Author Topic: Indy Car MAV 500 Race - cool day  (Read 2002 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Indy Car MAV 500 Race - cool day
« on: August 31, 2014, 11:33:19 PM »

So not exactly bodybuilding related, but still, since Muscletech sponsors an Indy Car, gotta have some fun at the races.

So we had a great day on Saturday, headed out to the Indy Car MAV 500 race in Fontana. But thanks to Muscletech, we got a special VIP day for the family and some friends. This was actually my first Indy Car race, so didn't know what to expect. This race was an evening race, starting around 7:15pm, but we got there before 4.

We got to check out the car that they sponsor in the garage area, and met the driver too, Sebastien Bourdais.  Also, got a cool informative Q&A on everything there, and when they started the engine, amazing on just how loud these cars are.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Indy Car MAV 500 Race - cool day
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:38:33 PM »

Cool checking out the scenes from the VIP section, as the drives come out before the race, meet the crowd and head back to their cars.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »

Cool way to respect the National Anthem (sung by a singer from America's Got Talent or so).  Two American flags coming down from the sky...

Four parachuters, coming quite close to us! Ha - we didn't know why they were closing an area where we were at for.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 11:47:07 PM »
Pit Crew area was cool (and loud) - I honestly didn't realize how loud these cars are when they go by, and the raw power and thundering force around you.  Cannot imagine a crash in one of these (which they had the night before on a practice run in which a driver destroyed his car going over 200+ mph, and was still in the hospital)

A ton of computer equipment in the engineering section, watch every aspect of the car.

Learned a lot of tires, how thin they are, and how at 200 mhp, the tired can get 'sticky'.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 11:51:25 PM »
Oh, and the best part - being in the air conditioned suites with all you can eat and drink! And good stuff too - brisket, chicken, pulled pork, brownies, cookies and so much more!

Oh, we had a cool guest there who also decided to bartend too.. can you guess who he is?

The evening ended with a cool display of fireworks!

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 12:26:25 AM »
 8) nice

NightTrain

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:16:07 AM »
HydroxyCult®

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 06:15:07 AM »
Very nice - still some things left where America is kicking butt!  8)

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 06:21:34 AM »

Thank God you didn't have a GetBig t-shirt on.   

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »

Thank God you didn't have a GetBig t-shirt on.   

It was underneath - and the drivers wanted one

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 08:23:36 AM »
Hahaha that's Barry Weiss from Storage Wars and Barry'd Treasure - good stuff Ron, looks like you had a fab day mate.

I love that guy lol, seems to have a ton of charisma on the TV, how was he in person?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »
It was underneath - and the drivers wanted one
Have you never been around professional race cars before? You think those are loud, you should go to an NHRA national event and watch the funny cars.....

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 11:52:50 AM »
Many of the large tracks have retired cars where you can take a few laps (you must follow an instructor. Most of the session is about safety, etc. Las Vegas and Ontario, Ca. are set up for this.  A load of fun. You will hit 140 in the turns. I was able to get the Ontario peeps to let me follow at 160.  2 weeks later I was on the same track in my highly modified and track set up Cobra and hit 160. About a half hour later it hit me WTF am I doing and I sold my car.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 08:02:06 PM »
Have you never been around professional race cars before? You think those are loud, you should go to an NHRA national event and watch the funny cars.....

No - this was actually my first Indy Car race, and the first being so close to the cars, especially going 200 mph on this track.  Learned a lot, even how sloped the track is here in Fontana.

Hahaha that's Barry Weiss from Storage Wars and Barry'd Treasure - good stuff Ron, looks like you had a fab day mate. I love that guy lol, seems to have a ton of charisma on the TV, how was he in person

He was pretty cool in person too. Very nice, talked to a lot of people, and liked his drinks :)

Mazda323

• Getbig III
  • Guardian Angel
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 07:32:30 AM »
Cool!!!