Author Topic: Stock Market Traders (UK)  (Read 20980 times)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
Re: Stock Market Traders (UK)
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 08:13:14 PM »
Same geographical coverage as our firm, we mainly do Bonds (high yield) and Equities and Trade Claims.

Are most of your clients (buyers) in the Europe and US as well or do you have a strong base in SE Asia?

I know traders worth are pretty much weighed by their business lines.

US/Europe are about equal, then Russia, then Asia and South America.

It can be pretty brutal trading from Asia. I know prop firms in Singapore and Australia that are open 24 hours because traders feel most of the opportunities come from the time London opens till the New York close.  SPI Futures on ASX is less liquid that the DAX on Eurex - I think that sort of market requires a very specific set of skills and is something that would tear apart newer prop guys. If you put interns on interest rate futures, there's limited damage they can do - and I think they just end up sticking with that.

So even though we have futures markets out here, it seems everyone feels that Eurex and CME/CBOT/NYMEX et al offer better opportunities. I rarely look at any markets until the London open. Even Eurex that opens an hour before the London is dead for the fist hour most days till the London boys have at it. That suits me because it means I have the mornings to take the kids to school, get a coffee, go to the gym and reflect upon my miserable existence as a married man whose only pleasure is leering at the moms when I drop the kids off in my second rate beemer.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 12:26:40 AM »
US/Europe are about equal, then Russia, then Asia and South America.

It can be pretty brutal trading from Asia. I know prop firms in Singapore and Australia that are open 24 hours because traders feel most of the opportunities come from the time London opens till the New York close.  SPI Futures on ASX is less liquid that the DAX on Eurex - I think that sort of market requires a very specific set of skills and is something that would tear apart newer prop guys. If you put interns on interest rate futures, there's limited damage they can do - and I think they just end up sticking with that.

So even though we have futures markets out here, it seems everyone feels that Eurex and CME/CBOT/NYMEX et al offer better opportunities. I rarely look at any markets until the London open. Even Eurex that opens an hour before the London is dead for the fist hour most days till the London boys have at it. That suits me because it means I have the mornings to take the kids to school, get a coffee, go to the gym and reflect upon my miserable existence as a married man whose only pleasure is leering at the moms when I drop the kids off in my second rate beemer.

PMSL  ;D

A true Getbigger at heart.
S

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 01:45:01 AM »
I have a friend who trades oil from Europe.  Has to get up in the night to watch singapore even though nothing usually happens

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 08:59:42 AM »
I have a friend who trades oil from Europe.  Has to get up in the night to watch singapore even though nothing usually happens

There's a man who shouldn't be trading overnight positions.

I know a guy who had his trading machine by his bed. When he woke in the night, he'd get up and check on his positions.

It's an addiction.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
Well he obviously feels the need to do it. He is quite tactical and trades prop for a german utility.

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 02:05:17 AM »
One guy was very good, was an industry worker who went solo working from home investing his own money, guys like this can and do make a success of it (and BTW he was trading whilst dieting down to 4% bf and training, proper getbigger) drives a top notch Porsche and had just been entrusted with £50mil from a hedge fund to play with.

^Living the dream.

The others were muppets sold a dream....one NHS mum part time worker wanted to get into it, put in 6k....lost a 3rd already. Another doing it for 7yrs and always losing too, and a couple of guys who want the hiphop lifestyle and trade via rose tainted glasses, they seem to be doing ok though as the guy doing the trades is methodical in his approach and uses a more advanced approach than the other people just guessing it. an Oap group aswell lost 6k.

They covered day traders and spread betting...this is as high risk as it gets. they want to "trade" they get sold a packaged platform and given info on how to invest...but the latter is more complicated as they don't tend to give them right tools and access to really be at the front line and make decisions as quickly as hedge funds...etc.

I worked for a spread betting firm in the city, they arrange huge seminars and mock accounts for clients, I used to get complaints every week from people trying to state "unsuitable financial product sold"...etc to try and get compensation/recover lost money. Usually someone new to this, poured in 15k and in two weeks it disappeared, this was very common and the 15k loss amount also was very common.

Scary shit Scorpio
Mr. AZ 2003

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
There's a man who shouldn't be trading overnight positions.

I know a guy who had his trading machine by his bed. When he woke in the night, he'd get up and check on his positions.

It's an addiction.

paul jones apparently has a mirror in his bathroom with market prices on it.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 01:04:31 PM »
I kind of know a guy locally who made, well said he made, £20 million from one deal he brokered, although it did take him a year to sort it out. He def has plenty of dough, RR Phantom, house in Gerrards Cross, Bucks. House in Monte Carlo. Some vintage Ferrari. Etc.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 02:02:19 PM »
i know someone who is trying to arrange the financing of a top football club at the moment. if the deal goes through it will be worth a few million in commission for him and one other. if it goes through. it will be similar to emirates sponsoring the arsenal stadium, another mid east name, another uefa club.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 05:10:11 AM »
I just bought some NXP semi conductor shares.

Who the hell are they?

Well they make the NFC chip that will be used in transactions  - the chip will be put in every apple and google handset in 2015 onwards, with the announcement of "Apple Pay" this is going to be a game changer in the way we buy stuff, there is also a new regulation that means all commercial retailers must change their payment till systems and all the replacement units will also be NFC enabled.

The days of a plastic, magnetic credit card are numbered - and apple will be charging Capital One, MBNA to use their services too.

Hence Ebay recently deciding it was finally time to spin off paypal.

$20 a share, now at $80 - but the explosion hasn't happened yet.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 05:11:54 AM »
Netflix shares also climbing, had about 3k worth in Oct and now jumped up to 4k in value.

They are rolling out from 50 or so countries to 200 in the next two years, still more growth to be had from them.

Especially now they are making their own shows (House of Cards, Orange is new Black - and recently Better Call Saul , the Breaking Bad spin off)

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 05:13:18 AM »
Netflix shares also climbing, had about 3k worth in Oct and now jumped up to 4k in value.

They are rolling out from 50 or so countries to 200 in the next two years, still more growth to be had from them.

Especially now they are making their own shows (House of Cards, Orange is new Black - and recently Better Call Saul , the Breaking Bad spin off)

they will probably peak soon

every man and his dog is following that model now

amazon etc
T

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
There is still a lot more markets coming yet bigmc, we are entering the chord cutter period and there is a lot of money to be made.

The only attraction left nowadays for existing cable & satellite owners, is the live televised sports. All other channels, programs and movies are not proprietary to sky and virgin.

A lot of people are paying almost £100 a month, more in some cases with telephone line rental and broadband to the likes of SKY - when all of it apart from sports, is available elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

BBC, ITV, Channel 4 HD, Channel 5, news are on freeview or iplayer, 4OD etc for zero cost. All the big shows, like Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, Walking dead - are available for less than £7.00 a month on Netflix or Prime. You can have both for £14.00.

Considering Sky used to charge a tenner for an extra bedroom and the same again just to watch channels in HD - is just daylight robbery.

You could buy 4-5 blu rays a month of breaking releases, delivered through your letterbox on release day plus netflix and amazon - for less than what people pay Sky blindly every single month. All sky's movies are rom coms and rubbish - anything good is in the sky store.

They reached saturation a couple of years ago, and now people are realising how ridiculously expensive they are.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 12:43:41 PM »
Does Netflix make much profit for 7gbp a month? The rest I agree with.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 01:15:44 PM »

they will bump it massively like sky did when they have enough customers

they will factor in an atttrition rate of around 10 to twenty percent

they will try and get enough quality exclusive content to hook people in
T

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2015, 09:50:38 AM »

They have no install teams, no service teams, no infrasture or hardware development cost for sat or cable boxes - it's very profitable indeed.

They licenced the product, load it onto their site - and the only cost is really the cloud servers that host it. As time progresses and tech gets faster and cheaper, their profit margin increases.

Now they are making their own exclusive 9/10 rated shows, they are going to be a major force.

A year ago hardly anyone noticed or bothered about netflix, now everyone is trying their 30-day trial on their smart TV and many , especially those with kids, are keeping it.

If you have kids, the content for them is brilliant. And they can have their own profile and it will suggest things to watch based on their previous choices.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 03:16:44 AM »
They have no install teams, no service teams, no infrasture or hardware development cost for sat or cable boxes - it's very profitable indeed.

They licenced the product, load it onto their site - and the only cost is really the cloud servers that host it. As time progresses and tech gets faster and cheaper, their profit margin increases.

Now they are making their own exclusive 9/10 rated shows, they are going to be a major force.

A year ago hardly anyone noticed or bothered about netflix, now everyone is trying their 30-day trial on their smart TV and many , especially those with kids, are keeping it.

If you have kids, the content for them is brilliant. And they can have their own profile and it will suggest things to watch based on their previous choices.

that's what did it for me

my son loves it can load his own profile and comes up with age appropriate stuff for him
T

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 11:25:11 AM »
that's what did it for me

my son loves it can load his own profile and comes up with age appropriate stuff for him

It v.good for kids.

If you fancy share trading, i think now you can do it via ISA savings, the benefit is that you wont pay capital gains tax up to a certain amount from your shares going up.

The death of sattellite and the emergence of people using their phones to pay for goods in retail, is opening up a lot of opportunities.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »
It v.good for kids.

If you fancy share trading, i think now you can do it via ISA savings, the benefit is that you wont pay capital gains tax up to a certain amount from your shares going up.

The death of sattellite and the emergence of people using their phones to pay for goods in retail, is opening up a lot of opportunities.

Yup, most of my investments are in a stocks n shares ISA especially since the limit is raised to 15k now.

Now I've been leaning more towards my SIPP, as a higher rate tax payer I get tax relief of 40% which pretty much means a 40% top up into what I pay into it. So many people are unaware of this tax relief, e.g. my monthly 1k transfer turns into 1400 before I even start doing anything with it.

Investments wise I stick to 6/7 big companies, strategy is long term hold. Now and then I switch, top up or off load depending on what some analysts put out and my own research (when I have time)
S

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 07:28:34 AM »
NXP semi conductors and SWIR (sierra wireless) getting lots of 'buy' ratings lately.

Supply bits for all apple pay devices and sierra do wifi mods for all cars, fridges and future online products.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2015, 10:39:02 AM »
NXP jumped from $80 to $100 now in just 8 weeks.

These bad boys will fly soon.

Get yourself an ISA share account through your internet banking provider, and lump on folks.

Wheelbarrows at the ready.

Also stick any spare on Disney, the big mouse is also going to make good money: They have the pixar, star wars and frozen 2 on the way. Those toys and bed sheet sales are going to propel their shares upwards by a good 30-40% by year end.