOTGUNDO IS VERY DEADLY, TO BE HONEST THO THE BEST THINGS A PERSON CAN DO FOR SELF DEFENSE IS JUDO/SAMBO COMBINED WITH BRUTAL MAUY THIA,I KNOW U R NOT LOOKING FOR THOSE THINGS THO BUT THE REASON I PICKED JUDO/SAMBO OVER WRESTLING OR BJJ IS BECAUSE THE LAST PLACE I WANNA BE OR FOR THAT MATTER ANYBODY WANTS TO BE IN A STREET ALTERCATION IS ON THE GROUND,A NICE JUDO HIP THROW ON CONCRETE CAN END A PERSONS NIGHT AND DESIRE TO TRY TO HARM U REAL QUICK,OR A NICE THIA KICK IN SOMEONES RIBS CAN END EVERYTHING IN A SNAP ALSO,ITS LIKE GETTING HIT WITH A BASEBALL BAT SWUNG BY A POWER HITTER FROM A PRO BASEBALLTEAM :o. I ALWAYS SAY HELL WITH THE THE FLASHY VAN DAMME STUFF,WHEN U R TALKING ABOUT GETTING U OR YOUR FAMILY OUT OF A POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SITUATION YOUR BEST OPTION IS SOME TOAST(GUN) IF U DONT HAVE ANY TOAST THE STUFF I MENTIONED ABOVE IS THE BEST IN MY HONEST OPINION TO HELP U SURVIVE
R

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 04:23:15 AM »
I don't want none of that "no contact" pussy shit, but something that takes skill, lithe moves, athleticism, and deadly force.

Please advise...
Kama Sutra

MikMaq

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 04:27:48 AM »
I think judo is highly underrated.

If your past the age of 20, alot of the other sports are just way to intense for what they are worth.

its a highly competitive form of sport, without concussions, or sparing by a point system.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 04:55:54 AM »
I think judo is highly underrated.

If your past the age of 20, alot of the other sports are just way to intense for what they are worth.

its a highly competitive form of sport, without concussions, or sparing by a point system.

i agree,judo is awesome, u can throw a dude on concrete and end his night real quick like that
R

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 05:59:21 AM »
Judo can give you the balance and skill to stay on your feet. Also to down an opponent. Since I was involved in jui jitsu many years ago I fully get how you need it to be well rounded in self defense. The biggest flaw of it is how they really neglect how to get someone to the ground. A friend told me at his Brazilian jui jitsu school the instructor brought in a judo guy to practice take downs. He told me it became really apparent that some of the better guys in the school had a lot of trouble getting guys to the ground. If they were fighting strikers that would be the end for them. 

MMA has taught us you have to be well rounded. Boxing is great until your tackled. Jui Jitsu is great until you can't figure out how to get down a puncher/kicker who has a good sprawl and take down defense.

Stan Diego

• Getbig III
  • A whales vagina
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 06:30:10 AM »
The first comment is pretty much spot on...

"Bruce Lee is a SCREEN ACTOR / CLOWN nothing more. He NEVER had any real fight, never had a single bruise, cut or bleeding. All choreographed slow mo moves reminiscent of ballet dance for geriatrics. Anyone admiring him is a MORON. It is like admiring Adam Sandler for being a superman." -Jean Claude Van Damme

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 06:40:25 AM »
Bruce Lees Martial Arts is the best ever.

MikMaq

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 06:45:53 AM »
Judo can give you the balance and skill to stay on your feet. Also to down an opponent. Since I was involved in jui jitsu many years ago I fully get how you need it to be well rounded in self defense. The biggest flaw of it is how they really neglect how to get someone to the ground. A friend told me at his Brazilian jui jitsu school the instructor brought in a judo guy to practice take downs. He told me it became really apparent that some of the better guys in the school had a lot of trouble getting guys to the ground. If they were fighting strikers that would be the end for them. 

MMA has taught us you have to be well rounded. Boxing is great until your tackled. Jui Jitsu is great until you can't figure out how to get down a puncher/kicker who has a good sprawl and take down defense.

I think its largely because the sport is almost entirely defensive.

Way to much focus in most martial arts is placed on some delusion of badassry.

Never really followed UFC growing up. but when I did, people seemed to be way too surprised how important foot work and shit is.

For me it was second nature as a small kid.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 06:54:34 AM »
"Bruce Lee is a SCREEN ACTOR / CLOWN nothing more. He NEVER had any real fight, never had a single bruise, cut or bleeding. All choreographed slow mo moves reminiscent of ballet dance for geriatrics. Anyone admiring him is a MORON. It is like admiring Adam Sandler for being a superman." -Jean Claude Van Damme
so you are saying this man is a moron? ??? I did a Seminar in Hannover where he taught Kali. A very nice man. You are just a tit. I can assure you he was very fast and the unarmed stuff he showed was very effective. Philippine Boxing. Your post Shows you know nothing about any System.

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 07:04:32 AM »
Marine Corps hand to hand training. It's called LINE training and if the idea is to eliminate the threat there is no equivalent. 

Stan Diego

• Getbig III
  • A whales vagina
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »
so you are saying this man is a moron? ??? I did a Seminar in Hannover where he taught Kali. A very nice man. You are just a tit. I can assure you he was very fast and the unarmed stuff he showed was very effective. Philippine Boxing. Your post Shows you know nothing about any System.

Hey panty sniffer. That's a fucking quote from someone else. You need to go after JVD. He would treat you like a litter box & you know it...

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »

great post oldtimer, i went to a kodokan judo school on tues n thurs n bjj on mon-sat,sat we did some muay thia also.thats why chuck gave so many fighters trouble because they couldnt take him down, even if they did hed get back up, randy was only guy that was able to keep him down. id hate the bjj schools that always started on their knees,i guess if they where in a bar thay could get a verbal agreement to start on knees ::)
R

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 10:00:56 AM »

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 10:20:51 AM »
Muay Thai or boxing would be my choice.

Beckenbauer

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »

Well Judo is the competitive form of Jiu Jitsu. Jiu jitsu was invented in war times, when peaceful time arrived Judo was introduced around 150 years ago so they could practice without injuring your partner. But funny thing, when Jiu Jitsu practioners didn't accept Judo cause they felt Judo is inferior, they did a friendly competition, and guess who won? 90% Judo won over jiu jitsu. It's because Judo kas were stronger physically, more stamina and had better balance oppossed to Jiu jitsu guys. Because in Judo u can practice without much interruption and it's all about keeping balance and throws.

So I think Judo is the better overall sport vs jiu jitsu, in Judo u can learn the same lock out techniques but ofc it's not their main focus. That's why u see a lot former Judo champions do very well in MMA comps.