Author Topic: R.I.P Richard Kiel  (Read 11971 times)

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
Re: R.I.P Richard Kiel
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 04:56:25 AM »
Good longevity for such a huge man.
O

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 06:59:43 AM »
RIP! He was a great villain.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 07:53:06 AM »
R.I.P. big guy for sure!
Relative to his size he had a long life.

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
Rip

:(

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 08:08:20 AM »
Ok you could say he's the only repeat henchman  ;)
May he rest in peace.  Grew up watching him in Bond films (the first movie I ever saw in theaters was a Bond film) but Jaws was not the only repeat villain.  Ernst Stavro Blofeld was as well.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Number 1) is James Bond's greatest nemesis. A terrorist mastermind who is in pursuit of obtaining power in hopes to take the world and change the face of history. He is the founder and leader of the infamous underground terrorist organization, SPECTRE, the Special Executive for Counterintelligience, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion. The worldwide criminal organization has been behind the events of three of the original Ian Fleming Bond novels and the Bond films including, "Dr. No", "From Russia With Love", "Thunderball", "You Only Live Twice", "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", and "Diamonds Are Forever".

According to the novel, Thunderball, Blofeld was born in May 28, 1908 (the same date to Ian Fleming's birthday) to a Polish father and Greek mother in Gdynia. During his time of education, he entered the University of Warsaw and studied political history and economics, then further education to the Warsaw Technical Institute where he studied engineering and radionics... http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0000302/bio

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 08:21:56 AM »
''Jackass''  :D

Ron Harrigan

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 08:26:13 AM »
He must have weighed at least 500 lbs in his prime.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 11:06:03 AM »
Broke leg at 74. My guess is a blood clot got loose. Hindsight would  have placed a mesh in the groin to catch clots. My sister in law broke her leg in her 60s and had the mesh placed.

RIP big man.

D-Cord

• Getbig II
  • ICD-10 code K62.2 sounds SO painful
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 01:05:02 PM »
From The Longest Yard

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
He had a car crash in the nineties:

www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29160096

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »
RIP Richard Kiel

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2014, 04:30:23 PM »
May he rest in peace.  Grew up watching him in Bond films (the first movie I ever saw in theaters was a Bond film) but Jaws was not the only repeat villain.  Ernst Stavro Blofeld was as well.

Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Number 1) is James Bond's greatest nemesis. A terrorist mastermind who is in pursuit of obtaining power in hopes to take the world and change the face of history. He is the founder and leader of the infamous underground terrorist organization, SPECTRE, the Special Executive for Counterintelligience, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion. The worldwide criminal organization has been behind the events of three of the original Ian Fleming Bond novels and the Bond films including, "Dr. No", "From Russia With Love", "Thunderball", "You Only Live Twice", "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", and "Diamonds Are Forever".

According to the novel, Thunderball, Blofeld was born in May 28, 1908 (the same date to Ian Fleming's birthday) to a Polish father and Greek mother in Gdynia. During his time of education, he entered the University of Warsaw and studied political history and economics, then further education to the Warsaw Technical Institute where he studied engineering and radionics... http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0000302/bio

True and good that you pointed it out, thanks!  It's also nice to see another Bond fan as well (doubtless there are many more here).  The first Bond film I ever saw was "Goldfinger" which I viewed aboard my fathers US Navy ship as a child in the sixties.  Dame Shirley Bassey's (still a babe) treatment of the theme song remains an all time gem.

Fleming also wrote the children's novel, "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang" which oddly enough in it's film version, I didn't like nearly as much as the Bond films.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2014, 05:09:02 PM »
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was the only non Bond film produced by EON Productions.  Cubby Broccoli did it as a favor to his old friend Ian Fleming.  He hired Walt Disney songwriters the Sherman Brothers to write the songs.  That is why many mistake the movie for a Disney Film.

TheShape.

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2014, 05:13:50 PM »
It's also nice to see another Bond fan as well (doubtless there are many more here). 
Super-fan reporting.

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »
''Jackass''  :D

That was a different guy. 

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2014, 06:13:42 PM »
My first Bond flick was Moonraker, so this huge man's image is planted firmly in my brain. I was nine. The guy was quite the sight for a young boy.

RIP

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »
RIP big man.

Bond films rule

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 04:43:14 AM »
Ok you could say he's the only repeat henchman  ;)

You only live twice, Mr. Bond!

"...His physical stature is frequently changing, due to his obsession with changing identities. In the novels, he was described as once a bodybuilder to which became nothing but fat towards his later years, even though he was still described as a tall, heavy man with a crew cut and dark pool eyes, his appearance changes however in his next two appearances where he lost weight, but his hair has turned long and silvery and has a repaired nose followed by a gold-capped tooth, and then lastly a bushy black moustache. In the films, he is always seen petting a white Persian cat but other physical traits, such as a scar over one eye, have been changed surgically by removal of that to cutting his earlobes, or surgically having gray hair.

Blofeld's tolerance of setback was notoriously short, and he frequently demonstrated displeasure with the failures of subordinates by murdering them, often using misdirection and sometimes using painful and unusual methods to carry out these executions, such as electrocuting a subordinate caught embezzling funds from SPECTRE just before the organization's "Thunderball" operation or collapsing a pathway beneath the feet of operative Helga Brandt so she would fall into a pool and devoured alive by a swarm of pirannha.

Consistently, to what event leads Bond straight to Blofeld or to his organization is usually met with Bond suceeding in disrupting or foiling Blofeld's plan, only for Blofeld to be frustrated after and prove he's hard to kill when confronting Bond. Frequently, escaping fatal situations of one sort or another, only to return and bedevil Bond years later in hopes to even out a settling score between the two of them. With the count of three appearances, plus two mentions in the novels and five film appearances (two of which he played a minor role) followed by an uncredited cameo, Ernst Stavro Blofeld remains to be James Bond's greatest, most dangerous, and pursuing nemesis of all time..."

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 04:53:11 AM »
True and good that you pointed it out, thanks!  It's also nice to see another Bond fan as well (doubtless there are many more here).  The first Bond film I ever saw was "Goldfinger" which I viewed aboard my fathers US Navy ship as a child in the sixties.  Dame Shirley Bassey's (still a babe) treatment of the theme song remains an all time gem.

Fleming also wrote the children's novel, "Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang" which oddly enough in it's film version, I didn't like nearly as much as the Bond films.

Are there many Bond fans here?  I would be surprised; a fan has seen every single Bond film--even the ones that came out before they were born.  Have you?  Most people have seen several but every single one?

Did you know that Dame Bassey is the only person to sing more than one Bond score?  She sang Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, and Moonraker.  If you are a fan like me then you already have the Best of Bond 30th Anniversary CD with all the Bond songs up to that time.  If you don't have it get the 50th anniversary collection now available.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Of-Bond-James-The/dp/B001FQHQRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410522731&sr=8-3&keywords=best+of+bond

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 06:09:41 AM »
R.I.P, Richard.

"Mr. Chambers, don't get on that ship. To Serve Man... it's... it's a cookbook!" :o

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2014, 06:47:01 AM »
Are there many Bond fans here?  I would be surprised; a fan has seen every single Bond film--even the ones that came out before they were born.  Have you?  Most people have seen several but every single one?

Did you know that Dame Bassey is the only person to sing more than one Bond score?  She sang Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, and Moonraker.  If you are a fan like me then you already have the Best of Bond 30th Anniversary CD with all the Bond songs up to that time.  If you don't have it get the 50th anniversary collection now available.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Of-Bond-James-The/dp/B001FQHQRI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1410522731&sr=8-3&keywords=best+of+bond

I have them on VHS, Laser Disc, DVD and am starting to acquire them on Blu Ray (but will pass on  the new 4K format as I am starting to feel like Tommy Lee Jones in the first M.I.B. flim, i.e., "...guess  I'll have to get the White Album again."

The Sean Connery led film, "Never Say Never" was a remake of "Thunderball".  There's more to that as well but I'm certain you already know! Good stuff, sir.  Thanks to all involved!

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2014, 07:51:44 AM »
yea what was the point in bringing connery back, making an independent Bond film which was just a remake and not able to use the theme and other aspects? I never got that idea...

I have them on VHS, Laser Disc, DVD and am starting to acquire them on Blu Ray (but will pass on  the new 4K format as I am starting to feel like Tommy Lee Jones in the first M.I.B. flim, i.e., "...guess  I'll have to get the White Album again."

The Sean Connery led film, "Never Say Never" was a remake of "Thunderball".  There's more to that as well but I'm certain you already know! Good stuff, sir.  Thanks to all involved!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »

Bay is impressed!  ;D

btw, do you still have a VHS or Laser Disc player?  Do they sell those? ???

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
Bay is impressed!  ;D

Well thank you!  That is very kind of you to say.

Yup.  I have several S-VHS tapes as well (playback on a "quasi-S-VHS" player is possible at a lower resolution) and my older brother in Oregon sent me his Laser Disc player (and a few titles!) when the two I had gave up the ghost.   

I am something of a fan of film having over a thousand in the aforementioned formats.  I have the classic film "The Egyptian" on laser and they still have not released in the US on Blu Ray or DVD. 

If I could find a place that could repair my players at a reasonable (to me) price I would gladly have them fixed.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »
Bay is impressed!  ;D

I have a boxed vhs machine in the closet that I never opened.  There are some things that will never be reissued in newer formats.