Author Topic: One person commits suicide every 40 seconds: WHO  (Read 1213 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
One person commits suicide every 40 seconds: WHO
« on: September 04, 2014, 01:26:12 PM »
Geneva (AFP) - One person commits suicide every 40 seconds -- more than all the yearly victims of wars and natural disaster -- with the highest toll among the elderly, the United Nations said Thursday.

In its first report on suicide, the UN's World Health Organisation blamed intense media coverage when celebrities kill themselves for fuelling the problem.

"Suicide is an amazing public health problem. There is one suicide every 40 seconds -- it is a huge number," said Shekhar Saxena, director of WHO's mental health department, at the presentation of the report in Geneva.

"Suicide kills more than conflicts, wars and natural catastrophes," he said. "There are 1.5 million violent deaths every year in the world, of which 800,000 are suicides."

Some of the highest rates of suicide are found in central and eastern Europe and in Asia, with 25 percent occurring in rich countries, the report says.

Men are almost twice as likely as women to take their own lives. Common methods are hanging, gunshots, and especially in rural areas the use of poisonous insecticides.

"Globally, suicide rates are highest in people aged 70 years and over. In some countries, however, the highest rates are found among the young," WHO said. "Notably, suicide is the second leading cause of death in 15-29 year-olds globally."

It said that in 2012 high-income countries had a slightly higher suicide rate -- 12.7 per 100,000 people, versus 11.2 in low- and middle-income nations.

But given the latter category's far higher population, they accounted for three-quarters of the global total.

The most suicide-prone countries were Guyana (44.2 per 100,000), followed by North and South Korea (38.5 and 28.9 respectively).

Next came Sri Lanka (28.8 ), Lithuania (28.2), Suriname (27.8 ), Mozambique (27.4), Nepal and Tanzania (24.9 each), Burundi (23.1), India (21.1), and South Sudan (19.8 ).

Next were Russia and Uganda (both with 19.5), Hungary (19.1), Japan (18.5), and Belarus (18.3).

The UN agency said its goal is to cut national suicide rates by 10 percent by 2020.

A major challenge, it said, is that suicide victims are often from marginalised groups of the population, many of them poor and vulnerable.

However, "suicides are preventable," Chan said.

http://news.yahoo.com/one-person-commits-suicide-every-40-seconds-101727279.html

jephrius

• Getbig III
  • PayDay
Re: One person commits suicide every 40 seconds: WHO
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Can Shizzo be next?

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 01:34:51 PM »
Doesn't compute - population growth must be decreased but suicides are bad. Somewhat of a phoney premise.
U.N. aka right hand of the O.I.C. - your concerns of peace are at war with logic.
Are suicide bombers included in these hefty numbers?

On a more serious note I read that Spain has a pretty high suicide rate since no jobs, no future.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 01:56:40 PM »
Doesn't compute - population growth must be decreased but suicides are bad. Somewhat of a phoney premise.
U.N. aka right hand of the O.I.C. - your concerns of peace are at war with logic.
Are suicide bombers included in these hefty numbers?

On a more serious note I read that Spain has a pretty high suicide rate since no jobs, no future.

Suicide rates drop when there are wars. I think it comes from not feeling like having a sense of purpose. If you are struggling to survive you don't worry about what there is to live for as you do when you are just subsisting.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:01 PM »
Suicide rates drop when there are wars. I think it comes from not feeling like having a sense of purpose. If you are struggling to survive you don't worry about what there is to live for as you do when you are just subsisting.

I guess it's the inner animal running out of a need to exist.
Good that there's bodybuilding and MMA to reinvigorate our beast side, bro.
*pours some Animal nitro into his hello kitty blender*

:D

the trainer

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »
Geneva (AFP) - One person commits suicide every 40 seconds -- more than all the yearly victims of wars and natural disaster -- with the highest toll among the elderly, the United Nations said Thursday.

In its first report on suicide, the UN's World Health Organisation blamed intense media coverage when celebrities kill themselves for fuelling the problem.

"Suicide is an amazing public health problem. There is one suicide every 40 seconds -- it is a huge number," said Shekhar Saxena, director of WHO's mental health department, at the presentation of the report in Geneva.

"Suicide kills more than conflicts, wars and natural catastrophes," he said. "There are 1.5 million violent deaths every year in the world, of which 800,000 are suicides."

Some of the highest rates of suicide are found in central and eastern Europe and in Asia, with 25 percent occurring in rich countries, the report says.

Men are almost twice as likely as women to take their own lives. Common methods are hanging, gunshots, and especially in rural areas the use of poisonous insecticides.

"Globally, suicide rates are highest in people aged 70 years and over. In some countries, however, the highest rates are found among the young," WHO said. "Notably, suicide is the second leading cause of death in 15-29 year-olds globally."

It said that in 2012 high-income countries had a slightly higher suicide rate -- 12.7 per 100,000 people, versus 11.2 in low- and middle-income nations.

But given the latter category's far higher population, they accounted for three-quarters of the global total.

The most suicide-prone countries were Guyana (44.2 per 100,000), followed by North and South Korea (38.5 and 28.9 respectively).

Next came Sri Lanka (28.8 ), Lithuania (28.2), Suriname (27.8 ), Mozambique (27.4), Nepal and Tanzania (24.9 each), Burundi (23.1), India (21.1), and South Sudan (19.8 ).

Next were Russia and Uganda (both with 19.5), Hungary (19.1), Japan (18.5), and Belarus (18.3).

The UN agency said its goal is to cut national suicide rates by 10 percent by 2020.

A major challenge, it said, is that suicide victims are often from marginalised groups of the population, many of them poor and vulnerable.

However, "suicides are preventable," Chan said.

http://news.yahoo.com/one-person-commits-suicide-every-40-seconds-101727279.html

And 255 babies are born every minute so we need to even out the odds so we dont over populate.

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »
I guess it's the inner animal running out of a need to exist.
Good that there's bodybuilding and MMA to reinvigorate our beast side, bro.
*pours some Animal nitro into his hello kitty blender*

:D

First time I thought I'd knocked up a bird (girl) I wasn't with I thought shit this is the end - throw myself under a train or what?

When it actually happened about a year later, yeah I was worried but got through it. Thinking about things is always worse than doing or experiencing them.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
First time I thought I'd knocked up a bird (girl) I wasn't with I thought shit this is the end - throw myself under a train or what?

When it actually happened about a year later, yeah I was worried but got through it. Thinking about things is always worse than doing or experiencing them.

As Mentzer put it - "...an idle mind is the devil's workshop."
Most people create a virtual hell inside their head that never comes to pass... it's almost like a forbidden high to them.

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 02:39:42 PM »
Can Shizzo be next?

That would be great!

Lustral

• Getbig V
  • FREE NOODLES
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 02:48:09 PM »
As Mentzer put it - "...an idle mind is the devil's workshop."
Most people create a virtual hell inside their head that never comes to pass... it's almost like a forbidden high to them.

I have to live through that hell for certain things, only a recent thing for me (last 2 years) but it is shit. You catastrophise, think of the worst outcome etc etc. Do it and it is fine.

When people talk about first world problems referring to psychological problems they speak out of pure ignorance. First world problems are not having money to groom your dog or get a manicure.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 03:33:31 PM »
I think its great , more air and food for me  ;D

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 03:41:04 PM »
Poor people are to bussy finding food to make suecide :D

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
Rich people have food, so what is there else to live for? Go to work?