Author Topic: Dorian Yates on Arnold Schwarzenegger  (Read 12720 times)

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
Re: Dorian Yates on Arnold Schwarzenegger
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 07:00:36 PM »
Arnold owns a lot of minds.
O

ENZO

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »
Arnold owns a lot of minds.

Arnold always wins. Even when he loses.

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
Re: Arnold Dorian. Dorian Flips It.
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »
Mentzer i cant comment on as i dont know, Dorian did volume in the beginning. He didnt go to a HIT style until much later, he built the bulk of his mass using volume. Even then, he used much greater volume than Mentzer ever advocated.

As I said he was an evolution of mentzers ideas.

But, his theories and build (both had that dense, stocky,  more torso than arms look) were similar to mentzers and Arnold did not approve of Mentzers physique or his training, so I could see how it could taint his views.
Casey Viator trained with Mentzer a great deal and said publicly, the mentzers did 12 to 15 sets per body part, but only counted teh last two as " working sets "

THE BEEF

Weedlejuice

• Getbig III
  • Be the very best, like no one ever was.
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2014, 05:05:01 AM »
Despite his physique, Arnie always struck me as a dick.

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »
Dorian says in Blood and Guts (first book) he trained the body over a 2 day workout, training 3 times a week when he started.

Anyway, when you start training you can do more volume, you can't feel the muscle like you can years later and you are nowhere near as strong. Once you start lifting serious weights, doing 10+ sets a bodypart is crazy. You are overdoing it then.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
Mike and Arnold never had a rivalry. That's the first time Mike and Arnold competed in the same contest.

Arnold did criticized modern bodybuilding back in the 1990s , he attacked the way the guys dressed in the striped leotards and multi-print genie pants ,   Arnold actually criticized Sly Stallone in print as well for dressing like a clown with his full length fur coats as well.

He really didn't ' attack ' Dorian , he commented on ' This guy who is the current Mr Olympia The guy from England  ' He didn't even bother to mention Dorian by name , he said he wins the contest and goes back to England not to be seen again until next year. He felt the current Mr Olympia wasn't doing enough to promote the sport like he did. Which was kinda of true but Dorian was much more reserved than Arnold but Dorian had a point Arnold was sorta out of touch with the modern scene he flew into the Arnold Classic once a year made an appearance and jettisoned off back to Hollywood.

Arnold never specially commented on Dorian's physique and it being the harbinger of the beginning of the end of bodybuilding. Arnold always gave compliments to others , Sergio specifically. The biggest slight is he didn't know who Dorian was or he did and decided not to mention his name.
I thought there was a quote from Arnold where he stated that Dorian had 'no arms and the belly of a cow'?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 08:44:16 AM »
I thought there was a quote from Arnold where he stated that Dorian had 'no arms and the belly of a cow'?

That was Sergio Oliva

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 08:49:51 AM »
True at any rate. Especially in 1997.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
That was Sergio Oliva
Huh. That quote was passed around getbig as arnolds for YEARS

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »
Casey Viator trained with Mentzer a great deal and said publicly, the mentzers did 12 to 15 sets per body part, but only counted teh last two as " working sets "

THE BEEF
)same with dorian,i seen dorian training chest at my old gym in jersey in early 90,s n he started with 135 on incline bench,then 225,then 315,then 405,and did his last all out set with low to mid 400,s,which consisted of forced reps and negatives. he didnt count the first 4 sets, then he goes to a chest machine made by flex,then hammer strength,and he finished off with cable cross overs,in total he musta did 20 plus sets easy.
R

Alucard

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 11:14:34 AM »
It was really Oliva who said it... Arnold never criticised Yates physique, he criticised the fact that he didn't do much to promote the sport, and was probably a bit pissed that he never did one single ASC...

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 12:03:08 PM »

No that was Serigo talking on the modern sport commented on how Flex was like him and he liked Ronnie too. Pumpster you to post that often.

The Arnold slight was not about his physique. It was referring to Dorian as ' That guy from England ' when he knew who he was and he took off back to England instead of promoting the sport. It really wasn't a big deal but people made it out to be.

Here's the interview

http://muscleandbrawn.com/sergio-oliva-interview/

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2014, 12:29:46 PM »
No that was Serigo talking on the modern sport commented on how Flex was like him and he liked Ronnie too. Pumpster you to post that often.

The Arnold slight was not about his physique. It was referring to Dorian as ' That guy from England ' when he knew who he was and he took off back to England instead of promoting the sport. It really wasn't a big deal but people made it out to be.

Here's the interview

http://muscleandbrawn.com/sergio-oliva-interview/

Good interview, thanks!

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 12:58:26 PM »
i always get suspicious when people try to scientifically formulate a bodybuilding system

ben pakulski and layne norton also make me suspicious for this reason

both so fucking smart and both have subpar arms

i keep telling people

bodybuilding is closer to witchcraft than to science

there are no answers only questions

the more you think the more confusion accumulates and clarity continues to elude you

this post should be hung above the gates of bodybuilding; every new acolyte will be forced to read it before setting foot in a gym

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 01:04:23 PM »

You might be thinking of the Mentzer quote.

"You have a weak chest and a fat stomach !"

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 01:05:35 PM »
this post should be hung above the gates of bodybuilding; every new acolyte will be forced to read it before setting foot in a gym
in "generation iron" branch warren also shook his head at people who try to "science" bodybuildin

ben palulski with all his science as well as layne norton have fucking shit arms

why is that ???

this guy^^^ actually gives seminar where he reveals the true range of motion of the bicep, "did you know a bicep is only fully contracted when elbow is pointing at the ceiling as in scratching your back? dont think you knew that!"

::)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »
You might be thinking of the Mentzer quote.

"You have a weak chest and a fat stomach !"
Nah.... years ago pumpster posted that quote as an arnold quote and it made the rounds for a long time, never saw anyone correct it so I kinda just went with it, as it kind of sounded like Arnold anyway.
Shoulda figured he was full of shit.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »
he's done some dickish things but he's a joker too. Here's an arnold story
Fan:
Being a friend with James Cameron, have you ever met with Arnold Schwarzenegger? If so, is there any funny story you could share with us? Also do you have a favourite Arnold movie/quote?

Steven Quale:
When I first met Arnold Schwarzenegger, I was 20 years old and I was in Jim Cameron's trailer fixing some cables on his video system. Arnold walked in with Jim and a bunch of important people at that time, so it was my cue that i should probably get out of the trailer. Arnold then was between me and the only exit out, and he was standing there, his nose within one inch of my nose, starting into my eyes dead silent. I was so afraid because i had no idea what he was going to say. he just stared at me for like 15 seconds, with a very stern face.
Then he said "What the hell are you doing in here"?
And I tried to come up with a response, and then he just let a big grin out and laughed and patted me on the back and said "*Just kidding! Nice to know you, I'm Arnold. What's your name?" and I said "Steve" and he said "Welcome onboard Terminator 2."

Despite his physique, Arnie always struck me as a dick.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »
he's done some dickish things but he's a joker too. Here's an arnold story
Fan:
Being a friend with James Cameron, have you ever met with Arnold Schwarzenegger? If so, is there any funny story you could share with us? Also do you have a favourite Arnold movie/quote?

Steven Quale:
When I first met Arnold Schwarzenegger, I was 20 years old and I was in Jim Cameron's trailer fixing some cables on his video system. Arnold walked in with Jim and a bunch of important people at that time, so it was my cue that i should probably get out of the trailer. Arnold then was between me and the only exit out, and he was standing there, his nose within one inch of my nose, starting into my eyes dead silent. I was so afraid because i had no idea what he was going to say. he just stared at me for like 15 seconds, with a very stern face.
Then he said "What the hell are you doing in here"?
And I tried to come up with a response, and then he just let a big grin out and laughed and patted me on the back and said "*Just kidding! Nice to know you, I'm Arnold. What's your name?" and I said "Steve" and he said "Welcome onboard Terminator 2."

If you watch the behind the scenes/making of stuff of pumping iron and others, dudes a pretty funny, fun loving guy, and he's quite the prankster/joker.

You can tell by watching his off camera candid stuff and the recent stuff he's done that he's an absolute goofball.

Several people said that a character was created for pumping iron that was more dramatic than accurate....

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2014, 05:27:48 PM »
yep, i think arnold should move forward with a action comedy spoof, he could be the new frank drebin or something

If you watch the behind the scenes/making of stuff of pumping iron and others, dudes a pretty funny, fun loving guy, and he's quite the prankster/joker.

You can tell by watching his off camera candid stuff and the recent stuff he's done that he's an absolute goofball.

Several people said that a character was created for pumping iron that was more dramatic than accurate....

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2014, 02:47:35 AM »
in "generation iron" branch warren also shook his head at people who try to "science" bodybuildin

ben palulski with all his science as well as layne norton have fucking shit arms

why is that ???

this guy^^^ actually gives seminar where he reveals the true range of motion of the bicep, "did you know a bicep is only fully contracted when elbow is pointing at the ceiling as in scratching your back? dont think you knew that!"

::)

The Grim Lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2014, 03:58:52 AM »
)same with dorian,i seen dorian training chest at my old gym in jersey in early 90,s n he started with 135 on incline bench,then 225,then 315,then 405,and did his last all out set with low to mid 400,s,which consisted of forced reps and negatives. he didnt count the first 4 sets, then he goes to a chest machine made by flex,then hammer strength,and he finished off with cable cross overs,in total he musta did 20 plus sets easy.

So what, if you can do an all out set at 405 you have to build up to it otherwise you risk injury. Doesn't mean the set did anything to help you grow. He did one all out set per exercise. The amount of warm ups is irrelevant.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2014, 04:04:23 AM »
So what, if you can do an all out set at 405 you have to build up to it otherwise you risk injury. Doesn't mean the set did anything to help you grow. He did one all out set per exercise. The amount of warm ups is irrelevant.
is it actually a fact  ???

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2014, 05:09:52 AM »
gotta disagree.

You definitely feel sets with more reps with 60% and 80% of max effort.

MikMaq

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2014, 06:16:27 AM »
i always get suspicious when people try to scientifically formulate a bodybuilding system

there are no answers only questions

the more you think the more confusion accumulates and clarity continues to elude you
For once I am willing to agree with you and your feeble mind.

Honestly outside of which drugs to pin, the only two threads on getbig should be.

Do you lift weights once or twice a week.

The vitamins and proteins the body needs.

anything else is just a made up farce to help people pretend a male beauty contest is something other than it is.

Honestly anytime, people talk about actual bodybuilding I cringe. Its all drugs and genetics. To deny this is some severe sense of denial.