Author Topic: SANTORUM is back!  (Read 3075 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
SANTORUM is back!
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:31:10 AM »
Rick Santorum helped drag out the 2012 Republican primary, sending Mitt Romney limping into the general election.
Santorum’s lesson: Get in even earlier in 2016.

The iconoclast social conservative is already taking the temperature of potential donors. His big money benefactor, Foster Friess, still adores him. He’s headed to Iowa in October to meet with key conservative activists. And he is growing his grass-roots network beyond early primary states.

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus earlier this year called the primary process a “complete disaster,” promising to slash the number of debates to prevent “the traveling circus” from hijacking the race as Santorum, Newt Gingrich and others did in 2012. The primary season pushed Romney further and further to the right as he burned through cash, instead of answering the Obama machine’s attacks on him.

But Santorum has no apologies. So while the field of social conservatives is expected to be stronger in 2016, the Pennsylvania Republican’s early moves could still put him in a better position in the next go-round, setting up the threat of an even bigger problem for establishment Republicans if they don’t prepare for another onslaught of outsiders eager to beat up the party’s eventual nominee.
“My head is very wrapped around the idea of getting things in line to move forward, but it’s a process and you take a step at a time,” Santorum said in an interview.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/09/rick-santorum-returns-111408.html#ixzz3EiOn0Ond

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
Re: SANTORUM is back!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 10:42:21 AM »
Great, another shot to not like him as a national candidate.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
All you need to know about Rick Santorum is encapsulated in this quote

Quote from: Rick Santorum
The idea is that the state doesn’t have rights to limit individuals’ wants and passions. I disagree with that. I think we absolutely have rights because there are consequences to letting people live out whatever wants or passions they desire.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »
All you need to know about Rick Santorum is encapsulated in this quote

I'm not a Santorum fan, but what's wrong with that quote?  We always limit behavior.  We have too if we want to live in a civilized society. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »
both parties want to regulate behavior.  Then both parties brag about how they don't limit certain freedoms.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 03:34:35 PM »
I'm not a Santorum fan, but what's wrong with that quote?  We always limit behavior.  We have too if we want to live in a civilized society. 

Can you give me a concrete example of how you think we "limit" behavior?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »

Lying, stealing, regulation of the marketplace (e.g., insider trading, monopolies, etc.), protecting the elderly, protecting animals.  Countless examples. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 03:37:52 PM »

we don't let people murder each other.  we make people stay out of certain areas, like military bases.  we limit abortions, or ban in some areas.  we let people carry guns in some places, and not others.  We limit who can marry who.  We limit when a person can drive, drink, buy guns, or vote by age.  If you have a felony record, you are limited on many things too.  

Now, when Santorum said, specifically, "limit individuals’ wants and passions", he could have meant that.  Maybe he meant something else, maybe legislating morality is something he supports, although both parties do that in different areas.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:44:30 PM »

That's an old quote from his PA days if I remember right and it was in the context of being able to limit gay people from having consensual sex in their homes.  I find that to be a problem.

I truly despise this guy as I noted last time around.  If Repubs put him up for nomination, it's a win for the Dems, IMO.  Santorum sucks...big time.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 05:57:01 PM »

That's an old quote from his PA days if I remember right and it was in the context of being able to limit gay people from having consensual sex in their homes.  I find that to be a problem.

I truly despise this guy as I noted last time around.  If Repubs put him up for nomination, it's a win for the Dems, IMO.  Santorum sucks...big time.

I don't agree with regulating what consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom. 

I don't think he is viable either.  Although if Biden is the Democrat nominee . . . .

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 11:16:30 PM »
Lying, stealing, regulation of the marketplace (e.g., insider trading, monopolies, etc.), protecting the elderly, protecting animals.  Countless examples.

Lying isn't generally outlawed. You can lie through your teeth and generally you can't be limited and nothing can be done to you for lying. The situations where lying is legally punishable are, relatively speaking, few and far between.

Stealing, on the other hand, is generally outlawed. But having laws against stealing isn't "limiting" - you don't have a right to take my property without my consent and punishing you if you do isn't "limiting" you.

The bit about protecting the elderly is a bit vague. The elderly have rights that you cannot violate and laws codify those things so that violations can be punished. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for the regulation of the marketplace, I don't believe that we should be in the business of regulating the marketplace - it's perfectly capable of regulating itself.

The salient point in my post wasn't that we cannot have limits in our society; it's that society cannot arbitrarily choose what to limit, although it sure tries, as in your example about marketplace regulation. There are some things we we, as a society, can place limits on and others that we, as a society, cannot and should not. I'll explain the difference as I pick apart 240's post. Ready? Set. Go!

we don't let people murder each other.

Ridiculous claim #1. You don't have an inherent right to murder someone, so we don't "limit" you in any way by punishing you if you choose to murder someone.

we make people stay out of certain areas, like military bases.

Ridiculous claim #2. You don't have an inherent right to be on someone else's property, so we don't "limit" you in any way by punishing you if you choose to trespass.

we limit abortions, or ban in some areas.

Now you're doing better, but there's a small issue. And it's not whether abortion should be allowed or not. It's that this isn't regulating behavior. It's whether a woman's right to control the biological functions of her body outweight the fetus' right to life, if it indeed has such a right, especially at the expense of another.

we let people carry guns in some places, and not others.

Ridiculous claim #3. Owners have property rights. Non-government actors can choose to deny you access to their property based on any reason they want. Government actors can deny you access only in some cases, where they have a demonstrable, compelling interest in restricting weapons.

We limit who can marry who.

Not quite. We limit to whom "marriage licenses" can be issued. The important, underlying question is whether "licenses" should be needed at all.

We limit when a person can drive, drink, buy guns, or vote by age.

Woah, there... slow down. One thing at a time chief!

Driving: First of all you don't have a right to drive, and the government can certainly decide who can be granted the privilege to operate a motor vehicle on public roads. But nobody can stop you from driving on your private property.

Drinking: I don't think society should be able to limit when a person can drink. Certainly we can limit the sale - but not the consumption - of alcohol.

Buying Guns: It's true, we place some, usually loose limits on who can buy guns.

Voting: We don't grant those who haven't reached the age of majority the right to vote. I don't know that I'd call that a limit as such, but even if I did it's certainly defensible and not the kind of limit that I was referring to. Remember, I asked you to show me how we limit behavior.

If you have a felony record, you are limited on many things too.

People should be allowed to judge you and your past actions. There's nothing wrong with that.

Now, when Santorum said, specifically, "limit individuals’ wants and passions", he could have meant that.  Maybe he meant something else, maybe legislating morality is something he supports, although both parties do that in different areas.

Santorum has made it very clear that he wants to legislate morality and people's wants and passions. He has said so. Repeatedly and unambigiously.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »
GREAT ! just in time for the fall/winter sleeveless sweaters. This time I'm gonna order one with his name on it.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »
Lying isn't generally outlawed. You can lie through your teeth and generally you can't be limited and nothing can be done to you for lying. The situations where lying is legally punishable are, relatively speaking, few and far between.

Stealing, on the other hand, is generally outlawed. But having laws against stealing isn't "limiting" - you don't have a right to take my property without my consent and punishing you if you do isn't "limiting" you.

The bit about protecting the elderly is a bit vague. The elderly have rights that you cannot violate and laws codify those things so that violations can be punished. There's nothing wrong with that.

As for the regulation of the marketplace, I don't believe that we should be in the business of regulating the marketplace - it's perfectly capable of regulating itself.

The salient point in my post wasn't that we cannot have limits in our society; it's that society cannot arbitrarily choose what to limit, although it sure tries, as in your example about marketplace regulation. There are some things we we, as a society, can place limits on and others that we, as a society, cannot and should not. I'll explain the difference as I pick apart 240's post. Ready? Set. Go!

Lying is outlawed and regulated in the private sector all over the place.  Apply for loan or credit card?  Sign a document under penalty of perjury.  Testify in any proceeding?  Same thing.  Sign basically any government document, from things related to car registration, taxes, etc. and your ability to lie is "limited."  Same for anyone applying for a job who lies on a job application or resume. Try cheating or lying in academics and see how much your conduct is "limited."   

Regarding stealing, the only reason I don't have the right to take your property without your consent is the law has limited my ability to do so. 

The market is not capable of completely regulating itself.  Too many crooks.  Money corrupts.  I am a big free market guy, but there have to be controls in place.  But the point is business and people have been "limited" in the marketplace. 

It sounds like you're advocating some extreme form of libertarianism.  That's just a recipe for anarchy.  There is a reason why libertarians have a such niche in the country.  It really is a form of extremism.  At least as advocated by some. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »

People should be allowed to judge you and your past actions. There's nothing wrong with that.

Santorum has made it very clear that he wants to legislate morality and people's wants and passions. He has said so. Repeatedly and unambigiously.

Way too much sensibility in this post to be on The Politics board.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 12:05:55 PM »

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 12:30:57 PM »
Lying is outlawed and regulated in the private sector all over the place.

The private sector is quite a different thing. We are talking about government-imposed limits on behavior here.

Apply for loan or credit card?  Sign a document under penalty of perjury.  Testify in any proceeding?  Same thing.  Sign basically any government document, from things related to car registration, taxes, etc. and your ability to lie is "limited."  Same for anyone applying for a job who lies on a job application or resume. Try cheating or lying in academics and see how much your conduct is "limited."

Notice that there's a distinction from government-imposed limits on behavior which was the topic of discussion. And keep in mind that consequences imposed on someone for their behavior aren't the same thing as limits on their behavior in the first place. You seem to be missing that not-so-subtle distinction.

If I choose to lie on a job application or a resume, then I can be fired or not hired. But I had no right to be hired in the first place, nor is my "behavior" limited if I'm punished for it. Similarly, if I choose to cheat or lie in academia, then I will damage my professional reputation - perhaps irreperably - and I will find it difficult to obtain gainful employment in that sector - again, my behavior won't be limited, even if I am subsequently punished for it.

I wrote "the situations where lying is legally punishable are, relatively speaking, few and far between." I stand by that statement. Lying is not generally punishable by law nor is the behavior limited. You really ought to read my post more closely - all those words I type aren't just to take up screen space; they have meaning.

Regarding stealing, the only reason I don't have the right to take your property without your consent is the law has limited my ability to do so.

BULLSHIT. You don't have the right to take my property without my consent because it's mine and not yours. That you can take it without my consent by force doesn't mean you actually have the right to. Rights don't work that way.

I strongly suggest you take a intro class in Ethics and Morality. Your local community college should offer such a course.

The market is not capable of completely regulating itself.  Too many crooks.  Money corrupts.  I am a big free market guy, but there have to be controls in place.  But the point is business and people have been "limited" in the marketplace.

The market is perfectly capable of regulating itself. As for the crooks they can and should be punished both by the market and by the government, if their actions are illegal. As for the whole "money corrupts" schtick, save us the trite clichés.

It sounds like you're advocating some extreme form of libertarianism.  That's just a recipe for anarchy.  There is a reason why libertarians have a such niche in the country.  It really is a form of extremism.  At least as advocated by some.

I am a libertarian but I don't think that there's anything extreme about what I'm advocating. Of course, writing things off as extreme is a tried and true tactic of statists and those who are fine with the status quo.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »
I don't like to Santorum...I don't like anybody who wants to limit my ability to do anything with their sense of right and wrong. The Left does this far more then the Right. The Right wants to guilt you into shit....kinda like Santorum and most of his speeches on right and wrong.  The Left imposes laws when they don't get their way. Santorum's brand of 1950's Republican nostalgia...no longer exists. We were a much more productive country, things weren't all that bad but that shipped sailed a long time ago. We've become an openly depraved society. Stupid is valued over smart. Kids graduate High School with zero civic sense. They attend college and can't point out Ireland on a map. Diversity is valued before competence.  This guy isn't the answer. The media makes him look like a fool. I'm not sure he'd be a good president anyway.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »
The private sector is quite a different thing. We are talking about government-imposed limits on behavior here.

Notice that there's a distinction from government-imposed limits on behavior which was the topic of discussion. And keep in mind that consequences imposed on someone for their behavior aren't the same thing as limits on their behavior in the first place. You seem to be missing that not-so-subtle distinction.

If I choose to lie on a job application or a resume, then I can be fired or not hired. But I had no right to be hired in the first place, nor is my "behavior" limited if I'm punished for it. Similarly, if I choose to cheat or lie in academia, then I will damage my professional reputation - perhaps irreperably - and I will find it difficult to obtain gainful employment in that sector - again, my behavior won't be limited, even if I am subsequently punished for it.

I wrote "the situations where lying is legally punishable are, relatively speaking, few and far between." I stand by that statement. Lying is not generally punishable by law nor is the behavior limited. You really ought to read my post more closely - all those words I type aren't just to take up screen space; they have meaning.

BULLSHIT. You don't have the right to take my property without my consent because it's mine and not yours. That you can take it without my consent by force doesn't mean you actually have the right to. Rights don't work that way.

I strongly suggest you take a intro class in Ethics and Morality. Your local community college should offer such a course.

The market is perfectly capable of regulating itself. As for the crooks they can and should be punished both by the market and by the government, if their actions are illegal. As for the whole "money corrupts" schtick, save us the trite clichés.

I am a libertarian but I don't think that there's anything extreme about what I'm advocating. Of course, writing things off as extreme is a tried and true tactic of statists and those who are fine with the status quo.

Yes there is a distinction between the public and private sectors.  Just pointing out that both sectors limit what you can and cannot do, including when it comes to truth telling.  

I'm sorry, but saying there is a distinction between consequences and limits on behavior makes no sense in this context.  If the consequences result in the person being unable to do what they want, then of course their behavior is being limited.  

I gave you several examples where lying is "legally punishable."  The examples I provided touch nearly every aspect of our lives.  Doesn't look like you read my post too closely.

I don't have a right to take your property because the law says stealing is a crime.  We're not talking about morality.  We're talking about whether the government (or private sector) can limit your behavior.  My ability to take your stuff without your consent is only limited by the government employing cops who will arrest me if I do so, prosecutors who will charge me, and courts that will convict me and put me in jail.  I'm not limited by some moral mandate that I don't steal from you.  

No, pure capitalism is not workable.  I think you spend too much time dealing with wild and unrealistic hypothetical situations.  Anyone paying attention to the marketplace knows there is widespread corruption, which would only get worse if government got completely out of the market.  There has to be a balance between allowing free and fair competition on one hand, and allowing people or businesses to manipulate the marketplace.  

The positions you take are exactly why libertarians make no progress in elections.  Most people don't believe in extremism, regardless of where it comes from.  

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »
I don't like to Santorum...I don't like anybody who wants to limit my ability to do anything with their sense of right and wrong. The Left does this far more then the Right. The Right wants to guilt you into shit....kinda like Santorum and most of his speeches on right and wrong.  The Left imposes laws when they don't get their way. Santorum's brand of 1950's Republican nostalgia...no longer exists. We were a much more productive country, things weren't all that bad but that shipped sailed a long time ago. We've become an openly depraved society. Stupid is valued over smart. Kids graduate High School with zero civic sense. They attend college and can't point out Ireland on a map. Diversity is valued before competence.  This guy isn't the answer. The media makes him look like a fool. I'm not sure he'd be a good president anyway.

Does one side actually do it more than the other?

It seems to me that they both want to do it, but just about different things.

2 sides of the same coin.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2014, 02:07:15 PM »
Yes there is a distinction between the public and private sectors.  Just pointing that both sectors limit what you can and cannot do, including when it comes to truth telling.

No. Establishing consequences for a certain behavior isn't the same as limiting behavior.

I'm sorry, but saying there is a distinction between consequences and limits on behavior makes no sense in this context.  If the consequences result in the person being unable to do what they want, then of course their behavior is being limited.

Juts to be clear: in your mind there's no distinction between "I don't sell alcohol to minors" and "You're a minor, you aren't allowed to drink!", right?

I gave you several examples where lying is "legally punishable."  The examples I provided touch nearly every aspect of our lives.  Doesn't look like you read my post too closely.

Except I never said that lying wasn't legally punishable. I said that there are relatively few instances where lying is legally punishable and that legally punishing false statements doesn't limit behavior. It's true.

As for the examples you provided let's go over them again, shall we?

#1: Apply for loan or credit card?  Sign a document under penalty of perjury.

I see nothing wrong with a loan or credit card issuer requiring that you commit that statements that you make are truthful. Notice, that no behavior is being limited by this action, unless you define lying itself to be the behavior that is limited. In which case, you can lie through your teeth on the document and simply refuse to sign. Or are you going to argue that not getting the loan or card will limit your behavior since you now can't go shopping at the mall?

Testify in any proceeding?  Same thing.

So don't testify. Again, unless the behavior you're claiming is being limited is lying, then it's really not. You can lie through your teeth outside proceedings where one is required to testify truthfully under penalty of perjury. Not to mention that the circumstances where testimony can be compelled are few and far between.

Sign basically any government document, from things related to car registration, taxes, etc. and your ability to lie is "limited."

Sure, many government forms must be submitted with an affidavit that the information is accurate under penalty of perjury. And? You can still choose to lie. If you do, you may end up on trial for perjury. Your behavior isn't limited - you just have consequences associated with it.

Same for anyone applying for a job who lies on a job application or resume. Try cheating or lying in academics and see how much your conduct is "limited."

If I lie I may not get or subsequently lose a job that I got under false pretenses. And if I cheat or lie in academia then I will suffer harm in my professional reputation and may face consequences from my academic institution, professional organizations, entities which have given me grants and colleagues. But in both cases, I will only suffer the consequences of my behavior. My ability to lie isn't limited.

I don't have a right to take your property because the law says stealing is a crime.

Whether the law says it's a crime or not, you don't have a right to take my property without my consent. If you did, it wouldn't be my property. You seem confused about what a right is.

We're not talking about morality.  We're talking about whether the government (or private sector) can limit your behavior.  My ability to take your stuff without your consent is only limited by the government employing cops who will arrest me if I do so, prosecutors who will charge me, and courts that will convict me and put me in jail.  I'm not limited by some moral mandate that I don't steal from you.

No, your ability to take my stuff isn't limited by the government employing cops. Your "ability" to take my stuff is the same whether stealing is a crime or not and whether the government employs cops or not. If you do choose to steal, there are consequences. The consequences don't limit your behavior - you can still choose to steal.

No, pure capitalism is not workable.  I think you spend too much time dealing with wild and unrealistic hypothetical situations.  Anyone paying attention to the marketplace knows there is widespread corruption, which would only get worse if government got completely out of the market.  There has to be a balance between allowing free and fair competition on one hand, and allowing people or businesses to manipulate the marketplace.

What exactly does "fair competition" mean and how does the hand of government help ensure fairness? And how is a market in which the goverment enforces fairness free? I'm not opposed to all government regulations (for example, I think it's reasonable to have rules that prohibit the sale of hydrogen cyanide labeled as water) even if those regulations could limit behavior - but only whe

The positions you take are exactly why libertarians make no progress in elections.  Most people don't believe in extremism, regardless of where it comes from.

The reason why libertarians make no progress in elections is because Americans only know two letters: D and R.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 04:17:33 PM »
No. Establishing consequences for a certain behavior isn't the same as limiting behavior.

Juts to be clear: in your mind there's no distinction between "I don't sell alcohol to minors" and "You're a minor, you aren't allowed to drink!", right?

Except I never said that lying wasn't legally punishable. I said that there are relatively few instances where lying is legally punishable and that legally punishing false statements doesn't limit behavior. It's true.

As for the examples you provided let's go over them again, shall we?

#1: Apply for loan or credit card?  Sign a document under penalty of perjury.

I see nothing wrong with a loan or credit card issuer requiring that you commit that statements that you make are truthful. Notice, that no behavior is being limited by this action, unless you define lying itself to be the behavior that is limited. In which case, you can lie through your teeth on the document and simply refuse to sign. Or are you going to argue that not getting the loan or card will limit your behavior since you now can't go shopping at the mall?

Testify in any proceeding?  Same thing.

So don't testify. Again, unless the behavior you're claiming is being limited is lying, then it's really not. You can lie through your teeth outside proceedings where one is required to testify truthfully under penalty of perjury. Not to mention that the circumstances where testimony can be compelled are few and far between.

Sign basically any government document, from things related to car registration, taxes, etc. and your ability to lie is "limited."

Sure, many government forms must be submitted with an affidavit that the information is accurate under penalty of perjury. And? You can still choose to lie. If you do, you may end up on trial for perjury. Your behavior isn't limited - you just have consequences associated with it.

Same for anyone applying for a job who lies on a job application or resume. Try cheating or lying in academics and see how much your conduct is "limited."

If I lie I may not get or subsequently lose a job that I got under false pretenses. And if I cheat or lie in academia then I will suffer harm in my professional reputation and may face consequences from my academic institution, professional organizations, entities which have given me grants and colleagues. But in both cases, I will only suffer the consequences of my behavior. My ability to lie isn't limited.

Whether the law says it's a crime or not, you don't have a right to take my property without my consent. If you did, it wouldn't be my property. You seem confused about what a right is.

No, your ability to take my stuff isn't limited by the government employing cops. Your "ability" to take my stuff is the same whether stealing is a crime or not and whether the government employs cops or not. If you do choose to steal, there are consequences. The consequences don't limit your behavior - you can still choose to steal.

What exactly does "fair competition" mean and how does the hand of government help ensure fairness? And how is a market in which the goverment enforces fairness free? I'm not opposed to all government regulations (for example, I think it's reasonable to have rules that prohibit the sale of hydrogen cyanide labeled as water) even if those regulations could limit behavior - but only whe

The reason why libertarians make no progress in elections is because Americans only know two letters: D and R.

I don't understand your alcohol question, but that's another area where government limits what people under 21 can or cannot drink.  

You don't have the right to lie on government documents.  If you do, you can be fined or imprisoned.  As a result, most people don't lie on government documents.  So yes, the government has limited their behavior.  

You are really reaching.  If you lie on your resume and your employer finds out about it, you likely lose the ability to continue working for that employer.  So yes, your ability to lie in that instance is limited.

Your stealing example really doesn't make sense.  Are you seriously suggesting that the law does not deter people from stealing?  If so, then of course the law (i.e., government) limits people's behavior.  And we'll just have to agree to disagree about whether prohibition and consequences are different in this context.  

Fair competition means you as employer cannot send in a spy to your competitor, have the spy sign a confidentiality and noncompete agreement, steal trade secrets, and then come back and give those trade secrets to the employer.  I could give you about 100 examples of reasonable marketplace controls like that, which help ensure "fair" competition.  

It's true the country only pays attention to two parties, but that is largely because a third party has not given people a reasonable alternative.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 07:05:26 PM »
I don't understand your alcohol question, but that's another area where government limits what people under 21 can or cannot drink.

Actually most states only prohibit the purchase of alcohol by those under 21 - only a handful prohibit consumption. As for the point, you stated: "If the consequences result in the person being unable to do what they want, then of course their behavior is being limited." But that's just not true. The consequences of alcohol not being sold to minors doesn't limit a minor's behavior.

You don't have the right to lie on government documents.  If you do, you can be fined or imprisoned.  As a result, most people don't lie on government documents.  So yes, the government has limited their behavior.  

You use the word "right" way too much and way too loosely. I don't have a right to lie anymore than I have a right to a new BMW every year. I can lie on government documents if I so choose - the Government cannot prevent me from doing so; all it can do is punish me for lying.

You are really reaching.  If you lie on your resume and your employer finds out about it, you likely lose the ability to continue working for that employer.  So yes, your ability to lie in that instance is limited.

Of course - if my employer discovers that I got my job under false pretenses I may lose my job. But that doesn't limit my ability to lie. I can lie all I want. I can go through interviews and lie openly if I so choose and I cannot be punished for that. Not getting a job isn't punishment in the sense that I wasn't entitled to it in the first place.

Your stealing example really doesn't make sense.  Are you seriously suggesting that the law does not deter people from stealing?  If so, then of course the law (i.e., government) limits people's behavior.  And we'll just have to agree to disagree about whether prohibition and consequences are different in this context.  

No, I am suggesting that taking my property without my consent would be wrong whether it was codified as a crime or not because violating my rights (in this case, my property rights) is inherently wrong. Of course punishment functions as a potential deterrent. But the law itself doesn't limit people's behavior - after all, the law is "don't steal" and people still steal.

Fair competition means you as employer cannot send in a spy to your competitor, have the spy sign a confidentiality and noncompete agreement, steal trade secrets, and then come back and give those trade secrets to the employer.  I could give you about 100 examples of reasonable marketplace controls like that, which help ensure "fair" competition.

First of all, that's not "marketplace control" in any sensible sense of the term. Sure, you can't spy on your competitor but that's not because the marketplace needs to be fair, but because you cannot steal their intellectual property. It's got nothing to do with "fair" competition either.

It's true the country only pays attention to two parties, but that is largely because a third party has not given people a reasonable alternative.

That's a matter of opinion.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 11:48:13 AM »
Actually most states only prohibit the purchase of alcohol by those under 21 - only a handful prohibit consumption. As for the point, you stated: "If the consequences result in the person being unable to do what they want, then of course their behavior is being limited." But that's just not true. The consequences of alcohol not being sold to minors doesn't limit a minor's behavior.

You use the word "right" way too much and way too loosely. I don't have a right to lie anymore than I have a right to a new BMW every year. I can lie on government documents if I so choose - the Government cannot prevent me from doing so; all it can do is punish me for lying.

Of course - if my employer discovers that I got my job under false pretenses I may lose my job. But that doesn't limit my ability to lie. I can lie all I want. I can go through interviews and lie openly if I so choose and I cannot be punished for that. Not getting a job isn't punishment in the sense that I wasn't entitled to it in the first place.

No, I am suggesting that taking my property without my consent would be wrong whether it was codified as a crime or not because violating my rights (in this case, my property rights) is inherently wrong. Of course punishment functions as a potential deterrent. But the law itself doesn't limit people's behavior - after all, the law is "don't steal" and people still steal.

First of all, that's not "marketplace control" in any sensible sense of the term. Sure, you can't spy on your competitor but that's not because the marketplace needs to be fair, but because you cannot steal their intellectual property. It's got nothing to do with "fair" competition either.

That's a matter of opinion.

We're kinda going in circles, but prohibiting conduct is the same as limiting that same conduct. 

Regarding stealing, we're not talking about morality or what is inherently wrong or right.  The issue (that you raised) was whether government limits conduct.  Yes, the government limits my ability to steal your stuff.  The basis for that limitation likely includes issues of morality, etc., but at the end of the day, it's the government that limits people's ability to steal.  No, that doesn't mean laws deter all people from stealing. 

And if you think we don't need laws prohibiting stealing, you should take a closer look at what happens almost anytime there is a natural disaster, massive extended power outage, etc.  There is looting.  Chaos.  Remember Katrina?  Even the cops turned into criminals.  We are one step removed from anarchy.  And the main thing keeping it from happening isn't some inherent sense of right and wrong.  It's laws, cops with guns, courts, and prisons. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »

It has everything to do with fair competition.  You have never heard of businesses being sued for "unfair competition"? 

And it isn't limited to "intellectual property" (i.e., patents, trademarks, etc.).  It's about confidential customer lists.  Confidential market research.  Training.  A host of other things. 

But under the form of libertarianism that you appear to be advocating, none of those marketplace controls would be in effect.  Most reasonable business people would not support that kind of Wild Wild West environment.  Neither would most reasonable consumers, particularly after the costs of goods and services increase.