Author Topic: Steroids and cognitive deficits  (Read 3788 times)

foodie

Steroids and cognitive deficits
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:52:26 AM »
http://www.jbc.org/content/281/35/25492.short

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0376871612004498

Cliffs:
(1) Supraphysiological testosterone levels induces brain cell death
(2)Long term (> 2 years) AAS use results in reduced visuospatial memory

So the question is, anyone know bodybuilders (or yourself) who have had negative mental changes as a result of AAS use? Anectodally, I know some guys who are fine, but there are also those rambling incoherent 50+ yr old juicers (but maybe they were incoherent to begin with)

MrTren

• Getbig I
Re: Steroids and cognitive deficits
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:26:02 PM »
I would wonder if teens would be the most susceptible to this due to brains still maturing?

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »
Well personally I've noticed increase in cognition, so the contrary. However I am also medically meant to be on HRT...but obviously I take bodybuilding blast doses too on top of HRT.

I've noticed increase in reflexes, thinking, confidence, quick response, you name it. Aggression if anything is the one thing I do not get (contrary to the roid rage mania of the media and government). I'm more focused, more determined, the works.

My memory has not faltered either thank God, so I dunno... I think some boneheads are just boneheads to begin with so... so if they cant' talk or think, hardly the case to blame it on steroids and blame it on being a 'meat head'

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:56:01 AM »
I was going to post something, but then I fucking forgot what I was gonna say...

EurasianAesthetics

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:47:24 AM »
I honestly have noticed a mild reduction in my cognition.

kevthekid

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:55:25 AM »
I'm 18 and I've noticed a small reduction in my cognition. I'll mess up on very easy problems for class, and I'll tell myself I need to do something like grab a coffee before I get in the car or print off my term paper before I leave for class and I forget.

DAGON666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • FALLING ANGEL
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »
Well personally I've noticed increase in cognition, so the contrary. However I am also medically meant to be on HRT...but obviously I take bodybuilding blast doses too on top of HRT.

I've noticed increase in reflexes, thinking, confidence, quick response, you name it. Aggression if anything is the one thing I do not get (contrary to the roid rage mania of the media and government). I'm more focused, more determined, the works.

My memory has not faltered either thank God, so I dunno... I think some boneheads are just boneheads to begin with so... so if they cant' talk or think, hardly the case to blame it on steroids and blame it on being a 'meat head'

Well Spoken....I experience the same shit & a few other things. Spot on reply for some of us!

Pumpzilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:41:13 PM »
Taking prednisone again.

Where am I?

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:22:14 PM »
I think I might be affected slightly. Sometimes I forget words or the names of places or names of people a lot of the times a simple word will be right on the tip of my tongue. I've also been knocked unconscious a solid 3-4 times. It took me awhile to wake up. I also played football up until 21 so I may have suffered some brain damage. And I also abused a lot of drugs growing up. A lot of weed and hallucinogens.

I have a full time job and I'm also a student so it hasn't affected me too negatively I do have a harder time studying though.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 04:35:15 AM »
I think I might be affected slightly. Sometimes I forget words or the names of places or names of people a lot of the times a simple word will be right on the tip of my tongue. I've also been knocked unconscious a solid 3-4 times. It took me awhile to wake up. I also played football up until 21 so I may have suffered some brain damage. And I also abused a lot of drugs growing up. A lot of weed and hallucinogens.

I have a full time job and I'm also a student so it hasn't affected me too negatively I do have a harder time studying though.
The symptoms you describe could very well be from concussion or the abuse of rec drugs but have you ever been tested for sleep apnea ?

This here

Sometimes I forget words or the names of places or names of people a lot of the times a simple word will be right on the tip of my tongue

Is also a symptom of poor sleep and people with apnea before treatment quite often show this - as you are on a BB forum (so have developed muscles and weigh more than average) and use AAS then you are a higher risk for apnea.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 01:29:35 PM »
The symptoms you describe could very well be from concussion or the abuse of rec drugs but have you ever been tested for sleep apnea ?

This here

Is also a symptom of poor sleep and people with apnea before treatment quite often show this - as you are on a BB forum (so have developed muscles and weigh more than average) and use AAS then you are a higher risk for apnea.

I sleep like shit! Could be part of it.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 07:38:02 PM »
I find I can concentrate much easier, can still learn new things and retain facts as good or better then when I was a teen, I've been in and off gear since I was 19, im 33 now so I can't see anything changing apart from naturaly slowing down with age

Mega Man

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 07:55:40 PM »
I've read articles that middle-aged men are starting to do trt to be able to compete at the work place with younger and sharper men. It improves cognitive function and confidence which also helps making better decisions.

Harvard Medical also thinks so....

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/testosterone-and-memory