Author Topic: Obama sending 3000 troops to Africa to combat ebola  (Read 5220 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Obama sending 3000 troops to Africa to combat ebola
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:16:35 AM »
US to send 3,000 troops to Ebola danger zone [Boots for Ebola, none to battle ISIS]
Daily Mail ^ | 9/15/14 | By David Martosko
Posted on September 16, 2014 at 2:42:15 AM MST by SoFloFreeper

The United States government is sending thousands of military troops to the west African nation of Liberia as part of the Obama administration's Ebola virus-response strategy, the White House said late Monday night.

....'A general from U.S. Army Africa, the Army component of U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM), will lead this effort, which will involve an estimated 3,000 U.S. forces.'

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: Obama sending 3000 troops to Africa to combat ebola
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 05:38:37 AM »
Why bother. Its not our problem.
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 05:59:38 AM »
is it pretty much "containment"?   

Make sure that all the infected people stay in one spot, let them deal with it, survive or die... but for the most part, just make sure they don't go lay down and die in the next villiage's water supply?   Or make sure the dead aren't hugged and kissed by their loved ones, who then go home and hug everyone else? 

Sometimes, due to ignorance and potential danger, you HAVE to get involved.  It's NOT an airborne disease, but it could evolve that way.  And even just as it is, it spreads and could seriously disrupt global economy, even just from a minor panic. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:06:33 AM »
Boots on the ground in africa - none vs terrorists

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 06:12:32 AM »
is it pretty much "containment"?   

Make sure that all the infected people stay in one spot, let them deal with it, survive or die... but for the most part, just make sure they don't go lay down and die in the next villiage's water supply?   Or make sure the dead aren't hugged and kissed by their loved ones, who then go home and hug everyone else? 

Sometimes, due to ignorance and potential danger, you HAVE to get involved.  It's NOT an airborne disease, but it could evolve that way.  And even just as it is, it spreads and could seriously disrupt global economy, even just from a minor panic. 

Do the American people want to deal the all of the politics, violence and superstition from that part of the world?  It's more trouble than its worth. We don't need troops there. Send doctors and administrators.  Eventually we are going to use some form of force and I'd prefer not to be inundated by articles from whiny journalist about the evils of american colonialism.
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 06:23:15 AM »
Do the American people want to deal the all of the politics, violence and superstition from that part of the world?  It's more trouble than its worth. We don't need troops there. Send doctors and administrators.  Eventually we are going to use some form of force and I'd prefer not to be inundated by articles from whiny journalist about the evils of american colonialism.

i could give a shit what whiny journalists say.  so that part doesn't bug me.

and this is NOT about helping them.  It's about preventing the spread from reaching US.  We stayed out of the way until this became a giant mess they can't control.  Once it starts spreading, even if Americans don't catch it, our economy will suffer from the panic.

It's NOT more trouble than it's worth.  You have 3000 americans, guarding roads and maybe beating down a few people that try to sneak out.... and it keeps 10 or 15 MILLION refugees from going wild, sneaking out, spreading it, etc.   To me, this is something that nobody can criticize.  President romney would be shutting it down too.  You CANT have that crap spreading to europe and asia on a major scale.   And I'm fine if we use "some kind of force" if they disobey their state rule saying you can't leave right now.  Continental quarantine would have been a GREAT thing with some past plagues... and that's BEFORE the air/sea travel we have today. 

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 06:58:43 AM »
Boots on the ground in africa - none vs terrorists

Right, ignore context or the fact that the terrorists are actively trying to kill people I think it's a much safer decision. You are incredibly dumb.

One is war, the other disease based, of course you would treat them as the same, it's obviously comparing apples to apples right? you are a lawyer? not fucking likely.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 07:12:36 AM »
What a mess

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 07:13:24 AM »
Right, ignore context or the fact that the terrorists are actively trying to kill people I think it's a much safer decision. You are incredibly dumb.

One is war, the other disease based, of course you would treat them as the same, it's obviously comparing apples to apples right? you are a lawyer? not fucking likely.

Green Berets need to shoot islamic rag heads not treat africans for a disease

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 07:38:42 AM »
Green Berets need to shoot islamic rag heads not treat africans for a disease

are we TREATING them?  Or containing a bunch of sick/dying people so they don't escape and spread it to US waters?

If we have 3000 green berets treating sick people, yes, I agree, that's crap.  But is that the case? 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:44:05 AM »
Yeah...you really think we're going to be allowed to contain anything? How about the UN send in somebody else.....or fuck let them all die. I'm told that Islamists pose no threat to the US...this appears to be the same thing.
L

Bear232

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 09:17:02 AM »
i could give a shit what whiny journalists say.  so that part doesn't bug me.

and this is NOT about helping them.  It's about preventing the spread from reaching US.  We stayed out of the way until this became a giant mess they can't control.  Once it starts spreading, even if Americans don't catch it, our economy will suffer from the panic.

It's NOT more trouble than it's worth.  You have 3000 americans, guarding roads and maybe beating down a few people that try to sneak out.... and it keeps 10 or 15 MILLION refugees from going wild, sneaking out, spreading it, etc.   To me, this is something that nobody can criticize.  President romney would be shutting it down too.  You CANT have that crap spreading to europe and asia on a major scale.   And I'm fine if we use "some kind of force" if they disobey their state rule saying you can't leave right now.  Continental quarantine would have been a GREAT thing with some past plagues... and that's BEFORE the air/sea travel we have today. 

Sort of like how we control our southern border? sarcasm mode on.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Yeah...you really think we're going to be allowed to contain anything? How about the UN send in somebody else.....or fuck let them all die. I'm told that Islamists pose no threat to the US...this appears to be the same thing.
Seriously, what are they going to do? Stand there while the diseased walk by them? Theyre not going to let them use force to contain them, its just another political shit show..... theyre going to hand out band aids and water to diseased africans.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »

Are you still a doctor? You have 3-4 that came back with the virus how many of the 3000 that may get exposed will bring it back here? Do you really think that won't happen? lol

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »

Ah yes...the fake doctor.

Why don't you go if you feel so strong about it.  Show them how medicine is really done.

You Canadians have never really contributed shit to the world anyway.  Go do some good for once.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 02:28:09 PM »
Seriously, what are they going to do? Stand there while the diseased walk by them? Theyre not going to let them use force to contain them, its just another political shit show..... theyre going to hand out band aids and water to diseased africans.

That's what I'm thinking.  It's not a big issue per se, and always good to help where we can, but probably more suited as a UN mission.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »
Are you still a doctor? You have 3-4 that came back with the virus how many of the 3000 that may get exposed will bring it back here? Do you really think that won't happen? lol

Ya I treat ebola daily ::), but if you would like some actual info and not your liberal rage goggles then have at er. Ebola doesn't spread very well, it's not airborned and it's resovoirs are easily avoided (bats, monkeys aka bushmeat) and it incapacitates and kills very quickly. This means people don;t often get up and walk around, the virus is a shitty one from the perspective of a virus, it kills the host rapidly. So with proper precautions (we have sent many aide workers there before) the likelyhood of infection is very low. Also, you seem to think alot of people are dying from this, currently it's bad, the worst it has been, however, it has only killed a couple thousand before that, in the 2gs I believe.go fuck yourself

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »
yeah, it laughed when i read this and walked away, it was so silly haha.

Yes, we VERY MUCH prefer that a few thousand marines with rifles guarding a town "maybe" are exposed while gunning down escaping idiots at 100 yards, seeing as any knowledge of this disease isn't relevant for a discussion on it.

See, we'd prefer that over a bunch of infected idiots carrying their dead/dying/diseased loved ones thru the streets and carrying this disease elsewhere.

The belief that it's better for the USA to let the diseased areas completely monitor/quarantine themseves, over trained/protected military with distance and planning... well, in 10 years, it's the silliest thing I've ever read on getbig lol. 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 06:50:51 PM »
yeah, it laughed when i read this and walked away, it was so silly haha.

Yes, we VERY MUCH prefer that a few thousand marines with rifles guarding a town "maybe" are exposed while gunning down escaping idiots at 100 yards, seeing as any knowledge of this disease isn't relevant for a discussion on it.

See, we'd prefer that over a bunch of infected idiots carrying their dead/dying/diseased loved ones thru the streets and carrying this disease elsewhere.

The belief that it's better for the USA to let the diseased areas completely monitor/quarantine themseves, over trained/protected military with distance and planning... well, in 10 years, it's the silliest thing I've ever read on getbig lol. 
Uh, hello, theyre not going to gun down anyone. They dont send Marines into diseased areas to shoot infected who break quarantine, these are always humanitarian missions where theyre handing out band aids and baby bottles to the sick dying.

Seriously 240 sometimes i wonder how you come up with some of this shit, because its obvious you literally have zero clue of how these things actually work, and isually are just going on 240 logic.

Theyll never, ever, ever let Marines shoot suffering civilians in a mission like this. Theyre going to have to stand around, smile and hold hands and give out aid. The public outcry of executing infected who broke quarantine would be devastating to the politicians public opinion, and theyll never let that happen.

Only way that would ever happen would be on US borders during an actual outbreak of something devastating. But sending troops to Africa? Its a political shit show.

Theyre going to stand around and if the diseased try to break  quarantine, the Marines will be ordered not to touch them and to let them go. Thats whatll happen.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:23 PM »
ya miss my point.   marines aren't there to shed tears over locals... they are there to make sure it doesn't spread to USA.

And if you truly think the Marines will stand quietly while 200 infected Ebola victims hop a boat to London, you're high lol.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 04:28:35 AM »
ya miss my point.   marines aren't there to shed tears over locals... they are there to make sure it doesn't spread to USA.

And if you truly think the Marines will stand quietly while 200 infected Ebola victims hop a boat to London, you're high lol.

I know right, they are fucking marines not aide workers, clearly they are there for containment.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 04:36:08 AM »

If the US government wanted to prevent the spread they would enact a moratorium on travel to and from the region.  If 200 ebola victims had the energy to hop a boat to London while melting internally it would be the responsibility of England and every other country they float past to deal with them.  Aid workers are more likely to spread the disease to the west than natives.
A

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 05:11:18 AM »
If the US government wanted to prevent the spread they would enact a moratorium on travel to and from the region.  If 200 ebola victims had the energy to hop a boat to London while melting internally it would be the responsibility of England and every other country they float past to deal with them.  Aid workers are more likely to spread the disease to the west than natives.

We probably don't have that kinda pull, to just shut down a region.

Rather, I think they know the "hot spots" for teh disease.  Shutting down a few roads quietly would keep the infected, their families, AND the aid workers on ice for a few days.  Just long enough to ensure the sick die and those with exposure let it pass in that small area.

We have 3000 men there.  They aren't doing "nothing" and they aren't "finger painting with ebola blood".  They're in the middle, and I bet it's what I described.  Common sense containment without a lot lot paperwork/mandates to piss people off.  Shutting down a few roads duringthe last plague could have saved millions of lives, and that was BEFORE air travel.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 05:19:43 AM »
We probably don't have that kinda pull, to just shut down a region.

Rather, I think they know the "hot spots" for teh disease.  Shutting down a few roads quietly would keep the infected, their families, AND the aid workers on ice for a few days.  Just long enough to ensure the sick die and those with exposure let it pass in that small area.

We have 3000 men there.  They aren't doing "nothing" and they aren't "finger painting with ebola blood".  They're in the middle, and I bet it's what I described.  Common sense containment without a lot lot paperwork/mandates to piss people off.  Shutting down a few roads duringthe last plague could have saved millions of lives, and that was BEFORE air travel.

If the United States doesn't have the pull to put a moratorium on travel we are essentially sunk. How on earth will sending three thousand troops to monitor the borders of Liberia do a damn bit of good.  There is no way every exit point from Liberia can be covered.  And there are going to be people in the early incubation stages of ebola who appear physically healthy and will be able to exit the country.
A

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 05:32:55 AM »
I know right, they are fucking marines not aide workers, clearly they are there for containment.
Having actually been a Marine, i can tell you with a fairly high level of certainty that theyll never fire a shot.

You guys clearly have zero clue how many times were deployed to crisis areas to do nothing but hand out humanitarian aid.

They wont start having suffering Africans shot up on primetime MSNBC.

Until they actually have a direct threat to US soil, they wont fire a shot. Theyll be there to 'contain', but if someone tries to break, theyll more than likely have to stand down and let them go.

You guys are operating under the massive, incorrect assumption that were allowed to do our jobs. Were not. Were put in these places as a 'presence', to try and scare these guys into doing the right thing, but thats it.

I know you guys want to think theyre a actually doing this with the proper motives and the right ideals, but its just another political shit show. I will almost guarantee it.