Author Topic: Stock Market Traders (UK)  (Read 20981 times)

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
Stock Market Traders (UK)
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »
Documentary on BBC2 at 9pm tonight covering people trading from home and making a killing in the UK.

Should be an interesting watch
S

latiuss

• Getbig IV
Re: Stock Market Traders (UK)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
Ive made a killing on oxo's since i ditched knorr

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »
skorp sits down with pop corn expecting a learning experience whilst watching beta participation in action ::)

Omega

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 01:21:13 AM »
Documentary on BBC2 at 9pm tonight covering people trading from home and making a killing in the UK.

Should be an interesting watch

Any good?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 03:50:13 AM »
Any good?

One guy was very good, was an industry worker who went solo working from home investing his own money, guys like this can and do make a success of it (and BTW he was trading whilst dieting down to 4% bf and training, proper getbigger) drives a top notch Porsche and had just been entrusted with £50mil from a hedge fund to play with.

^Living the dream.

The others were muppets sold a dream....one NHS mum part time worker wanted to get into it, put in 6k....lost a 3rd already. Another doing it for 7yrs and always losing too, and a couple of guys who want the hiphop lifestyle and trade via rose tainted glasses, they seem to be doing ok though as the guy doing the trades is methodical in his approach and uses a more advanced approach than the other people just guessing it. an Oap group aswell lost 6k.

They covered day traders and spread betting...this is as high risk as it gets. they want to "trade" they get sold a packaged platform and given info on how to invest...but the latter is more complicated as they don't tend to give them right tools and access to really be at the front line and make decisions as quickly as hedge funds...etc.

I worked for a spread betting firm in the city, they arrange huge seminars and mock accounts for clients, I used to get complaints every week from people trying to state "unsuitable financial product sold"...etc to try and get compensation/recover lost money. Usually someone new to this, poured in 15k and in two weeks it disappeared, this was very common and the 15k loss amount also was very common.

S

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:18:02 AM »
One guy was very good, was an industry worker who went solo working from home investing his own money, guys like this can and do make a success of it (and BTW he was trading whilst dieting down to 4% bf and training, proper getbigger) drives a top notch Porsche and had just been entrusted with £50mil from a hedge fund to play with.

^Living the dream.

The others were muppets sold a dream....one NHS mum part time worker wanted to get into it, put in 6k....lost a 3rd already. Another doing it for 7yrs and always losing too, and a couple of guys who want the hiphop lifestyle and trade via rose tainted glasses, they seem to be doing ok though as the guy doing the trades is methodical in his approach and uses a more advanced approach than the other people just guessing it. an Oap group aswell lost 6k.

They covered day traders and spread betting...this is as high risk as it gets. they want to "trade" they get sold a packaged platform and given info on how to invest...but the latter is more complicated as they don't tend to give them right tools and access to really be at the front line and make decisions as quickly as hedge funds...etc.

I worked for a spread betting firm in the city, they arrange huge seminars and mock accounts for clients, I used to get complaints every week from people trying to state "unsuitable financial product sold"...etc to try and get compensation/recover lost money. Usually someone new to this, poured in 15k and in two weeks it disappeared, this was very common and the 15k loss amount also was very common.

Skorp - you work on the sell side of the industry, right?

Most retail traders are using technical analysis - which is total nonsense. So no matter how 'advanced' you are in that skill, you will never make money. They are sold a dream by the "financial junk food industry".

As for spread bet firms. They are a rip off. The moment a customer starts making money, they stop getting quotes in a timely manner. 

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 05:02:57 AM »
Skorp - you work on the sell side of the industry, right?

Most retail traders are using technical analysis - which is total nonsense. So no matter how 'advanced' you are in that skill, you will never make money. They are sold a dream by the "financial junk food industry".

As for spread bet firms. They are a rip off. The moment a customer starts making money, they stop getting quotes in a timely manner. 

Exactly, that's what they get sold and they stick with it. But the technical analysis although flawed, it is also only as good as the info you're acting on and this is where the non-clued up retail get caught out, you will never match a hedge fund who's allocating senior analysts to focus on one stock with direct access to info, most times these guys come in and come out based on strong probability of certain outcomes/announcements. By the time one single hedge fund buys or sells due to their sheer size the SP is affected...and that's when the retail end up coming in at the wrong time and getting burned, they hear the "good news" jump in, but by the time they're in price has already increased, they stick around hoping it will go up more, later the offloading starts and the SP drops and there you go a few hundred/few k's lost at the back of acting on good news.

S

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 05:08:45 AM »
you are betting investing in property imo

as a long term investment its unbeatable

very low risk if playing the long game of peace
T

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 05:51:17 AM »
Exactly, that's what they get sold and they stick with it. But the technical analysis although flawed, it is also only as good as the info you're acting on and this is where the non-clued up retail get caught out, you will never match a hedge fund who's allocating senior analysts to focus on one stock with direct access to info, most times these guys come in and come out based on strong probability of certain outcomes/announcements. By the time one single hedge fund buys or sells due to their sheer size the SP is affected...and that's when the retail end up coming in at the wrong time and getting burned, they hear the "good news" jump in, but by the time they're in price has already increased, they stick around hoping it will go up more, later the offloading starts and the SP drops and there you go a few hundred/few k's lost at the back of acting on good news.

I wouldn't say technical analysis was flawed. I'd more say it was total fucking nonsense with no basis whatsoever...  ;D

So - are you on the sell-side of the industry?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 06:31:08 AM »
I wouldn't say technical analysis was flawed. I'd more say it was total fucking nonsense with no basis whatsoever...  ;D

So - are you on the sell-side of the industry?

Yes spot on we are
S

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 06:53:48 AM »
On a sort of related topic - can any of our Getbigger Zillionaire traders id this bit of paper & the link to Ceres?

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 07:19:42 AM »
Yes spot on we are

I'm on the buy side. Well - I sort of sell to the buy side but not what the sell side sells.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 07:59:52 AM »
I'm on the buy side. Well - I sort of sell to the buy side but not what the sell side sells.

Is there a big financial centre in Thailand? (or was it Malaysia you're in/)
S

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »
Is there a big financial centre in Thailand? (or was it Malaysia you're in/)

I am based in Thailand but the business isn't. The stuff I do is almost exclusively related to futures markets. I did chat with a few firms here but the Thai Futures market just isn't competitive or attracting volume. The cost structure is prohibitive. I don't think they get that their exchange is competing for liquidity with other exchanges around the world. They seem to think they can open a shitty, expensive market and people will flock to it.

So for me it's mostly North American & European Markets and a bit of Aussie. More recently started doing a little in Brazil. Brazil have a good thing going there.

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 08:15:04 AM »
I am based in Thailand but the business isn't. The stuff I do is almost exclusively related to futures markets. I did chat with a few firms here but the Thai Futures market just isn't competitive or attracting volume. The cost structure is prohibitive. I don't think they get that their exchange is competing for liquidity with other exchanges around the world. They seem to think they can open a shitty, expensive market and people will flock to it.

So for me it's mostly North American & European Markets and a bit of Aussie. More recently started doing a little in Brazil. Brazil have a good thing going there.

Same geographical coverage as our firm, we mainly do Bonds (high yield) and Equities and Trade Claims.

Are most of your clients (buyers) in the Europe and US as well or do you have a strong base in SE Asia?

I know traders worth are pretty much weighed by their business lines.
S

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
Some sort of wipe clean trade blotter.  ::)

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:53 AM »
Some sort of wipe clean trade blotter.  ::)

Wipe clean?

Wouldn't that hurt if you threw it across the floor and hit someone in the head with it?

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:37 AM »
Interesting programme,better than last weeks,and you can now see why footballers end up bankrupt when they stop playing,as in the case of seeing Leon Best with his 350 pairs of trainers.Good to know that i`m in the 10% group of people who make a profit,i was surprised to hear that 90% lose money.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04jjjc2/traders-millions-by-the-minute-episode-2

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »
Interesting programme,better than last weeks,and you can now see why footballers end up bankrupt when they stop playing,as in the case of seeing Leon Best with his 350 pairs of trainers.Good to know that i`m in the 10% group of people who make a profit,i was surprised to hear that 90% lose money.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04jjjc2/traders-millions-by-the-minute-episode-2

Do you do day trading though?

I'm a long term investor, but as a city worker I'm not allowed to sell anything I buy into within 30 days. and so far everything I went into is up as I expected. I don't have the time or nerves to spare for day trading and I'm not greedy, I just want decent returns on my savings and as I have an interest in this field I enjoy the research and seeing my money on a phone app and knowing I could liquidate at any one time.
S

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »
Skorp armed with your new knowledge, have u considered applying for a job at Ebullio?

Skorp1o

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »
Skorp armed with your new knowledge, have u considered applying for a job at Ebullio?

Why do you have to be an asshole all the time? don't you get tired?

It's not my fault you're burdened with 3 kids and drive a Merc the size of a caravan...go fix your problems, dump the wife, kill the children, take Tren, get ripped, fuck a young slut and you'll be as happy as me one day and realise that being an asshole to strangers on-line is actually boring when you have no emotional frustrations.
S

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »
Why do you have to be an asshole all the time? don't you get tired?

It's not my fault you're burdened with 3 kids and drive a Merc the size of a caravan...go fix your problems, dump the wife, kill the children, take Tren, get ripped, fuck a young slut and you'll be as happy as me one day and realise that being an asshole to strangers on-line is actually boring when you have no emotional frustrations.

Damn. Was only a joke. How about the venerable City Equities?

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
Do you do day trading though?

I'm a long term investor, but as a city worker I'm not allowed to sell anything I buy into within 30 days. and so far everything I went into is up as I expected. I don't have the time or nerves to spare for day trading and I'm not greedy, I just want decent returns on my savings and as I have an interest in this field I enjoy the research and seeing my money on a phone app and knowing I could liquidate at any one time.
No Skorpio,i`m not a day trader,i`m the same as you a long term one,although i have had a few occasions when i`ve bought and sold within a couple of days,but theres nothing worse than selling and checking on the price a month later and to see its still kept climbing.I got interested in 2001 after talking to Peter Sage,but didn`t start till 2003.

Pork_Chop

• Getbig III
  • Registered since 2003
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
Tesco's crisis has seen their shares fall to £194 today.

They were £370 a year ago.

Take Two Interactive and Activision are worth a small punt.

Take Two has GTA5 for next gen coming out next month and currently in a lull, then the big Destiny game has sucked hard, so they have dropped a bit - but they have the true next gen Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare and the kid's game Skylanders: Time Trap (or something) coming out for Xmas, so those shares will bounce right back 15% in a couple of months.

Your lucky to make 1% a year on an ISA. Get a share dealing account set up through your Internet banking account. Takes 5 mins if that and you just transfer money into it and then enter the company name and purchase away.

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »
Tesco's crisis has seen their shares fall to £194 today.

They were £370 a year ago.

Take Two Interactive and Activision are worth a small punt.

Take Two has GTA5 for next gen coming out next month and currently in a lull, then the big Destiny game has sucked hard, so they have dropped a bit - but they have the true next gen Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare and the kid's game Skylanders: Time Trap (or something) coming out for Xmas, so those shares will bounce right back 15% in a couple of months.

Your lucky to make 1% a year on an ISA. Get a share dealing account set up through your Internet banking account. Takes 5 mins if that and you just transfer money into it and then enter the company name and purchase away.

yeah whats the worst that can happen? its not like we are 5 years into a supposed economic cycle or anything.