Author Topic: More Americans see religion’s influence waning, want bigger role in politics  (Read 2438 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Interesting trend.

More Americans see religion’s influence waning, want bigger role in politics: Pew poll
By Mary Wisniewski
SEPTEMBER 23, 2014

Nearly three-quarters of the public think religion is losing influence in American life and a growing number want religion to play more of a role in politics, according to a poll released on Monday.

The share of Americans who say churches and other houses of worship should express their views on social and political issues has gone up 6 percentage points since the 2010 midterm elections, to 49 percent from 43 percent, the Pew Research Center survey found.

Also, a growing minority of Americans, up to 32 percent from 22 percent in 2002, think churches should endorse candidates for political office, the poll found.

Overall, it showed 72 percent of Americans say religion is losing influence in the country, up 5 points from 2010.

“Some of this might be in reaction, perhaps, to the perception that religion is losing influence,” said Jessica Hamar Martinez, a research associate for Pew.

The poll also found that a declining share of Americans see the Obama administration as friendly toward religion, to 30 percent from 37 percent in 2009.

The belief that the administration is unfriendly to religion rose by 19 percentage points since 2009 among both white evangelical Christians and white Catholics, the poll found. Leaders from both these groups have been vocal opponents of the Affordable Care Act’s contraception mandate, which they say restricts religious liberty.

The poll also found that nearly half, or 47 percent, of U.S. adults, think that businesses, such as caterers and florists, should be allowed to reject same-sex couples as customers if the businesses have religious objections to serving them.

The survey questioned 2,002 U.S. adults between Sept. 2 and Sept. 9, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.5 percentage points.

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/2014/09/23/more-americans-see-religions-influence-waning-want-bigger-role-in-politics-pew-poll/

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Separation of church and state.  Exists for a good reason. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Why dont you move to Russia BB?

They hate gays, love religion and are dishonest as fuck.

You obviously hate america and the principles it was built upon so why not leave?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Why dont you move to Russia BB?

They hate gays, love religion and are dishonest as fuck.

You obviously hate america and the principles it was built upon so why not leave?

I'm never leaving the greatest country on planet earth.  It is so great that you pretend to be an American.  Or you're an American pretending to be a foreigner.  I forget which one.  Can you clarify again? 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I'm never leaving the greatest country on planet earth.  It is so great that you pretend to be an American.  Or you're an American pretending to be a foreigner.  I forget which one.  Can you clarify again? 

If its the greatest country on earth why do you hate it so much?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V

Because the religious nutbags like himself is waning and their influence is diminishing.  Of course.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights was originally proposed as a measure to assuage Anti-Federalist opposition to Constitutional ratification. Initially, the First Amendment applied only to laws enacted by the Congress, and many of its provisions were interpreted more narrowly than they are today. Beginning with Gitlow v. New York (1925), the Supreme Court applied the First Amendment to states—a process known as incorporation—through the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

In Everson v. Board of Education (1947), the Court drew on Founding Father Thomas Jefferson's correspondence to call for "a wall of separation between church and State", though the precise boundary of this separation remains in dispute.

Why dont you leave the US you hate so much?
You are even pissing on the constitution.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
He doesn't mind religion influencing politics or being in schools as long as it is the religion he follows.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Nearly three-quarters of the public think religion is losing influence in American life and a growing number want religion to play more of a role in politics, according to a poll released on Monday.

Our Founding Fathers didn't create a democracy but a Constitutional Republic. And it's a good thing too, what with three quarters of the public apparently being idiots.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
He doesn't mind religion influencing politics or being in schools as long as it is the religion he follows.

He hates the foundation his country was built on why doesnt he just leave?

Maybe if he moved to Russia or the middle east he wouldnt be so sad.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

I don't hate anything.  Except vegetables.  The Dallas Cowboys.  The Boston Celtics.  David Stern.  And traffic.  That about covers it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights was originally proposed as a measure to assuage Anti-Federalist opposition to Constitutional ratification. Initially, the First Amendment applied only to laws enacted by the Congress, and many of its provisions were interpreted more narrowly than they are today. Beginning with Gitlow v. New York (1925), the Supreme Court applied the First Amendment to states—a process known as incorporation—through the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

In Everson v. Board of Education (1947), the Court drew on Founding Father Thomas Jefferson's correspondence to call for "a wall of separation between church and State", though the precise boundary of this separation remains in dispute.

Why dont you leave the US you hate so much?
You are even pissing on the constitution.

Wait.  Who is asking?  The fake American or the fake foreigner? 

How exactly do you think this violates the First Amendment?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
I don't hate anything.  Except vegetables.  The Dallas Cowboys.  The Boston Celtics.  David Stern.  And traffic.  That about covers it.

I have to agree here.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Wait.  Who is asking?  The fake American or the fake foreigner? 

How exactly do you think this violates the First Amendment?

My bad you cant read.

Have your mother read it loud for you then respond.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Our Founding Fathers didn't create a democracy but a Constitutional Republic. And it's a good thing too, what with three quarters of the public apparently being idiots.

Semantics.  You can call it a constitutional republic. I call it a democracy.  At the end of the day, everything is subject to a vote.  Some votes are much harder than others, but laws and constitutions can always be changed.  Easier said than done, but it's still a vote (whether by individuals or representatives) that can have the last word.  I know that courts often have the final say, but whatever document or law they interpret can be changed.

And I have no problem with people voting to advance or oppose religious-based views.  That's what democracy is all about.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
Great. Still beyond me why people still believe this shit. Your irrational beliefs should have no influence on others. Keep your worshipping at home where it belongs.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
My bad you cant read.

Have your mother read it loud for you then respond.

I see.  Very easy to cut and paste something you probably didn't read and/or understand.  A little more difficult to actually explain your viewpoint.  

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I see.  Very easy to cut and paste something you probably didn't read and/or understand.  A little more difficult to actually explain your viewpoint.  

Its very difficult to explain to you yes.

It would be easier to explain to my dog no doubt.

How did you get to be a Moderator for a political forum when you cant even read your countries constitution?

Are you related to Ron?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

so you don't hate Satan ?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Its very difficult to explain to you yes.

It would be easier to explain to my dog no doubt.

How did you get to be a Moderator for a political forum when you cant even read your countries constitution?

Are you related to Ron?

Good question.  There was stiff competition, but after some intense lobbying, a written exam, and a background check, I made the cut.  I take it you don't like my performance?  I am crushed.   :'(  

Maybe Ron should cut my pay?

And this is your way of avoiding having to explain how you think this violates the First Amendment.  I see what you did there. 

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Semantics.

Semantics, you should know, are very important.

You can call it a constitutional republic. I call it a democracy.

A Constitutional Republic is Democracy in the same way that your dog, affectionately named "kitty" no doubt, is a feline.

Democracy is, essentially, ochlocracy: there are no rules and anything goes, as long as you have enough people behind you - that is, as ong as you have a majority. In a Republic on the other hand, the majority is constrained by a charter which defines what the majority can and cannot do.

Well big deal. Can't a majority edit the charter anyways under a Constitional Republic? Well, yes... somewhat. Charters typically do offer a mechanism to allow modifications - our Constitution, for example, describes how it can be amended in Article V but at the same time, it places limits on what modifications are, actually, allowed. For example, an Amendment could not be incorporated that, say, mandated that West Virginia gets only one seat in the Senate if West Virginia did not wish to only have one Senator.

And I have no problem with people voting to advance or oppose religious-based views.  That's what democracy is all about.

You are making a very broad statement here - and it's not one I necessarily disagree with, depending on how one goes about interpreting it.

The fact is that people can already apply any "reasoning" they want in deciding how they vote on a particular issue and rational thought is not required. For example, people can choose their vote by flipping a coin or by praying to get mystical insight - as I'm sure many do. There's no way to control how people decide to vote and there shouldn't be.

But - and there's always a but - those very same people are limited in what they can vote about. For example, the people (whether directly or indirectly through their Representatives) can't vote to compel every American to attend a house of worship once a week.

To get back to the original article: it suggests that many Americans want churches to have a voice on political subjects, but as it stands, churches whch involve themselves in politics risk losing their tax-exempt status, so most avoid overt participation with the political process and endorsment of particular candidates.

I absolutely think that churches should be able to express opinions on politics in general and specific issues in particular, just like I think that they should also be able to endorse candidates. I think that Churches, like other legal entities, should be able to speak on issues that concern them. Of course, since I also think that churches shouldn't be exempt from tax...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Semantics, you should know, are very important.

A Constitutional Republic is Democracy in the same way that your dog, affectionately named "kitty" no doubt, is a feline.

Democracy is, essentially, ochlocracy: there are no rules and anything goes, as long as you have enough people behind you - that is, as ong as you have a majority. In a Republic on the other hand, the majority is constrained by a charter which defines what the majority can and cannot do.

Well big deal. Can't a majority edit the charter anyways under a Constitional Republic? Well, yes... somewhat. Charters typically do offer a mechanism to allow modifications - our Constitution, for example, describes how it can be amended in Article V but at the same time, it places limits on what modifications are, actually, allowed. For example, an Amendment could not be incorporated that, say, mandated that West Virginia gets only one seat in the Senate if West Virginia did not wish to only have one Senator.

You are making a very broad statement here - and it's not one I necessarily disagree with, depending on how one goes about interpreting it.

The fact is that people can already apply any "reasoning" they want in deciding how they vote on a particular issue and rational thought is not required. For example, people can choose their vote by flipping a coin or by praying to get mystical insight - as I'm sure many do. There's no way to control how people decide to vote and there shouldn't be.

But - and there's always a but - those very same people are limited in what they can vote about. For example, the people (whether directly or indirectly through their Representatives) can't vote to compel every American to attend a house of worship once a week.

To get back to the original article: it suggests that many Americans want churches to have a voice on political subjects, but as it stands, churches whch involve themselves in politics risk losing their tax-exempt status, so most avoid overt participation with the political process and endorsment of particular candidates.

I absolutely think that churches should be able to express opinions on politics in general and specific issues in particular, just like I think that they should also be able to endorse candidates. I think that Churches, like other legal entities, should be able to speak on issues that concern them. Of course, since I also think that churches shouldn't be exempt from tax...

I don't think it's talking about "churches" being involved in politics.  It's religious viewpoints or religious-based policy.  And if you think about it, religious-based/influenced policy has been around for years.  Some good, some bad. 

Also, churches can be involved in politics to a degree.  They just cannot be involved in partisan politics and maintain their tax exempt status. 

Overall, I like our system (at least on paper).  In our democracy, the people should decide public policy.  If you or I don't agree with whatever is on the books, or is being advocated by one side or another, we need to lobby and vote. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Good question.  There was stiff competition, but after some intense lobbying, a written exam, and a background check, I made the cut.  I take it you don't like my performance?  I am crushed.   :'(  

Maybe Ron should cut my pay?

And this is your way of avoiding having to explain how you think this violates the First Amendment.  I see what you did there. 

You get paid for fucking up the site?

Now im really shocked.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
You get paid for fucking up the site?

Now im really shocked.

Very well paid to help supervise this daycare center.

I see you are still unable to explain how this violates the First Amendment.  Not shocked. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Very well paid to help supervise this daycare center.

I see you are still unable to explain how this violates the First Amendment.  Not shocked. 

More Americans see religion’s influence waning, want bigger role in politics

vs

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion

Thomas Jefferson wrote with respect to the First Amendment and its restriction on the legislative branch of the federal government in an 1802 letter to the Danbury Baptists (a religious minority concerned about the dominant position of the Congregationalist church in Connecticut):

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.[9]

Get an education its not to late.