Author Topic: Minimum Wage Question for all  (Read 614 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Minimum Wage Question for all
« on: September 07, 2014, 07:39:07 AM »
What standard of living should a person/family working for minimum wage be able to afford in your mind?

Part of the argument for raising the minimum wage is that people should be able to have a certain standard of life if working even for minimum wage.

So should they be able to afford a home? whats price?
Cars? how many? how much?
kids? how many?

I think part of the issue alot of people who dont support raising it is very similar to why alot of people dont support giving more in govt support to individuals. It is b/c alot of people that receive govt assitance have made horrible life decisions and they feel its not their responsibility to make up for other peoples shitty decisions.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Minimum Wage Question for all
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:46:58 AM »
perhaps it is the entitlement thing, sold by TV and other media.

Everyone believes they are entitled to a big house, nice car, big screen TV, iphone...

They don't realize that a skillset to work at Mcdonalds (a job that I held twice in my teenage years) can be learned in a day or two.  Doesn't require huge focus or investment or paying for your own training.  There are plenty of competitors and you can skip anytime with zero punishment from them.

Compare that to a doctor... he/she spends an actual 20 to 24 years in school, from pre-K to medical school, learning a skillset that .001% of the world possesses.  They jump thru crazy hoops to become a doctor, and deserve the kind of $ that is needed for big house and car. 

It's all of society, the entitlement thing.  this new generation.   it's why the conservative message of "work your ass off" is failing, why 4/6 of prez elections go dem and the other 2 are repub squeakers.

We're becoming a LIBERAL SOCIETY.  As repubs age and die off, there are WAY MORE libs coming up from youth. it's not going to be pretty, where we are in 20 years.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »
perhaps it is the entitlement thing, sold by TV and other media.

Everyone believes they are entitled to a big house, nice car, big screen TV, iphone...

They don't realize that a skillset to work at Mcdonalds (a job that I held twice in my teenage years) can be learned in a day or two.  Doesn't require huge focus or investment or paying for your own training.  There are plenty of competitors and you can skip anytime with zero punishment from them.

Compare that to a doctor... he/she spends an actual 20 to 24 years in school, from pre-K to medical school, learning a skillset that .001% of the world possesses.  They jump thru crazy hoops to become a doctor, and deserve the kind of $ that is needed for big house and car. 

It's all of society, the entitlement thing.  this new generation.   it's why the conservative message of "work your ass off" is failing, why 4/6 of prez elections go dem and the other 2 are repub squeakers.

We're becoming a LIBERAL SOCIETY.  As repubs age and die off, there are WAY MORE libs coming up from youth. it's not going to be pretty, where we are in 20 years.
I didnt ask for you to opine on the political leanings of society, I asked what standard of living a person working for minimum wage should be able to afford.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:31:39 AM »
The minimum standard.  A roof over their heads.  Basic transportation means (excluding public transport because one could easily own their own vehicle). 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:04:15 AM »
The minimum standard.  A roof over their heads.  Basic transportation means (excluding public transport because one could easily own their own vehicle). 
do you think they should be able to afford smart phones and have mulitple kids?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 09:30:31 AM »

Smart phones?  If they can afford it.
Multiple kids?  If they can afford it.

Obviously you will have more $$ left over from a minimum wage salary from a place like Macon, GA than you would in a place like LA. Also by saying "multiple" the number can vary.  A teenager earning minimum wage living with his parents can afford a smart phone because his bills overall each month are significantly reduced (if they even exist) since most likely his parents are paying for the house and utilities.

I don't think that anyone should be able to have kids if they are on gov't assistance.  I have stated in the past that not only do I think drug tests for welfare candidates should be required, but mandatory birth control methods should be implemented as well.  If you can't support yourself, you sure as shit don't need to be making more mouths to feed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »

I think their priorities are off.  But again, it's media and govt encouraging it.

They don't say "visit the library for more info", they say "download the new welfare/food stamp app".

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 10:58:35 AM »
Smart phones?  If they can afford it.
Multiple kids?  If they can afford it.

Obviously you will have more $$ left over from a minimum wage salary from a place like Macon, GA than you would in a place like LA. Also by saying "multiple" the number can vary.  A teenager earning minimum wage living with his parents can afford a smart phone because his bills overall each month are significantly reduced (if they even exist) since most likely his parents are paying for the house and utilities.

I don't think that anyone should be able to have kids if they are on gov't assistance.  I have stated in the past that not only do I think drug tests for welfare candidates should be required, but mandatory birth control methods should be implemented as well.  If you can't support yourself, you sure as shit don't need to be making more mouths to feed.
for purposes of this discussion lets limit the people we are talking about to adults who dont live at home and support themselves.

Of course teenagers will be able to afford more things since they dont have to pay for living expenses for the most part.

I totally agree with your stance on govt assistance and children

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 06:49:38 PM »
I think their priorities are off.  But again, it's media and govt encouraging it.

They don't say "visit the library for more info", they say "download the new welfare/food stamp app".

Excellent.  You bring up a great point here with this. 

(Gonna steal it, I admit.)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »
Excellent.  You bring up a great point here with this. 

(Gonna steal it, I admit.)

My nephews/nieces are pretty poor...  and they've been penalized at school (in 4th and 5th grade) because they can't do their homework on a computer.  They have one tablet in the house.  I try to let them work here, but it's a challenge. 

I can't imagine how bad it is in middle school.. or high school.

I remember spring of 1994, I *had* to type a report for senior year.  I was living in the trailer park, too poor for a computer/word processor.  I rode the school bus, so I couldn't stay after/come early to use school computer.  I had to use a friend's dad's computer - and really imposed on them, since computers were rarer back in 94.

Schools, tv, media... in this push for technology, they tell poor people they need to buy an iphone before they buy other things that should really come first.  A kid would rather have shoes with holes in them, then be the only kid without a smartphone.