Author Topic: Invisible Touch (Genesis)  (Read 28670 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Invisible Touch (Genesis)
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
Was listening to this CD on my way home from work today.  Had not played it in a couple years.  The CD came out in June of 1986 and was the 13th studio album by Genesis (how many bands last long enough to put out 13 albums?).  Anyway, I am stunned at how well this album has held up.  The songs are still amazing... and sound fresh...  and the least acknowledged song on the album is probably the best; the instrumental "The Brazilian."

There isn't a band today that can touch the quality of Genesis.  They simply don't make em like this anymore. 8)

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Re: Invisible Touch (Genesis)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 07:15:49 PM »
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »
Duke is okay but Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Trick of the Tail, Selling England by the Pound - what don't you get about those albums? Those are the best they have...the rest is just an echo.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:40:46 AM »
Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

I'd certainly count myself a Phil Collins fan.  Since it came out, Face Value (1981) has always been in my top 10 album list; right up there with Thriller (1982), Revolver (1966), or What's Going On (1971).  It's gratifying to hear you call Invisible Touch their masterpiece; the album has aged exceedingly well.  As your tastes (and mine) mature you/we may come to (re)discover and appreciate their other albums more and more.  It is an amazing phenomena when that happens.

It is funny, when Peter Gabriel left the group many people thought they would never recover.  If you are a fan, you probably already know the story of how the group auditioned literally hundreds of potential singers to replace Gabriel.  They didn't like any of them.  Out of desperation they decided to give Phil a try (who was already in the group playing instruments).  It was a perfect fit.  There is a powerful lesson there.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 03:44:44 AM »
If you haven't already done so, check out Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time and compare your taste with theirs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 04:04:24 AM »
If you haven't already done so, check out Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time and compare your taste with theirs.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531

Phil Collins is a fantastic artist. Especially amazing when you consider that he can't sing all that well.

He has heavy studio work backing his vocals. Still great music though.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 04:49:13 AM »
Phil Collins is a fantastic artist. Especially amazing when you consider that he can't sing all that well.

He has heavy studio work backing his vocals. Still great music though.

Um, as opposed to whom?  ::)

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 04:57:15 AM »
Um, as opposed to whom?  ::)
As opposed to real singing talent.

Have Phil (on his best day) sing accoustic. He would probably sound like he had strep throat.

That is not taking away from his music. I like Phil Collins, but he is average at best at vocals.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52:42 AM »
As opposed to real singing talent.

Have Phil (on his best day) sing accoustic. He would probably sound like he had strep throat.

That is not taking away from his music. I like Phil Collins, but he is average at best at vocals.

Name three singers who routinely sing acoustic on an album?  The only person I can name who did it with credibility is Whitney Houston on 'I Will Always Love You."  At the start of the song, she sings for about 45 seconds with no musical accompaniment or background vocals.  The reason we never hear this on albums is because virtually no one can do it.  Phil may not be Pavarotti, but he takes a back seat to no one in contemporary popular music.  It is telling that your retort failed to answer the simple question "...as opposed to whom?"  Presumably, you were thinking of "real singing talent" yet you failed to name even one example of acoustic singing.  'nuff said.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »
Name three singers who routinely sing acoustic on an album?  The only person I can name who did it with credibility is Whitney Houston on 'I Will Always Love You."  At the start of the song, she sings for about 45 seconds with no musical accompaniment or background vocals.  The reason we never hear this on albums is because virtually no one can do it.  Phil may not be Pavarotti, but he takes a back seat to no one in contemporary popular music.  It is telling that your retort failed to answer the simple question "...as opposed to whom?"  Presumably, you were thinking of "real singing talent" yet you failed to name even one example of acoustic singing.  'nuff said.
Real singing talent is someone like Jon Secada, George Michaels, Richard Marx, or Michael Bolton.

You can actually tell those guys have range. Phil is a great artist, but far from a good singer.

The Onion

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
Did you know that Whitney Houston's debut LP, called simply Whitney Houston had 4 number one singles on it? Did you know that? It's hard to choose a favorite among so many great tracks, but "The Greatest Love of All" is one of the best, most powerful songs ever written about self-preservation, dignity. Its universal message crosses all boundaries and instills one with the hope that it's not too late to better ourselves. Since it's impossible in this world we live in to empathize with others, we can always empathize with ourselves. It's an important message, crucial really. And it's beautifully stated on the album.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
Real singing talent is someone like Jon Secada, George Michaels, Richard Marx, or Michael Bolton.

You can actually tell those guys have range. Phil is a great artist, but far from a good singer.

I have heard Bolton sing acoustic--but not on an album--and the others not at all.  Again, there is a reason you almost NEVER hear this on an LP.  You say that "you can actually tell" but how can you tell?  If you haven't heard them sing acoustic then you cannot tell, just because you perceive that they have range does not mean they are acoustic singers.  

It is interesting that you mention George Michael.  I have a couple of his singles and albums.  I enjoy his stuff, but his voice not withstanding I would not put him/Wham in the same league with Collins/Genesis.  The Collins/Genesis sound has staying power.  The Michael/Wham sound does not age nearly as well, at least not to my ear.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
Bay, listen to these voices. There is a huge difference in vocal talent between these guys and Phil Collins.

I put Collins in the same category as an artist like Sting.

Great writing, great production value, average at best singing.

They still are great artists though.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »
Bay, listen to these voices. There is a huge difference in vocal talent between these guys and Phil Collins.

I put Collins in the same category as an artist like Sting.

Great writing, great production value, average at best singing.

They still are great artists though.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but great singing voices are actually a dime a dozen.  There are probably a few in your apartment building or on your block; you can find them on any singing talent show or in any Baptist choir.  The leap from a good voice to a good or great singing career can be huge.  It's like being a good cook (common) and being a successful executive chef (much less common).

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 03:03:30 PM »
Not to put too fine a point on it, but great singing voices are actually a dime a dozen.  There are probably a few in your apartment building or on your block; you can find them on any singing talent show or in any Baptist choir.  The leap from a good voice to a good or great singing career can be huge.  It's like being a good cook (common) and being a successful executive chef (much less common).
I'll give you that. But that's a nod to a guy like Phil Collins. Made a Hall of Fame music career off of an average voice.

The songs are great though, that is what really matters.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 01:27:47 AM »
I'm still waiting for one of you morons to figure out that my entire reply was ripped off word for word from Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

I am disappoint.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 01:29:48 AM »
I'm still waiting for one of you morons to figure out that my entire reply was ripped off word for word from Patrick Bateman in American Psycho.

I am disappoint.
I did think it was a little weird coming from you, but I thought you were finally coming to grips with your sexuality.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 05:06:47 AM »
Fuck Phil Collins (lame) and fuck Rolling Stone (terrorist supporting fucks who put the Boston bomber on the cover).

Listen to something with some balls. Looking forward to the new AC/DC and tour.