Author Topic: PROTEIN KILLS! new study wake up call  (Read 7589 times)

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
PROTEIN KILLS! new study wake up call
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »
A wake-up call for the high-protein brigade
SAXON CHENG THE AUSTRALIAN AUGUST 22, 2014 12:00AM

AN Australian study concluding that a high protein, low-carbohydrate diet reduces lifespan and increases the risk of diabetes and heart disease should be of great concern to the fitness industry, where a large proportion of people believe a diet dominated by protein shakes or bars leads to lean muscle mass and rapid weight loss.

Timmy Naidoo, director of Sydney supplement store Body Dynamix, has seen how the myth that carbohydrates are evil has infiltrated the health and fitness community.

“About 60 to 70 per cent of first-time bodybuilders and fitness models come to me and confess they consume about three protein shakes a day and neglect a well-balanced meal,” says Naidoo, who has a diploma in personal training and nutrition.

“Young people think the more protein shakes the better, however too many shakes slows down the metabolism. A well-balanced diet of carbs, protein and fats provides adequate nutrients; a carefully monitored supplements program, adequate rest and a structured fitness regime will achieve results.”

As a personal trainer and two-time International Natural Bodybuilding Association finalist for NSW, I’ve advised my predominantly corporate female clients against relying on meal replacement shakes, which are unsustainable in the long term and should only be used as a last resort.

This appears to be supported by the study at the University of Sydney’s Charles Perkins Centre in which mice were fed a variety of 25 diets. Researchers examined the effects of protein, fat and carbohydrate on energy intake, metabolic health, ageing and longevity.

The research, published in the journal Cell Metabolism in March, found that a high protein, low-carbohydrate diet resulted in less body fat and food intake but also reduced lifespan and raised the risk of diabetes and heart disease. Researchers believe these results will apply to humans.

The study also found that, in contrast, a high carbohydrate, low-protein diet resulted in more body fat but a longer lifespan and less risk of diabetes and heart disease.

A low protein, high-fat diet provided the worst health outcomes.

The short-term side effects of a high protein, low-carbohydrate diet include constipation, vitamin deficiency, a poor immune system, gastrointestinal upsets and high intake of saturated fats.

This can lead to serious long-term problems such as diabetes and heart disease. Ketosis (the state in which the body uses fat for energy) can occur when the body is extremely low in carbs, eventually resulting in starvation and muscle wastage.

Ameer Ibrahim, FIFA sports medicine instructor for the Asian Football Confederation, says it’s difficult for the body to ingest large volumes of protein year after year.

“Asian countries like Korea and Japan have a high incidence of cancer of the gut due to their high-protein diet of fish and cured meat,” Ibrahim says.

“I’m also concerned that gym-goers here consume too much protein.

“Protein is important to repair muscles after lifting weights and putting on size, but the dosage of is paramount: the body requires 2.5g of protein daily per kilogram of body weight.”

Ibrahim, who is also chief medical officer for the Sydney Roosters and Sydney FC, agrees with researchers who say a diet that has moderate amounts of high-quality protein (about 15 to 20 per cent of total calorie intake) and is relatively low in fat and high in good-quality complex carbohydrates will yield the best metabolic health and prospects for longevity.

“This is a good all-year round strategy for optimum health,” he says.

If you want to build lean muscle, South Sydney Rabbitohs team dietitian Caitlin Reid says you need a good weights program and a nutrition plan that meets your training goals.

“Having a positive energy balance creates the right environment to gain muscle and you need to time your nutrient intake around your training — focusing on protein and carbohydrates immediately after exercise,” she says.

“Consume small hits of protein throughout the day: 25g of protein six times per day. You can get this through good-quality protein sources like lean red meat, skinless chicken, fish and dairy products.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/executive-living/a-wakeup-call-for-the-highprotein-brigade/story-e6frg9zo-1227032323066
"

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: PROTEIN KILLS! new study wake up call
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:08:08 PM »
Too many contradictions to even begin to criticise. The study was probably funded by some cereal company.

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
i actually couldn't even read the big bolded part the post sucked that much

and i started there

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »
Everyone dies.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:34:12 AM »
You could be hit by a bus tomorrow, 'namsaying?

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 01:44:40 AM »
Worst article ever.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 01:49:01 AM »
New study:

Life may potentially be deadly.  ::)

Ever since I was involved in the "science cult" I stopped taking the words of these people for granted.
All research is funded by people with an agenda and "scientists" can draw the insanest conclusions with the help of data filtering/manipulation.
Not to mention the "research under 100 people showed" studies which are a statistical nightmare.

You may as well listen to a fortune teller, then at least you'll know you're getting fucked.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 02:03:30 AM »
if u eliminate fat u die

if u eliminate protein u die

if u eliminate carbs u still live

interesting

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:56 AM »
Mice.

Big Carb fights back.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 02:34:49 AM »

muscleman-2013

• Getbig V
  • Team Trump
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 03:15:26 AM »
Too many contradictions to even begin to criticise. The study was probably funded by some cereal company.

Sort of like the pro GMO studies...
Ψ

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 03:33:18 AM »
then next year they will have a new study saying protien prolongs life span in people ::)
R

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 04:54:17 AM »
Bodybuilders as a group are stupid when it comes to protein. Who can blame them? All the pros over-consume and the magazines and supplement companies push high intakes of protein. I rather doubt you need more than 100g a day to build muscle. More than that is merely converted to sugar in the liver. So it is a monumental waste of money and resources to consume so much protein. I think 50g is sufficient to build muscle. Most young guys don't have enough calories so figure they need more protein. What a bunch of fools. Stop listening to knuckleheads in the gym and silly magazines. Go to a university library and buy the thick text book in nutrition that is used by graduate students. That is your best source of information. Stop all this bro science for goodness sake.

Clearly you need a balanced diet. That means fats, carbs and protein. You don't need extra vitamins if you have a balanced diet and a surplus calorie intake.

Nope, the muscleheads prefer to believe they need more protein. Ah, the folly that comes with lifting weights. Thick as dumbbells! And there is no cure for the universal affliction called ignorance.

It is safer to carry some excess body fat. Studies such as the above suggest it helps health and longevity. There you are. Safety fat!

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 05:01:18 AM »
Bodybuilders as a group are stupid when it comes to protein. Who can blame them? All the pros over-consume and the magazines and supplement companies push high intakes of protein. I rather doubt you need more than 100g a day to build muscle. More than that is merely converted to sugar in the liver. So it is a monumental waste of money and resources to consume so much protein. I think 50g is sufficient to build muscle. Most young guys don't have enough calories so figure they need more protein. What a bunch of fools. Stop listening to knuckleheads in the gym and silly magazines. Go to a university library and buy the thick text book in nutrition that is used by graduate students. That is your best source of information. Stop all this bro science for goodness sake.

Clearly you need a balanced diet. That means fats, carbs and protein. You don't need extra vitamins if you have a balanced diet and a surplus calorie intake.

Nope, the muscleheads prefer to believe they need more protein. Ah, the folly that comes with lifting weights. Thick as dumbbells! And there is no cure for the universal affliction called ignorance.

It is safer to carry some excess body fat. Studies such as the above suggest it helps health and longevity. There you are. Safety fat!

This is correct for real athletes, i.e. people who engage in real sports. Most scientific studies point at an optimal protein input of 0.8-1.2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight.

It's probably a lot different for people at the top level of BB, but they have already shortened their lifespan due to all drugs, so the negative effects of overeating protein diminishes in comparison.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 05:24:03 AM »
low carb moderate protein and high fat and ur ok

the trainer

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »

While I agree with you on the protein statement there is no excuse for you to be a  fatfuck in your old age, stop talking about safety fat and get on a diet and get in shape.

80 years old.

91 years old.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 08:30:31 AM »
here's the actual paper

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(14)00065-5

Highlights

•Food intake is regulated primarily by dietary protein and carbohydrate
•Low-protein, high-carbohydrate diets are associated with the longest lifespans
•Energy reduction from high-protein diets or dietary dilution does not extend life
•Diet influences hepatic mTOR via branched-chain amino acids and glucose

Summary

The fundamental questions of what represents a macronutritionally balanced diet and how this maintains health and longevity remain unanswered. Here, the Geometric Framework, a state-space nutritional modeling method, was used to measure interactive effects of dietary energy, protein, fat, and carbohydrate on food intake, cardiometabolic phenotype, and longevity in mice fed one of 25 diets ad libitum. Food intake was regulated primarily by protein and carbohydrate content. Longevity and health were optimized when protein was replaced with carbohydrate to limit compensatory feeding for protein and suppress protein intake. These consequences are associated with hepatic mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) activation and mitochondrial function and, in turn, related to circulating branched-chain amino acids and glucose. Calorie restriction achieved by high-protein diets or dietary dilution had no beneficial effects on lifespan. The results suggest that longevity can be extended in ad libitum-fed animals by manipulating the ratio of macronutrients to inhibit mTOR activation.
"

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 08:34:42 AM »
Everybody wanna be bodybuilder, nobody want to die of protein poisoning.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 08:42:55 AM »
While I agree with you on the protein statement there is no excuse for you to be a  fatfuck in your old age, stop talking about safety fat and get on a diet and get in shape.

80 years old.

He's not 80 years old you stupid twat.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 08:54:02 AM »
So black people started naming their kids protein? Not surprised.  I kid, turbo.
A

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 09:03:06 AM »

80 years old.

91 years old.

Still a roid phony..

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 09:05:58 AM »
i am 61 :)

the trainer

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 09:46:24 AM »
Still a roid phony..

Old people need roids they have very low test levels and they dont recuperate fast.

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
If I understand this correctly

the mechanism (mTOR) that promotes growth (muscles) is related to protein intake

unfortunately it's also a mechanism related to aging and certain age related illness like heart disease

seems like common sense but interesting to see someone looking at it seriously
"

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »
i am 61 :)

High IQ detected  - love Lee Priest eye wear :D

Looking great!