Author Topic: Do you drink protein shakes?  (Read 6895 times)

Ledd

• Getbig III
Do you drink protein shakes?
« on: February 12, 2006, 02:53:30 PM »
I have never finished a container of protein before, I cant stand the taste.  I eat as soon as I can after I lift but I wonder if my body would be better off still if I just swallowed them down regardless.  Another thought was protein bars, can these be used supplement the shakes?  How essential do you guys think shakes are?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: Do you drink protein shakes?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 03:26:04 PM »
I agree, most shakes taste like crap, but there are some that are better then others, but nothing that makes you go "oh baby, that was good."

Even so, shakes have there place, and I think post training they should always be taken to get protein into your system very rapidly... which is something whole food can not do.

The easiest protein to get down for me ABB vanilla mixed w/red Gatorade. Probably sounds kind of gross, but it taste comparable to a smoothie...that's comparable, not exactly.

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 04:31:17 PM »
ON whey is a good choice, it comes in six flavors, mixes well, is affordable, and actually tastes decent even with just water.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 06:27:32 PM »
Do it the old fashioned way....whole milk, whole eggs, and ice cream ;)
just not good enough

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 06:31:01 PM »
ON whey is a good choice, it comes in six flavors, mixes well, is affordable, and actually tastes decent even with just water.
Any suggestions on the flavor?

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 06:32:59 PM »
Do it the old fashioned way....whole milk, whole eggs, and ice cream ;)
I could try that but does this method travel to muscle tissue comparable to a whey shake?

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »
I have never finished a container of protein before, I cant stand the taste.  I eat as soon as I can after I lift but I wonder if my body would be better off still if I just swallowed them down regardless.  Another thought was protein bars, can these be used supplement the shakes?  How essential do you guys think shakes are?

You say you love deads but you can't finish a protein shake.

Then you shouldn't be in the lifting game

TestDummy

• Getbig IV
  • 5%
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 11:13:21 PM »
I think the shakes are imprtant because you need that protein right after you lift, I drink a shake after or sometimes during and after every workout and eat the bars during the day, but if you want a good taste get muscle milk, I can drink these all day bro.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 05:57:30 AM »
You say you love deads but you can't finish a protein shake.

I can finish a shake, but I cant choke it down day after day and definitly not multiple times a day.  It gets to the point that I feel nauseas for the following hour.

Then you shouldn't be in the lifting game
Yeah because you only gain mass and strength when you drink shakes right?  And by the way I am just a recreational lifter, I never will compete and I dont need to be 250lbs with 5% bodyfat.

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 10:33:16 AM »
at trueprotein.com http://66.63.171.49/store/home.asp you can customize which proteins and at what ratios you get with your order

bigtmoney

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 12:08:43 PM »
Muscle Milk Banna Creme is the best tasting protein shake I've ever tried.

Tailz

• Getbig II
  • Are you bullet proof? THEN STFU!
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 01:10:02 PM »
Any suggestions on the flavor?

Cookies n Cream  taste a little buttery like fresh cookies with cream and thats with water...

Traps Hoolihan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 01:58:34 PM »
Any thing Muscle Milk is good!

gettinswole

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 02:48:18 PM »
   moca joe is my favorite, taste too good.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 04:32:34 PM »
I always have a shaker w/whey protein & a cup of Gatorade pre mixed just before going to the gym & ready for right after i finish my routine.The muscles are just starving for nutrients right after training & doing that w/the shake & then eating about an hour later has really helped w/recuperation of the muscles in my own workouts.If I can't really handle the taste of some protein powders I just chug them down anyway.Damn taste can't kill you now can it?

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2006, 05:02:03 PM »
     Hey Ledd, it is important to have whey and dextrose after training. And Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey is probably the best combo of flavor and value.
    I use the vanilla and tropical punch flavors, as these are the best tasting with Powerade or Gatorade, or with water first thing in the morning.
    Post workout, I like 2 scoops of tropical punch whey and 3 scoops of mountain berry powerade in a shaker, and I add water in the gym. Also the vanilla whey with tropical punch powerade is very good too. They both tatse like fruit smoothies.
    A spermarket chain here in Columbus, Krogers, has powdered Powerade on sale for $2.99 a tub about once a month, and I buy a couple of both flavors. Each tub will have about 11 srvings of 3 scoops, which has 54 grams of sugar, mostly dextrose. And it costs less than 30 cents per shake, so that's what I use. You can use Gatorade, or maybe even Kool-Aid. I guess bulk food stores usually sell 2lb or bags of dextrose powder, but I like the taste combos that I use, and it's not that expensive.
      ON 100% whey can be bought online for somewher between $25-$30 online for 5lb jugs, so it is much more economical to use a shaker, and make your own post- workout shakes.

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2006, 05:20:15 PM »
Damn taste can't kill you now can it?
True that.

But what do you guys think about post number 4?  Eggs, whole milk, and ice cream?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2006, 10:04:59 PM »
True that.
But what do you guys think about post number 4?  Eggs, whole milk, and ice cream?
Probably wouldn’t' hurt for putting on size, but I like to keep my diet a little cleaner. Plus, although it does have a fair amount of protein it is not going to get in your system as quick as whey does in your post training shake.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2006, 10:20:54 PM »
True that.

Yeah man, I was kinda joking.  ;D  But it can work for you, ONLY if you're an extreme ectomorph and HARD GAINER....otherwise, the only thing that'll be growing is going to be your waistline.

Good luck.  8)
just not good enough

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2006, 10:32:28 PM »
Yeah man, I was kinda joking.  ;D  But it can work for you, ONLY if you're an extreme ectomorph and HARD GAINER....otherwise, the only thing that'll be growing is going to be your waistline.
Good luck.  8)
Word

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 04:44:22 AM »
i only drink casein proteinshake before bed since it break down slower than whey which is good during the night
after the gym i eat regular food. which works as good or better.
as for taste, try to mix it with milk, might taste better. or try casein instead of whey. or try a different brand or different taste, sometimes chocolate sucks and strawbarry is good or vice versa.
but i dont think whey taste much and with more water it will taste even less and it's quick to drink
Z

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2006, 02:16:58 PM »
taste means nothing in this world.
bodybuildersreality.com

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2006, 03:06:22 PM »
taste means nothing in this world.
Word!

Eat for muscle enhancement :)

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2006, 07:12:54 PM »
Get Isopure Fruity flavors for you're fruity ass.  They taste good and are good quality.

(I use isopure chocolate cuz it's cheaper, and I'm not a fruit).

;)

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2006, 09:30:01 PM »
i only drink casein proteinshake before bed since it break down slower than whey which is good during the night
after the gym i eat regular food. which works as good or better.
as for taste, try to mix it with milk, might taste better. or try casein instead of whey. or try a different brand or different taste, sometimes chocolate sucks and strawbarry is good or vice versa.
but i dont think whey taste much and with more water it will taste even less and it's quick to drink

What are some good tasting brands for casein?