Author Topic: TRAINING ?? for DISGUSTED  (Read 8524 times)

RIZZ1

• Getbig I
TRAINING ?? for DISGUSTED
« on: September 28, 2014, 10:58:58 AM »
Jim "Disgusted" can you answer some questions on your training philosophy or methods that have worked best for you in the past and or currently?  I think the members would appreciate your thoughts on this.  If this is a past topic, I searched and really could not find one.  I posted this in the wrong section and moved it here. 

Simple Simon

Re: TRAINING ?? for DISGUSTED
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
jims gimmick starting off way too quickly

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »

;D

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »

Maybe Sev is starting to doubt his own methods?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »
Lol no guys I have chatted with him before. I'll throw out some thoughts on the matter later.

MONSTER_TRICEPS

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 01:03:25 PM »
Lol no guys I have chatted with him before. I'll throw out some thoughts on the matter later.

But ofcourse you have.  ::) ;D

the trainer

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
No better way to promote yourself then to have your own gimmick ask you questions like I do.

Simple Simon

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
No better way to promote yourself then to have your own gimmick ask you questions.
Best set one up for yourself, you can bet your bottom dollar no one is going to ask you anything.

the trainer

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 02:27:50 PM »
Best set one up for yourself, you can bet your bottom dollar no one is going to ask you anything.

Everybody knows that I don't know shit when it comes to diet, training and roids the only thing they want to see right now is my picture and it will be shown come christmas.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 02:32:59 PM »
Everybody knows that I don't know shit when it comes to diet, training and roids the only thing they want to see right now is my picture and it will be shown come christmas.

Whats the best way to take hgh? 5ius a day 5 on 2 off? Every other day? 2 in the AM 2 in the PM? 10 twice a week?

Simple Simon

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »
No one gives a fuck about your picture, is that what you think?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 02:33:50 PM »

;D

RIZZ1

• Getbig I
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 05:35:27 PM »
First off no alias here.  Jim has helped me before and I first learned about him from another forum.  Jim I know you fall under the more volume style, but with the trend now going to more frequency and reps, your opinion?  I have followed a styler similar to Doug Brignole's; where I was hitting reps from 50/40/30/20 and 10 on exercises as well as just pump training using 15-30 reps and it worked.  Maybe you can touch on training for a beat up older lifter in their late 30' to early forties?  Thanks.

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 05:43:56 PM »
Bookmarked for future reference.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
OK, through the years (isn't that a Kenny Roger's song?) I've done just about if not all of the different training regimes. I've done HD, rest pause, negative only, forced reps, supersets with compound move first, supersets with compound move last, Bulgarian style, giants sets, high volume, high reps, extremely high reps(100) some of this stuff was crazy and pushed not only your body but your mind. We do all this in the name of growth!! I'm no stranger to what people have been doing over that last 80 years.

For years I have settled at doing a body part once a week, so does that mean training it twice a week or even three times a week is wrong? Of course not, and if I was to train for a show I would most likely do something similar to what Vince Taylor does and that would be to train twice daily 6 days a week, but I am digress.

After many years of training at this point believe that there is a happy medium when it comes to training for size. I can easily maintain my size and gain doing a body part once a week and doing around 8 sets for smaller muscle groups and 12 or so for larger ones. My reps are normally around 8 to 12 but as I have said before I like to do higher reps for legs usually 15, but sometimes much higher.  I think it best to get in and get out meaning don't waste time. If you can't do what needs to be done in under and hour you are doing something wrong. Arnold used to speak of getting blood in the muscle and racing the pump and I totally believe this.

Sometimes I will add weight with each set and other times I will leave the weight the same. If I leave the weight the same I don't rest as long obviously, I believe that the muscle will recover quicker in the earlier sets if you leave the weight the same so you need to trick it into thinking you are using more weight by resting less in the earlier sets. For example if I am doing tricep pushdowns. I may start with 90 pounds and add 10 each set doing maybe 8 sets. I will rest probably 30 seconds between sets, maybe only 10 the first few. Other times I may start at 130 and stay there and super set biceps with basically no rest other than walking from one machine to the next. It's all instinctual to a degree so I don't follow any sets rules. Mainly get in there and destroy the muscle.

I don't believe in doing tons of forced reps. Train don't strain (first one to identify the man who said this gets a Getbig T-Shirt) Of course you want to train hard but pushing past a certain point is NOT doing anything for growth. I know some will disagree and that's fine but I'm right and they are wrong.  :D

I do believe that there is some merit to the old saying time under tension, but don't take that too much at face value since if that was all there was to muscle growth we could just flex our muscle for a set amount of time and grow.  I don't think one needs to do 30 sets per body part to get big. For a newbie they need to do a basic routine and "learn" how to feel the muscle being worked. When I train some totally new I always tell them that I can show you how to do the exercise but I can't show you how to feel it. It takes time and many reps for someone to develop a mind to muscle link, I don't rush this as in time it will happen on its own.

For people like Rizzi who have experience but are looking for new ways to stimulate growth I suggest that you experiment and find a routine that suites your needs as far as say your goals and maybe your daily schedule etc. Just use the guidelines that I have posted and go from there. At this point in my life I normally do the same exercises every time but when I was younger I tried them all. I suggest everyone tries all kinds of different ones to find what they like best.

Just remember that there is no magic routine. Stay within a certain range. You are not going to grow off of 2 sets of 6 reps and there is no need to do set 50 per body part. Train smart, don't do stupid shit that is going to prevent you from training years down the road especially if you enjoy training. I know too many guy who can't do much due to years of abusing their bodies. Yeah you may be the man in the gym when you are younger but there is no fun in walking with a cane and wishing you could still enjoy a good workout.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 07:14:56 PM »

Just remember that there is no magic routine. Stay within a certain range. You are not going to grow off of 2 sets of 6 reps and there is no need to do set 50 per body part. Train smart, don't do stupid shit that is going to prevent you from training years down the road especially if you enjoy training. I know too many guy who can't do much due to years of abusing their bodies. Yeah you may be the man in the gym when you are younger but there is no fun in walking with a cane and wishing you could still enjoy a good workout.

what do you think of HIT?
T

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
Oh brother

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 08:07:23 PM »
what do you think of HIT?

I've done it more than once as prescribed. Both times I hit (no pun intended) as wall. I couldn't get any stronger no matter what I did. Never did much for growth. Both times I was natural.

Here's a story for you. A pro that I know told me who he went to Mike's seminars that he used to put on. Not sure of exact date but he went in 96? and again in 98?. I remember he mentioned how Mike had declined in those couple years he had seen him last. So I asked him did he think his training philosophy worked and he said yes. So here's the kicker. After the seminar Mike would leave and this Mexican looking dude would come over and talk drugs with them. He said pick your favorite two drugs and do 1500mgs of each weekly. You did orals for 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off. So Drol was done at 200mgs daily or Dbol same dose. I think that you took a break after 12 weeks. He said there were a few young guys there that were pretty huge. Gee wonder why.  ;D

forillagorilla

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
Lee Haney said it - do I get my shirt?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »
Lee Haney said it - do I get my shirt?

Yes email Ron immediately.  ;D

RIZZ1

• Getbig I
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 10:49:23 AM »
When you are training a bodypart once per week and it is the off season are you training 3-4 days per week?  If so what would your split look like with that many days per week?  Also did you ever split quads and hams up?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 01:29:17 PM »
When you are training a bodypart once per week and it is the off season are you training 3-4 days per week?  If so what would your split look like with that many days per week?  Also did you ever split quads and hams up?

Yeah usually 4 days. Honestly I have split things up a number of different ways and yes I have spilt up hams before but I normally do legs all together. I've done Chest shoulders tris, legs, then back and bi's. I've done this for a while, but don't get too hung up on trying to find the perfect split.

RIZZ1

• Getbig I
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 01:55:21 PM »
How much does "HEAVY" training have to do with it, say in the neighborhood below 8 reps? 

the trainer

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 02:05:03 PM »
Disgusted talking to himself in this thread.  :D

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »
How much does "HEAVY" training have to do with it, say in the neighborhood below 8 reps? 

There is no such thing as "heavy" training. Your muscle has no idea how much weight is on the bar. In order for your muscle to fail and I don't necessarily mean absolute failure you must tax it to a certain degree. This does require using a certain amount of weight and a certain amount of reps of sets. Using "heavy weight and lows reps" doesn't equate to bigger muscle than using lighter weights with more reps.