Author Topic: Obama's War(s)  (Read 34812 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Obama's War(s)
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
whatever strategy he has its better than yours ..you don't have a strategy either

Dude.  How ridiculous is that?  I'm not the president.  I haven't been presented with numerous options by the Pentagon, and failed to pick one.  I haven't been in front of a camera, as the leader of the free world, admitting that I'm incompetent. 

He doesn't have a strategy. 

I think the main reason for his failure to do what it takes to retake the territory seized by ISIS is it's likely going to require boots on the ground, which would destroy his "I ended the war in Iraq" lie. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
Dude.  How ridiculous is that?  I'm not the president.  I haven't been presented with numerous options by the Pentagon, and failed to pick one.  I haven't been in front of a camera, as the leader of the free world, admitting that I'm incompetent. 

He doesn't have a strategy. 

I think the main reason for his failure to do what it takes to retake the territory seized by ISIS is it's likely going to require boots on the ground, which would destroy his "I ended the war in Iraq" lie. 

that may be so....but obviously what he's doing now was one of the options he was given..so that destroys your argument...the president doesn't make strategy....he obviously is using one of the options the pentagon is giving him...so exactly HOW is he supposed to take back territory from ISIS if both you say you don't favor boots on the ground???

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2015, 04:41:22 PM »
that may be so....but obviously what he's doing now was one of the options he was given..so that destroys your argument...the president doesn't make strategy....he obviously is using one of the options the pentagon is giving him...so exactly HOW is he supposed to take back territory from ISIS if both you say you don't favor boots on the ground???

It isn't obvious that the president picked one of the options given to him by the Pentagon.  Maybe he did.  Maybe he didn't. 

I don't favor having any presence at all over there.  But that isn't reality, as I've said before.  We have to do whatever is necessary to stop a terrorist group from taking over Iraq, because the failure to do so could have damaging results at home and for our allies in the region. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »
It isn't obvious that the president picked one of the options given to him by the Pentagon.  Maybe he did.  Maybe he didn't. 

I don't favor having any presence at all over there.  But that isn't reality, as I've said before.  We have to do whatever is necessary to stop a terrorist group from taking over Iraq, because the failure to do so could have damaging results at home and for our allies in the region. 

of course its obvious...any action the president takes he is given a set of options first.....he then chooses which one suits his goals, and YES, his politics

use some critical thinking skills

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »
of course its obvious...any action the president takes he is given a set of options first.....he then chooses which one suits his goals, and YES, his politics

use some critical thinking skills

So you are saying the president has not, on multiple occasions, ignored the recommendations given to him by his military advisors? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: July 07, 2015, 10:26:55 AM »
How the heck is this man Commander in Chief?   :-\

Obama on ISIS Threat: "Ideologies Are Not Defeated With Guns, They Are Defeated By Better Ideas"
July 6, 2015

After consulting with military leaders at the Pentagon this afternoon President Obama held a press conference on the growing threat of ISIS. President Obama declared the United States "will never be at war with Islam." Obama also said, "ideologies are not defeated with guns but better ideas."

"We'll constantly reaffirm through words and deeds that we will never be at war with Islam," President Obama said Monday afternoon. "We are fighting terrorists who distort islam and its victims are mostly Muslims."

"This challenge of countering violent extremism is not simply a military effort," the president said. "Ideologies are not defeated with guns but better ideas and more attracting and more compelling vision."

PRESIDENT OBAMA: This broader challenge of countering violent extremism is not simply a military effort. Ideologies are not defeated with guns, they are defeated by better ideas and more attractive and more compelling vision. So the United States will continue to do our part by continuing to counter ISIL's hateful propaganda, especially online. We'll constantly reaffirm through words and deeds that we will never be at war with Islam. We are fighting terrorists who distort islam and its victims are mostly Muslims.

We're also going to partner with Muslim communities as they seek the prosperity and dignity they observe. And we're going to expect those communities to step up in terms of pushing back as hard as they can in conjunction with other people of good will against these hateful ideologies, particularly when it comes to what we're teaching young people.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/07/06/obama_on_isis_threat_ideologies_are_not_defeated_with_guns_they_are_defeated_by_better_ideas.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2015, 12:17:06 PM »
How the heck is this man Commander in Chief?   :-\

RINOs lack the balls to impeach.   #fact

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2015, 12:20:24 PM »
RINOs lack the balls to impeach.   #fact

Fact:

The board's biggest liberal here to provide cover for liberals.  It's a full-time job.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: July 07, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »
Fact:

seriously man, it's sad that I matter to you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: July 07, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »

What I'm trying to say is that every time something unflattering or negative is said about a liberal, you pipe in to try and deflect attention away from liberals.  The DNC should put you on their payroll. 

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »

;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
Army chief Odierno, in exit interview, says US could have ‘prevented’ ISIS rise
By Jennifer Griffin, Lucas Tomlinson
Published July 22, 2015
FoxNews.com

EXCLUSIVE: The Army’s top officer told Fox News Tuesday it’s “frustrating” to watch the gains he helped achieve in Iraq disintegrate at the hands of the Islamic State, saying in an exit interview that the chaos now unfolding “might have been prevented” had the U.S. stayed more engaged.

Army Chief of Staff Gen. Ray Odierno, weeks away from retirement after 39 years in uniform, spent more time in Iraq than any other U.S. Army general -- more than four years, the last two as top commander. He is widely viewed as a key architect of the Iraq surge.

In an exclusive interview with Fox News, the general tackled a range of topics, from the Iran nuclear deal to the deep cuts to U.S. Army troop levels. But Odierno had pointed words on the rise of ISIS in Iraq and Syria – suggesting it didn’t have to be this way.

“It's frustrating to watch it,” Odierno said. “I go back to the work we did in 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010 and we got it to a place that was really good. Violence was low, the economy was growing, politics looked like it was heading in the right direction.”

Odierno said the fall of large parts of Iraq was not inevitable, reiterating concerns about the pace of the U.S. troop withdrawal there.

“If we had stayed a little more engaged, I think maybe it might have been prevented,” he said. “I've always believed the United States played the role of honest broker between all the groups and when we pulled ourselves out, we lost that role.”

In 2009, while still the top commander in Iraq, Odierno recommended keeping 30,000-35,000 U.S. troops after the end of 2011, when the U.S. was scheduled to pull out. The recommendation was not followed.

“I think it would have been good for us to stay,” Odierno said, when asked if it was a mistake to pull out.

Further, when ISIS took over large portions of Iraq last year including its second-largest city, Mosul, the White House apparently didn’t reach out to the Army officer who had spent more time commanding U.S. forces than anyone else.

“All my work was given to [Joint Chiefs] Chairman [Martin] Dempsey,” Odiernio said. “I never talked directly to the president about it at that time, but I talked to the secretary of defense and I'm sure he relayed all of my thoughts,” he added.

Odierno, though, is most worried about the deep cuts to the Army over the past four years – from 570,000 troops in 2010 to near 490,000 today, a reduction of 14 percent. And the cuts are getting deeper. 

“In my mind, we don't have the ability to deter. The reason we have a military is to deter conflict and prevent wars. And if people believe we are not big enough to respond, they miscalculate,” Odierno said.

Earlier this month, the Army announced an additional cut of 40,000 troops, which would take the Army down to 450,000 soldiers -- or pre-9/11 levels -- the result of a decision taken two years ago.

"I believed at the time we could do that,” said Odierno. “But I said we were on the razor’s edge that we could actually do our mission at 450.”

He added: “Two years ago, we didn’t think we had a problem in Europe. … [Now] Russia is reasserting themselves. We didn’t think we’d have a problem again in Iraq and ISIS has emerged.

“So, with Russia becoming more of a threat, with ISIS becoming more of a threat, in my mind, we are on a dangerous balancing act right now with capability.”

“When we go to 450, we are going to have to stop doing something," said Odierno.

As for what message these cuts send to adversaries of the United States, Odierno said: “I believe they question whether we will be able to respond and so they're willing to take maybe a bit more risk than they might have just a few years ago.”

While Odierno says he supports the recently announced nuclear deal with Iran, he warned that Iran will not change its behavior in the region.

“Iran has continued to do malign activities throughout the Middle East [and] they will continue,” warned Odierno, who blamed Iran for contributing to the unraveling of Iraq and the rise of ISIS.

Dempsey recently told Congress that Iran was responsible for roughly 500 American deaths, an estimate Odierno did not dispute.

Odierno said of Iran: “We can't be naďve.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07/22/exclusive-army-chief-odierno-in-exit-interview-says-us-could-have-prevented/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
Top general: U.S. should consider boots on ground in Iraq
By Barbara Starr and Jim Sciutto, CNN
Wed August 12, 2015

Washington (CNN)The top Army general said Wednesday that the U.S should consider embedding soldiers in Iraq if the battle against ISIS doesn't improve.

"If we find in the next several months that we aren't making progress, we should absolutely consider embedding some soldiers (in Iraq)," Gen. Raymond Odierno, outgoing Army chief of staff, said in response to a CNN question about putting troops on the ground in Iraq and Syria at his final press conference. He called it an "option we should present to the President."

But he stopped short of making the same suggestion in Syria.

"Syria is different," he said.

Odierno rejected the idea, however, of the U.S. taking over the fight against ISIS: "I absolutely believe the region has to solve this problem. The U.S. can't solve this."

He later suggested breaking up Iraq and Syria could be part of the solution. "My assessment would be it will be difficult to have a Syria that looks like it did before."

The general also said that had the U.S. not withdrawn all troops from Iraq in 2011, "we may not have been where we are now," while also noting that the withdrawal was negotiated under President George W. Bush.

It was left to President Barack Obama to seal the deal on the pace of the withdrawal and any residual troops, eventually pulling all of them out. He has since steadfastly opposing sending more troops back to Iraq.

The position has been a focus of attacks from Republican candidates, who have called for more aggressive action against ISIS.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush offered a sharp critique of Obama's ISIS strategy Tuesday night, saying that he would embed U.S. troops with Iraqi forces.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/12/politics/iraq-raymond-odierno-army-general-ground-troops/index.html

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2015, 01:27:27 PM »
Top general: U.S. should consider boots on ground in Iraq
By Barbara Starr and Jim Sciutto, CNN
Wed August 12, 2015

Washington (CNN)The top Army general said Wednesday that the U.S should consider embedding soldiers in Iraq if the battle against ISIS doesn't improve.

"If we find in the next several months that we aren't making progress, we should absolutely consider embedding some soldiers (in Iraq)," Gen. Raymond Odierno, outgoing Army chief of staff, said in response to a CNN question about putting troops on the ground in Iraq and Syria at his final press conference. He called it an "option we should present to the President."

But he stopped short of making the same suggestion in Syria.

"Syria is different," he said.

Odierno rejected the idea, however, of the U.S. taking over the fight against ISIS: "I absolutely believe the region has to solve this problem. The U.S. can't solve this."

He later suggested breaking up Iraq and Syria could be part of the solution. "My assessment would be it will be difficult to have a Syria that looks like it did before."

The general also said that had the U.S. not withdrawn all troops from Iraq in 2011, "we may not have been where we are now," while also noting that the withdrawal was negotiated under President George W. Bush.
It was left to President Barack Obama to seal the deal on the pace of the withdrawal and any residual troops, eventually pulling all of them out. He has since steadfastly opposing sending more troops back to Iraq.

The position has been a focus of attacks from Republican candidates, who have called for more aggressive action against ISIS.

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush offered a sharp critique of Obama's ISIS strategy Tuesday night, saying that he would embed U.S. troops with Iraqi forces.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/12/politics/iraq-raymond-odierno-army-general-ground-troops/index.html

This statement ends ONCE AND FOR ALL the notion that it was Obama's fault in terms of pulling the troops out

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2015, 01:29:56 PM »
This statement ends ONCE AND FOR ALL the notion that it was Obama's fault in terms of pulling the troops out

but but but but neocons/chickenhawks on getbig claim obama failed by "not redoing Bush's agreement".

They think there was a wink/nod that obama would undo the Bush agreement.  They're essentially pissed off that obama followed thru on bush's arrangement.

They're going to bitch no matter what.  It's why they chose a loser in 2008, a loser in 2012, and will probably just decide to let a democrat like Trump woo them in 2016. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2015, 01:35:57 PM »

No it doesn't.  Obama was supposed to negotiate a new SOFA and failed to do so. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »
No it doesn't.  Obama was supposed to negotiate a new SOFA and failed to do so. 
'

link?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2015, 03:10:45 PM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
www.Google.com

hahaha you're a fail.   Worst response ever.  You just made up that shit about 'was supposed to redo bush's deal'.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2015, 03:23:15 PM »
hahaha you're a fail.   Worst response ever.  You just made up that shit about 'was supposed to redo bush's deal'.

LOL!  Now this is the funniest thing I've read all day.  Thank you.  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »
LOL!  Now this is the funniest thing I've read all day.  Thank you.  :)

my pleasure.

now seriously, it's a pretty big accusation to say obama didn't renegotiate a Bush deal like he was supposed to, without linking it.   You've said it over and over, he was supposed to. 

I just want to see a link to it, and you cannot or will not provide one.

For that, you won't be getting a Christmas card this year from me, buddy.  And if you're ever in my hood, there will be no invite for cold lemonade.  You accuse our president of something, you should back it up with a link.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »
my pleasure.

now seriously, it's a pretty big accusation to say obama didn't renegotiate a Bush deal like he was supposed to, without linking it.   You've said it over and over, he was supposed to. 

I just want to see a link to it, and you cannot or will not provide one.

For that, you won't be getting a Christmas card this year from me, buddy.  And if you're ever in my hood, there will be no invite for cold lemonade.  You accuse our president of something, you should back it up with a link.

Nah.  Do your own homework troll.  You liberal lackeys crack me up sometimes.  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2015, 03:30:16 PM »
Nah.  Do your own homework troll.  You liberal lackeys crack me up sometimes.  :)

everyone reading this knows you can't back it up with a link or you would have jumped on it, in a chance to prove me wrong.

everyone reading this is looking at their screen saying, "wow, beach bum is probably the type of guy who falsely accuses presidents of things, while eating peanut butter".

But you deny it, saying you don't even like peanut butter.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2015, 03:34:59 PM »
everyone reading this knows you can't back it up with a link or you would have jumped on it, in a chance to prove me wrong.

everyone reading this is looking at their screen saying, "wow, beach bum is probably the type of guy who falsely accuses presidents of things, while eating peanut butter".

But you deny it, saying you don't even like peanut butter.

Anyone reading this, who has been reading the board for a while, knows (a) you are a lying liar, (b) I rarely engage in substantive discussions with you, and (c) information about the SOFA is all over the internet. 

Go educate yourself.  You need it.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »
Anyone reading this, who has been reading the board for a while, knows (a) you are a lying liar, (b) I rarely engage in substantive discussions with you, and (c) information about the SOFA is all over the internet. 

Go educate yourself.  You need it.   

you sound like the type of guy rooting for the patriots tonight, amirite?  Can always see your type a mile away.