Author Topic: Jersey giant Johnnie Morant  (Read 50036 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: jersey giant johnnie morant
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2014, 11:06:14 AM »
It was Tom Jiminez.  A bantamweight from NY State trained there too named Troy and he was very good too.
yeah...some good memories /lists man thanks...my bro in law does a lot of work for vinny's wifes family 'electrician'and he also dealt with vinny's wife 'say's she's nicest person and her family...vinny's nephew competes now too,,middleweight ..

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #126 on: September 22, 2014, 11:19:10 AM »
Wasn't he a light heavyweight.

Thinking back, I believe you're right.  Perhaps I remember a smallish frame. Black dude.
a

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2014, 11:29:29 AM »
    Vinnie's wife, Sheila, is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.  She has never waived in her support of Vinnie.  I admire that in any spouse.  My wife doesn't like to see me fight, but she still supports me, even when I fight Brazilians (she is from Brasil).

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »
Craig competing in Houston.  I hope I downloaded the photo properly.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »
Craig competing in Houston.  I hope I downloaded the photo properly.
LEGS ARE AWESOME AS USUAL,DELTS..NEEDS TO GET RIGHT FIT WEIGHT WISE,DUDE GETS RIPPED ,,HE WAS TOP 10 IN THE OPEN MRO FORGOT WHAT YR?

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #130 on: September 22, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »
   The best Craig did in the open Mr. O was 13th.  How Jonnie Jackson beats him still puzzles me, especially when JJ is not spot on 100%.  I thought you needed wheels to get on stage.  Craig even has calves.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2014, 04:25:38 PM »
prime vinny ..

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #132 on: September 22, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »
Some more pics of Johnny

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #133 on: September 22, 2014, 04:45:51 PM »
 :)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: September 22, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »
I believe joe deangelis was originally from jersey.......great wheels!

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
   If one were to go down the list and examine year by year, just who won the Mr. NJ,  it would be quite the list.  Then, if you took that list and discovered how many guys who won the Mr. NJ  also won the Jr. USA and Jr. Nationals and then the USA and Nationals, it would be quite the testament to NJ bodybuilding. 
   One might have to concede that Rich Gaspari, having taken 2nd place at the Mr. O, was the most successful NJ bodybuilder.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2014, 06:34:57 PM »
I believe joe deangelis was originally from jersey.......great wheels!
yes..

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
     Back in the day, even the top 15 at the USA and Nationals was an incredible placing.  It was no coincidence that the guys who won their class at The Nationals were almost always immediately competitive as pros.  Did Mattarazzo and DeMayo dramatically change once they became pros? I didn't see too much of that.  When Levrone walked on stage at the Jr. USA or Jr. Nationals, did anyone have a doubt where he was soon heading?
    What I saw was guys committed to grueling workouts, each and every day, in small gyms that you could barely find, that had no carpets, no real air conditioning, dust filled machines, with very few "posers."  This was not limited to NJ.  California was producing mega tatlents as well.  Florida guys seemed to just party way too much and in my opinion, never really put it together for very long.
    I remember Mike Quinn livid over the obviously mistaken placing of his good friend at a show in Hackensack (I think it was the East Coast).  Quinn called out all the judges for a fight, including, and especially Maz Ali and Steve Weinberger.  Quinn told them he woudl be outside in the front waiting to personaly fight them.  I must admit, the excitement got to me and I waited outside to see it all unfold.  Let's just say that apparently, Bergen County Tech High School has a back door exit.

great story
thanks for sharing these Harley

ive always heard Weinberger is nothing but a bully

apparently he backed down when Nasser challenged him to a fight in the mid 90's- know anything about that?

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »
    I met Mike Quinn several times and he was very nice.  He guest posed at a show in the late 80's and was selling autographs and even posters.  I bought a black and white poster and asked him to sign it to me.  He did so very graciously and we spoke.
    I then went over to the Shawn Ray table and asked him, "If I buy a poster (yes, he too had a poster for sale) will you sign it for me?"  He said, "no."  I didn't buy the poster.
    I met Jim Quinn at Rutgers College in New Brunswick at the Jr. USA I think and we spoke for awhile.  I told him I was actualy attending Rutgers College and he told me to earn my degree and that bodybuilding was not something anyone should pursue on a professional level (not that I was).  He was very intent on telling me the value of staying in school and that there woudl always be time for the gym, but not to make it a career.

hahaha
yet another story confirming Shawn Ray the arrogant douchebag prima donna!

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2014, 08:54:49 PM »
  I represented a client whom I had already known since he was 14 years old and he had become personal friends with Nasser. 
  I don't know anything about a fight between Nasser and Steve Weinberger but my client used to invite me around when Nasser came by to NJ or NY.
  I can't say that my encounters with Nasser lead me to be able to tell any crazy stories but we did interact on more than one occasion and there were quite a few things that struck me about Nasser that I didn't get from most other bodybuilders.

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2014, 11:31:38 PM »
  I represented a client whom I had already known since he was 14 years old and he had become personal friends with Nasser. 
  I don't know anything about a fight between Nasser and Steve Weinberger but my client used to invite me around when Nasser came by to NJ or NY.
  I can't say that my encounters with Nasser lead me to be able to tell any crazy stories but we did interact on more than one occasion and there were quite a few things that struck me about Nasser that I didn't get from most other bodybuilders.

Harley
please share your observations and insights on Nasser that you thought were not typical for most other BB's?
was he one of the bigger pro's in person?

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2014, 03:42:01 AM »
 Nasser came out to uncle charlies with us guys from diamond back in mid 90,s when he guest posed at the jersey and he got bombed drinking shots,lol,he was a really cool guy imo
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2014, 04:44:57 AM »
 ;)  some great old school diamond gym pics from way way back

pictures of lucho,kemper,also the 81 east coast bodybuilding show in Irvington highschool with big vic szczerbinin and the legendery LEG DUNGEON in diamond gym
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2014, 04:48:35 AM »
 ;) more lucho,john and Shirley kemper in painting by boris, vic in diamond ect
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2014, 04:53:01 AM »
 ;)old chool diamond pic when it was still in Irvington befor it moved to Maplewood,lucho,kemper,vic and johnnie morant next to low pulley row in diamond,big nick lavitola(rip) nick was strong,he was often seen using over 800lbs on deep squats in the leg room :o,kemper down the shore with vic,his 2 daughters and wife Shirley.that pic on the wall of diamond gym with platz,padilla and franco,its in the pic with kemper,morant,vic and lucho,is still in that same spot some 30 yrs later,the wall of fame is eternal ;)
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2014, 04:57:10 AM »
 ;)more lucho,kemper and the awesome micheal Johnson in 1978,man look at the cross striations in lucho,s thighs in that pic :o
R

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
lets not forget mr world bill grant and mr universe jerry scalesse,2 very awesome bodybuilders.i think jerry might be from new York tho,close enough ;)
R

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2014, 03:57:36 PM »
Dear old-school-lifter,
   You asked me to share my thoughts on Nasser.  Again, I met him only a few times but here they are:
   Nasser immediately struck me as different from most bodybuilders in that he didn't need to announce he was the biggest man in the room, he just let nature speak for him.  But for his Leviathan physique, his quiet introverted nature would have caused him to become lost in the crowd.
   Somehow it came up that my sister was born in Germany and apparently, so was he.  I mentioned that I was born in Switzerland and then he took a curiosity as to what my parents were doing in Europe and how I became an American.  I explained to him that my Father survived being in Hitler's death camps and actually saw Hitler live, twice.  This fascinated Nasser and he asked me all about it. I told him my grandfather was shot at point blank range by a rife held by an SS member and left for dead.  When I told him my grandfather survived and wrote a book, he asked me if I could get him a copy.  I joked and said, "You read funny books for a coal-miner."  This is a line from W. Somerset Maugham's "The Razor's Edge" and when Nasser said he was familiar with Maugham, he immediately had my complete admiration.
   I asked Nasser how many languages he spoke and he joked, "That is a funny question for an American."  I told him my Dad spoke 11 languages and played 9 instruments and Nasser was astute enough to state that this is almost always a result of being born in a place in which nations conquer, merge and then dissolve. Nasser talked about the troubles that plagued Egypt but more so of Yugoslavia.  He seemed surprised that I even knew where it was.  I told Nasser I enjoy studying languages and culture and he laughed when I told him my Godparents live in Pakistan.  Ironically, we talked about the Sunni/Shiite issues.
     Nasser was a prodigious eater.  His plates of food were enormous.  I just don't understand how these guys can eat and digest all that food.
   Nasser laughed and made fun of guys and seemed to really despise the transparent people in bodybuilding.  He complained that there were many fake people and that they would lie to your face just to steal some money or drugs.  The topic of gay for pay came up and he heartily laughed at those who sold themselves like that.  I got the impression that while bodybuilding was important to him, it remained only part of his lifestyle.  He didn't seem to taken in by cars or fancy items, but rather, he seemed intrigued by anyone who claimed to know something about anything.  I got the impression that he was looking through you at first and then, if you had any real substance to you, he would look at you and speak with you.
   I found him soft-spoken, polite and intelligent.  I don't know who on GetBig hates or likes what bodybuilders but for me, Nasser stood out, both in physical stature and humble intellect.
Harley     

old-school-lifter

• Getbig IV
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2014, 04:02:50 PM »
dear Harley

thankyou very much for your insights and views on Nasser

a very candid and accurate summation of Nasser I think

the thinking man's BB

looks like you guys had many things in common- Nasser also had much interest in history, politics and sociology

HarleyBreite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »
   I taught college part-time for 9 years in the Sociology Department to help pay for my education.