Author Topic: Shooting themselves in the foot  (Read 866 times)

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Shooting themselves in the foot
« on: September 05, 2014, 06:23:49 AM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FAST_FOOD_PROTESTS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-09-04-09-39-16

Fast-food protesters cuffed at higher-pay rallies

By JOSEPH PISANI
Associated Press 

NEW YORK (AP) -- Police handcuffed dozens of protesters who blocked traffic in dozens of cities across the country on Thursday in their latest attempt to escalate efforts to get McDonald's, Burger King and other fast-food companies to pay employees at least $15 an hour.

The protests, which were planned by labor organizers for about 150 cities nationwide throughout Thursday, are part of a campaign called "Fight for $15."

Since the efforts began in late 2012, organizers have switched up their tactics every few months to bring attention to the protests, which have attracted spotty crowds. Organizers previously said they planned to engage in nonviolent civil disobedience on Thursday, which they predicted might lead to arrests.

Tyree Johnson also was among those hauled away in Chicago. Johnson earns $8.45 an hour after working at a Chicago McDonald's for more than two decades. "I've been there 22 years and I can't help my family," he said. ::)

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Shooting themselves in the foot
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »

Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

A company called Momentum Machines has built a robot that could radically change the fast-food industry and have some line cooks looking for new jobs.

The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible." The robot is "more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour." That's one burger every 10 seconds.

The next generation of the device will offer "custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground to order? No problem."
Momentum Machines cofounder Alexandros Vardakostas told Xconomy his "device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient. It’s meant to completely obviate them." Indeed, marketing copy on the company's site reads that their automaton "does everything employees can do, except better."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/momentum-machines-burger-robot-2014-8#ixzz3CRnlKWTV

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:28:54 AM »
Tyree Johnson also was among those hauled away in Chicago. Johnson earns $8.45 an hour after working at a Chicago McDonald's for more than two decades. "I've been there 22 years and I can't help my family," he said. ::

The Repubs are actually all about more jobs and better pay.  Most people don't know that.

“I, for instance, as you know, part company with many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage. I think we ought to raise it,” the 2012 Republican presidential nominee said. “Because frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay.” - Mitt

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:42:58 AM »
The Repubs are actually all about more jobs and better pay.  Most people don't know that.

“I, for instance, as you know, part company with many of the conservatives in my party on the issue of the minimum wage. I think we ought to raise it,” the 2012 Republican presidential nominee said. “Because frankly, our party is all about more jobs and better pay.” - Mitt

Correct. The Repubs. Not conservatives who believe in the free market.

How many people earn minimum wage after 6 months at a job? Not many and those that still do can get another job or improve their skills, education, etc.

If the economy was as good as dumocrats claim, then minimum wage shouldn't be an issue.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 06:53:36 AM »
Correct. The Repubs. Not conservatives who believe in the free market.

How many people earn minimum wage after 6 months at a job? Not many and those that still do can get another job or improve their skills, education, etc.

If the economy was as good as dumocrats claim, then minimum wage shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I can't repeat it note for note without the book... but in my final economics class of my MBA, we did this semester long breakdown of minimum wage, why it works, why it doesn't.  Sure, people will show pockets where it works, but the residual effects, such as businesses leaving that area, won't show.  And we don't see macro with it - just isolated spots.

forced minimum wage just doesn't work in the bigger picture.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:24:10 AM »
I can see where minimum wage should be raised actually, maybe 75 cents an hour tops... The idea that these clowns should get 15 bucks an hour is just ridiculous.

the minute we endorse forced raise, we open floodgates.

I think people don't realize the power they truly have.  STRIKE!  Start a competitor business.  Sabotage!  LOL

Employees COULD put together a non-official union... call it "Ten bucks or bust" and anyone in the USA that isn't getting ten bucks should just wreck shit on a daily basis until pay is moved up there :) 

Employers WILL be heartless pricks... I remember being a college grad, fetching shopping carts for 8 straight hours at a Costco in the florida summer... hey, all the free water and fruit punch I could drink lol, what swell bosses...  Hired as a poor recent grad to be a cashier, and BOOM, they swapped me out cause I was powerless to stop them.  Bosses can be total dicks cause they have the power.  Employees should take that back. 

Don't hire a union who will take dues from the poor, buy limos and vacations and get fat and rich. Do it yourself.   If 100% of "under-$15-per-hour" employees worked their tail off, asked for a raise, then made things crazy if they didnt... it could change :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 07:26:44 AM »
the minute we endorse forced raise, we open floodgates.

I think people don't realize the power they truly have.  STRIKE!  Start a competitor business.  Sabotage!  LOL

Employees COULD put together a non-official union... call it "Ten bucks or bust" and anyone in the USA that isn't getting ten bucks should just wreck shit on a daily basis until pay is moved up there :) 

Employers WILL be heartless pricks... I remember being a college grad, fetching shopping carts for 8 straight hours at a Costco in the florida summer... hey, all the free water and fruit punch I could drink lol, what swell bosses...  Hired as a poor recent grad to be a cashier, and BOOM, they swapped me out cause I was powerless to stop them.  Bosses can be total dicks cause they have the power.  Employees should take that back. 

Don't hire a union who will take dues from the poor, buy limos and vacations and get fat and rich. Do it yourself.   If 100% of "under-$15-per-hour" employees worked their tail off, asked for a raise, then made things crazy if they didnt... it could change :)

I quit after that day.  I called them and said it wasn't for me.  "Oh, no problem lol, we try that on new employees to see who will put up with it.  Don't quit, we' won't make you do that anymore..."

Sorry, didn't fly.  But it taught me a lesson... I should have been loading shopping carts into a friends truck for scrap metal lol.  jk... but it really did open my eyes.  Bosses will put a scrawny kid in the sun pushing hundreds of pounds of metal for 8 hours under a false pretense... just because they want to see what they'll get away with.  Bosses can be total dicks, particularly at low wage jobs.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 07:06:51 PM »
Here's The Burger-Flipping Robot That Could Put Fast-Food Workers Out Of A Job

A company called Momentum Machines has built a robot that could radically change the fast-food industry and have some line cooks looking for new jobs.

The company's robot can "slice toppings like tomatoes and pickles immediately before it places the slice onto your burger, giving you the freshest burger possible." The robot is "more consistent, more sanitary, and can produce ~360 hamburgers per hour." That's one burger every 10 seconds.

The next generation of the device will offer "custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground to order? No problem."
Momentum Machines cofounder Alexandros Vardakostas told Xconomy his "device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient. It’s meant to completely obviate them." Indeed, marketing copy on the company's site reads that their automaton "does everything employees can do, except better."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/momentum-machines-burger-robot-2014-8#ixzz3CRnlKWTV
I cannot wait until machines like this take starts taking jobs of people who feel they are owed a certain amount of money.

There will be plenty of protests about this though, mark my words

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 12:30:06 AM »
If I want a better paying job, I go find one  ??? I don't go stand outside my boss' office and make mindless noise. I take my skills elsewhere where it's appreciated and properly rewarded.

If you are too lazy to rise above minimum wage after TWENTY TWO FUCKING YEARS flipping burgers, perhaps you ought to take a long look at your life.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 05:00:21 AM »
I cannot wait until machines like this take starts taking jobs of people who feel they are owed a certain amount of money.

There will be plenty of protests about this though, mark my words

I dunno dude... I'm all for slapping the piss out of people who protest instead of learning new skills or starting their own business...

BUT...

BUT...

BUT...

You've see idiots at Redbox, right?  Taking 12 minutes to return a movie then skim thru what's available and then struggle for 5 more minutes at checkout?   Argh, it's frustrating.  The one thing McD and others have at their advantage is SPEED.   The minute I have to sit behind 2 idiots trying to figure out "no ketchup" and "extra pickles" and "extra crispy" on the little mcdonalds computer... UGH.... it's gonna get bloody lol.

So while I love automation when it can take out lib ingrate workers crying with the support of Pelosi and Romney... I think the loss of speed at McD will be brutal. 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 05:49:04 AM »
If I want a better paying job, I go find one  ??? I don't go stand outside my boss' office and make mindless noise. I take my skills elsewhere where it's appreciated and properly rewarded.

If you are too lazy to rise above minimum wage after TWENTY TWO FUCKING YEARS flipping burgers, perhaps you ought to take a long look at your life.
This. And guess what, every job ive left has given me more skills to take to the next, which has allowed me to negotiate for a higher wage. Im 29 and just started a job making just under 100k/yr... i went to school at 25 (on my own dime), aquired some skills, started making 40k in 2012, and 2 years later ive more than doubled that wage.

If people actually got off their ass and apolied themsleves, theyd be amazed what they can accomplish.

But instead, they just want to scream at the top of their lungs until someone gives them more money. Its a childs mentality, "you have it, i want it, so you have to give it to me."

Fucking entitlement complex man. Everyone thinks everyone owes them something.

You shouldnt be expecting to work as a fuckn cashier for 22 years and try to raise a family.. can you imagine being at a place for 22 years and still being a regular worker? Employee must be total shit if he cant even work his way into management.

It just shows that these people have zero drive, zero motivation, zero sesire to move up... the just want to sit in the same place doing the same shit but expect everyone to give them a life.

Fuck that noise, go earn your life. No one owes you shit.