Author Topic: billionaire explains how mediocre people think  (Read 9804 times)

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
Re: billionaire explains how mediocre people think
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »
I would be interested to hear 2thick's views but my experience:

Most of them dont give a f about what other people think of them, so they wear what they like, many therefore are disheveled. But clearly not all.

Most of the ones I know are far from fat but dont really lift maybe do triathlon or similar

They are sharp regarding what is important as opposed to big business people who are usually unsurpassed political operators

Many of them spend a lot of time on holiday and delegate day to day operations, ie they let their money work for them while focusing on what is key

They surround themselves with people who think similarly and get shot on the deadbeats, the type that can often hide out in large firms.

Guess you’re back under another name already?  ;D

Bottom line, if you want to be a billionaire, I’d say listen to what self-made billionaires have to say. If guys on getbig say different or say that the billionaire’s an idiot or whatever, they’re probably wrong. :D

He obviously owns a large amount of stock / options. That’s how managers and pretty much everyone else get wealthy – ownership. Not by opting for large cash bonuses and sitting on it or blowing it.

Steve Jobs, Lee Iacoca, and Richard Kinder are well known for taking $1 salaries and making their money off stock and options and bonuses based upon productivity. That’s the kind of manager you want running a company you invest in.

I personally wouldn’t invest in a company where the top management had little or no stock ownership, and I’d tend to get spooked if they were selling large blocks. I’d never invest in a company like GE that gives the CEO “tenure”.  ::)

At his level, I doubt he even knows or cares who cleans the toilets or landscapes the building – as long as these things are done, they probably don’t even enter into his mind. That stuff is almost always contracted out at most companies, at least here in the US.

When he speaks about hiring go-getters, the best, etc, he’s thinking about managers, top manager candidates, MBAs, engineers, CPAs, JDs, etc. It’s part of his fiduciary responsibility to shareholders to hire the best and the brightest and think about the company’s future and a succession plan.

Any CEO of a publicly traded company who is worth a shit is well aware that the company is bigger than he, and won’t likely let his ego and insecurity keep him from hiring the best people he can. He knows that the board and shareholders can bounce him out if he’s not the majority owner. And he’s no doubt thinking about the future stock price even after he’s sitting in a rocking chair and he still likely owns millions of shares.

It seems like those who are the richest self-made get there mostly either by starting, buying, or investing heavily in a company that is very cheap and becomes very valuable and profitable – usually becoming publicly traded. Or by big oil strikes on land where they own the mineral rights or are leasing and drilling them. Or by asset management. Or perhaps real estate if they can do really well on big deals and avoid losing their asses during bad times.

The American Dream can be summed up right here IMO:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Hamm

Regarding appearances, a guy originally from my hometown who is a few years older than me co-founded a well-known tech company some 20+ years ago when he was still in college across the country. The company caught on when the internet was just getting going, and they went public. He’s long had a good 100 million shares, and is worth billions and is a brilliant guy. But you’d never know he’s one of the richest guys in the country - he’s physically very unimpressive, tends to drive relatively inexpensive cars that are many years old, and dresses like a bum unless his wife dresses him up.  :D
A

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 05:13:50 PM »
I agree with the general message. To succeed and break past the standard you need to have passion for whatever you do

x2

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 05:25:32 PM »
I prefer when wealthy business man have a TV show selling DVD on how to get rich, for only $49.99

I

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »
Hairline of Peace with a physique of Peace.

The only women he can get is those he use money to get.
They're only there for the money.

Behind his back they're looking for a real man.

If he added some muscle and maybe touched up his english a bit, then he would be taken seriously.

He should have shaved off all hair on his head or gotten transplants.

U can say the same about him having lots of other girls around , gets tired of one moves on to the next. The power of money! Wins everytime

MikMaq

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2014, 02:27:49 AM »
actually research shows that people like him are indeed not money driven but POWER DRIVEN

passion my foot

power is the name of the game
Power is way to vague of a term.

Does a guy that ones to own a NFL franschise want power over athletes or does he simply want to have his own team.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2014, 05:02:08 AM »

These guys' goal is to convince you that him being at the top and making 400 times what you make is a good idea.

If you listen carefully, for example, when asked how you ensure that this "right culture" percolates to the lower management ranks, he starts babbling things out not making any sense. He says something like "we have a meeting and we tell them what's expected". HUH? Dassit?

Bottom line is make money vs. lose money. You can make lots of money with a company full of mediocre people. In fact half of the American companies that move to India actively seek mediocre people as employees.

These people are trained, underline TRAINED, to define things in an extremely vague way, which they call "goals", and be as unspecific as possible. They have very little tolerance to being questioned, that's why when he says that they ensure a culture of meritocracy is implemented throughout the company via meetings, as absurd as it sounds (because it is impossible to implement/enforce via meetings/semi-annual evaluations, et cetera,) they expect you to believe it and not question it.

Little Hitlers. That's all they are.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2014, 05:26:53 AM »

These guys' goal is to convince you that him being at the top and making 400 times what you make is a good idea.

If you listen carefully, for example, when asked how you ensure that this "right culture" percolates to the lower management ranks, he starts babbling things out not making any sense. He says something like "we have a meeting and we tell them what's expected". HUH? Dassit?

Bottom line is make money vs. lose money. You can make lots of money with a company full of mediocre people. In fact half of the American companies that move to India actively seek mediocre people as employees.

These people are trained, underline TRAINED, to define things in an extremely vague way, which they call "goals", and be as unspecific as possible. They have very little tolerance to being questioned, that's why when he says that they ensure a culture of meritocracy is implemented throughout the company via meetings, as absurd as it sounds (because it is impossible to implement/enforce via meetings/semi-annual evaluations, et cetera,) they expect you to believe it and not question it.

Well put.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2014, 05:40:51 AM »

i really agree but maybe that's my mediocre thought process  :D

when i listened to one of his speeches on meritocracy i thought "whoah hitler is back"

he was saying the top people make the difference and everybody else deserves not much well of course basic human rights and such  ??? :D

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2014, 07:10:19 AM »
i really agree but maybe that's my mediocre thought process  :D

when i listened to one of his speeches on meritocracy i thought "whoah hitler is back"

he was saying the top people make the difference and everybody else deserves not much well of course basic human rights and such  ??? :D

He's not saying anything different from what Jack Welch used to say.

He's part of a group of 1% of individuals telling the other 99% of human beings on this planet that you would do better if you do what he says.

And he only gets to say it because many in the 99% group passively accept his bullshit.

There's very little new, sophisticated or ground-breaking in what he says. It's rather simple actually: He was chosen to be the distributor of resources in a company. Some of his decisions include laying thousands of people off in what are called cost-cutting initiatives, and he is well known for his cost cutting "ideas". He is so far removed from anything remotely human that it's no wonder his choice of words seem to insinuate he is not on the side of humanity. He has to.

Wouldn't it be A LOT better, more democratic, if the employees in his company got to vote on what's best for the company instead of having this fucking retard walk around pointing at US citizens depending on how much "merit" they deserve?  

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2014, 01:00:06 AM »
this is nice stories by the moonlight but in real life most people just do their job

Exactly that's why most people are mediocre

2Thick

• Getbig IV
  • His Thickness
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »

He's part of a group of 1% of individuals telling the other 99% of human beings on this planet that you would do better if you do what he says.

And he only gets to say it because many in the 99% group passively accept his bullshit.

There's very little new, sophisticated or ground-breaking in what he says. It's rather simple actually: He was chosen to be the distributor of resources in a company. Some of his decisions include laying thousands of people off in what are called cost-cutting initiatives, and he is well known for his cost cutting "ideas". He is so far removed from anything remotely human that it's no wonder his choice of words seem to insinuate he is not on the side of humanity. He has to.

Wouldn't it be A LOT better, more democratic, if the employees in his company got to vote on what's best for the company instead of having this fucking retard walk around pointing at US citizens depending on how much "merit" they deserve?  

It would only work if the employees were shareholders. Corporations are not meant to be "democratic". If you don't like your job that someone else hired you to do in a company that you have no skin in, go find another one.

He's running things and telling everyone else what to do because he's smarter overall than they are and put more into it - at least in most cases, if not all. Of course some people get lucky, marry the right girl, play golf with the right rich old man, or whatever. Nobody ever said life was fair.

But there's no way 90+ % of the company's employees would be willing or able to do what it would take to fill his shoes. Most people want to be told what to do, collect a steady paycheck each week, and be home by 5pm.

Most don't have the brains, drive, knowledge, or work ethic to know what's best for a company or to be able to put themselves in such a position to know.
A

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2014, 12:40:18 AM »
It's not funny at all.

It's the people he considers 'mediocre' that have it right in life.

All those "go-getters" - well - 9999 out of 10,000 fail. And the one that succeeds - well, that was just luck.

It's the guys that are enjoying where they are and not obsessing about where they want to be that are enjoying life.

Luck has very little to do with it. I'm busy succeeding in business. I can assure you, luck had very little to do with it. It's how plain, instantly forgettable people justify everything in life. Knowing what a slog it is every day, knowing what amounts of efforts you need to go to to get paid, pay your people, arguing tax payments, etc. I can assure you 'luck' won't get me past the first 5 days in my business. Won't help me in the first hour of any day. Everything is calculated, planned, recalculated, the recalculated again, debated to death, flushed out everyone's thinking before a decision is reached.

I'd love to lay in bed everyday and let 'Luck' run my business for me

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2014, 12:52:59 AM »

Why would you allow mediocre, replaceable people to 'vote' what's best for the company? They have no information (probably no business intelligence either), no proven decision making skills that could have far-flung effects to everyone working there nor the experience at top level business. Ask the receptionist at InBev to make a call on buying Coca Cola? Gimme a break. There's a reason millions of companies go bust every year worldwide and GE surviving since the 1800s. You need leaders like Welch that poured his guts, soul and life into GE to contribute to what it is. Not small minded people that punch a clock

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2014, 01:26:09 PM »

BINGO!!! Pure truth!!!

From a woman's perspective... Most women would rather be with a dynamic, impassioned man who is growing, reaching, striving and developing excellence in himself and those around him, than even the most jacked, ripped, bodybuilder who is average, mediocre or boring.
w

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
BINGO!!! Pure truth!!!

From a woman's perspective... Most women would rather be with a dynamic, impassioned man who is growing, reaching, striving and developing excellence in himself and those around him, than even the most jacked, ripped, bodybuilder who is average, mediocre or boring.
ahahahahahaha sorry but this is hilarious

you really think this guy would even look at you?   ;D ;D ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »
ahahahahahaha sorry but this is hilarious

I'm sure Salma Hayek would disagree with your assesment, but I'm glad you were able to derive some humour from what must obviously be a very painful reality for those who put too much emphasis on developing their physiques, to the detriment of their intellects, personalities, mental, spiritual, or personal growth.

you really think this guy would even look at you?   ;D ;D ;D

Truth be told, ...I've never given it any thought. I really don't care if he would look at me or not?
If I ever got tired of being my own boss (not very likely) and had to resort to being an employee stuck in someone else's package, ...I'm pretty certain he'd jump to hire me.

Have yourself an awesome day!

ps: Hopefully one that doesn't include bitterness, jealousy and/or self delusion.

w